rugbyunion
Latest News:

Quinssa WebsiteQuins News from News NowQuins Official Site

Season Ticket Family area
EastSussexQuin (IP Logged)
13 November, 2017 22:04
Hi all,

I bring two young children 8&6 to Quins as season ticket holders. We moved seats last year and basically have a bunch of....idiots, sat in front. Their conversations are not really for the ears of young children. I have spoken to the ticket office, and they will be kindly printing tickets for us each home game. It got me thinking... I know this is a bit like football, but those of us with younger children want to be enjoying the game rather than worrying about what they are going to hear for 80 minutes, so why can there not be some family friendly areas. You simply never know who is going to be sat near you, these guys in front are having a good day out, but sadly it means that me and the mrs are not enjoying ourselves so much. Any thoughts? Has it been suggested before for STH’s?

Re: Season Ticket Family area
New Forest Quin (IP Logged)
13 November, 2017 22:09
All areas should be family friendly area and anyone who is acting in an unsavoury manner should be spoken to and, if that does not work, be asked to leave the stadium.

13 November, 2017 22:38
I agree, but they’ve had a few beers, they are talking a bit louder and the swearing and inappropriate conversations begin. How can you use that as grounds to have a word? I wouldn’t do it, but I respect those around me. They are not shouting obscenities at the team, so they can’t really be thrown out or reprimanded.
It would be a million times worse at football, but why is rugby getting like this?

DOK (IP Logged)
13 November, 2017 22:41
There was a family friendly area in the South Stand when it was made out of Meccano and bits from Homebase! You know, the one that poor London Irish fan put her foot through when it was getting to the end of it's life!

Might be worth seeing if you garner some support from people around you with kids, maybe get up a petition or something for a family area. Or possibly just a letter/call to David Ellis or to the customer experience people at Harlequins might do the trick.

13 November, 2017 22:54
Apparently the suggestion has been put to the membership team...(bin?)
I did say that the nice thing about membership is that you can sit anywhere and I don’t want to see that freedom lost. They initially suggested I call back when the ST needs to be renewed, but I pointed out that it wouldn’t make much difference as we’d still have no idea who we will get stuck next to/in front of/behind.

2bobjimbob (IP Logged)
13 November, 2017 23:16
There's quite a lot of kids in the south stand.
I was impressed with their unprompted 'come all without...' on Sunday!

Scaramouche (IP Logged)
14 November, 2017 01:45
If we ever have the need for a segregated family area it would be a sad day for rugby. Try saying loudly "language! Children present!" Which usually produces the correct response...

Illegitimi non carborundum

raedarius (IP Logged)
14 November, 2017 07:17
We had a family/kid area at the North end of the IG Stand for a few seasons. It appears to have died a death.

QuickerQuin (IP Logged)
14 November, 2017 07:26
Quote:
EastSussexQuin
Hi all,
I bring two young children 8&6 to Quins as season ticket holders. We moved seats last year and basically have a bunch of....idiots, sat in front. Their conversations are not really for the ears of young children. I have spoken to the ticket office, and they will be kindly printing tickets for us each home game. It got me thinking... I know this is a bit like football, but those of us with younger children want to be enjoying the game rather than worrying about what they are going to hear for 80 minutes, so why can there not be some family friendly areas. You simply never know who is going to be sat near you, these guys in front are having a good day out, but sadly it means that me and the mrs are not enjoying ourselves so much. Any thoughts? Has it been suggested before for STH’s?

I think you will need a specific incident of swearing, or other behaviour in the current match and then report it to your steward - orange jacket and make sure that it goes up to the supervisor - yellow jacket. I think it is a pity that you haven't done it before.

Where do you sit?

blucherquin (IP Logged)
14 November, 2017 08:06
I have to say I think maybe you should have said something earlier (I don't mean this in a narky internet way, just maybe it wouldn't have reached the point where you feel like you want to sit somewhere else)

It would indeed be a sad day if families couldn't sit where they wanted.

We're in the middle of the west stand and if anyone swears we politely ask them not to because there are kids around -- and no one has ever objected.

Maybe if no one has told them they're doing it they just don't realise?

NicoWilson (IP Logged)
14 November, 2017 08:33
Quote:
raedarius
We had a family/kid area at the North end of the IG Stand for a few seasons. It appears to have died a death.

Weren't there animals printed on the front of the concrete steps on that part of the stand?

never sleep (IP Logged)
14 November, 2017 08:47
One of my first times at the Stoop, I took my young kids to a game and I bought tickets in the Family area (which was at the North end of the IG stand). I can honestly say that the language overheard on that day from the mainly visiting supporters was worse that I have ever heard at the Stoop. I never bought tickets in that area again. I also sat in the North stand and again some visiting supporters were a little sweary. I have now found my home in the South stand. There are more kids, a good view, No sun in my eyes, Good access to facilities. I would say that it is a good family friendly area.

DOK (IP Logged)
14 November, 2017 09:10
If there is to be a family area, then the South Stand is the obvious place for it.

blucherquin (IP Logged)
14 November, 2017 09:17
Quote:
NicoWilson
Quote:
raedarius

Weren't there animals printed on the front of the concrete steps on that part of the stand?

Nah that's the picture of Adam Jones you're thinking about

blucherquin (IP Logged)
14 November, 2017 09:18
Quote:
DOK
If there is to be a family area, then the South Stand is the obvious place for it.

Genuinely though, I think if you create a "family area" there's an implication that in the rest of the ground you have licence to swear or talk about inappropriate things -- and that would be a real shame.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 14/11/2017 09:18 by blucherquin.

DOK (IP Logged)
14 November, 2017 10:00
I don't read it that way - though I appreciate what you're saying. There are a number of old codgers prefer not to be near kids. Parents may feel less anxious about their kids upsetting people if they're in a family enclosure with lots of similar folk. The people upsetting the original poster may look at the map and decide they don't want to sit next to the Family Enclosure. If they do, then they can't complain if someone takes them to task over language.

QuickerQuin (IP Logged)
14 November, 2017 10:14
Quote:
DOK
I don't read it that way - though I appreciate what you're saying. There are a number of old codgers prefer not to be near kids. Parents may feel less anxious about their kids upsetting people if they're in a family enclosure with lots of similar folk. The people upsetting the original poster may look at the map and decide they don't want to sit next to the Family Enclosure. If they do, then they can't complain if someone takes them to task over language.

Surely if you are going to use foul language it should only be audible to the intended recipients i.e. the people in your group.

I think anyone, young or old, male or female has a right to complain if other spectators are using foul language within earshot.

The most important thing is that action must be taken at the time. It's no good waiting until the next match, or posting on an internet forum.

talkshowhost86 (IP Logged)
14 November, 2017 10:28
Quote:
QuickerQuin
Quote:
DOK

Surely if you are going to use foul language it should only be audible to the intended recipients i.e. the people in your group.

I think anyone, young or old, male or female has a right to complain if other spectators are using foul language within earshot.

The most important thing is that action must be taken at the time. It's no good waiting until the next match, or posting on an internet forum.

I think it has to be sensibly managed to make it a good day out for as many people as possible.

Swearing at the players or loudly so everyone else in the crowd can hear isn't really on considering the number of kids around. But if it's just in conversation between friends then I don't think people can get too upset really.

Family friendly doesn't mean we all have to pander to those with kids. If we're going down that route then those without kids could equally get as narky with those who let their kids chuck balls around the crowded areas, or who spend the entire game shouting rather than actually watching the rugby.

I think if both sides of that divide just act sensibly, then it can be a properly family friendly atmosphere without it having to be segregated.

To the OP, I agree with others that if you think they're being too loud with the swearing just have a word with them and explain. If they then mouth off at you the stewards should be involved, although I imagine they'd be shouted down by those around you fairly quickly.

T-Bone (IP Logged)
14 November, 2017 10:38
Quote:
DOK

Agree with this. I generally hear very little bad language, and often hear people asking the offenders to stop if it is heard, which usually has the desired effect.

I don't like to sit in the south stand because the children are often up and down, not really watching the game. In fact one of the few instances of bad language I've experienced was when we asked one of the coaches of whichever team the children played for to keep them a bit more under control and he told us to eff off.

I tend to find a child kicking the back of my chair or banging the chair in front into my shins to be more detrimental to my enjoyment than the odd swear word.

I think it would be a sad day if we had to have a family area due to bad language and ill mannered adults in the ground, but at the same time, I understand why many fans would want one

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
14 November, 2017 10:49
Yeah, most people do so out of force of habit without considering young ears, and are embarrassed when pulled up on it.

Boonie (IP Logged)
14 November, 2017 11:38
It's been a while since I made it to the Stoop, but I always remember it as being largely family friendly, and "insults" (or perhaps, "corrections") shouted to the ref were more often than not amusing rather than sweary ("That's not even in the same postcode as the offence sir!" or "Ref, can I borrow your brain? I'm building an idiot"). I have heard some bad language, but it tended to be spur of the moment stuff and the perpetrators usually looked highly embarrassed once they realised what they'd said.

I absolutely understand the point of the original post, but I too think it would be a sad day if it was deemed necessary to protect young ears. A polite request should be the first port of call.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to bleat about it all over the internet"

MickyThe Lunch (IP Logged)
14 November, 2017 12:43
We had some lads in front of us last year who were out for a few beers and were a bit of a pain, not regular attenders and mostly not rugby fans. We had kids with us and when they started swearing we just pointed it out to them and to give them their due they stopped. So that course of action is definitely worth a try and I think most people around you will support you.

Robertquin (IP Logged)
14 November, 2017 13:59
Most instances are just one off "Eddie Jones" moments born of frustration.

Scaramouche (IP Logged)
14 November, 2017 14:07
About 10 years ago there was a gentleman behind us in the luvvies stand who was very vocal and animated in his support for the team. Following a particulary awful refereeing decision his voice rose loudly to say, "Ref you are an absolute...(we all braced ourselves for a stream of foul invective...but, he just managed to catch himself sensing the tension around him and came out with)...Twit"!

Well, it was funny at the time.

Illegitimi non carborundum

14 November, 2017 16:25
Thanks for all the feedback!

I have mentioned it to the offenders, and it doesn't seem to stop them, but I have followed all of the usual paths. I wasn't meaning to moan about the swearing, as I always do address it - although last time I turned round to some gents behind I was met with the response of "errr yeah whatever" which is not the usual rugby response.

I was just seeing what people's views would be of having a family area that people could choose to sit in to try and avoid such instances.

I am in the south stand in block BD near the top.

DOK, you have got the jist of what I was suggesting.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net