13 November, 2017 13:21
So say the club!

Just think how many we'd have if we were a top 4 team! smiling smiley

Re: Harlequins Reach Record Membership Number
NicoWilson (IP Logged)
13 November, 2017 13:42
9,482 members

Around 7k turned out for yesterday's LV Game

Does this mean that the Club are now, finally, calculating attendance as "numbers through the turnstiles" as opposed to "season ticket holders + ticket sales"?

Scaramouche (IP Logged)
13 November, 2017 14:17
I'd like to think the churn has slowed due to the idea first proposed on here that ST Holders should be able to pay monthly as being confronted once a year by a bill of hundreds of pounds is always going to make you think long and hard.

Illegitimi non carborundum

DOK (IP Logged)
13 November, 2017 17:00
We can't really change the way we calculate numbers until other people do. It was comparison of crowds with London Irish that started this. They counted tickets sold, we counted bums on seats. We didn't look so good by comparison, so we changed to their method.

talkshowhost86 (IP Logged)
13 November, 2017 17:11
Quote:
DOK
We can't really change the way we calculate numbers until other people do. It was comparison of crowds with London Irish that started this. They counted tickets sold, we counted bums on seats. We didn't look so good by comparison, so we changed to their method.

Why are we particularly concerned about being compared to other clubs?

I'm sure the club have both sets of data (and let's face it they care more about tickets sold) so I'm not really sure why there needs to be any jiggery-pokery about it.

For yesterday's game, 7,300 looked about right.

DOK (IP Logged)
13 November, 2017 22:51
Why were we concerned? (I don't think we really compare ourselves to London Irish these days). Well, I think things like a sponsor trying to choose between spending money with Harlequins or money with London Irish and concerned that his product got the best coverage possible might be swayed by the fact L Irish claimed an average crowd of 8,000 where Harlequins was 6,500!

blucherquin (IP Logged)
14 November, 2017 08:14
Have to say I hadn't thought about it before but they must use both systems.

When they say a Prem game is a "sell out", there's often plenty of empty seats scattered around us, and we sit on the halfway line in the west stand - so that's season ticket holders not being able to make it to the game.

And yet -- on cup games when the crowd is clearly much smaller -- they announce the actual "attendance"......(presumably actually registering which membership cards are swiped in)

I can only assume they use whichever system makes more sense at the time -- you can't announce a sell out on a game when there's clearly a half-empty ground, but if they sell all the non-season ticket seats for a Prem game then it's a "sell out".....

talkshowhost86 (IP Logged)
14 November, 2017 09:03
Quote:
DOK
Why were we concerned? (I don't think we really compare ourselves to London Irish these days). Well, I think things like a sponsor trying to choose between spending money with Harlequins or money with London Irish and concerned that his product got the best coverage possible might be swayed by the fact L Irish claimed an average crowd of 8,000 where Harlequins was 6,500!

I would hope that sponsors would due a bit more due diligence than simply relying on the numbers provided by a club, and I hope our marketing team would be more than competent enough to explain the actual figures (both massaged and not).

I personally think they could give us the bums on seats figure on match days, but then use the seats sold figure for more commercial purposes.

DOK (IP Logged)
14 November, 2017 09:08
I assume they could - but the question they'll be asking is why bother? The journos want to know the crowd figure, and that's the "tickets sold" figure.

The Prof (IP Logged)
14 November, 2017 11:45
Don't different competitions have different rules for reporting the gate?

TeddingtonQuin (IP Logged)
14 November, 2017 12:16
That's a pretty decent effort taking our performance over the last couple of seasons in to account. Imagine how many memberships they'd shift if we played like a top side every week!

West Stand, Block FD, Row S
@JT075 #COYQ

DOK (IP Logged)
14 November, 2017 12:22
There's always been a disconnect between performance on the pitch and season tickets sold. Mark Evans got the numbers up year on year, despite our less than stellar performances. I even think they went up when we were relegated.

We can't afford to be a top 4 team, we'd need a bigger stadium! smiling smiley

Scaramouche (IP Logged)
14 November, 2017 13:30
If any of our gang cant make it to a game, the "Sell Out" announcement prods you into re-selling the seat through the club. Wi/win as you get some money back and the club gets an actual paying bum on the seat into the ground.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net