rugbyunion
Latest News:

Quinssa WebsiteQuins News from News NowQuins Official Site

Worcs game
HonkyTonk (IP Logged)
12 November, 2017 15:51
Illness has the better of me today so at home. Seems like we are doing ok. What happened to Walters, anyone know??

Re: Worcs game
HonkyTonk (IP Logged)
12 November, 2017 15:52
Just noticed Saunders off now, cant believe this season!!!!

12 November, 2017 16:09
45 to 27 per the BBC at the moment.

Any body at the game?

I missed today due to rail replacement bus making the journey a pain

PeterboroughQuin (IP Logged)
12 November, 2017 16:10
TRY FEST 12 TRIES SO FAR

45-32

10 Minutes to go.

Quins down to 14 after yellow card to Charlie Piper

Crowd - 7,300

HonkyTonk (IP Logged)
12 November, 2017 16:10
Follow this link, gives more info

[twitter.com]

12 November, 2017 16:16
45-37

8 minutes to go

Roaming Quin (IP Logged)
12 November, 2017 16:17
Can we please get a defensive coach.

12 November, 2017 16:23
45-37 Final Score

COYQ

Scrumhead (IP Logged)
12 November, 2017 16:26
Quote:
Quins brixton branch
45 to 27 per the BBC at the moment.
Any body at the game?

I missed today due to rail replacement bus making the journey a pain

Same here. Sounds like we missed a try fest.

2 games, 2 BP wins. If only we had that kind of form in the AP!

12 November, 2017 16:34
And only second in the Group as Exeter demolished the Scarlets....

12 November, 2017 16:51
Literally couldn’t be arsed to go... sounds like I missed a carbon copy of the league game... glad we know how to score a try, but defensively... WHAT A SHAMBLES!!!!???

MickyThe Lunch (IP Logged)
12 November, 2017 17:25
Weird kind of game. Both teams almost able to score at will. Not much defence on show. Marcus Smith finished at scrum half and made a pretty good show of it.

Bedfordshire Boy (IP Logged)
12 November, 2017 17:37
Very impressed with Smith at 9, James Lang forget his kicking boots this week, must have left them at Allianz Park.

NicoWilson (IP Logged)
12 November, 2017 18:05
We were leaking tries almost constantly. Defensively it was embarrassing.

7k attendance

Team seemed to have more focus when Smith came on

Uncontested scrums when our hooker was in the bin - interesting to see Lambert throwing when we had a line out.

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
12 November, 2017 18:11
Fun game to watch. Some strange refereeing - didn't realise crossing was allowed.

I thought our weakest defender was Ibitoye, sadly. Their winger seemed able to pass hom quite easily. Or maybe it was the defensive structure not working?

Still, a good win for us and some strong performances. Luamanu's try was a thing of beauty, and James Chisholm seems to have superhuman strength at times.

Mancquin (IP Logged)
12 November, 2017 18:20
What odds would you have got before the match on Marcus Smith at scrum half and marking Peter Stringer ?

SiBolton (IP Logged)
12 November, 2017 18:22
Thought weakest defender was Visser, but each to their own
Enjoyed the game but of the Quins throw it about style, and let’s ni5 take anything away from Worcester Hammond ( I think) has real pace

Be better when we get the hearing fixed as it was well parky

talkshowhost86 (IP Logged)
12 November, 2017 18:42
An absolutely farcical game in many ways.

Both teams may as well have left the defences at home and by the end of the game it was very unclear who was playing where for Quins.

Not sure it’s a good sign we conceded so many tries to a Worcester backup team but we were always going to be a shambles with so many injuries so a win is a win and it was great fun to watch.

Exeter will murder us next weekend but let’s enjoy this one for now.

Samquin (IP Logged)
12 November, 2017 18:34
Quote:
talkshowhost86

Though not Anglo Welsh next weekend so different members of both squads involved.

Big concern may be the number of injuries we have picked up.

12 November, 2017 18:58
Quote:
Samquin
Quote:
talkshowhost86

Though not Anglo Welsh next weekend so different members of both squads involved.

Big concern may be the number of injuries we have picked up.

My concern is our squad won’t actually be that different due to the injuries.

HonkyTonk (IP Logged)
The clubs twitter said that between both sides, during the game there was a total of 23 changes due to injury, blood, HIA etc. We might not have 23 for next week. Looking at the Exeter side today, good knows what will happen if they bring back their first team players!!! Their side today would beat us next week

Teddington Taff (IP Logged)
The referee was appalling.

If this is the standard that we can expect at the Stoop we should all stay at home. Why oh why do the comments revolbve around the refereeing decisions?

Cant we be allowed to expect better as the standard?

Saintquin (IP Logged)
12 November, 2017 18:52
Quote:
HonkyTonk
The clubs twitter said that between both sides, during the game there was a total of 23 changes due to injury, blood, HIA etc.[u][/u] We might not have 23 for next week. Looking at the Exeter side today, good knows what will happen if they bring back their first team players!!! Their side today would beat us next week

I was confused enough on my own with all the changes and then the announcer confused me even more! (Sm26)

Harlequins, (was once) probably the best rugby club in the world!
(Sm115)(Sm115)(Sm115)

Bolly-Quin (IP Logged)
12 November, 2017 18:57
Quote:
Teddington Taff
The referee was appalling.
If this is the standard that we can expect at the Stoop we should all stay at home. Why oh why do the comments revolbve around the refereeing decisions?

Cant we be allowed to expect better as the standard?

?

Bolly-Quin (IP Logged)
12 November, 2017 19:01
Quote:
talkshowhost86

Karl Dickson refereed the Exeter game today...

raedarius (IP Logged)
12 November, 2017 19:07
Question for the stattos. Is Dean Hammond the top try scorer at The Stoop so far this season?

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
12 November, 2017 19:12
Probably. 5 in 2 games now?

Defensive shambles. Really terrible. 30 points shipped again.

Neale Harvey (IP Logged)
12 November, 2017 19:27
Instead of moaning about defences, I really enjoyed that game. Two much-changed teams allied to all the enforced changes meant it became pretty unstructured early on and we had two English teams full of young players showing they could think on their feet, take advantage of space and attack. Damned sight better than what was on offer across the road yesterday!

SiBolton (IP Logged)
12 November, 2017 20:02
Have to agree far more entertaining than the game across the road
And let’s be honest if we continue to get 5 point game and score more try’s than the opposition who cares?

Mind you tha5 being said defend like that next weekend and it will be a very long afternoon at Sandy Park, but I’ll take a win with plenty of running rugby any day

QuickerQuin (IP Logged)
12 November, 2017 20:51
Quote:
Bolly-Quin
Quote:
talkshowhost86

Karl Dickson refereed the Exeter game today...

And awarded three penalty tries.

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
12 November, 2017 21:05
Quote:
Neale Harvey
Instead of moaning about defences, I really enjoyed that game. Two much-changed teams allied to all the enforced changes meant it became pretty unstructured early on and we had two English teams full of young players showing they could think on their feet, take advantage of space and attack. Damned sight better than what was on offer across the road yesterday!

Sure, but as you're not (to my knowledge) a quins supporter, you're hardly likely to be too concerned about us shipping 30 points a game.

HonkyTonk (IP Logged)
12 November, 2017 22:18
the match report states Lewis was injured not rested. That means of our 5 SH, all are unavailable!!!

quite comical really

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
12 November, 2017 22:56
Quote:
HonkyTonk
the match report states Lewis was injured not rested. That means of our 5 SH, all are unavailable!!!
quite comical really

Apart from that new one... What's his name? Smith? 🙂

ChipsteadQuin (IP Logged)
13 November, 2017 09:26
Not surprising that Warriors again ( as a couple of weeks ago ) benefitted from creating unstructured defence then spun it wide they left several out on the wings to run the 5m channels.

I think our defence is pretty solid when we are set up in a line , seems to crumble when we are scrambling expecially out wide .

Pleased we are able to score at the other end though , plenty have similar defensive issues to us and cant make up for it by racking up points .

I thought Langs defence was good yesterday ( even if his boot was a bit erratic ) and the young guys Lamb , Okofor made a difference and Josh Ibuanokpe is some ball carrier ! .

Enjoyed the game .

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
13 November, 2017 09:47
Big Josh does make an impact. It will be good to see how effective he is when he fills out a bit...

JJ Mk2?

T-Bone (IP Logged)
13 November, 2017 11:07
Didn't see the game, but certainly sounds entertaining. Great that we are continuing to score tries, but really concerning that we keep leaking so many points, and the injuries continue to be ridiculous. 5 9s unavailable now? Are available half back options are now Smith and Lang? Do we actually have enough half backs to be able to train this week with Smith away?

While I understand the point of view that says "If we concede 30, who cares as long as we score 40", the issue with this particular competition is that we cannot control how others in our group do, so points difference could well come into it.

Anyway, looking forward to seeing some highlights.

never sleep (IP Logged)
13 November, 2017 11:24
I enjoyed the game. It was certainly a better event that I had experienced at the EngvArg game the day before. The crowd was small - but a good crowd who gave the impression that they wanted to be there.
The highpoint for me was Mat's try. He could easily become my favourite player to watch.
We were disjointed due to in-game injuries - HIA's, Blood etc. E.g. Visser started at FB, moved to wing, then back to FB and was then subbed. Both our Sh took knocks and Smith then filled in.
Smith did a good job filling in a SH apart from his kicking. I thought that his kicking from the base of the ruck led to two Wuss tries. I guess that a SH kicking game is different from a FH kicking game. I agree that Ibitoye looked like the weak link in defence. Wuss seemed to be targeting him.
I was surprised that Ross didn't get more game time. Maybe he isn't up to full fitness yet.
For me, the MoM would be a todd up between Mat, Lambo and Alofa^2. We certainly had the better of the scrum all afternoon.
I was also pleased to see Chis playing for most of the game (I was worried with his concussion history). Good also to see him on the scoreboard. He was in the bar afterwards and looked happy.
Also, Max spoke at the DHL tent and he says that he may be back for the Chiefs game.

13 November, 2017 11:26
Quote:
T-Bone
Didn't see the game, but certainly sounds entertaining. Great that we are continuing to score tries, but really concerning that we keep leaking so many points, and the injuries continue to be ridiculous. 5 9s unavailable now? Are available half back options are now Smith and Lang? Do we actually have enough half backs to be able to train this week with Smith away?
While I understand the point of view that says "If we concede 30, who cares as long as we score 40", the issue with this particular competition is that we cannot control how others in our group do, so points difference could well come into it.

To be fair, I think tries scored actually trumps points difference in the Anglo Welsh, so it would take an odd set of circumstances for points difference to become an issue.

Mind you, we're behind Exeter on that as well at the moment, and I dread to think how many tries they're going to stick on Worcester.

Basically due to how strong Exeter are, our changes of getting through are pretty slim whichever way you look at it.

But considering our ludicrous list of injuries, that may be no bad thing.

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
13 November, 2017 11:30
Agree with pretty much all of neversleep's post. Big Mat swatting off attempted tacklers is a joy to watch. I really enjoy seeing him on a charge.

I thought Chis Jr played very well but was subbed early. Alofa played well and Lambo was involved everywhere. I thought Elia looked very good again, and Piper was impressive when he came on too. Not sure why he was carded though. One played not mentioned so far is Sloan, who looks to be in very good form right now.

never sleep (IP Logged)
13 November, 2017 11:33
Quote:
talkshowhost86
Quote:
T-Bone

To be fair, I think tries scored actually trumps points difference in the Anglo Welsh, so it would take an odd set of circumstances for points difference to become an issue.

Mind you, we're behind Exeter on that as well at the moment, and I dread to think how many tries they're going to stick on Worcester.

Basically due to how strong Exeter are, our changes of getting through are pretty slim whichever way you look at it.

I must confess that I don't really understand the format :-) --- but, don't Exeter still need to play Sarries? If so, is it at Sandy or Aliens Park?
I must say though, I would feel hard done by if we scored 20 points in the competition and still didn't go through.

Fearless Fred (IP Logged)
13 November, 2017 11:56
Quote:
never sleep
Quote:
talkshowhost86
Quote:
T-Bone

I must confess that I don't really understand the format :-) --- but, don't Exeter still need to play Sarries? If so, is it at Sandy or Aliens Park?
I must say though, I would feel hard done by if we scored 20 points in the competition and still didn't go through.

Exeter will be playing Sarries at Sandy Park in the last round of the pool stage. They face Worcester away in Round 3. We have Scarlets at home and Saints away in R4.

This is how the pools stand at the moment:

https://image.ibb.co/je8iQw/Screen_Shot_2017_11_13_at_12_15_08.png

Depending on how things pan out, it's possible we could end up with the full 20 points but fail to go through because Exeter have a better points difference to ours, while Saints go through from Pool 3 with as little as 6 to 10 points (depending on LBP and TBP). The issue is that they had to come up with an equal number of home & away games for all 16 teams for financial reasons, and the only way to do that is with the stupid P1vP4 & P2vP3 stage...

Fursty (IP Logged)
13 November, 2017 12:08
Nice to see the Welsh teams are taking the competition seriously.

13 November, 2017 12:12
Quote:
Fursty
Well, to be fair they're a week behind the English teams. But, yes, I can't remember a time when they really challenged in the A/W competition...

13 November, 2017 12:14
Quote:
Fursty

If they aren't going to put the effort in, you do sort of wonder what is the point of the competition? At that stage it's just another load of A-League games which nobody really needs.

fandg2 (IP Logged)
13 November, 2017 13:04
Quote:
talkshowhost86
At that stage it's just another load of A-League games which nobody really needs.

Think it's worse than A league as at least that competition now has a structure that could be understood. As someone has already said we could get 20 points and not qualify for the ko stages where as someone, say like Sarries, could still qualify and win the competition, there's a thought!

Sketchley (IP Logged)
13 November, 2017 13:25
Quote:
fandg2
Quote:
talkshowhost86
At that stage it's just another load of A-League games which nobody really needs.

Think it's worse than A league as at least that competition now has a structure that could be understood. As someone has already said we could get 20 points and not qualify for the ko stages where as someone, say like Sarries, could still qualify and win the competition, there's a thought!

The idea is that as semi finals are between the winner of the pools that have played each other so it should balance out. It kind of makes sense but then team can scrape though to semi final on basis of rest of group not being great, then play their first XV.

13 November, 2017 13:31
Quote:
Sketchley
Quote:
fandg2
Quote:
talkshowhost86

The idea is that as semi finals are between the winner of the pools that have played each other so it should balance out. It kind of makes sense but then team can scrape though to semi final on basis of rest of group not being great, then play their first XV.

Personally I hate that you can will *all* your games with a Try Bonus Point & not progress, while a team that you have played against can theoretically lose every game and pick up a solitary bonus point, yet still go through to the knock-out stages. (in fact, it's theoretically true you could go through losing all your games without a bonus point, but still go through through due to a better points difference).

13 November, 2017 15:29
The whole thing is well past its sell-by date, it never did make sense to my mind and never will.

Neale Harvey (IP Logged)
13 November, 2017 17:01
Quote:
Neale Harvey

Regardless of who I support, just enjoy the rugby and chill out! That's what rugby is about, otherwise it's football.

Brown Bottle (IP Logged)
13 November, 2017 18:30
Why do people still struggle with the format?

BB

Wole (IP Logged)
13 November, 2017 19:36
I don't struggle with the format. I just think the format is rubbish. Aside from the reasons state above, it removes dramatic intensity from the matches, as you are not competing against the side you are playing, and cannot do anything about the sides with whom you are competing.

The matches are often entertaining in themselves, as teams tend to attack and young/new/fringe players have a rare chance in a 'first-team' game, but the tournament itself is irritating.

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
13 November, 2017 20:12
Quote:
Neale Harvey
Quote:
Neale Harvey

Regardless of who I support, just enjoy the rugby and chill out! That's what rugby is about, otherwise it's football.

You quoted the wrong message. Im not saying you have no right to comment, simply that you're not likely to be invested. My post was very chilled out, not sure ehy you read it any other way. Of course a neutral prefers a try-fest, it's not 'football' for supporters to decry their team's defence.

GP2110 (IP Logged)
14 November, 2017 12:30
Whilst the format "could" lead to a team with 20 points not qualifying and a team with 0 qualifying, I would suspect that over the years, it has actually been a fair balance across the groups of teams qualifying with the highest points.

At the half way stage, the group leaders currently have 10, 10, 8 and 6 points.

I suspect by the end of the group phase, there will not be much in it.

I personally think it is a sensible way of ensuring 2 x home and 2 x away games. Playing the same opponents makes it a roughly level playing field.

Stooperman (IP Logged)
14 November, 2017 16:27
Quote:
GP2110
Whilst the format "could" lead to a team with 20 points not qualifying and a team with 0 qualifying, I would suspect that over the years, it has actually been a fair balance across the groups of teams qualifying with the highest points.
At the half way stage, the group leaders currently have 10, 10, 8 and 6 points.

I suspect by the end of the group phase, there will not be much in it.

I personally think it is a sensible way of ensuring 2 x home and 2 x away games. Playing the same opponents makes it a roughly level playing field.

Except of course some of the no hoper teams who are already unlikely to qualify may roll over and concede more points in the last game or two that don't matter...Sarries for example (Sm128).

GP2110 (IP Logged)
14 November, 2017 16:37
Is that not the case in any group competition?

As far as I can tell, the only way to avoid that risk is to go back to the straight knock out format.

14 November, 2017 16:43
Quote:
GP2110
Is that not the case in any group competition?
As far as I can tell, the only way to avoid that risk is to go back to the straight knock out format.

Now there`s an idea.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net