rugbyunion
Latest News:

Quinssa WebsiteQuins News from News NowQuins Official Site

Three weeks for marler
Months KYT (IP Logged)
25 October, 2017 13:54
Becoming a real liability

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 25/10/2017 13:54 by Months KYT.

Re: Three weeks for marler
talkshowhost86 (IP Logged)
25 October, 2017 13:56
Lucky to only get three really.

I think we have to take that and get someone to really have a word with him in the intervening period.

I've got no problem him having an edge, and he's actually been playing well, but that's all pointless if he's spending so much time off the pitch.

mccc (IP Logged)
25 October, 2017 14:29
Just waiting for someone to blame JK for this. Honestly this is the problem at the club, too many players doing their own thing and not pulling together, ultimately they are in control on the pitch and are not doing the right thing. So we now have marler and sinckler suspended. Come on lads get a grip.

25 October, 2017 14:32
Quote:
mccc
Just waiting for someone to blame JK for this. Honestly this is the problem at the club, too many players doing their own thing and not pulling together, ultimately they are in control on the pitch and are not doing the right thing. So we now have marler and sinckler suspended. Come on lads get a grip.

You can't blame JK for a player being a bit stupid every now and again, but as has been said elsewhere the coaching team generally absolutely can have an impact on the discipline being shown by the team generally at the moment.

It's worrying that Marler seems to be going back to his bad old ways discipline-wise, and if the coaches can't get that out of his game then we either need coaches who can or Joe's time with Quins will need to be cut short.

HonkyTonk (IP Logged)
25 October, 2017 14:57
Think he is a bit lucky there

Roaming Quin (IP Logged)
25 October, 2017 15:04
Any news on Ward?

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
25 October, 2017 15:08
I'd say he's unlucky in a sense. The other player should have seen yellow at the time, and Joe seemed to be trying to hit his arm, as most players would.

T-Bone (IP Logged)
25 October, 2017 15:31
Quote:
Quinky Kin
I'd say he's unlucky in a sense. The other player should have seen yellow at the time, and Joe seemed to be trying to hit his arm, as most players would.

In AI last year vs Argentina I think exactly that happened. Joe was holiday player down, they reacted and stamped, red for Argentine chap and yellow for Joe for initial foul play and provocation. Not defending Joe, after all, he wound up Haskell and benefitted so should be able to take the same treatment back, but wasps player should be penalised for initial foul. But only a penalty, not a yellow, so nothing to do retrospectively

Other than Haskell incident, what else has Joe done this season? Don't remember anything else, but my memory is awful

T-Bone (IP Logged)
25 October, 2017 15:31
Deleted duplicate

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 25/10/2017 15:58 by T-Bone.

RleQuin (IP Logged)
25 October, 2017 15:17
Marler should have just held his arms up and appealed to the ref - result is a penalty to us!
Instead "stupid Marler" takes over and cops a ban.
When will these people learn to be disciplined and professional?
RleQ

Quinten Poulsen (IP Logged)
25 October, 2017 15:19
Quote:
T-Bone
Quote:
Quinky Kin

In AI last year vs Argentina I think exactly that happened. Joe was holiday player down, they reacted and stamped, red for Argentine chap and yellow for Joe for initial foul play and provocation. Not defending Joe, after all, he wound up Haskell and benefitted so should be able to take the same treatment back, but wasps player should be penalised for initial foul. But only a penalty, not a yellow, so nothing to do retrospectively

Other than Haskell incident, what else has Joe done this season? Don't remember anything else, but my memory is awful

I think he got one of those warning/yellow card equivalent things from the disciplinary bods, as did Walker for the Gopperth clean-out.

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
25 October, 2017 15:23
Quote:
RleQuin
Marler should have just held his arms up and appealed to the ref - result is a penalty to us!
RleQ

I was just thinking back to when he was head-butted by Ayerza, and held his hands up... Wayne Barnes simply shouted "hands down" and Ayerza butted him again!

Having seen some of what the officials didn't deal with on Sunday, Joe could have appealed all he liked and I doubt they'd have done anything.

MrOther (IP Logged)
25 October, 2017 16:23
Does this mean that he misses ENG-v-ARG but is potentially back for ENG-v-AUS?
Supposing that Eddie Jones thinks it worth the risk to select him, because he is apparently in need of another summer off to work on his anger management issues.

RleQuin (IP Logged)
25 October, 2017 17:22
Quote:
Quinky Kin
Quote:
RleQuin
RleQ

I was just thinking back to when he was head-butted by Ayerza, and held his hands up... Wayne Barnes simply shouted "hands down" and Ayerza butted him again!

Having seen some of what the officials didn't deal with on Sunday, Joe could have appealed all he liked and I doubt they'd have done anything.

Yes, good point - that wasn't Wayne's finest moment!!
RleQ

ukms (IP Logged)
25 October, 2017 17:38
Quote:
Quinky Kin

Completely agree ..... Rowlands should have seen yellow ...... Marler red ..... that would have been the correct action by the ref . winking smiley

Brown Bottle (IP Logged)
25 October, 2017 18:01
Quote:

They were hardly head-butts - more head-nudges.

BB

ChipsteadQuin (IP Logged)
25 October, 2017 18:25
Quote:
Roaming Quin
Any news on Ward?

3 week ban , same as Marler

Bolly-Quin (IP Logged)
25 October, 2017 19:23
Stooperman, where for art thou?

Dibden (IP Logged)
25 October, 2017 19:32
How long do you persist with guys very unstable temperament?JK slould give him a final warning.Not sure many other clubs would want him in any event.Yet more frustrating behaviour

harlequinade (IP Logged)
25 October, 2017 19:34
Quote:
Marler's guilty plea shows the player did expect to be punished, but the panel have controversially taken his likely playing commitments into account, so what is a three-week ban is, in effect, actually four weeks.
beeb

There are only 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary, and those who don't

The Dead Baron (IP Logged)
25 October, 2017 19:38
All this "he should be given one last warning" talk is utter b**lsh*t. Seriously. He's a class player with a temperament problem. If he's good enough for Eddie J he's good enough for me. After all, if Saints can see the good in Hartley then surely even you bunch of puritanical mealy-mouths can see the benefit of having Marls in the Quarters.

Mayor West (IP Logged)
25 October, 2017 20:18
I have a challenge for those of you that have too much time on your hands or enjoy compiling statistics a bit too much. How does Joe's discipline record compare to other forwards over the last few years, in respect of yellows, reds and weeks banned. Including international games. You can keep it just to the premiership players if you like.

25 October, 2017 20:43
I'm not sure how he compares to other players but 14 yellows and a red in 140 starts (158 games) - according to Stabunker - is a poor record. 21 yellows in his full career, although amazingly he hasn't been binned for England if their stats are to be believed.

St Christopher of Robshaw has 3 yellows in a career total of 293 starts (305 games).

blucherquin (IP Logged)
25 October, 2017 21:18
I seriously dont understand why anyone thinks having an aggressive and antagonistic prop is bad.

25 October, 2017 21:19
Quote:
blucherquin
I seriously dont understand why anyone thinks having an aggressive and antagonistic prop is bad.

THIS.

Man from LA (IP Logged)
25 October, 2017 21:32
People have to remember last year Joe admitted that he was seeing a sports therapist and stuff needed addressing, since then he has had the odd brain-fart but has toned it down. Joe has his demons (as we all do) and from time to time they surface. Doesn't excuse it but with Joe you know what you are getting. People who are saying maybe we should get rid, what makes you think a new prop will be a better player *and* an angel on the pitch? They are forgetting Quins have one of the best props in the world who could easily go play for a team that's winning trophies every year but wants to play for his boyhood club. Be careful what you wish for.

25 October, 2017 21:49
Quote:
blucherquin
I seriously don�t understand why anyone thinks having an aggressive and antagonistic prop is bad.

Because when he isn’t on the pitch he’s contributing nothing.

And he can be aggressive without being stupid.

Great player no doubt but with his international commitments we can’t afford to lose him for club games as well. Particularly as he’s likely taking a hefty chunk out of our wage cap.

blucherquin (IP Logged)
25 October, 2017 21:49
Quote:
talkshowhost86
Quote:
blucherquin
I seriously don�t understand why anyone thinks having an aggressive and antagonistic prop is bad.

Great player no doubt but with his international commitments we can’t afford to lose him for club games as well. Particularly as he’s likely taking a hefty chunk out of our wage cap.

Sure but I wouldnt swap him for another prop. Yes he sometimes goes over the edge but I want him playing on the edge. This season he has been stupid again - but hes also been superb.

26 October, 2017 05:59
Quote:
blucherquin
Quote:
talkshowhost86
Quote:
blucherquin

Sure but I wouldnt swap him for another prop. Yes he sometimes goes over the edge but I want him playing on the edge. This season he has been stupid again - but hes also been superb.

Also this.

I'm not sure where that off-pitch comment comes from, as we don't have any insight into what goes on behind closed doors. As long as he is winning ball and winning games on the pitch, I really don't care. Like I said, I'd rather see him in a Quins shirt than, say, a Sarries one.

And as the Sale faithful said of Chabal - He may be an animal, but at least he's our animal.

Scaramouche (IP Logged)
26 October, 2017 09:33
Quote:
Quinten Poulsen
I'm not sure how he compares to other players but 14 yellows and a red in 140 starts (158 games) - according to Stabunker - is a poor record. 21 yellows in his full career, although amazingly he hasn't been binned for England if their stats are to be believed.
St Christopher of Robshaw has 3 yellows in a career total of 293 starts (305 games).

So one of them got TWO cards!

Illegitimi non carborundum

T-Bone (IP Logged)
26 October, 2017 09:38
Quote:
Quinten Poulsen

Didn't he get a yellow against Argentina, when their player got a red? Joe provoked him by holding him back at a breakdown, their guy stamped on Joe?

Do you have a breakdown of what those yellows are for? Presumably some are for technical offences at scrum time. I doubt all are for off the ball stuff. Probably still too many

Fursty (IP Logged)
26 October, 2017 11:03
Quote:
RleQuin
Quote:
Quinky Kin
Quote:
RleQuin
RleQ

RleQ

Was by far in a way not the worst thing Wayne Barnes did afternoon - they yellow card for skinner was pretty much unforgivable.

26 October, 2017 11:06
Quote:
Didn't he get a yellow against Argentina, when their player got a red? Joe provoked him by holding him back at a breakdown, their guy stamped on Joe?

That's what I thought, but my memory is poor.

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
26 October, 2017 11:23
Quote:
Fursty
Quote:
RleQuin
Quote:
Quinky Kin
Quote:
RleQuin
RleQ

RleQ

Was by far in a way not the worst thing Wayne Barnes did afternoon - they yellow card for skinner was pretty much unforgivable.

Was that where Barnes called that the ball was out of the scrum, Will dived on it, then Barnes decided that it hadn't been out after all?

T-Bone (IP Logged)
26 October, 2017 13:01
Quote:
Quinky Kin
Quote:
Fursty
Quote:
RleQuin
Quote:
Quinky Kin
Quote:
RleQuin
RleQ

RleQ

Was that where Barnes called that the ball was out of the scrum, Will dived on it, then Barnes decided that it hadn't been out after all?

Yep, Barnes had a meltdown that day. Very bad day at the office. It was one of his "it's all about me games"

26 October, 2017 14:31
Quote:
Quinky Kin

I've watched it again after the verdict and I think to say he was trying to hit his arm is being very generous.

From every angle it looks more like he's going for the head and then slightly changes his mind at the end.

I can't really understand why he would try and hit the arm with that sort of action. But having said that I'm fairly happy that I'm not in the same head-space as Joe Marler so who knows what was going on in his mind.

Either way it was pretty stupid.

Whilst we are all criticising Joe however, is this the first time he's been cited for anything since 2011 for Quins?

I think maybe that's through the RFU only (they are the only searchable records I can find) so not sure about in Europe.

Mayor West (IP Logged)
26 October, 2017 17:50
So he isn't that bad after all. I knew it. How does Ashton's record compare?

Bolly-Quin (IP Logged)
26 October, 2017 21:49
[m.bbc.co.uk]

Probably free to play for England now...

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
27 October, 2017 07:40
Loving the comments.

Fearless Fred (IP Logged)
27 October, 2017 08:51
Just confirmed by ESPN that the appeal was successful, so he'll be free to play from Nov 13th.

T-Bone (IP Logged)
27 October, 2017 09:22
Some pretty baffling comments on that BBC article. Worrying number of very thick people about

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
27 October, 2017 09:56
Quote:
T-Bone
Some pretty baffling comments on that BBC article. Worrying number of very thick people about

That's the disciplinary committee you're talking about!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net