rugbyunion
Latest News:

Quinssa WebsiteQuins News from News NowQuins Official Site

Jamie Roberts
QuincyJones (IP Logged)
06 November, 2017 15:21
Was interviewed on BBC Rugby podcast by Ugo and he said this will be his last season at Quins.

Expected probably, but now confirmed!

Re: Jamie Roberts
DazzaS (IP Logged)
06 November, 2017 15:05
Have to say that is not a bad thing. We never got our money's worth from him.

DOK (IP Logged)
06 November, 2017 15:24
Suspect JK has looked at him and Marland Yarde and concluded the money can be put to better use.

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
06 November, 2017 15:32
Bring Sloan in now.

I'm sure he didn't draw as many defenders as Jamie, but I think he made more metres in heavy traffic than Roberts has managed all season.

New Forest Quin (IP Logged)
06 November, 2017 15:50
That would free up an alleged £398,000 pa.

Fearless Fred (IP Logged)
06 November, 2017 15:51
Having just listened to the 'cast, he says "It's my last year at Quins, I think, and a number of big decisions to make over the next few months" all as a part of what his short/medium term goals are, as well as targeting 100 caps for Wales. I read that as he's in the middle of discussions with Quins (and maybe the WRU and a Welsh Province) while also looking at how that meshes with his medical career. I wouldn't assume it's a done deal that he's leaving at this point.

DazzaS (IP Logged)
06 November, 2017 15:55
Quote:
New Forest Quin

I think he is our only marquee player. The money freed up is not from the salary cap.

Or do we have another marquee player I am not aware of. I do not think it is Horwill because he came in when we still had both Evans and Roberts.

T-Bone (IP Logged)
06 November, 2017 15:57
Quote:
DazzaS
Quote:
New Forest Quin

I think he is our only marquee player. The money freed up is not from the salary cap.

Or do we have another marquee player I am not aware of. I do not think it is Horwill because he came in when we still had both Evans and Roberts.

Saili?

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
06 November, 2017 16:55
Glynn.

Jammy Git (IP Logged)
06 November, 2017 17:01
Dave Lewis

O Fortuna, velut luna statu variabilis,
semper crescis aut decrescis

blucherquin (IP Logged)
06 November, 2017 17:12
Hardly a conclusive quote -- guess it's going to come down to what he thinks he can still do in his career. Not sure Wales won't be replacing him with someone else for Japan - but if he thinks he can make 100 caps..then good luck to him.

New rules mean he'll probably need to be back in a province to get a chance of selection.

If he doesn't really think he's got more to do with Wales national team (although totally understand why he wouldn't say so out loud) then I guess whoever will pay him the most for another few years will win...

talkshowhost86 (IP Logged)
06 November, 2017 18:49
Quote:
blucherquin
Hardly a conclusive quote -- guess it's going to come down to what he thinks he can still do in his career. Not sure Wales won't be replacing him with someone else for Japan - but if he thinks he can make 100 caps..then good luck to him.
New rules mean he'll probably need to be back in a province to get a chance of selection.

If he doesn't really think he's got more to do with Wales national team (although totally understand why he wouldn't say so out loud) then I guess whoever will pay him the most for another few years will win...

How is it not a conclusive quote?

MrOther (IP Logged)
06 November, 2017 20:31
Quote:
DazzaS
Quote:
New Forest Quin

The salary cap is only a binding constraint if the paymasterís pockets are deep enough to pay more.

Why do we assume that they are that deep?

QuincyJones (IP Logged)
06 November, 2017 21:34
Quote:
Fearless Fred
Having just listened to the 'cast, he says "It's my last year at Quins, I think, and a number of big decisions to make over the next few months" all as a part of what his short/medium term goals are, as well as targeting 100 caps for Wales. I read that as he's in the middle of discussions with Quins (and maybe the WRU and a Welsh Province) while also looking at how that meshes with his medical career. I wouldn't assume it's a done deal that he's leaving at this point.

That's a hell of a lot to read into a quote isn't it?! He said it was his last year at Quins, so I read that to mean it's his last year at Quins.

The 'I think' part, I just took to mean barring something out of the ordinary, which is fairly reasonable.

DOK (IP Logged)
06 November, 2017 22:44
Well, I like the way he has finally come round to playing for Quins, but I have to agree - he's not been value for money. Obviously Duncan Saville is willing to spend nearly £400K on a marquee player - I just think we can do better than the performances we've seen from Jamie Roberts. Sorry - I know that sounds brutal, but it's how I see it.

Stooperman (IP Logged)
07 November, 2017 09:46
Quote:
DOK
Well, I like the way he has finally come round to playing for Quins, but I have to agree - he's not been value for money. Obviously Duncan Saville is willing to spend nearly £400K on a marquee player - I just think we can do better than the performances we've seen from Jamie Roberts. Sorry - I know that sounds brutal, but it's how I see it.

Completely agree DOK, & I'd even be a bit harsher and say that Robert's occasional good performances seem to coincide very neatly with the selection windows for either Lions tours, AIs or 6NS. But he has played well for us in the last 3 or 4 games so please may it continue.

I think we can definitely get better value for money, & with Saili and Sloan in the squad I'd rather spend the money on a 7 please. Just think that we can't afford to rely on Wallace and Ward as our 7s. The new laws around the tackle and ruck seem to have severely dented Wardy's impact as a 7. I also think Robshaw's pace which was never great is beginning to become more of a limiting factor on him being a 7 as time & injuries take their toll.

Lamb and White looked OK, but they will take a couple more years to develop, & poor old CLifford seems doomed to be injury prone.

All points above purely IMHO and up for civilised discussion(Sm100)

Scaramouche (IP Logged)
07 November, 2017 11:58
You are completely wrong so naff off.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Roaming Quin (IP Logged)
07 November, 2017 12:05
Agree we need a 7. But what marquee player would you bring in? It's going to be hard this side of the RWC to get any SH of quality and age.

Stooperman (IP Logged)
07 November, 2017 13:28
Quote:
Scaramouche

Ahh memories of the late great Ronnie B..."naff orrff Godber" brings a tear to the eye.(Sm128)

Scaramouche (IP Logged)
07 November, 2017 15:25
Quote:
Stooperman
Quote:
Scaramouche

Ahh memories of the late great Ronnie B..."naff orrff Godber" brings a tear to the eye.(Sm128)

Can't bring myself to watch the current remake tbh....

TeddingtonQuin (IP Logged)
07 November, 2017 22:42
Quote:
Scaramouche
Quote:
Stooperman
Quote:
Scaramouche

Can't bring myself to watch the current remake tbh....

100%

They really shouldn't do that kind of thing, they've all failed as remakes, OFAH, OAA and Porridge. they should be left well alone as the classics that they are. With the shift in the way TV is watched now I don't think we'll see their like again.

West Stand, Block FD, Row S
@JT075 #COYQ

TeddingtonQuin (IP Logged)
07 November, 2017 22:47
Quote:
Stooperman
Quote:
DOK

Completely agree DOK, & I'd even be a bit harsher and say that Robert's occasional good performances seem to coincide very neatly with the selection windows for either Lions tours, AIs or 6NS. But he has played well for us in the last 3 or 4 games so please may it continue.

Agree with all this and I'll add that Dr Who has stepped up somewhat this season which I'd say is for one reason - that he now has competition for the 12 shirt in the form of Sailli, something he's not really had before. For Roberts to just show up when there is either a selection battle or he sees his shirt being taken away shows that he isn't playing for the club, his team mates or the fans. I'd be quite happy for him to do a Marlene.....

West Stand, Block FD, Row S
@JT075 #COYQ

blucherquin (IP Logged)
08 November, 2017 07:23
Dr Who is our new 12 because the last one is doing porridge?

Scaramouche (IP Logged)
08 November, 2017 08:29
No. Marlene has been booted out by Del Boy so Dr Who eats porridge before every game that is Saili ing close to the wind.

blucherquin (IP Logged)
08 November, 2017 09:31
Quote:
Scaramouche
No. Marlene has been booted out by Del Boy so Dr Who eats porridge before every game that is Saili ing close to the wind.

Charmless nerk.

Scaramouche (IP Logged)
08 November, 2017 10:23
Mr Mackay!

Brown Bottle (IP Logged)
08 November, 2017 20:15
OAA? I must be old enough, but...

BB

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/2017 20:15 by Brown Bottle.

This Thread has been closed
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net