rugbyunion
Latest News:

Quinssa WebsiteQuins News from News NowQuins Official Site

Joe Marler in hot seat for England after playing well in "one of the best games seen in England"....
Scaramouche (IP Logged)
17 October, 2017 10:15
[www.standard.co.uk]

Illegitimi non carborundum

Re: Joe Marler in hot seat for England after playing well in "one of the best games seen in England"....
AB (IP Logged)
17 October, 2017 13:46
Second by a long way to Mako

Re: Joe Marler in hot seat for England after playing well in "one of the best games seen in England"....
RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
17 October, 2017 13:49
We'll see.

TeddingtonQuin (IP Logged)
17 October, 2017 14:16
Quote:
AB

Welcome back AB - it's always a pleasure to read your well thought out and eloquently delivered nuggets of wisdom.

West Stand, Block FD, Row S
@JT075 #COYQ

Roaming Quin (IP Logged)
17 October, 2017 14:51
I think Marler has been playing some of his best rugby this season and in particular the last 2 games. To say he is a long way behind Mako is pretty niaive, both have different areas where they are better than the other but personally I see Marler closing the gap in the loose play and pulling away in the tight. IF you are against a strong scummaging team Marler gets it everytime.

It also depends who you are playing against as to who starts and finishes.

EJ and SB - Must enjoy having to make that choice.

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
17 October, 2017 15:39
We saw a nasty streak from Mako in the 3rd Lions game, could easily have lost the game. Sad to see, thought he was a nice guy.

AB (IP Logged)
17 October, 2017 17:26
Quote:
TeddingtonQuin
Quote:
AB

Welcome back AB - it's always a pleasure to read your well thought out and eloquently delivered nuggets of wisdom.

certainly better than yours rofl

DOK (IP Logged)
17 October, 2017 17:37
You're wrong!

AB (IP Logged)
17 October, 2017 17:44
Quote:
DOK
You're wrong!
so are you supporting a very poor side who now have no chance in Europe

DOK (IP Logged)
17 October, 2017 17:48
You're wrong!

SiBolton (IP Logged)
17 October, 2017 18:21
I often wonder if some of these people just spend their whole lives in front of their PCS laughing at how clever they think they are for getting a reaction

But aside from that, yep Joe has a very good chance MV did show his other side on Tour, that being said Jes no saint, but if your in the front row you need to have an edge

Anyone taking extra water bottles to the atmosphere Hoover on Sunday

DOK (IP Logged)
17 October, 2017 18:25
You're right!

(I love this trend AB started. You just make a statement, no supporting arguments required, and expect people to just go along with it!)

Quinten Poulsen (IP Logged)
17 October, 2017 19:08
I think Marler edges it in the scrum and is better at the donkey work at the breakdown, but Mako's on a higher plane ball in hand. Probably about equal in defence. I'll be happy if either of them starts.

Rocker (IP Logged)
17 October, 2017 19:12
Marler is considerably better IMHO in the right and at the moment not far behind I've the loose. He wasn't until the start of this season doing so much back in hand, but seems to be back to his best in that regard.

17 October, 2017 19:15
No, no, no chaps, you're all wrong an AB is totally correct. He does have far better responses to our trolling of him on our board, way more considered, thoughtful and eloquently delivered than anything any of us can come up with.

By example, I'll quote the PM I received from him on a previous debate regarding Salarycens, the salary cap and the way the club have treated away fans. His elegant response and I quote this in full was

"embittered moron"

Now honestly chaps, who amongst us, we the unworthy of CAW could have come up with something like that?

@JT075 #COYQ

Mayor West (IP Logged)
17 October, 2017 19:21
I think England are lucky to have two top players to choose from at loosehead . Joe edges it at the moment.

AB (IP Logged)
17 October, 2017 20:30
Quote:
TeddingtonQuin
No, no, no chaps, you're all wrong an AB is totally correct. He does have far better responses to our trolling of him on our board, way more considered, thoughtful and eloquently delivered than anything any of us can come up with.
By example, I'll quote the PM I received from him on a previous debate regarding Salarycens, the salary cap and the way the club have treated away fans. His elegant response and I quote this in full was

"embittered moron"

Now honestly chaps, who amongst us, we the unworthy of CAW could have come up with something like that?
ridiculous remark ! just typical of you. You just carry on supporting a very poor team who will now be out of Europe and struggling to be in the top 6 whereas Saracens? say no more . QED

DOK (IP Logged)
17 October, 2017 20:43
Please! Please say no more! smiling smiley

Man from LA (IP Logged)
17 October, 2017 21:16
Quote:
AB
Quote:
TeddingtonQuin

"embittered moron"

ridiculous remark ! just typical of you. You just carry on supporting a very poor team who will now be out of Europe and struggling to be in the top 6 whereas Saracens? say no more . QED

Glory hunter

17 October, 2017 21:35
Quote:
AB
Quote:
TeddingtonQuin

"embittered moron"

Oh such witty banter, you truly are a master of the incisive comeback, I am so truly humbled, nay impaled by your sharp wit and repartee

@JT075 #COYQ

blucherquin (IP Logged)
17 October, 2017 21:57
Quote:
AB
Quote:
TeddingtonQuin

"embittered moron"

Yes you’re right. But we are all posh city boys with loads of lovely cash, country piles and share portfolios - rugby’s aristocrats - so we’ll just open another bottle of Bolly while you nouveau proles gawp at your gaudy baubles in your north London new build.

17 October, 2017 22:12
Quote:
blucherquin
Quote:
AB
Quote:
TeddingtonQuin

"embittered moron"

Yes you’re right. But we are all posh city boys with loads of lovely cash, country piles and share portfolios - rugby’s aristocrats - so we’ll just open another bottle of Bolly while you nouveau proles gawp at your gaudy baubles in your north London new build.

(Sm128)

@JT075 #COYQ

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
17 October, 2017 22:34
Quote:
AB
Quote:
TeddingtonQuin

"embittered moron"

BWAAAAHAAAHAHAAA

raedarius (IP Logged)
18 October, 2017 06:41
This is very reminiscent of our first encounter with AB, when he came on here to tell us we'd win nothing, just before we started winning things. We should take his drunkposting as a good omen for the season.

AB (IP Logged)
18 October, 2017 07:14
Quote:
TeddingtonQuin
Quote:
blucherquin
Quote:
AB
Quote:
TeddingtonQuin

"embittered moron"

High;y intelleigent remark??!!??

(Sm128)

18 October, 2017 10:14
Quote:
raedarius
This is very reminiscent of our first encounter with AB, when he came on here to tell us we'd win nothing, just before we started winning things. We should take his drunkposting as a good omen for the season.

smiling smiley (Sm128)

@JT075 #COYQ

Scaramouche (IP Logged)
18 October, 2017 11:08
AB as usual is full of shining wit.(Sm106)

T-Bone (IP Logged)
18 October, 2017 11:12
Quote:
Rocker
Marler is considerably better IMHO in the right and at the moment not far behind I've the loose. He wasn't until the start of this season doing so much back in hand, but seems to be back to his best in that regard.

Definitely agree that his carrying is much better this season. He used to be a good carrying option for us, then he seemed to stop doing as much, possibly concentrating on work in the tight. Good to see he's brought that element back to his game.

Great for England to have both of them available. Considerable drop off in my opinion to the third choice. Not actually sure who that would be. Still Mullan?

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
18 October, 2017 12:34
Gengis

Barnetsarrie12 (IP Logged)
19 October, 2017 10:12
Interesting debate here, I don't think Marler is far behind Mako as someone said here, that's not true, Marler is a very good player.

I also don't understand this assertion that Marler is better in the tight or a better scrummager. I think that's one of those things where perception is not always reality, he is not a better tackler, bigger hitter or rucker so i don't get this idea of being better in the tight, Mako being good in the loose does not mean he is not as good in the tight and very few props have the work rate Mako has, I hear the same argument about Dylan Hartley over Jamie George also with no one able to use any stats to back it up, it seems like to some people, being good in the loose equates to being poor or not as good in the tight, makes no sense to me.

The sarries scrum is as good as it gets in Europe and the England squad is always good with Mako in it. I personally don't think there is any discernible difference between the two apart from open play where, Mako has an edge on just just Marler but most props in the world

Cookie (IP Logged)
19 October, 2017 10:26
Scrummaging
JM 8, MV 7

Ruck Area
JM 7, MV 7

Defence
JM 7, MV 7

Handling/Distribution
JM 6, MV 8

Discipline
JM 5, MV 5

Hugely unscientific, but for me (as a prop), your bread and butter is the scrum, so although the totals favour MV, I'd give JM extra credit for being the better scrummager.

As QP said, I think we're lucky to have both and I wouldn't be fussed which starts. I'd say MV would be more impactful off the bench and I'd probably go with JM for 50 mins and MV for the last 40 once JM's done the graft and worn down his opposite man.

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
19 October, 2017 10:30
Are we keeping them both on for 10 mins or are you expecting Joe to pick up a yellow?

Cookie (IP Logged)
19 October, 2017 10:37
Quote:
RodneyRegis
Are we keeping them both on for 10 mins or are you expecting Joe to pick up a yellow?

Haha!! Make that 45 and 35 [:wor kid:]

Adi Nako (IP Logged)
19 October, 2017 11:05
Quote:
Cookie
Scrummaging
JM 8, MV 7

Ruck Area
JM 7, MV 7

Defence
JM 7, MV 7

Handling/Distribution
JM 6, MV 8

Discipline
JM 5, MV 5

Hugely unscientific, but for me (as a prop), your bread and butter is the scrum, so although the totals favour MV, I'd give JM extra credit for being the better scrummager.

As QP said, I think we're lucky to have both and I wouldn't be fussed which starts. I'd say MV would be more impactful off the bench and I'd probably go with JM for 50 mins and MV for the last 40 once JM's done the graft and worn down his opposite man.

Carrying

JM 5, MV 9

Cookie (IP Logged)
19 October, 2017 11:10
Quote:
Adi Nako
Quote:
Cookie
Scrummaging
JM 8, MV 7

Ruck Area
JM 7, MV 7

Defence
JM 7, MV 7

Handling/Distribution
JM 6, MV 8

Discipline
JM 5, MV 5

Carrying

JM 5, MV 9

Ah yes. I'm not sure I'd put JM that low, but a strength of MV, no doubt.

Adi Nako (IP Logged)
19 October, 2017 11:54
Mako wins more turnovers too. Just generally superior in open play really.

Scaramouche (IP Logged)
19 October, 2017 12:02
Yeah, but Joe is much funnier..

blucherquin (IP Logged)
19 October, 2017 14:00
Marler is the first choice prop for the autumn internationals, he’s the in form player in his position.

Even the Guardian thinks so.....

“Marler should be England’s No1
His position may not be the most glamorous but you would be hard-pressed to find a more in-form Premiership player than Joe Marler. His two-week injury absence coincided with back-to-back defeats for Harlequins but he was back at the coalface in their bonus-point win against Sale. Quins’ lengthy injury list has meant they have been lacking a bit of ball-carrying muscle and Marler provides that in spades. It may not be to everyone’s taste but he achieved precisely what he set out to in his unsavoury spat with James Haskell and must be seen as a key factor in his team’s success at Wasps. Eddie Jones has no shortage of loosehead props and it is hard to look past Mako Vunipola when he is firing on all cylinders. That has not yet been the case this season, however, and while Ellis Genge is the coming man Marler’s form means he deserves the No1 jersey this autumn.”

1908 (IP Logged)
19 October, 2017 15:30
I had that AB in my cab once. He refused to pay the fare. Said it was well over his salary cap.

Barnetsarrie12 (IP Logged)
19 October, 2017 16:23
Quote:
blucherquin
Marler is the first choice prop for the autumn internationals, he’s the in form player in his position.
Even the Guardian thinks so.....

“Marler should be England’s No1
His position may not be the most glamorous but you would be hard-pressed to find a more in-form Premiership player than Joe Marler. His two-week injury absence coincided with back-to-back defeats for Harlequins but he was back at the coalface in their bonus-point win against Sale. Quins’ lengthy injury list has meant they have been lacking a bit of ball-carrying muscle and Marler provides that in spades. It may not be to everyone’s taste but he achieved precisely what he set out to in his unsavoury spat with James Haskell and must be seen as a key factor in his team’s success at Wasps. Eddie Jones has no shortage of loosehead props and it is hard to look past Mako Vunipola when he is firing on all cylinders. That has not yet been the case this season, however, and while Ellis Genge is the coming man Marler’s form means he deserves the No1 jersey this autumn.”

I'm sure Marler is in form but it's not like Mako is out of form. He has been great and his team is top of the league and he has played a massive part in that and Eddie just watched him live as part of a pack that totally destroyed Northampton. I don't know how you can then say for certain that Marler is the first choice, he could be first choice and i expect him to start against Argentina and for Mako to only play one game and start against the Aussies. As for that Guardian commentary about a more in form player, i would suggest Courtney Lawes, he was amazing in a losing effort against sarries and he was named player of the month for September

blucherquin (IP Logged)
19 October, 2017 16:48
I’m not really that fussed - haven’t watched Sarries this season but read the Guadian piece which says Mako is out of form and watched Marler being on superb form and decided to have an opinion..

Generally I think they’re both great - Marler’s carrying this year has been a real noticeable addition to his game though, which is good for us coz all our others are broken.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 19/10/2017 16:49 by blucherquin.

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
19 October, 2017 18:13
Well yes, the "most in form player" is just utter hyperbole. We've voted him 9th best player on average this season at Quins.

However, "his team is top of the league" is not a reason to pick a player. Perhaps he looks better than he really is because the team he plays for is the best?

Brown Bottle (IP Logged)
19 October, 2017 18:58
Quote:
Perhaps he looks better than he really is because the team he plays for is the best?

Worked for Alex Goode. For a bit. smiling smiley

BB

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 19/10/2017 18:59 by Brown Bottle.

Quinten Poulsen (IP Logged)
21 October, 2017 17:58
Well Genge was outstanding this evening. Looking good for England on the loosehead side.

Hellequin (IP Logged)
21 October, 2017 18:44
Looks good for the future of England at 1; Marler and Vunipola pretty much interchangeable depending on form or the opposition with Genge as back up.

Also looking forward to a front row of Genge, George and Sinkler in a couple of years time. Could be the most destructive mobile front row in the world, and actually decent I the scrum as well.

AB (IP Logged)
23 October, 2017 09:24
Marler in hot seat?

Not for England after yesterday's performance but maybe for citing?

Jammy Git (IP Logged)
23 October, 2017 09:25
He played pretty well, mind.

I guess it's a question for Eddie re: Marler's tendency to do silly things vs Mako's tendency to get butchered at scrum time. Tricky one. Maybe Genge wins that argument.

O Fortuna, velut luna statu variabilis,
semper crescis aut decrescis

Fursty (IP Logged)
23 October, 2017 09:36
Quote:
AB
Marler in hot seat?

Nice to have you back AB - managed to save up enough 50p's to get the 'electric' back on?

AB (IP Logged)
23 October, 2017 09:41
Quote:
Fursty
Quote:
AB
Marler in hot seat?

Nice to have you back AB - managed to save up enough 50p's to get the 'electric' back on?

why do you have to make such pathetic trite remarks?

At least I have something to be really proud of with my team as for Quins well least said? out of Europe for sure - You must be very proud of the "quins Way"

Jammy Git (IP Logged)
23 October, 2017 09:42
You definitely contributed massively to Sarries' success.

O Fortuna, velut luna statu variabilis,
semper crescis aut decrescis

Scaramouche (IP Logged)
23 October, 2017 13:46
Ok come on, own up! Who is going on the Sarries board slagging off Saffers all the time?

Oh, no-one.....

raedarius (IP Logged)
23 October, 2017 17:55
Quote:
Scaramouche
Ok come on, own up! Who is going on the Sarries board slagging off Saffers all the time?

Oh, no-one.....

To save our Saracens chums having to reply to this, the answer is numerous Quins fans, mostly fake/duplicate accounts from our resident troll(s), but a few real ones as well.

Brown Bottle (IP Logged)
23 October, 2017 18:35
Quote:
Quinten Poulsen
Well Genge was outstanding this evening. Looking good for England on the loosehead side.

Only saw the first half but he did look bloody handy!

BB

blucherquin (IP Logged)
23 October, 2017 19:29
Quote:
AB
Quote:
Fursty
Quote:
AB
Marler in hot seat?

why do you have to make such pathetic trite remarks?

At least I have something to be really proud of with my team as for Quins well least said? out of Europe for sure - You must be very proud of the "quins Way"

You really are adorable.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net