rugbyunion
Latest News:

Quinssa WebsiteQuins News from News NowQuins Official Site

Playing through the pain - a sobering read.
Boonie (IP Logged)
12 October, 2017 11:44
From the Beeb

The story of rugby's injury crisis from the players, a coach and a doctor, including Ugo.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to bleat about it all over the internet"

Re: Playing through the pain - a sobering read.
Scaramouche (IP Logged)
12 October, 2017 12:11
Crikey that makes you think. Personally, my playing days were ended by a double arm fracture caused by one of my own players coming in late to a ruck after the whistle had gone...was starting a new job the following Monday and it was pointed out to me by the long haired general that something had to give. I also take 30 minutes or so to start moving freely each day and I currently have shares in the manufacturers of Ibuprofen.

Would I ever play again?

In a heartbeat.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Snowman (IP Logged)
12 October, 2017 13:29
Excellent article with minimal editorial
Letting those involved speak for themselves
I am now beginning to question whether professional rugby will be able to find a way out of the injury/concussion problems which will not result in wholesale changes to the nature of the game

talkshowhost86 (IP Logged)
12 October, 2017 15:38
Quote:
Snowman
Excellent article with minimal editorial
Letting those involved speak for themselves
I am now beginning to question whether professional rugby will be able to find a way out of the injury/concussion problems which will not result in wholesale changes to the nature of the game

It certainly poses a question to the 'let the boys play' brigade who would happily let it go on as it is as long as they're enjoying it from the sidelines.

The simple problem is the size and speed of players these days means that the game is brutal. Obviously hits and injuries are a part of the game and nobody wants to see that diminished, but if this season turns out to not be a blip in terms of injuries, then I don't see how the RFU and co will get away with doing nothing.

I think step one has to be reducing the number of games played (not just spacing them out more and eating into pre-season).

As a starter, I for one would happily see the back of the LV Cup in its current format, perhaps with it being a mandatory youth tournament if people still want the same number of games to watch.

Fursty (IP Logged)
13 October, 2017 09:32
Think we'd all do well to think of this next time we're about to slag one of the players off. There's certainly players in the Quins squad managing chronic injuries.

MrOther (IP Logged)
13 October, 2017 10:24
Chilling.

It isn't the main point but: there is absolutely no way the premiership can be allowed to extend the season.

How do we, how do I lend effective support to players (such as Mike Brown) who have the guts to stand up and say "enough is enough"? And please don't suggest refusing to watch the game, because that simply isn't an option.

Scaramouche (IP Logged)
13 October, 2017 13:11
Quote:
MrOther
Chilling.
It isn't the main point but: there is absolutely no way the premiership can be allowed to extend the season.

How do we, how do I lend effective support to players (such as Mike Brown) who have the guts to stand up and say "enough is enough"? And please don't suggest refusing to watch the game, because that simply isn't an option.

Off the top of my head I'd say start a petition. You could get the ball rolling by posting it on all the other Clubs Forums and go from there. If you get 500,000 dont you get a debate in Parliament or something?

Illegitimi non carborundum

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net