Quinssa WebsiteQuins News from News NowQuins Official Site

OT: A "Must Buy" Surely?
DOK (IP Logged)
17 October, 2017 18:34
Was pratting around on ebay and found this

Re: OT: A "Must Buy" Surely?
Rocker (IP Logged)
17 October, 2017 19:01
Didn't know they did a rugby version. Maybe someone was confused by our status as an FC...

DOK (IP Logged)
17 October, 2017 19:17
I'm pretty sure that as the last dinosaur was dying and I was at prep school, we had a couple of people there with subbuteo rugby teams.

Mayor West (IP Logged)
17 October, 2017 19:26
I remember playing subbuteo rugby with the special kicker figure and the scrum thing that randomly spat the ball out. Can't remember exactly how you played.

Camquin (IP Logged)
17 October, 2017 19:56
I had (and possibly still have) a set - but not Quins.
It really did not work.

I was living in Gibraltar and at the time Subbuteo were having sides hand painted there as piece work. So there may have been more kits available.
I am not sure they originally offered Quins, it would have been hard to hand paint.

Bolly-Quin (IP Logged)
18 October, 2017 11:26
Umm - the props are the same size as the locks and wingers...

never sleep (IP Logged)
18 October, 2017 11:38
I can't believe the attention to detail. Joe's socks are on the wrong feet

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
18 October, 2017 11:47
Quote:
Bolly-Quin
Umm - the props are the same size as the locks and wingers...

Does the name Tuilagi mean nothing to you?! smiling smiley

Bolly-Quin (IP Logged)
18 October, 2017 11:49
I tug Ali (Sm113)

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
18 October, 2017 12:35
Quote:
Bolly-Quin
I tug Ali (Sm113)

That explains why he's smiling winking smiley

Brown Bottle (IP Logged)
18 October, 2017 12:50
Quote:
Mayor West
I remember playing subbuteo rugby with the special kicker figure and the scrum thing that randomly spat the ball out. Can't remember exactly how you played.

Quote:
Camquin
It really did not work.

Agree with both the above. I had a set and we played it a bit at boarding school but it always ended up in a competition to see who could kick the ball the farthest with that huge special kicker because frankly that was the only bit that was fun.

BB

gregory p (IP Logged)
18 October, 2017 13:01
Quote:
Brown Bottle
Quote:
Mayor West

Quote:
Camquin
It really did not work.

Agree with both the above. I had a set and we played it a bit at boarding school but it always ended up in a competition to see who could kick the ball the farthest with that huge special kicker because frankly that was the only bit that was fun.

There's a pattern developing here as I too played at boarding school. Games descended into a drop goal fest as the oversized kicker could land one from anywhere on the pitch.....so he wasn't modelled on Nick Evans then. My set came with Bradford in rugby league V patterned shirts. Regrettably it's been long since sent to the skip by an over-zealous family member.

MrOther (IP Logged)
18 October, 2017 13:25
Quote:
gregory p
Quote:
Brown Bottle
Quote:
Mayor West

Quote:
Camquin
It really did not work.

There's a pattern developing here as I too played at boarding school. Games descended into a drop goal fest as the oversized kicker could land one from anywhere on the pitch.....so he wasn't modelled on Nick Evans then. My set came with Bradford in rugby league V patterned shirts. Regrettably it's been long since sent to the skip by an over-zealous family member.

You were lucky! We played with a matchbox.

No, really. The aim was to flick the matchbox over the tabletop so that it came to rest overhanging the edge of the table. If that was achieved the defending player had to make a set of posts with his arms (index fingers on the table edge, arms separated by the length of the thumbs) and the attacking side attempted to score by flicking the matchbox from the edge of the table over the crossbar of the thumbs. It was all about scoring goals. Tries didn't come into it. Very very old school.

It may be that the boarders had Subbuteo (amongst their various other privileges!), but I was a day boy.

:.-(

southquin (IP Logged)
18 October, 2017 14:19
I had set as a kid but it was a flawed concept. You could kick quite accurately from anywhere on the pitch and scoring a try was a very rare event. Wait for a penalty, not a long wait, and slot it between the uprights.

The cricket was also slightly flawed though better fun. The bowler could bowl at a scaled up speed approaching the speed if sound.

Fearless Fred (IP Logged)
18 October, 2017 14:13
Quote:
MrOther
Quote:
gregory p
Quote:
Brown Bottle
Quote:
Mayor West

Quote:
Camquin
It really did not work.

No, really. The aim was to flick the matchbox over the tabletop so that it came to rest overhanging the edge of the table. If that was achieved the defending player had to make a set of posts with his arms (index fingers on the table edge, arms separated by the length of the thumbs) and the attacking side attempted to score by flicking the matchbox from the edge of the table over the crossbar of the thumbs. It was all about scoring goals. Tries didn't come into it. Very very old school.

It may be that the boarders had Subbuteo (amongst their various other privileges!), but I was a day boy.

We used to do the same thing, but with a coin, not a matchbox. If you got the coin to the end, the kick was done by spinning the coin on it's edge. You would then rest your hands palm-down either side of the spinning coin, & try to trap it between your thumbs. The other player would make the posts as you've described, then you'd flick the coin that you've got trapped between your thumbs over the crossbar to get the points. Ah, happy days...

gregory p (IP Logged)
18 October, 2017 14:19
Quote:
southquin
I had set as a kid but it was a flawed concept. You could kick quite accurately from anywhere on the pitch and scoring a try was a very rare event. Wait for a penalty, not a long wait, and slot it between the uprights.
The cricket was also slightly flawed though better fun. The bowler could bowl at a scaled up speed approaching the speed if sound.

I thought the cricket was great but it usually ended up with everyone behind the wicket catching and the bowler blasting it down at - as you say - the speed of sound. Runs in front of the wicket were a rarity.......maybe the makers of the game had Alistair Cook in mind? I also loved the run measurement triangle but I can't remember how you ever got a run out.

I suspect there's a narrow/aging demographic posting on this thread!

Stooperman (IP Logged)
18 October, 2017 14:26
As I remember the all the fielders ended up behind the wicket on the offside, the tactic as a bowler was to bowl very fast outside off stump because if it hit the green plastic bit on the way to the slips it counted as caught behind. I seem to remember heated discussions with my father about whether "accidentally" hitting the ball with the thumb instead of the bat counted as LBW! As others have said, a very flawed game but great fun.

Fearless Fred did you go to the same school as me?? The only way I survived double chemistry was by organising coin rugby games on the far table behind the bunsen burners where we couldn't be seen!

Just been helping my parents to move home, and I have now acquired the Subbuteo cricket and football for future grandsons to enjoy!

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
18 October, 2017 14:26
Quote:
Fearless Fred
Quote:
MrOther
Quote:
gregory p
Quote:
Brown Bottle
Quote:
Mayor West

Quote:
Camquin
It really did not work.

We used to do the same thing, but with a coin, not a matchbox. If you got the coin to the end, the kick was done by spinning the coin on it's edge. You would then rest your hands palm-down either side of the spinning coin, & try to trap it between your thumbs. The other player would make the posts as you've described, then you'd flick the coin that you've got trapped between your thumbs over the crossbar to get the points. Ah, happy days...

Yes, this is the correct method. The reason for getting it to overhang was that you needed to flick it up off the table, catch in one hand and THEN spin it.

Snowman (IP Logged)
18 October, 2017 14:41
I think we still have a set in the house somewhere - at least one goalpost is broken though
I repainted the original rugby league teams as Wales and Scotland
Saved repainting the socks!
With the passing of time we are back down to about 13 a side again though
As mentioned previously - never really worked
Much like the various rugby computer games I have seen
Stick to the real thing!

ChiddQuin (IP Logged)
18 October, 2017 14:41
I feel like I had a deprived childhood. Never heard of / seen rugby subbuteo. (Sm58)

MrOther (IP Logged)
18 October, 2017 14:47
Quote:
RodneyRegis
Quote:
Fearless Fred
Quote:
MrOther
Quote:
gregory p
Quote:
Brown Bottle
Quote:
Mayor West

Quote:
Camquin
It really did not work.

Yes, this is the correct method. The reason for getting it to overhang was that you needed to flick it up off the table, catch in one hand and THEN spin it.

Ah, we have an authorised "correct method". Flame war ensues!

But seriously, I can't imagine how it was done. I've got my hands palm down on the table with a coin trapped between my thumbs. And then I flick? How?

18 October, 2017 14:59
Quote:
MrOther
Quote:
RodneyRegis
Quote:
Fearless Fred
Quote:
MrOther
Quote:
gregory p
Quote:
Brown Bottle
Quote:
Mayor West

Quote:
Camquin
It really did not work.

But seriously, I can't imagine how it was done. I've got my hands palm down on the table with a coin trapped between my thumbs. And then I flick? How?

The idea is that when your hands are flat down on the table, you have them angle inwards, so the tips of your index fingers are just about touching, while the coin is trapped between the tips of your thumbs. You end up with a near equilateral triangle formed by your index fingers & thumbs. Then, to kick the goal, you quickly flick your hands upwards and away from you (keeping the tips of your fingers on the table). You let go of the coin (ball) at a suitable point in the arc to send the ball sailing towards the uprights.

MrOther (IP Logged)
18 October, 2017 15:15
Quote:
Fearless Fred
Quote:
MrOther
Quote:
RodneyRegis
Quote:
Fearless Fred
Quote:
MrOther
Quote:
gregory p
Quote:
Brown Bottle
Quote:
Mayor West

Quote:
Camquin
It really did not work.

The idea is that when your hands are flat down on the table, you have them angle inwards, so the tips of your index fingers are just about touching, while the coin is trapped between the tips of your thumbs. You end up with a near equilateral triangle formed by your index fingers & thumbs. Then, to kick the goal, you quickly flick your hands upwards and away from you (keeping the tips of your fingers on the table). You let go of the coin (ball) at a suitable point in the arc to send the ball sailing towards the uprights.

Got it. Thx!

Did the "posts" often get the coin smack in the face? The bitcoin between the teeth, so to speak.

18 October, 2017 15:20
Quote:
MrOther
Quote:
Fearless Fred
Quote:
MrOther
Quote:
RodneyRegis
Quote:
Fearless Fred
Quote:
MrOther
Quote:
gregory p
Quote:
Brown Bottle
Quote:
Mayor West

Quote:
Camquin
It really did not work.

Got it. Thx!

Did the "posts" often get the coin smack in the face? The bitcoin between the teeth, so to speak.

Occasionally (and sometimes it wasn't accidental!) (Sm100)

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
18 October, 2017 15:34
Yep, had the rugby and cricket sets. The scrum gadget was pretty random. As for cricket, you could bowl the ball way off the pitch. Fun times, so long ago.

gregory p (IP Logged)
18 October, 2017 16:41
I will see your anorak and raise you with a quilted parka..............who remembers Subbuteo fishing? I didn't own one but an angling mate did. It was just a board game really and didn't involve any "flick to cast".

MrOther (IP Logged)
18 October, 2017 16:44
Quote:
gregory p
I will see your anorak and raise you with a quilted parka

With fake fur edging on the hood?

Bolly-Quin (IP Logged)
18 October, 2017 20:17
I still canít bowl straight - club record of 11 wides in an over.

But no runs scored...

Scaramouche (IP Logged)
18 October, 2017 23:29
Never got on with that new fangled Subutteo thingamajig

Illegitimi non carborundum

New Forest Quin (IP Logged)
19 October, 2017 07:08
I had Subbuteo football, cricket, rugby and angling!

I played in a Subbuteo football league set up with some friends.

The football and cricket were good, the rugby less so and the angling was more of a board game rather than an all action flicking game (as you would expect!)

As an only child I rewrote the rules so that I could play the games by myself and my favourite was cricket which I used to spend hours on end playing mainly England v The Rest of the World.

The joys of growing up in the 60s and 70s.

ChipsteadQuin (IP Logged)
19 October, 2017 15:17
For those that never experienced the joys of the 'scrum thing '

[www.youtube.com]

Oh for another crack at a misspent youth ...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net