rugbyunion
Latest News:

Quinssa WebsiteQuins News from News NowQuins Official Site

Visser - Mercurial?
05 November, 2017 14:42
Odd comment by MM pre-match, with a knowing smile he called Visser 'Mercurial' .......Dictionary says 'subject to sudden or unpredictable changes of mood or mind'

Re: Visser - Mercurial?
QuinAlan (IP Logged)
05 November, 2017 15:34
Good job he is mercurial. Like him a lot. We really need to hold onto him. He gives us things Yarde couldnt find. Kicking touches, & a fantastic receiver of kick passes.

Fearless Fred (IP Logged)
05 November, 2017 15:38
While that's one definition of Mercurial, there's another one that is based on the alternative name for Mercury: Quicksilver. So, in a glass half full view, MM may be meaning Visser is the sort of player who is difficult to predict, capable of flowing/moving in unpredictable ways at a great turn of speed...

blucherquin (IP Logged)
05 November, 2017 15:50
Quote:
Harleys Evil Step Mum
Odd comment by MM pre-match, with a knowing smile he called Visser 'Mercurial' .......Dictionary says 'subject to sudden or unpredictable changes of mood or mind'

It’s one of the most misused words.

It didn’t - despite the above - ever mean hard to pin down in terms of the way you move - it meant as in volatile and unpredictable (again, not as in dodging tackles).

I guess maybe (as above) people might think because of the way liquid mercury rolls about (although it’s quite predictable actually, it goes wherever you pour it....) that it’s got something to do with that.

Sports commentators and writers use it - incorrectly - all the time.

Kent Fan (IP Logged)
05 November, 2017 17:30
Who cares .....Tim was steady under the high ball in the first half but missed a tackle for a try so some good some bad but overall he was fine.

SiBolton (IP Logged)
05 November, 2017 17:50
Isn’t this just another fishing for negativity post?
Like what will the turn out be next weekend etc

We fought back really well today, Visser was excellent, and the team showed real character, can’t we just focus on a positive for a while or does it always have to be “Come all and winge”

talkshowhost86 (IP Logged)
05 November, 2017 18:20
Quote:
SiBolton
Isn�t this just another fishing for negativity post?
Like what will the turn out be next weekend etc

We fought back really well today, Visser was excellent, and the team showed real character, can�t we just focus on a positive for a while or does it always have to be �Come all and winge�

Well it was a post made before the game so not sure what your point is around focusing on a positive when the positive hadn’t actually happened.

But I agree this is another thread looking for a negative from nothing.

Clearly MM was saying it as a compliment.

05 November, 2017 18:21
Seriously.....Love Viss, big strong, straight running winger......nothing mercurial about him as far as I can see.....just leads credence to this JK/Viss spat from earlier in the season....I'm just nosey...I want to know whats going on!!

Quinten Poulsen (IP Logged)
05 November, 2017 19:24
Quote:
JK/Viss spat

Evidence?

Jayzero (IP Logged)
05 November, 2017 23:40
Sooo, no comment on the game HESM?
Didn't it fulfil your expectations? No opportunity to use a squealing headline in capitals?
You must be so dissapointed...

The future is bright. The future is multi-coloured!

Ironic_man (IP Logged)
06 November, 2017 00:59
Quote:
Harleys Evil Step Mum

Yes... I always thought they meant like a mercenary - i.e. does the dirty work. But can see the other side of being a mercenary.

Commentators nearly always use it in a positive way - Stuart Barnes being a lover of the mercurial fly half...

blucherquin (IP Logged)
06 November, 2017 07:21
Erm, wasn't the post just asking what was meant by it?

The answer is -- whatever the commentator meant -- it's got nothing to do with what mercurial means.

Mercurial means being volatile or having an unpredictable character.

Bolly-Quin (IP Logged)
06 November, 2017 07:23
This may or may not help...

Dear Word Detective: I’ve been trying to find any differences in the connotations of “capricious” and “mercurial.” They both deal with inconsistencies, but the only difference seems to be in their etymology: “capricious” started with the inconsistencies of goats, whereas “mercurial” started with the inconsistencies of the god Mercury. Is there anything more to these two words’ meanings? — Danielle Then.

That’s an interesting question. Say, do you mind if I borrow “The Inconsistencies of Goats” for the title of my next book? Usually I’d think of one myself, but all these goats are driving me crazy. I’ve tried to convince them they’d be happier outside, but they get halfway out the door and change their minds. Aside from a touch of agoraphobia, however, goats are just about the coolest animals going, much cooler than sheep, who are, let’s be blunt, total idiots. Goats are actually a lot like cats. Except for the horns, of course. I’m glad cats don’t have horns, aren’t you? Oh yeah, you had a question.

“Capricious,” which today we use to mean “impulsive,” “unpredictable” and, therefore, “unreliable,” is, appropriately, a word with a somewhat convoluted history. The noun behind the adjective “capricious” is “caprice,” meaning “whim, impulse, sudden urge or unusual action.” English borrowed our “caprice” in the 17th century from the French, who had adapted the Italian “capriccio,” also meaning “whim,” etc. But the earlier and original meaning of the Italian word was not “whim,” but “sudden shock” or “horror.” And the animal behind the word was not a goat, but a hedgehog. The Italian word is thought to be a blend of “caput” (head) with “riggio” (hedgehog), describing a person whose hair was standing on end, like a hedgehog’s, from fright or surprise. When “capriccio” eventually lightened up in Italian and came to mean “playful, whimsical,” the fact that it resembled the Italian word “capro” (goat) led people to associate the frisky play of young goats with “capriciousness,” which made much more sense than trying to rationalize “friskiness” with the torpid behavior of hedgehogs.

“Mercurial,” meaning “lively, volatile, given to quick changes of mood,” does indeed hark back to the Roman god Mercury (who was based on the Greek god Hermes), messenger of the gods and a notably fleet fellow (due in part to his winged shoes). Interestingly, Mercury was also the god of trade and travel, and his name comes from the Latin “merx,” meaning (and the root of) “merchandise.” “Mercury” today is best known as the name of a planet, an element, and a brand of car made, until 2011, by Ford. The adjective “mercurial,” which first appeared in English in the 14th century, can refer to anything having anything do do with Mercury, from the planet to the element, various plants, and medicines containing the element. The use of “mercurial” to mean “highly changeable” in reference to people dates to the mid-17th century and was apparently originally a reference to the fickle personality of the god Mercury. The modern use of “mercurial,” however, is more a reference to the metallic form of mercury (also known as “quicksilver”), which is the only metal which is liquid at room temperature. Apart from being extremely toxic, mercury is known for its highly fluid and quick movement, which is what makes it a good metaphor for swift change and unpredictability.

Every thesaurus I’ve checked considers “capricious” and “mercurial” to be synonyms, but I think there is a slight difference between the two. To describe someone as “mercurial” is not necessarily at all derogatory. Great artists and similar sensitive types are often lively, impulsive and given to “quicksilver” changes of mood. But to describe someone as “capricious” marks the person as undependable, flighty, and possibly petty, likely to disregard the effect of a sudden change in plans, etc., on other people. It’s not a distinction that can be traced to etymology or the broad definitions of the words, but I do think “mercurial” and “capricious” have developed that shade of difference in modern usage

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
06 November, 2017 10:59
I always thought it meant blows hot and cold.

06 November, 2017 11:01
Dear Jayzero.....WE WERE BRILLIANT...CHAMPIONS ELECT!!! (Sm46)

blucherquin (IP Logged)
06 November, 2017 13:24
Quote:
Harleys Evil Step Mum
Seriously.....Love Viss, big strong, straight running winger......nothing mercurial about him as far as I can see.....just leads credence to this JK/Viss spat from earlier in the season....I'm just nosey...I want to know whats going on!!

No it doesn’t.

Sports bloke uses English bad coz no understand word.

End of story.

InsertQuinsPunHere (IP Logged)
06 November, 2017 14:21
Quote:
Bolly-Quin
Dear Word Detective: ... snip

Well, helpful or not, I enjoyed it!

Scaramouche (IP Logged)
07 November, 2017 00:01
Quote:
InsertQuinsPunHere
Quote:
Bolly-Quin
Dear Word Detective: ... snip

Well, helpful or not, I enjoyed it!

I fell asleep.

Illegitimi non carborundum

ChipsteadQuin (IP Logged)
07 November, 2017 11:34
Well whatever adjective you use for him , for a man who was posting pictures sunning himself in Dubai on Wednesday , did a first class job at a windy and Windy Allianz 4 days later .

I think they said its was his first appearance in the Anglo Welsh since 2008 ,so clearly was never expecting to have to play , never mind be called back from the Middle East .

Ive never seen him play at 15 , but he did a great job catching and clearing and was unlucky not to score .

Most pleasing was to see him bouncing around with the academy boys in the excitement of winning at the end , clearly a good team man .

Doesn't suggest to me he is at odds with anyone .

10/10 for attitude .

PQ2 (IP Logged)
07 November, 2017 13:18
...So nothing to do with flying in with a whopping great bunch of flowers, then?

Scaramouche (IP Logged)
07 November, 2017 15:20
He could not do that because they would think he was a Stalker.

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
07 November, 2017 15:21
Very funny, petal.

07 November, 2017 16:44
Leaf it out, you two...

Mayor West (IP Logged)
07 November, 2017 17:32
Time to nip this one in the bud.

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
07 November, 2017 18:24
It all stems from the punmeister himself...

Mayor West (IP Logged)
07 November, 2017 21:10
Poppycock!!

07 November, 2017 21:25
Poppycock - A streaker on Remembrance Sunday.

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
07 November, 2017 22:15
Glad we got to the root of it.

Scaramouche (IP Logged)
08 November, 2017 08:17
If you keep taking pot shots at me I'll soil myself.

Mayor West (IP Logged)
08 November, 2017 09:25
For peats sake, this thread is giving me gyp.

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
08 November, 2017 10:34
Don't leave... Stay, men...

(geddit? Stamen? I'll get me coat)

And then he rose... to leaf...

Scaramouche (IP Logged)
08 November, 2017 11:34
Squiffy I'm beginning to think you are a Management Plant.

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
08 November, 2017 13:00
Are you trying to bamboo-zle me?

Do you think we should sign Carl Fearns? To replace Mark Maple-toft?

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
08 November, 2017 13:29
Please ban these two immediately DOK.

PQ2 (IP Logged)
08 November, 2017 15:00
No! -Let them get on with it - pistils at dawn...

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
08 November, 2017 17:33
Did we push you over the hedge Rodney? Please don't be a grass... you might start a turf war.

Mayor West (IP Logged)
08 November, 2017 18:01
Are you lot compost mentis, you seem to have lost the plot.

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
08 November, 2017 18:36
This thread is really going to seed...

This Thread has been closed
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net