rugbyunion
Latest News:

Quinssa WebsiteQuins News from News NowQuins Official Site

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Re: Match Thread Quins v La Rochelle
PeterboroughQuin (IP Logged)
14 October, 2017 16:07
Live on Sky Sports. Got my Now TV Sky Sports pass to watch the game. Going to be a tough game.

14 October, 2017 16:19
High tackle by Visser. La Roch go for a line out. TRY to the french 3 mins

14 October, 2017 16:19
0-7

HonkyTonk (IP Logged)
14 October, 2017 16:20
Hmmmm, my five point win has started well

14 October, 2017 16:27
Pen to Quins. 3-7 10 mins

14 October, 2017 16:29
Pen to La Roch 3-10 13 mins

14 October, 2017 16:33
TRY QUINS 15 mins Matthews and con 10-10

QuincyJones (IP Logged)
14 October, 2017 16:45
Good call on pen against Brown...hands on the floor. Just hope ref is now consistent on that throughout the game because it's a difficult one to be consistent on!

TRY quins...lovely stuff! Could be a high scorer, this one!

QuinAlan (IP Logged)
14 October, 2017 16:35
Not many there, including me, watching on the sofa. Smith & Roberts combining well so far. Forgot how tiresome Stuart Barnes commentary is.

QuinAlan (IP Logged)
14 October, 2017 16:43
Try for La Rochelle all started from an awful kick away from Care.

QuincyJones (IP Logged)
14 October, 2017 16:58
Quote:
QuinAlan
Not many there, including me, watching on the sofa. Smith & Roberts combining well so far. Forgot how tiresome Stuart Barnes commentary is.

Agreed. 'Dave Horwell'...how does Barnes still have a job?

QuinAlan (IP Logged)
14 October, 2017 16:46
Nick Evans on yv interview saying Quins plan is to run them off the park, so why stupidly kick it away?? Smarten up guys!

QuinAlan (IP Logged)
14 October, 2017 16:48
Another La Rochelle try. Nightmare from Quins. 10-22

14 October, 2017 16:48
Another Try for La Rochelle. 10-22

QuincyJones (IP Logged)
14 October, 2017 17:03
I'm not panicked yet.. we look like we've got the better of them. Just need to be calm and smarter with the ball.

QuinAlan (IP Logged)
14 October, 2017 16:50
Quins try from Marchant after strong break from Brown. 15-24

14 October, 2017 16:50
Marchant TRY

14 October, 2017 16:58
Exciting stuff at The Stoop

T-Bone (IP Logged)
14 October, 2017 17:15
We look good in attack but waving them through in defence. Some silly decision making at times. How many times do we screw up attacking lineouts 5m out

raedarius (IP Logged)
14 October, 2017 17:08
Communication in the last line out was ridiculous. Matthews nowhere near ready as the ball sailed over him.

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
14 October, 2017 17:08
It's only a shot to nothing if you take the points! Otherwise it's a lottery.

QuinAlan (IP Logged)
14 October, 2017 17:12
But we're still in it to win it. If the score was 0-7 at HT we'd be thinking fairly positive. Its just been such a helter skelter first half its quite difficult to workout where we are at. COYQ

QuinAlan (IP Logged)
14 October, 2017 17:16
Superb line break by Glynn from a delayed Smith pass, but no support. Smith is playing delightfully.

QuinAlan (IP Logged)
14 October, 2017 17:19
But then he misses a crucial tackle & quins defence opens up like a cheesegrater. La rochelle 4th try & BP. 17-31.

QuinAlan (IP Logged)
14 October, 2017 17:24
We surely must get some structure into our play or I fear they will outscore us in the helter skelter game. They are deadly on turnover ball.

T-Bone (IP Logged)
14 October, 2017 17:41
Take horwill off not Matthews.

T-Bone (IP Logged)
14 October, 2017 18:04
Because we scored two tries from kicks last week we've obviously decided to kick every when in their 22. Keep the ball and we can score

QuinAlan (IP Logged)
14 October, 2017 17:53
Very impressed with Sailli since he came on, but we're still 10 ppints behind. 6 mins to go.

T-Bone (IP Logged)
14 October, 2017 18:18
Garbage. Tackling optional. When in doubt kick it away or try the miracle play. Yet again no intensity. No doubt jk will say its positive to get a lbp in our first proper European game in three years

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
14 October, 2017 18:08
Honestly? That was shambolic.i know the usual chaos will tell me we stood up to a physical side and got a bonus, but you don't lose you home game sin Europe and live to tell the tail. We had t
Most of the ball, but they scored off early phase ball. Their bonus try came from first phase ball - unforgivable. Stop playing blind, it's not a good tactic when you get bundled into touch. Stop kicking grubbers in their 22, unless you're going to take the points on advantage.

Dibden (IP Logged)
14 October, 2017 18:11
Let in 4 tries at home to European new boys with few big names is hardly acceptable.Usual Exit from 1st round seems likely.Feeling flat

T-Bone (IP Logged)
14 October, 2017 18:32
The really disappointing thing was how slow we were. Care was poor today. Marchant and brown mixed good with dross. Glynn is so out of his depth. Game changer Lewis. His pass is worse than Simpson's. Not sure coaches can be blamed for that too much, just poor playzalthough I do wonder what happens in our lineout practice

QuinAlan (IP Logged)
14 October, 2017 18:21
Was trying to be kind in my comments but in reality our defence was shocking at times, agree with Stuart Barnes for once in that we have no ball carriers, & it all seemed to be a case of just go out there, forget any gameplan, & just play on the hoof. Very disappointing from Quins, but La Rochelle look pretty useful, thought Ryan Lamb had a good game for them & kicked well. We should concentrate on getting players fit & on the Premiership. Having said that we can win at Wasps again if we stick to a plan, & might be competitive against Ulster. Sides have qualified despite losing their first game in the past, just dont feel we are strong enough to do that.

14 October, 2017 18:42
Quote:
T-Bone
The really disappointing thing was how slow we were. Care was poor today. Marchant and brown mixed good with dross. Glynn is so out of his depth. Game changer Lewis. His pass is worse than Simpson's. Not sure coaches can be blamed for that too much, just poor playzalthough I do wonder what happens in our lineout practice

Unless Mulchrone is crocked, the blame lies squarely at the feet of the coaches who alighted on Exeter's third choice scrum half and said, "Yup, he'll improve the matchday squad."

Rocker (IP Logged)
14 October, 2017 18:32
Yes first up defence was poor again :-( but in the plus side or attack was good, it would have been nice if we'd had a bank to play with rather than a bar of soap too... Shame that a couple of vital lineouts went astray too. Thought the almost guaranteed 3 and a losing bonus was the right decision at the end. We'd struggled to get over the whitewash all evening, not helped by lots of (very obvious) off sideand hands in....

14 October, 2017 18:52
Crap defence.

Vital lineouts astray.

This match summary brought to you by every season bar about two in the last 20 years.

Rocker (IP Logged)
14 October, 2017 18:43
Quote:
Battering Ram Winger
Unless Mulchrone is crocked, the blame lies squarely at the feet of the coaches who alighted on Exeter's third choice scrum half and said, "Yup, he'll improve the matchday squad."
Perhaps they thought he loved like care and that would be enough... He's a bit rubbish though...

Adi Nako (IP Logged)
14 October, 2017 18:44
Well, I enjoyed that game. Well played Last Rochelle.

godzilla73 (IP Logged)
14 October, 2017 19:15
Hmmm...you people on here are truly hilarious.

Scaramouche (IP Logged)
14 October, 2017 19:04
Great entertainment Quins shame about the result. Let's beat them away now.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Grumpy Bloke (IP Logged)
14 October, 2017 19:28
Entertaining game to watch but thought the atmosphere at the Stoop was a little muted. La Rochelle marked Danny Care out of the game. Thought Roberts and Matthews had good games today and we scored some good tries. Unfortunately, our defence was poor, we leaked soft tries and we lack punch close to the line. Would have liked to see some more of the younger players brought on. Unlikely that we'll get out of the group, so we should be giving future players the experience for next year.

SiBolton (IP Logged)
14 October, 2017 19:35
Defence let us down again, and lack of support on crucial breaks
That being said, you have to wonder why the linesman where there as well
Will wait for the DOR comments, but beaten by thebetter team, who had some real " go forward" thought we might tire them out but they just kept going
If we don't get a good result next weekend that's probably us out you'd have to think

10 (IP Logged)
14 October, 2017 19:56
Much as I enjoyed the game, I'm now leaning towards Quins concentrating on the league.

Sadly it's about managing our resources this season given the injuries.

Let everyone in the squad get exposure at this level. Will serve us well going forwards.

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
14 October, 2017 19:52
I thought we played well overall and just didn't have the finishing touch. A few standout performances, Smith just gets better and better, Brown is clearly back, and most surprising for me was that we more than held our own at scrum time.

We can't win every game, and there were mistakes, but overall many would've prayed for that performance last season.

number_seven (IP Logged)
14 October, 2017 20:13
I thought it was a good game overall. La Rochelle played with confidence. Roberts and smith both stood out for quins.

RleQuin (IP Logged)
14 October, 2017 20:58
Does anyone still believe the BS spouted by the club? I had to laugh when they said Alofa had stated that we are going to run them off the park. When will these people wake up to the fact that they are just doing the opposition DoRs pre match talk for him!!
Just look at our record in the HC - we are not going to qualify AGAIN!!
As I've said on numerous occasions, our form is too up and down - good week, bad week.
Very disappointing!
RleQ

Months KYT (IP Logged)
14 October, 2017 22:05
Thought LR were a great team . Exciting to see a French
Team they can actually play away from home. Early contenders for the title ? Possibly

Quartermaster67 (IP Logged)
14 October, 2017 22:20
I wonder how many of the worst critics of Quins performance above were actually present at the game as opposed to forming their opinions based upon Sky TV's commentary on their TV at home ? I enjoyed the game live and thought some of Quins attacking play was the best I've seen for several seasons. There was an intensity tonight not obvious during the Premiership games. Marcus Smith was outstanding and is the talisman for a threatening back line that Quins haven't had for many years. We lost to La Rochelle who were top of the Top 14 at the end of last season so nobody should be fooled by the 'newcomers' or 'dark horses' tag that so called pundits have given them. Their pack was enormous and yet we somehow managed parity in the scrums and the rucks. The pace of the game meant that our rush defence didn't have time to form effectively so we need to adapt, but I could see La Rochelle winning 6/6 so we earned a very valuable LBP tonight which is the least we deserved.

Quaking Quin (IP Logged)
14 October, 2017 23:04
I have been a long standing critic and went to the game today.

A great match that has given me optimism for the first time in a long time. The squad is too light for Europe but a top 4 in the Aviva should be possible if the team play with the same enthusiasm and commitment for 80 minutes as they did this evening.

Agree with everything Q67 said.

Also thought Marcus Smith was outstanding.

He brings the backs to life. His speed, skills, decisiveness and nerve bring a new energy to the whole squad, which we all should hope can be repeated on a regular basis.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 14/10/2017 23:08 by Quaking Quin.

Tonbridge Quin (IP Logged)
14 October, 2017 23:41
Interesting to see how everyone has has an opinion on how the lads played, which of course they are entitled to, but did anyone see how incensed big Joe was with the certain members of the crowd leaving with 5 minutes to go and us with a scrum on the LR 5m line?

QuickerQuin (IP Logged)
15 October, 2017 04:25
Quote:
Tonbridge Quin
did anyone see how incensed big Joe was with the certain members of the crowd leaving with 5 minutes to go and us with a scrum on the LR 5m line?

Well possibly, but they pay his wages and they can leave when they want to.

No, I wasn't one of them!

Quinten Poulsen (IP Logged)
15 October, 2017 04:30
La Rochelle looked like a really good side. Congrats to them.

Shame some of our fans are complete morons.

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
15 October, 2017 06:55
Quote:
Quinten Poulsen
La Rochelle looked like a really good side. Congrats to them.
Shame some of our fans are complete morons.

Isn't it.

blucherquin (IP Logged)
15 October, 2017 07:14
Quote:
RleQuin
Does anyone still believe the BS spouted by the club? I had to laugh when they said Alofa had stated that we are going to run them off the park. When will these people wake up to the fact that they are just doing the opposition DoRs pre match talk for him!!
As I've said on numerous occasions, our form is too up and down - good week, bad week.
Very disappointing!
RleQ

Well we must be due a bad week next week then because that was a good peformance and we were beaten by a better team.

talkshowhost86 (IP Logged)
15 October, 2017 07:51
I think we were done by the injuries in the end.

La Rochelle were much the better team and we did very well to get within one score ultimately.

Some of our basics were painfully poor at crucial moments which was disappointing but considering how weak our pack was we did pretty well.

The atmosphere was awful last night I thought and now that we’re basically out already I assume it’ll be the same for the next two games in the group but I think the effort shown last night deserves a bit more from the crowd.

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
15 October, 2017 07:54
Some posters seem oblivious to the fact that Là Rochelle are a very good team who played well. It is possible room play well but lose to a better team. Some of those posters used to say that it didn't matter so much if we lost, as long as we put in a performance. Now it seems that if we lose, we must be terrible.

DOK (IP Logged)
15 October, 2017 07:53
La Rochelle were everything I expected except in the scrum. Congratulations to our scrum for getting parity there, I expected them to be mullered.

QuickerQuin (IP Logged)
15 October, 2017 09:22
Quote:
talkshowhost86

that we’re basically out already I assume it’ll be the same

What do the squiggly bits mean?

Barnetsarrie12 (IP Logged)
15 October, 2017 09:24
Just my two pence from the outside, i enjoyed this game and i thought quins played well. I don't think objectively that you guys are at the stage to be challenging for the European cup and there is no shame in losing to LA Rochelle. I think some posters on here are massively oblivious to how good they are, they are the best team in this pool by some way imo and one of the best teams in europe, that's not where you guys are at the moment so no shame in losing to them

Rocker (IP Logged)
15 October, 2017 09:39
I certainly wasn't expecting to win, but to get so close and be undone by some poor execution at critical times was disappointing as I felt we could have got that had we not knocked on so much and been able to throw / catch a couple of critical line outs.

Scaramouche (IP Logged)
15 October, 2017 10:46
How good was that LR defence?

RleQuin (IP Logged)
15 October, 2017 11:24
Quote:
blucherquin
Quote:
RleQuin
Very disappointing!
RleQ

Well we must be due a bad week next week then because that was a good peformance and we were beaten by a better team.

I don't agree.
We made far too many mistakes as usual.
Cut those out and we would have won.
RleQ

Rocker (IP Logged)
15 October, 2017 11:35
Quote:
Scaramouche
How good was that LR defence?

Good but illegal.
Hands in every ruck and offside a lot but sir and goods assistants didn't seem to notice....

Bolly-Quin (IP Logged)
15 October, 2017 19:43
Quote:
RodneyRegis
Honestly? That was shambolic.i know the usual chaos will tell me we stood up to a physical side and got a bonus, but you don't lose you home game sin Europe and live to tell the tail. We had t
Most of the ball, but they scored off early phase ball. Their bonus try came from first phase ball - unforgivable. Stop playing blind, it's not a good tactic when you get bundled into touch. Stop kicking grubbers in their 22, unless you're going to take the points on advantage.

Hardly a shambles - hyperbole.

You have to try different moves/channels and the grubber kicks nearly paid off. If I have a problem (other than the defence on their first phase, which agree with you, there) it's the predictability at restarts and hammering the line and getting nowhere. Pull back and take drop goal and get back down there. We had momentum in the last 15 and kept bashing line getting nothing. Have to mix it up.

If Brown touches that kick down - hero; misses it - shambles.

Yes - we could have won - not winning isn't a shambles, its inaccuracy in attack and below par defence.

Bolly-Quin (IP Logged)
15 October, 2017 19:44
Saints losing at home to Sarries in the manner they did was a shambles (but all credit to Sarries).

QuinAlan (IP Logged)
15 October, 2017 19:52
Terrible game for Saints, but our loss is still disappointing enough. Still feel our tactics were naive & way too loose. La Rochelle were good but did we make them look better than they are?

Bolly-Quin (IP Logged)
15 October, 2017 20:23
Disappointing, yes: a shambles? I don't think so.

Quins4life (IP Logged)
15 October, 2017 20:35
I think it was more frustrating than anything else. We pushed a really, really good side and could have won it. But it is very tough to come back against teams when you give them a 17 point lead, even though we werent helped by the ref in the final 15 minutes when we closed the gap to 10. He allowed them to slow the game down completely, removing any momentum we had. Also his and his linemen's inability to ref the offside line for much of the second half didn't help.

I think having so many injuries in the back row isn't helping as its putting a huge amount of pressure and work onto Robshaws shoulders. The balance wasn't right at the weekend, and we really missed the breakdown skills of a Wallace or a clifford as they could get quick ball which their style of play thrives off.

However, this is a side building slowly and i can definitely see progress from last season, as a team and with some individuals. Matthews is looking great, Roberts looks reinvigorated. The performances are there, and once we find that final 10% we are going to be some force.
We are going to fully click at some point and whilst European progression is going to be difficult now, I expect a full assault on the Top 4.

Adi Nako (IP Logged)
15 October, 2017 21:02
Could have been worse, we could have been drawn in Saracens group.

QuincyJones (IP Logged)
15 October, 2017 22:13
Some of the stuff being said on here is just ridiculous.

La Rochelle finished top of the Top14 last season. They were the best and most consistent team in the entire league, by a LONG way.

We have had lots of players missing and one or two who have only just come back into European action and while we made some mistakes that the boys will be kicking themselves for, I take a lot of heart from that result, disappointed as I am.

We've got a great chance to do the double over Wasps, have a fighting chance against Ulster and if we can get some form going and get some injured lads back you never know what we're capable of in France.

Quins were written off against Stade Francais by everyone and we beat them in their backyard, albeit a few years back.

PS - What exactly did Dave Lewis do wrong so p!ss you all off?! I thought he was pretty snappy when he came on and did a pretty decent job in the circumstances of chasing a game.

Scaramouche (IP Logged)
16 October, 2017 01:23
One poster whinged about Dave Lewis...I think he did ok.

QuincyJones (IP Logged)
16 October, 2017 06:58
Quote:
Scaramouche
One poster whinged about Dave Lewis...I think he did ok.

Good point, I retract 'all'!

T-Bone (IP Logged)
16 October, 2017 11:41
Having had time to reflect over the weekend, I'm still very frustrated.

For the smug posters who assume that because I'm disappointed we lost it means I've never heard of La Rochelle or know where they finished up last season, thanks, but I'm well aware of that. Just because the opposition might be statistically better than you, doesn't mean a loss can't be disappointing.

What annoyed me is that despite them being a very good team, we easily could have won if some of our senior players had had more composure. They were a huge team, and there was a lot of talk about running them around to tire them out. But then we kept trying to score off one or two phases, kicking the ball away, trying the miracle play. Had we had more patience, and defended better, we could have won. That is what I find so frustrating. The relative merits of each team prior to the match are all very well and good, but when you have a great chance of winning but mess it up due to silly errors, it is very annoying.

Reading back the reports of the game, Will Fraser was saying much the same. Thought we looked good and could have won but for trying to force the game instead of building up.

Anyway, my reaction straight after the game was almost certainly over the top but even having given it some time I still think it's 4 points dropped rather than 1 gained.

Stooperman (IP Logged)
16 October, 2017 12:19
^^

Totally true T-Bone. But I suspect that most of our match day reports even going back to the time of Adrian Stoop would have read much the same. Harlequins showed flair and skill in attack, but were undone by their lack of inclination to defend!

Apart from the backbone instilled by Deano (or COS depending on your point of view) for a few years, we have always been a cup side capable of marvellous performances but not too good at the hard graft over the course of a season.

PLus ca change.

MrOther (IP Logged)
16 October, 2017 17:49
Quote:
T-Bone
What annoyed me is that despite them being a very good team, we easily could have won if some of our senior players had had more composure.

Agree absolutely.

"Camped right on the visitors line, we lack the composure or patience to make it pay" is a line out of the match report which I sent to DOK last night. Hopefully that report will appear on the board soon. Not that it's envelope-reshaping journalism or anything, but it takes a remarkable amount of time to write such a thing (I now discover) and I don't want to see the effort go to waste.

:-)

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net