rugbyunion
Latest News:

Quinssa WebsiteQuins News from News NowQuins Official Site

Enjoying it more this season
claphamquin (IP Logged)
15 October, 2017 09:06
I know the results aren't there but I'm personally enjoying it a lot more this season. We're scoring some good tries, throwing the ball around and are averaging 29 pts a game in the Prem versus 20 pts three years ago (a miserable season).

It feels like we're making progress and as a STH, obviously I'd love us to win but the bare minimum is watching good rugby (even if often played by the opposition!!)

You can't afford to lose your first home game in Europe and give the oppo a BP in the process so it's looking unlikely we'll go anywhere in that comp but we could get another top 6 (maybe 5th) which would be progress. Would that buy JK at least one more season, probably especially with this summer being a real change to make changes with some money in the bank (big salary savings on Roberts definitely and maybe Brown?)

All in all, I'm as positive as I've been for 3-4 years!

Re: Enjoying it more this season
Robertquin (IP Logged)
15 October, 2017 09:22
I was thinking this myself. We've lost games we might have won but a lot of things are better and the ones we lost have been closer. It's more about margins now rather than being clueless at times. Ratching up a notch and it would be great.

talkshowhost86 (IP Logged)
15 October, 2017 09:43
Just watching smith alone is more exciting than last season. Generally we do look better in attack although some catching practice in important situations should be on the cards.

In terms of where we’ll finish and what that means for JK I can’t see us finishing higher than 6th with our inconsistency but we’ve also got a lot of players out at the moment so that might make a difference.

For JK 6th has to be the minimum. The Champions Cup was always going to be a bit of a sideshow and we have to treat it that way now.

Lower than 6th and I think we need to be looking elsewhere coach-wise.

claphamquin (IP Logged)
15 October, 2017 09:31
We're definitely more competitive home and away unlike the last couple of seasons. I think we've made quite a lot of progress this season so far but others have also done the same (e.g. Newcastle). Still a fair bit off top 4 for me but heading in the right direction (just hoping the Irish game at the start of the season doesn't come back to haunt us!)

Scaramouche (IP Logged)
15 October, 2017 10:33
You have to win your home games. Leicester and La Rochelle are going to hurt...

Illegitimi non carborundum

Nev's Left Boot (IP Logged)
15 October, 2017 12:24
Losing home games is going to hurt us, no doubt, but winning teams are built over seasons, (plural) not one - THis team is evolving, it is moving forward, just like when Deano was in charge, incremental improvements - I like it and I would rather watch us play at the moment.

If we're going to lose matches then i'd rather it was like the Leicester or La Rochelle games than some of the pitiful capitulations of last season and the season before

Throw in the missing players and how much growth the team can still make and i have to be happy.....

Doesn't change the fact that Winning is always better than not winning!

Stooperman (IP Logged)
15 October, 2017 13:30
^^

Have to agree that our attacking play is looking much better & I think Marcus Smith is a large factor in that. Sailli looked good too.

Very happy that we held our own against an extremely good LR side. We are not ready to eat at the top table with them just yet, but that was a good performance.

However, I see no signs of our defence improving and that has got to be a worry. We have scored 60 points more than we had at this stage last season, but we have undone all of that by shipping an additional 58. Also, last year we were unbeaten at The Stoop until January - this year we've lost two and its not even the end of October.

So yes, there has been some progress, but there has also been some regression. We also need to be planning for Horwill, Robshaw,Care and Brown to be on the downhill slide of their careers from about next year onwards - nobody can beat Father Time.

Scaramouche (IP Logged)
16 October, 2017 01:06
Is Minty our Defence Coach......

johnlid (IP Logged)
16 October, 2017 08:30
Quote:
Scaramouche
Is Minty our Defence Coach......

Well, that's his job description but I think he's on a sabbatical at the moment judging by some of our defence on Saturday (admittedly against a very good side)

16 October, 2017 08:33
Quote:
Nev's Left Boot
Losing home games is going to hurt us, no doubt, but winning teams are built over seasons, (plural) not one - THis team is evolving, it is moving forward, just like when Deano was in charge, incremental improvements - I like it and I would rather watch us play at the moment.
If we're going to lose matches then i'd rather it was like the Leicester or La Rochelle games than some of the pitiful capitulations of last season and the season before

Throw in the missing players and how much growth the team can still make and i have to be happy.....

I'm not sure we can call it 'moving forward' just yet.

Ultimately, in the league, we've lost two games that we won last year (if you swap London Irish for Bristol) and won one that we lost. Then we've had one performance in Europe which whilst better than some of us thought it would be, was still ultimately a home defeat.

We're a place lower in the league than we finished last year, and we've made it incredibly hard now for us to get out of Champions Cup group.

So I think to say we're moving forwards is a big claim based on what we've seen so far.

The main mitigating factor at the moment is the injuries. When we get some of those players back we'll hopefully be a very different prospect and then can actually start moving forwards.

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
16 October, 2017 08:38
The attack has definitely shown massive improvement. There were games last year when we simply couldn't break the line and teams were smashing us back repeatedly. We're now having really significant gainline success, but I have to agree that the defence is a real problem. I know people will scoff as we have no right to beat these sides, but I just don't see how people can excuse the bonus points we keep on shipping.

Irish - 4 tries
Glaws - 2
Wasps - 2
Tigers - 3
Saints - 4
Sharks - 4
LR - 4

Only Glaws, Irish and Wuss have shipped more points. Meanwhile in 3 losses we've only picked up one bonus. If we could shore up the defence, especially where teams score from absolutely no pressure, we could be a good side again. It's infuriating how often we concede against the run of play, off early phase ball, or from silly penalties - their bonus try on Saturday came from us knowcking the ball on (again) down the wing during a promising attack in their half.

It does make me wonder why we decided to change the system, we used to have a really strong defensive wall which was really hard for teams to break through. Now we appear to let teams carve through our mdfield whilst lumbering locks make half-hearted attempts at tackling. Our maul defence is also weak, and we don't see much in the way of the brick wall defending 5 metres out which used to be a real feature of ou play. All too often teams carve up our midfield unopposed, which is simply not done at this level. I don't think our tackling is too bad this season, it's more about the clean breaks where nobody is on hand to make the tackle - although the tackling on their second and thrid tries was simply nowhere near good enough. Yes, we played very well in parts, and the game was even - but it's the vital seconds that win or lose a game, and we went missing on 3 occasions and that was enough to lose.

And I'm afraid these hail mary grubbers on advantage have to stop. We take the low-percentage grubber and then go for the low-percentage lineout. If we have good ball and advantage we should keep putting it through the hands, unless we're going to take the points in which case go for the gamble.

It's all very well to say that LR are a good side - we all know how they are performing in the T14 of late. But when you look at that game in the context of how it was played, we could have won with acceptable defence.

I'm not trying to be doom and gloom, there's a lot to be encouraged by, and things will get better with players to return, but at the moment we are shipping too many soft tries to compete.

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
16 October, 2017 09:07
Quote:
talkshowhost86
Quote:
Nev's Left Boot

Ultimately, in the league, we've lost two games that we won last year (if you swap London Irish for Bristol) and won one that we lost. Then we've had one performance in Europe which whilst better than some of us thought it would be, was still ultimately a home defeat.

We're a place lower in the league than we finished last year, and we've made it incredibly hard now for us to get out of Champions Cup group.

So I think to say we're moving forwards is a big claim based on what we've seen so far.

The main mitigating factor at the moment is the injuries. When we get some of those players back we'll hopefully be a very different prospect and then can actually start moving forwards.

And yet posters previously have said that it's the performance that matters more than the results. I guess Quins can't get it right unless they play brilliantly and win consistently - much like Sarries, although it took them a while of playing less attractively to get there.

So what do we want initially if we can't have both? Improved performances but no guarantee of winning (which we currently have), or poor rugby which grinds out the wins?

16 October, 2017 09:15
Quote:
Quinky Kin
Quote:
talkshowhost86
Quote:
Nev's Left Boot

And yet posters previously have said that it's the performance that matters more than the results. I guess Quins can't get it right unless they play brilliantly and win consistently - much like Sarries, although it took them a while of playing less attractively to get there.

So what do we want initially if we can't have both? Improved performances but no guarantee of winning (which we currently have), or poor rugby which grinds out the wins?

Again you are selectively quoting what people have said previously.

I don't think anyone has ever said it's the performances that matter more than the results.

I think people were pointing to our lack of consistency last year and saying that with the amount of quality we've got in the squad, we'll always have a chance of getting a win, but without any sort of systems in place (either attacking or defending) then better drilled, but maybe not as talented, teams will pick us off.

So whilst a win is a win, it doesn't always mask the deficiencies of the side, and whilst a loss is a loss, at least if the team showed some sort of nous during the game we could take some heart from it.

I think this year we're seeing a bit more cohesion in how we attack the opposition which is good to see, and it's bearing fruit in the number of points we are scoring.

But similarly we continue to have no apparent approach to defending at all, and that is basically undoing anything good we do in attack.

Of course we'd love to see performances and wins, but if we can't have both it would be nice to at least some sort of plan in place as to how we're aiming to improve.

In attack we're starting to see that. In defence though I haven't seen any improvement at all, so they're going to need to work on that very quickly or we'll see no progression in results.

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
16 October, 2017 09:30
Quote:
Quinky Kin
Quote:
talkshowhost86
Quote:
Nev's Left Boot

The performance takes care of the results.

RleQuin (IP Logged)
16 October, 2017 09:38
100% win over performance.
Anyone who wold rather see us lose 35-37 needs to go and watch a side where promotion/relegation don't matter.
I don't understand all those who say we lost to the better side. Ultimately, we lost by seven points having butchered at least two golden try scoring opportunities and an easy penalty chance right on half time.
RleQ

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
16 October, 2017 09:41
And waved through 3 tries.

Fanski (IP Logged)
16 October, 2017 10:33
To me it is more of the same.

Smith is great love watching him.

Defence is often shambolic.

Too many average players in the squad as usual.

Players like Stanley, Mulchronme, Ross Chislholm, Stanley are not good enough to be in a squad at Exeter or Sarries, Leicester Bath

Just another season of utter mediocrity

We are not a top 6 side and of I was one of our better players I would be looking to love to a club where I would have a chance of actually winning something

Cookie (IP Logged)
16 October, 2017 10:35
Quote:
talkshowhost86
Quote:
Quinky Kin
Quote:
talkshowhost86
Quote:
Nev's Left Boot

Again you are selectively quoting what people have said previously.

I don't think anyone has ever said it's the performances that matter more than the results.

I think people were pointing to our lack of consistency last year and saying that with the amount of quality we've got in the squad, we'll always have a chance of getting a win, but without any sort of systems in place (either attacking or defending) then better drilled, but maybe not as talented, teams will pick us off.

So whilst a win is a win, it doesn't always mask the deficiencies of the side, and whilst a loss is a loss, at least if the team showed some sort of nous during the game we could take some heart from it.

I think this year we're seeing a bit more cohesion in how we attack the opposition which is good to see, and it's bearing fruit in the number of points we are scoring.

But similarly we continue to have no apparent approach to defending at all, and that is basically undoing anything good we do in attack.

Of course we'd love to see performances and wins, but if we can't have both it would be nice to at least some sort of plan in place as to how we're aiming to improve.

In attack we're starting to see that. In defence though I haven't seen any improvement at all, so they're going to need to work on that very quickly or we'll see no progression in results.

Absolutely spot on. QK's agenda shining through again.

I will happily say I've enjoyed the games we've played this season (with the exception of Irish) and we're playing decent rugby and scoring tries.

But that is all being undone by our poor discipline and shocking defence (and, of course, injuries).

So, yes, performances have improved, but because of the factors above, the results are not following, so the frustration continues.

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
16 October, 2017 10:43
Very quiet on this thread all of a sudden. I'd love to hear some thoughts on why waving through 3 tries is acceptable at this level, other than 'they're just better than us'. I will excuse the first one since their pack is so enormous. I'd love to see what percentage of our tries come from direct unforced errors from the opposition, and how many opposition tries come from our own unforced errors. We certainly appear to be creating far more than we are making other teams create.

T-Bone (IP Logged)
16 October, 2017 11:53
Agree as above that our attack seems much better, and some of our play has been great to watch. Suspect a lot of that is down to Care's form being improved, Smith playing so well and settled centre combination.

Also as above, our defence is far too leaky, discipline is really poor and our lineout and maul still misfire all too often, and usually at crucial times. We seem incapable of defending mauls, so I'm not sure why we don't compete in the lineout more often to disrupt the ball there, as it seems to make little difference how well set we are.

I'd like to see Matthews run the lineout more often too, see if that makes a difference.

I'd say once again this season it's been a frustrating mixed bag. Unlike last season,. we have won away, but then have also lost at home.

Still very enjoyable coming to watch, but not sure it's any less frustrating.

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
16 October, 2017 11:54
Quote:
Cookie

I'd love to know what agenda you think I have. It makes little sense to quote it... much like many of your comments I guess.

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
16 October, 2017 11:58
Quote:
RodneyRegis
The performance takes care of the results.

Not always. We will come across better teams, teams who get the rub of the green, teams who get on the right side of the ref... Even the best teams lose games when they play well.

Quote:
rlequin
I don't understand all those who say we lost to the better side. Ultimately, we lost by seven points having butchered at least two golden try scoring opportunities and an easy penalty chance right on half time.

Because we lost to a better side. La Rochelle also made mistakes. They are a quality team, and they beat us by being better on the day.

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
16 October, 2017 12:02
Quote:
T-Bone
Agree as above that our attack seems much better, and some of our play has been great to watch. Suspect a lot of that is down to Care's form being improved, Smith playing so well and settled centre combination.
Also as above, our defence is far too leaky, discipline is really poor and our lineout and maul still misfire all too often, and usually at crucial times. We seem incapable of defending mauls, so I'm not sure why we don't compete in the lineout more often to disrupt the ball there, as it seems to make little difference how well set we are.

I'd like to see Matthews run the lineout more often too, see if that makes a difference.

I'd say once again this season it's been a frustrating mixed bag. Unlike last season,. we have won away, but then have also lost at home.

Still very enjoyable coming to watch, but not sure it's any less frustrating.

Fair comments. I suspect the maul issue is more prevalent when we come up against much bigger packs. The lineout seems to have improved greatly in the last couple of games (since Matthews' return?) so the idea of Charlie calling the lineouts may be one answer.

The more settled backline and improved form are very noticeable, and Smith has definitely made a difference. One pleasing point from Saturday was how steady our scrum was against some behemoths. The disappointment was defence being erratic - it seems to just lapse for a moment and give up scores.

Stooperman (IP Logged)
16 October, 2017 12:15
Talking of enjoyment, I really enjoyed chatting to the LR fans. What a nice bunch...not as vocal as many french fans, I suspect this is because success is all rather new to them, but great fellows nonetheless.

Looking forward to the second leg.

Cookie (IP Logged)
16 October, 2017 13:38
Quote:
Quinky Kin
Quote:
Cookie

I'd love to know what agenda you think I have. It makes little sense to quote it... much like many of your comments I guess.

Your agenda to be almost blindingly loyal to the players and coaches and barely showing any disappointment or frustration as well as actively trying to challenge those who might be critical, very often in a misguided fashion per your comments about better rugby vs winning.

All too often you take a legitimate and interesting debate and make it into an us vs them battle where you perceive everyone to be criticising JK and his coaches and/or how the team is performing.

Bolly-Quin (IP Logged)
16 October, 2017 14:49
Defensive frailty surely relates to Roberts covering Smith's outside shoulder and giving oppo more space to flood into. If Wallace was fit, then he'd be covering.

Cant argue with defensive shortcomings though - cost us the game, along with poor handling at critical times, as RR alludes to.

Good to see Wallace walking around and clambering over the hoardings, unaided, after the game.

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
16 October, 2017 15:49
Quote:
Cookie
Quote:
Quinky Kin
Quote:
Cookie

Your agenda to be almost blindingly loyal to the players and coaches and barely showing any disappointment or frustration as well as actively trying to challenge those who might be critical, very often in a misguided fashion per your comments about better rugby vs winning.

All too often you take a legitimate and interesting debate and make it into an us vs them battle where you perceive everyone to be criticising JK and his coaches and/or how the team is performing.

A more balanced person might say that I'm objective and constructively critical where I feel it necessary. But then I am a balanced person. If you bother to read my posts then you'll see that I do like to highlight positives, whilst suggesting remedies for the negatives; not for me to simply attack the coaches and/or players at every opportunity.

But I guess you don't see it that way, which is your prerogative. Or maybe we just have different standards and approaches. Life's like that... we're all different.

Dibden (IP Logged)
16 October, 2017 16:33
I wouldnt say enjoyment is my main emotion but this season is a little less disappointing /Frustrating .Marcus Smith in my view has had a significant impact and is a better 10 than nev in his last 2 seasons.Also Horwill is a better capt than Danny or Joe who were unsuited to the role.So signs of a bit of progress .Howevefr I still
firmly believe that progress would be a lot greater with a more competent DOR than JK and his crew

poorfour (IP Logged)
16 October, 2017 16:42
I am reminded of when COS first took over and said that one of the reasons for taking the job was that the attacking style was in place - it's apparently much easier to tighten up the defence slightly than to try to create an attack from scratch.

Clearly nobody has told Marcus Smith this, because in half a dozen games he's gotten Quins impressively close to where we were with Evans at his peak.

But if you look at where we are leaking tries, a lot of them are off first phase possession. We've lost at least two games we could have won because of trying something slightly too ambitious in attack late in the game.

It's frustrating to see us chuck games away like that - but equally it's a fairly small change. It took Conor about half a season to sort it out, albeit with much less of an injury crisis to deal with.

Mr_B (IP Logged)
16 October, 2017 17:16
enjoying the attacking side more this season, enjoyed most games with the exception of Oirish game where we were extremely poor. Our defence was dodgy last season in the first half but tightened up in the back end of the season, it appears we are back to how it was at the beginning of last season. Minty needs to sort it out quick, too many poor tackles off first phase through the middle every week.

I am not sure I would be blaming JK directly this season so far because some things have definitely improved, there have been some major injury issues which affect our game for sure and it's the defence coach's job to sort things out there. If Minty doesn't fix things and JK doesnt force a change then you can have a pop at JK. I feel that we are playing better rugby in general than last season apart from defence and stupid penalties. It's not rocket science to fix this just how long the incumbent take to fix it or how long they are allowed. As much as I love minty his report card as I used to get at school is:- should do better!

Scaramouche (IP Logged)
16 October, 2017 23:43
I think the point about protecting Smith is very well made.

rdc (IP Logged)
17 October, 2017 06:45
Quote:
claphamquin
I know the results aren't there but I'm personally enjoying it a lot more this season. We're scoring some good tries, throwing the ball around and are averaging 29 pts a game in the Prem versus 20 pts three years ago (a miserable season).
It feels like we're making progress and as a STH, obviously I'd love us to win but the bare minimum is watching good rugby (even if often played by the opposition!!)

You can't afford to lose your first home game in Europe and give the oppo a BP in the process so it's looking unlikely we'll go anywhere in that comp but we could get another top 6 (maybe 5th) which would be progress. Would that buy JK at least one more season, probably especially with this summer being a real change to make changes with some money in the bank (big salary savings on Roberts definitely and maybe Brown?)

I agree completely. There are inaccuracies in our passing, but we are breaking the line and playing some lovely rugby. Defence needs tightening too. We defend well then the damp breaks and we always conceded key points

NicoWilson (IP Logged)
17 October, 2017 08:44
Quote:
rdc
Quote:
claphamquin

I agree completely. There are inaccuracies in our passing, but we are breaking the line and playing some lovely rugby. Defence needs tightening too. We defend well then the damp breaks and we always conceded key points

Completely agree. The team this season is a pleasure to watch. We just need to improve our defence and the wins will return.

Scaramouche (IP Logged)
17 October, 2017 09:25
9 and 10 playing well together makes a big difference and yes we have given soft tries away but we have been playing some very good sides too.

if we lose to Worcester on the 28th then I will start worrying.....

NicoWilson (IP Logged)
17 October, 2017 09:49
We should have four tries by half time against Worcester.

I'd like to see a repeat of the April 2009 game where we beat them 60-14, and perhaps see someone throwing the ball American football style like Minty did.

Here's the report: JDT Match Report: Quins 60-14 Warriors

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 17/10/2017 10:12 by NicoWilson.

Jammy Git (IP Logged)
17 October, 2017 10:14
Quote:
RleQuin
Anyone who wold rather see us lose 35-37 needs to go and watch a side where promotion/relegation don't matter.
RleQ

I gave up my season ticket in large part because of the high proportion of tedious matches, win or lose. Entertainment is part of the deal when it comes to watching sport for me at least. I don't expect to have my socks blown off every time but I wouldn't be happy with boring rugby if it got us a few more wins and I was still a paying customer.

We're not risking relegation by playing better attacking rugby.

O Fortuna, velut luna statu variabilis,
semper crescis aut decrescis

RleQuin (IP Logged)
17 October, 2017 10:35
Quote:
Jammy Git
Quote:
RleQuin
RleQ

I gave up my season ticket in large part because of the high proportion of tedious matches, win or lose. Entertainment is part of the deal when it comes to watching sport for me at least. I don't expect to have my socks blown off every time but I wouldn't be happy with boring rugby if it got us a few more wins and I was still a paying customer.

We're not risking relegation by playing better attacking rugby.

Fair enough!
RleQ

RleQuin (IP Logged)
17 October, 2017 10:37
[quote=rlequin]I don't understand all those who say we lost to the better side. Ultimately, we lost by seven points having butchered at least two golden try scoring opportunities and an easy penalty chance right on half time.[/quote]

Because we lost to a better side. La Rochelle also made mistakes. They are a quality team, and they beat us by being better on the day.[/quote]

Sorry, I don't agree - that was a game we should have won!
RleQ

Quinten Poulsen (IP Logged)
17 October, 2017 10:52
We should/could have won if we'd taken our chances and not made so many errors, but not taking those chances and making those errors made us a worse team than them. Better teams on the day tend to score more points.

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
17 October, 2017 10:52
[quote RleQuin][quote=rlequin]I don't understand all those who say we lost to the better side. Ultimately, we lost by seven points having butchered at least two golden try scoring opportunities and an easy penalty chance right on half time.[/quote]

Because we lost to a better side. La Rochelle also made mistakes. They are a quality team, and they beat us by being better on the day.[/quote]

Sorry, I don't agree - that was a game we should have won!
RleQ[/quote]

It was a game we could have won. There's a difference.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net