rugbyunion
Latest News:

Quinssa WebsiteQuins News from News NowQuins Official Site

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Come on you injury update...
blucherquin (IP Logged)
14 November, 2017 13:38
Yep, it's my bugbear (harley's cousin if you're wondering) of the season.

But given we've now signed cover in two positions and between all of us we can barely figure out how to fill a matchday squad, it would be really useful if the club could find it in their powers to update us on our injury list.

It's well beyond ludicrous that at no point have Quins said where Morris has gone, or when announcing a new scrum half they fail to mention what's happened to the others...

I know they were looking for a temporary head of comms, maybe they didn't find anyone and just decided to keep totally silent forever.

Re: Come on you injury update...
talkshowhost86 (IP Logged)
14 November, 2017 13:45
The problem is probably that considering so many of our players seem to get injured during the week, let alone during games, we'd probably need a Sky Sports News style transfer window ticker to keep on top of all our injuries.

We'll presumably get some news when the team is announced on Friday.

Scaramouche (IP Logged)
14 November, 2017 13:52
Quote:
blucherquin
Yep, it's my bugbear (harley's cousin if you're wondering) of the season.
But given we've now signed cover in two positions and between all of us we can barely figure out how to fill a matchday squad, it would be really useful if the club could find it in their powers to update us on our injury list.

It's well beyond ludicrous that at no point have Quins said where Morris has gone, or when announcing a new scrum half they fail to mention what's happened to the others...

I know they were looking for a temporary head of comms, maybe they didn't find anyone and just decided to keep totally silent forever.

Nice!

Illegitimi non carborundum

fandg2 (IP Logged)
14 November, 2017 14:10
where's Morris suppose to have gone? He was sitting in the stand behind me wearing a boot and Harlequins mufti on Sunday

blucherquin (IP Logged)
14 November, 2017 14:13
Quote:
fandg2
where's Morris suppose to have gone? He was sitting in the stand behind me wearing a boot and Harlequins mufti on Sunday

And yet at no point has it been announced that he's been injured. In fact we only know because someone pretending to be young on here saw it on his Instagram.

Likewise the fact that the Cat is going to be out until at least December.

Almost quin (IP Logged)
14 November, 2017 14:14
To be fare they do jerpbus up to date with the major injuries they can't put out a press release every time some one gets a niggle

blucherquin (IP Logged)
14 November, 2017 14:15
Quote:
Almost quin
To be fare they do jerpbus up to date with the major injuries they can't put out a press release every time some one gets a niggle

We've had to sign injury cover!!

And Morris has been out for weeks..

And the Cat has barely played 20 mins since he signed...

I'd agree if it was "a knock", and wouldn't be banging on and on about it on here.

Scaramouche (IP Logged)
14 November, 2017 14:16
Quote:
Almost quin

Is this a post about a new type of sandwich?

fandg2 (IP Logged)
14 November, 2017 14:31
Sorry I just don't get people's fixation on wanting to know injury status.

Yes it's nice to know but I don't need to know and I can understand the club not wanting to tell every man and his dog who's injured and thereby give the opposition information that could be used against us.

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
14 November, 2017 14:34
Please stop this. Telling people who is injured is not going to change planning for the opposition, otherwise nobody would ever release the info.

GP2110 (IP Logged)
14 November, 2017 15:09
Sorry RR - I do not agree on this occasion.

When a team has a relatively low number of injuries, I agree that it will not materially change an opponent's preparation for game day.

However, when there are a vast numbers of players missing I think it would almost certainly help to know who is likely to lineup.

Take Centre for example - there has been discussion of any of the following players starting at the weekend - Roberts, Marchant, Saili, Sloan, Walker, Alofa, Lang.

Having a clearer indication of which of those will play will, almost certainly, help Exeter in my view.

Scaramouche (IP Logged)
14 November, 2017 15:19
I think (occasionallysmiling smiley) that wanting to know about injuries is good because whilst it doesn't change anything it just means that as a fan you feel more up to date and more connected with the club which can only be a good thing in my view. Disinformation and keeping your supporters in the dark is most deffo a negative vibe.

SiBolton (IP Logged)
14 November, 2017 15:37
Why do we need to know?
Are we picking the squad!

And do we really want to give a heads up to all the opposition who is out of our selection
Ok maybe the opposition donít pick their squad based on our selection, but what benefit does it have telling everyone, aside from some wantin* to know

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 14/11/2017 15:41 by SiBolton.

blucherquin (IP Logged)
14 November, 2017 15:50
Quote:
SiBolton
Why do we need to know?
Are we picking the squad!

And do we really want to give a heads up to all the opposition who is out of our selection
Ok maybe the opposition donít pick their squad based on our selection, but what benefit does it have telling everyone, aside from some wantin* to know

JK and everyone else keep talking about having vast numbers of players unavailble.

They've made it a public issue, so I'd just appreciate even the vaguest of guidelines on when some of our players might be coming back to fitness.

No, they don't have to do -- but they've made it a massive issue -- and we've barely seen our two "biggest" signings of the year.

If they said nothing, I'd just assume it was a tactic. But in September they kept estimating who would be back and when -- and now we don't even know officially when -- for example -- the Cat's injury is far worse than expected and is keeping him out until possibly next year.

On the point of tipping off our opposition -- blimey I wish we had a deep enough pool of talented players for that to be true. But honestly, I really can't imagine finding out which of our 4th or 5th choice players is going to stagger around failing to tackle is going to make much difference to tactics. At the moment the best tactic is simply to run vaguely in our direction with the ball -- you'll probably score a try.

Cookie (IP Logged)
14 November, 2017 16:06
This whole giving the opposition an advantage thing is a total red herring. You can't tell me that Exeter are waiting to see if Saili is back before deciding either their team or their tactics. Every team has a style of play that they will broadly stick to and will pick the best team possible while resting the odd player.

As has been mentioned, the fact that we are finding out stuff on Instagram (Morris/Saili) shows a lack of respect for the fans as far as I'm concerned. If the information wasn't available anywhere, that's one thing. If that was the case the players would be told not to post anything. Similarly, we do get an update roughly every 6 weeks, so we are happy to do it sometimes.

When Sarries do their teamsheets they highlight whether a player left out is injured or rested. I don't think it's onerous to give us some kind of hope as to when we might re-strengthen.

DOK (IP Logged)
14 November, 2017 16:18
Mark Evans used to say he didn't issue injury updates because it helped the opposition. So it's a bit of a club tradition, and JK having worked for Mark probably follows the same approach.

T-Bone (IP Logged)
14 November, 2017 16:22
I imagine Exeter tend to focus on their own game and not, as others have said, on which squad member we will be asking to fill in.

We do not need to know, just as we don't need to know what team is being picked each week. However, as fans, season ticket holders, members, whatever, it would be nice of the club to tell us. We are, after all, the ones who shell out our cash to go and support, so you'd think they might like to keep us informed.

JK is keen to stress how many injuries we have, even though he always tells us it's not an excuse while using it as an excuse, so why not elaborate a bit further every now and then. It just seems needlessly negative to keep fans in the dark.

14 November, 2017 16:22
If the club were really worried about injury updates 'tipping off' the opposition wouldn't we release fake information rather than letting the players write about themselves on their Twitter feeds? Also football teams give detailed updates all the time and in their mega-moneyed world presumably have more to lose if they think the opposition will know what they're doing. It simply doesn't stack up as an argument to be honest.

Personally I like to know whether players are injured or not because it's nice to know when they may be back in the team, and I also think it helps if the fans think that a daft selection decision has been made, when it actually turns out it was down to injury.

It seems like a very easy thing to do, and we do it sometimes so they clearly can and aren't worried about some sort of corporate espionage angle. So whilst it doesn't keep me up at night, I don't really understand why we don't just have a full update when the team is announced.

SiBolton (IP Logged)
14 November, 2017 16:32
Smith was announced by the RFU as happened at England training camp
Saili was knocked out at the atmosphere Hoover, the game was live on TV

Thatís hardly finding out by accident
And as DOK has stated a bit of a tradition

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 14/11/2017 16:33 by SiBolton.

Cookie (IP Logged)
14 November, 2017 16:53
We weren't talking about Smith.

Morris announced his on Instagram and Saili said he was going home for 2 weeks also on Instagram which meant he was effectively going to be unavailable for 3 weeks, longer than we would have hoped.

Finding out by accident isn't the point. The point is it's pretty much the only way we can find out details.

Traditions can be changed, especially when they're not very good ones.

I wish I had the kind of laissez faire attitude that I could just hope for the best on Fridays at midday. Sadly, I'm a little more agitated about where are players are than that.

Bolly-Quin (IP Logged)
14 November, 2017 17:08
It would appear that the Quinsí doctors are as overworked as those in the NHS!

In some cases, it must be that they donít know how long certain players will be out for. The increased attention and care for those concussed along with the new guidelines on how they should recuperate may prolong their absence, but with varying degrees of uncertainty.

Or, itís a conspiracy to keep us uninformed, all planned by the director of SMERSH, Ellis, and his loyal henchman, J of K...

T-Bone (IP Logged)
14 November, 2017 17:19
Quote:
Bolly-Quin
It would appear that the Quinsí doctors are as overworked as those in the NHS!
In some cases, it must be that they donít know how long certain players will be out for. The increased attention and care for those concussed along with the new guidelines on how they should recuperate may prolong their absence, but with varying degrees of uncertainty.

Or, itís a conspiracy to keep us uninformed, all planned by the director of SMERSH, Ellis, and his loyal henchman, J of K...

In which case the update could just be "so and so is recovering from such and such, and due to the nature of the injury no accurate timescale can be given on their return and a further update will follow in due course".

No-one is saying it's a conspiracy, just poor communication or bizarre insistence on sticking to a belief that updates help the opposition

Quinten Poulsen (IP Logged)
14 November, 2017 17:33
Why is it a bizarre insistence? If Mark Evans thought it was a bona fide reason is that not good enough?

Nev's Left Boot (IP Logged)
14 November, 2017 18:32
Each week the club announce a team, it's usually on Fridays - I always find this is a helpful way of knowing who is playing.
Often they include updates on players welfare as well.

For some players, they don't actually know when they are going to be back. There are many incidents in the past, where players are given rest and treatment to see how the injury goes, alot of the players will play on with injuries. The club are also under pressure to keep players playing when they are not fully fit, due to the absentees.

Personally, I quite like guessing at who will be in the team and who is fit.

Quins4life (IP Logged)
14 November, 2017 21:38
Quote:
Cookie
We weren't talking about Smith.
Morris announced his on Instagram and Saili said he was going home for 2 weeks also on Instagram which meant he was effectively going to be unavailable for 3 weeks, longer than we would have hoped.

Finding out by accident isn't the point. The point is it's pretty much the only way we can find out details.

Traditions can be changed, especially when they're not very good ones.

I wish I had the kind of laissez faire attitude that I could just hope for the best on Fridays at midday. Sadly, I'm a little more agitated about where are players are than that.

Saili was at the Anglo Welsh game on Sunday and said he hoped to be fit for Exeter, if not for Bath the following week

olipool (IP Logged)
14 November, 2017 22:05
Long time reader, first time poster... Not sure that it is much of an argument to say that Mark Evans thought that issuing injury updates was a bad thing and therefore it's bad. Particularly when you look at what the other clubs do. For example Bath - every Tuesday during the season without fail Dan Evans' article in the Bath Chronicle gives an update on every injury in the squad. Or Gloucester who do the same in the Post. Ditto Worcester Warriors, whon always have an update out each week and very occasionally use it to sell the oppo a dummy (one week this season Gary Gold said it would be a close call between Olver and Shillcock at 10, only for Ryan Mills to appear on the team sheet Friday. He wouldn't have had the opportunity to get that minor advantage if he'd been DoR at Quins!).
Northampton also issue a weekly update to the local press, as do wasps. Sale and Newcastle don't as the local papers have bigger fish to fry, much to their supporters' annoyance, Sarries don't, Exeter don't much, nor do Irish. But it only seems to be Quins who never do. It's actually quite hard to find out about Quins in the press - is that perhaps because their comms with local press isn't great? As a neutral who is interested in the game generally, that seems to me like a failure of PR. Shouldn't Quins be trying to promote themselves a bit better?

14 November, 2017 23:22
Quote:
is that perhaps because their comms with local press isn't great?

More likely that the local press couldn't give a toss and barely ever write about Quins.

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
14 November, 2017 23:29
Quote:
SiBolton

Tradition. huh!.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 15/11/2017 08:11 by DOK.

Dogger_ (IP Logged)
14 November, 2017 23:32
I agree that it is annoying not to be updated regarding who is short, medium or long term injured. As has been noted, Iím sure we could use this as a basis for mis-information on occasion if competitive threat was indeed genuinely an issue.

Personally I also find it frustrating that the ďcurrent playersĒ section of the offie is not up to date.

As an aside, why is Adam Jones still being shown as a member of the playing squad, both on the website and in the matchday programmes? He has been in the coaching squad / a waterboy for ages and is clearly not match fit and does not intend to be. I guess there is probably a logistical explanation for this?

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
14 November, 2017 23:35
Quote:
Quinten Poulsen
Why is it a bizarre insistence? If Mark Evans thought it was a bona fide reason is that not good enough?

Its bizarre because it doesnt stand up to scrutiny. If it were such a jealously protected secret the players would be sworn off social media and chats with supporters. They dont need to say so and so will be back for saints, they just need to say sometime over the next 2 or 3 weeks, January etc. If anything it would be more useful as it would keep the opposition guessing.

15 November, 2017 03:09
I'm sure even Mark Evans would have conceded it's a small thing, in the same category as SCW's 1%s or Al Pacino's inches. But I like to think Mark Evans knew what he was talking about so his words against your scrutiny... hmmm, only one winner I'm afraid.

SiBolton (IP Logged)
15 November, 2017 06:59
Quote:
RodneyRegis
Quote:
SiBolton

Tradition. Ffs.

What word would you use then RR, as DOK posted, Evans did the same, and Conor did the same, would habit be better? I doubt itís club policy

le tiss (IP Logged)
15 November, 2017 08:17
It is standard practice in most sports to keep people updated on the injury situation. If the great and the good at Harlequins think they are gaining some sort of advantage by ignoring the subject and keeping their fans in the dark, all I can say is it isn't exactly working is it. All it does is alienate us. I would be interested to know when this current crisis will abate a little, but some on here seem to be happy having their heads shoved in the sand.

Bolly-Quin (IP Logged)
15 November, 2017 08:39
Evidently, it alienates some, but not others.

The team on a weekend is what it is, weakened or not - whatís the point in harping on and on about who isnít in the teamsheet or injury list at the end of the day?

Injured, rotated, dropped: they can be what you want them to be - just make it up as you go - thatís pretty popular on here!

blucherquin (IP Logged)
15 November, 2017 08:55
Quote:
Bolly-Quin
The team on a weekend is what it is, weakened or not - whatís the point in harping on and on about who isnít in the teamsheet or injury list at the end of the day?

Injured, rotated, dropped: they can be what you want them to be - just make it up as you go - thatís pretty popular on here!

If there was no point in harping on about anything, this board wouldn't exist.

Cookie (IP Logged)
15 November, 2017 09:28
So, in summary:

We rarely do injury updates, but then we never did, so it's a tradition/habit that we needn't change. And the oracle that is Mark Evans started the radio silence, so therefore it's the right thing to do.

Most of the other clubs do a weekly report and/or add commentary to their team announcements, but we're not them and the local press don't care about us (can't be vice versa), so there.

A lot of us care, but we shouldn't and should blindly turn up and hope for the best every week having seen the team at midday on Friday. Speculating on selection decisions and the injury status of missing players is to be discouraged.

Meanwhile, it's the responsibility of those fans who are interested in injury updates to ask every player or coach they see and follow all players' social media channels to garner a semblance of information.

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
15 November, 2017 09:49
Quote:
Cookie

A lot of us care, but we shouldn't and should blindly turn up and hope for the best every week having seen the team at midday on Friday.

Are you saying that who is selected or even available may affect your decision whether to turn up for a game?

Cookie (IP Logged)
15 November, 2017 09:59
Quote:
Quinky Kin
Quote:
Cookie

A lot of us care, but we shouldn't and should blindly turn up and hope for the best every week having seen the team at midday on Friday.

Are you saying that who is selected or even available may affect your decision whether to turn up for a game?

Nope. Not sure how you came to that conclusion. Going to Exeter (probably get hammered) and Ulster (probably already effectively out of the CC), so couldn't be further from the truth.

Bolly-Quin (IP Logged)
15 November, 2017 10:22
Ummm.

Quote:
Cookie
We rarely do injury updates, but then we never did, so it's a tradition/habit that we needn't change. And the oracle that is Mark Evans started the radio silence, so therefore it's the right thing to do.
Cant really argue with this, but ME did do a lot to get this club back on its feet and is recognised as one of the best sports directors around.

Quote:
Cookie
Most of the other clubs do a weekly report and/or add commentary to their team announcements, but we're not them and the local press don't care about us (can't be vice versa), so there.
The text to which you refer plainly says 6 clubs don't (including Quins), so half frequently don't, if at all, talk about injuries - 5 clubs do: so no, not most.

Quote:
Cookie
A lot of us care, but we shouldn't and should blindly turn up and hope for the best every week having seen the team at midday on Friday. Speculating on selection decisions and the injury status of missing players is to be discouraged.
A lot? 5 or 6 on this thread. Who told you not to care or speculate? No one - just that there is little to be gained by constant harping about no injury list being published (other than akb1's) - just another stick to beat the club with.

Quote:
Cookie
Meanwhile, it's the responsibility of those fans who are interested in injury updates to ask every player or coach they see and follow all players' social media channels to garner a semblance of information.
And many thanks to akb1 and others (Arniepie has a hotline to someone), for collating this, but I suspect that the majority of Quins fans are happy with akb1's and what updates the club do publicise.

OT - DOK: are you at liberty to reveal how many active/inactive CAW users there are?

DOK (IP Logged)
15 November, 2017 11:10
I have no access to how many users in total are signed up with ComeAllWithin. People who just read the site don't need to log in of course and are pretty untrackable.

I guess if you pick a thread no-one is going to read twice but everyone will read, you could get an idea of activity from the number of views. My thread "Eddie Jones on Mike Brown" for example got nearly 650 views, even though no-one replied to it. Can't see people returning to view it over and over.

15 November, 2017 11:11
Just so I'm clear, can people please list the things that we're allowed to discuss even remotely negatively about the club without it being described as 'another stick to beat the club with'.

Because I think that's becoming the most overused and irritating phrase on the entire board. And that's including Quinky's puns.

DOK (IP Logged)
15 November, 2017 11:13
It's working then! smiling smiley

le tiss (IP Logged)
15 November, 2017 11:16
Quote:
Bolly-Quin

Of course the team will be what it will be. The pointy is some of us are genuinely interested in the potential for a stronger side at some point in the future. Its kind of the same as being interested in who we might or might not be signing.

If some people really don't care then that's obviously up to them. I suspect more people do care versus don't care, but I could be wrong.

Maybe people have just got used to being ignored?

DOK (IP Logged)
15 November, 2017 11:31
As I said, the club used to be more tight lipped about injuries than it currently is. I wasn't saying Mark Evans was right, more that it might explain why we've never been that forthcoming about who is back when from injury.

I suspect the majority of people who come and watch don't really care. They come for a good day out, see the team they support play and hopefully win, but they probably don't agonise why the club has never made an announcement about the injury sustained by a particular player.

Cookie (IP Logged)
15 November, 2017 11:36
All I know is that of my group of around 10 Quins fans that I regularly drink and go to games with, this is one of our biggest gripes whilst also being the easiest to fix.

15 November, 2017 11:41
Quote:
DOK

I'm going to interpret that as a joke rather than expressing support for alienating anyone with a different opinion.

Bolly-Quin (IP Logged)
15 November, 2017 12:29
Quote:
talkshowhost86
Just so I'm clear, can people please list the things that we're allowed to discuss even remotely negatively about the club without it being described as 'another stick to beat the club with'.
Because I think that's becoming the most overused and irritating phrase on the entire board. And that's including Quinky's puns.

You/others are "allowed" to discuss what you like (and no-one has told you otherwise, except one poster: "Please stop this"), but don't expect others that have a different view to sit back and not reply on issues such as injury lists, new baby-eating locks or which coaches/players should or shouldn't be at the club! Its not the "Quinish" Inquisition - just debate.

15 November, 2017 12:38
Quote:
Bolly-Quin
Quote:
talkshowhost86

You/others are "allowed" to discuss what you like (and no-one has told you otherwise, except one poster: "Please stop this"), but don't expect others that have a different view to sit back and not reply on issues such as injury lists, new baby-eating locks or which coaches/players should or shouldn't be at the club! Its not the "Quinish" Inquisition - just debate.

That's exactly my point.

I'm more than happy to debate any of it with anyone on here.

But there is a very lazy 'argument' from many on here at the moment that any criticism of the club is 'just another stick to beat the club with' rather than actually debating the points.

Seems to suggest that people only bring up negative points because all they want to do is criticise. It's incredibly irritating because most people who criticise do so because they love the club and want to see it do better.

So the 'any stick' line is just boring and often seems to point to the fact that people don't really have much of a come back.

Scaramouche (IP Logged)
15 November, 2017 12:57
Quote:
talkshowhost86
Quote:
DOK

I'm going to interpret that as a joke rather than expressing support for alienating anyone with a different opinion.

Stik Il DoK

T-Bone (IP Logged)
15 November, 2017 14:25
Quote:
talkshowhost86
Quote:
Bolly-Quin
Quote:
talkshowhost86

That's exactly my point.

I'm more than happy to debate any of it with anyone on here.

But there is a very lazy 'argument' from many on here at the moment that any criticism of the club is 'just another stick to beat the club with' rather than actually debating the points.

Seems to suggest that people only bring up negative points because all they want to do is criticise. It's incredibly irritating because most people who criticise do so because they love the club and want to see it do better.

So the 'any stick' line is just boring and often seems to point to the fact that people don't really have much of a come back.

This. Precisely. Lumping those supporters who offer support and praise but also, when they feel it is merited, constructive criticism, in with the obvious "JK out" trolls who appear under a variety of different names is pretty pathetic really. In fact to my mind those posters appear as tedious as the JK out trolls.

Bolly-Quin (IP Logged)
15 November, 2017 15:46
I didn't. Whatever...

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
15 November, 2017 16:08
Quote:
talkshowhost86

I've never been good at accepting praise, but thank you. It means a lot.

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
15 November, 2017 15:56
Quote:
SiBolton
Quote:
RodneyRegis
Quote:
SiBolton

Tradition. Ffs.

What word would you use then RR, as DOK posted, Evans did the same, and Conor did the same, would habit be better? I doubt itís club policy

It's not a tradition. JK periodically does an injury update video. So the tired old line about giving opponenets an advantage obviously isn't bought into by management. The point is, if you're going to do it, why not do it regularly?

T-Bone (IP Logged)
15 November, 2017 16:46
Quote:
Bolly-Quin
I didn't. Whatever...

I wasn't really meaning you Bolly, just generally

Bolly-Quin (IP Logged)
15 November, 2017 17:40
Quote:
T-Bone
Quote:
Bolly-Quin
I didn't. Whatever...

I wasn't really meaning you Bolly, just generally

No worries - I think we all tire of some topics/discussions - one of the reason some of us resort to punting (Sm100) the ball upfield a bit...

QuinAlan (IP Logged)
15 November, 2017 18:09
Perhaps John Kingston really does want to give us a regular injury update? Earlier in the season there were a couple of very welcome videos, but the sheer injury numbers at the moment mean that his time is fully taken up dealing with so much other stuff, & the injury update itself would need so much time to prepare, & the video would require feature film length to fully explain all current situations. Therefore he deems it as something that can wait until the situation becomes more normal (I wonder if that will ever be the case?).

blucherquin (IP Logged)
15 November, 2017 20:47
You can take your stick to beat the club with and...

Iím not a quins hater and still want JK as manager until itís clear if we are actually any better or worse than under O Shea.

In the end we can either talk about injuries or not. But weíre doing both - and itís a PR failure.

If you donít want to announce it - then donít - and therefore you need to stop players giving their own social media injury updates. Kingston told the Sfandard that the Cat is out until next year - the club never put out a similar statement. So people who donít care were more informed than people who do.

Itís amateurish and rubbish.

Either control your public messaging or donít.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 15/11/2017 21:59 by blucherquin.

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
15 November, 2017 21:25
Quote:
QuinAlan
Perhaps John Kingston really does want to give us a regular injury update? Earlier in the season there were a couple of very welcome videos, but the sheer injury numbers at the moment mean that his time is fully taken up dealing with so much other stuff, & the injury update itself would need so much time to prepare, & the video would require feature film length to fully explain all current situations. Therefore he deems it as something that can wait until the situation becomes more normal (I wonder if that will ever be the case?).

I really think you're massively over-estimating the effort required to make a video going through the injured players and when they are expected back. Even if it were the whole squad it would take 5 minutes.

15 November, 2017 21:55
Has anyone emailed the club to protest, or are feelings not that strong?

blucherquin (IP Logged)
15 November, 2017 22:01
Quote:
RodneyRegis
Quote:
QuinAlan

I really think you're massively over-estimating the effort required to make a video going through the injured players and when they are expected back. Even if it were the whole squad it would take 5 minutes.

Yes quite - one iPhone - 5 mins - publish. Done.

Scaramouche (IP Logged)
16 November, 2017 02:23
I'd be a tad worried if da management could not give chapter and verse on the state of injured players tbh.

Cookie (IP Logged)
16 November, 2017 09:17
Quote:
Quinten Poulsen

I specifically raised it in my meeting with David Ellis and got told 'we do it'. I reaffirmed that we didn't and that the only one JK had done was because someone was stood in a queue with him somewhere and asked him why we didn't and miraculously there was one the following week (I think that story came from here).

I gave him examples of players who we had no idea of their status for weeks on end (e.g. Mark Reddish) and got no discernible explanation or resolution to improve it.

He also mentioned the 'not giving the oppo an advantage' line, which I think is absolute tosh.

On a sidenote, the social media side of things seems to have improved lately (anyone see that great video of getting through the week using Charlie Walker's try?), so maybe this will become part of that. Here's hoping.

T-Bone (IP Logged)
16 November, 2017 13:54
Quote:
Cookie
Quote:
Quinten Poulsen

I specifically raised it in my meeting with David Ellis and got told 'we do it'. I reaffirmed that we didn't and that the only one JK had done was because someone was stood in a queue with him somewhere and asked him why we didn't and miraculously there was one the following week (I think that story came from here).

I gave him examples of players who we had no idea of their status for weeks on end (e.g. Mark Reddish) and got no discernible explanation or resolution to improve it.

He also mentioned the 'not giving the oppo an advantage' line, which I think is absolute tosh.

On a sidenote, the social media side of things seems to have improved lately (anyone see that great video of getting through the week using Charlie Walker's try?), so maybe this will become part of that. Here's hoping.

The social media offering has certainly improved. I'm enjoying the highlights they're putting out, and the past big game teams

Jobs (IP Logged)
16 November, 2017 17:02
Well, I for one am not that bothered that we do not get regular injury updates.. what is the fascination in knowing who will not be playing come the weekend, more fun to see who we have put out... JK does not report to me, so I am not expecting him to fill me in, in everything that he is doing during the week, if come the end of the season and he has not performed then I would expect changes, he does not need half a dozen supporters trying to tell him, that he needs to do this and that, I think he has enough on his plate trying to manage the injuries and getting a team on the pitch, than updating a couple of unhappy supporters who think they are being treated very badly by the big bad man for not telling them about his poorly players..

Oh well, less than 24hts and we should know who is fit enough to play this weekend

COYQ

Cookie (IP Logged)
16 November, 2017 17:16
Quote:
Jobs
Well, I for one am not that bothered that we do not get regular injury updates.. what is the fascination in knowing who will not be playing come the weekend, more fun to see who we have put out... JK does not report to me, so I am not expecting him to fill me in, in everything that he is doing during the week, if come the end of the season and he has not performed then I would expect changes, he does not need half a dozen supporters trying to tell him, that he needs to do this and that, I think he has enough on his plate trying to manage the injuries and getting a team on the pitch, than updating a couple of unhappy supporters who think they are being treated very badly by the big bad man for not telling them about his poorly players..
Oh well, less than 24hts and we should know who is fit enough to play this weekend

COYQ

Why are you making this about JK? This is about the club comms, not him. It doesn't even need to be him who gives updates. The physio team could draft something that he just needs to check over (doesn't even need to be a video, can just be an email/social media post).

It's got absolutely nothing to do with his performance or him personally.

And I think we've established it's far from a minority that would like to know a bit more information in the same way as we are interested in players being signed/released etc.

Oh, and no need for the childish comments either.

Fearless Fred (IP Logged)
16 November, 2017 17:21
James Horwill just retweeted a small video clip from a conditioning coach showiung him, Collier & Clifford all working on upper body flexibility. It involves rotation of the shoulder, and the clip shows Clifford stretching his left shoulder without any issue. Here's a link.

For those not wanting to go to Twitter, here's the text of the tweet:

Quote:
Richard Tidmarsh
Big Match Prep 🙌 @JHorwill @William_Collier & @jackclifford93 in with me for regeneration & recovery work before @Harlequins vs Exeter in Premiership this weekend #Rugby #NinjaClub

Jobs (IP Logged)
16 November, 2017 17:28
Quote:
Cookie
Quote:
Jobs

COYQ

Why are you making this about JK? This is about the club comms, not him. It doesn't even need to be him who gives updates. The physio team could draft something that he just needs to check over (doesn't even need to be a video, can just be an email/social media post).

And I think we've established it's far from a minority that would like to know a bit more information in the same way as we are interested in players being signed/released etc.

I have read this thread, and it is a minority..

Oh,I am really sorry if my childish comments upset you... there there

Fearless Fred (IP Logged)
16 November, 2017 18:39
Latest from Bothma:

Quote:
@renaldobothma
Cant wait to make my return in 2 weeks time! Finally got the clear from the doctor! Its been a long time!! 🏈

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
16 November, 2017 18:56
Well, there goes our advantage over Sarries.

blucherquin (IP Logged)
16 November, 2017 19:08
Quote:
Fearless Fred
Latest from Bothma:
Quote:
@renaldobothma
Cant wait to make my return in 2 weeks time! Finally got the clear from the doctor! Its been a long time!! 🏈

And there we are......exactly what Iím talking about

Cookie (IP Logged)
17 November, 2017 06:40
Quote:
Jobs
Quote:
Cookie
Quote:
Jobs

COYQ

I have read this thread, and it is a minority..

Oh,I am really sorry if my childish comments upset you... there there

I beg to differ here and in my personal experience as I've explained. The fact there are now 71 comments on the thread would suggest in itself that it's more contentious than you suggest.

Also saw the Bothma tweet and facepalmed!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 17/11/2017 06:41 by Cookie.

Bolly-Quin (IP Logged)
17 November, 2017 08:06
Quote:
Cookie
The fact there are now 71 comments on the thread would suggest in itself that it's more contentious than you suggest.
Also saw the Bothma tweet and facepalmed!

What does ďfacepalmedĒ mean?

Of those 71, how many suppprt your POV? How many are by the same people?

While Iíd admit to be not bothered by this, it surely falls under the ďnice to knowĒ category, rather than it being an obligatory function of the club.

Cookie (IP Logged)
17 November, 2017 08:20
Facepalming involves throwing ones head into ones hands, in this case from finding another piece of injury information on a players' social media channel.

Frankly, I'm not that fussed if I'm in a minority here and how small or big that minority is (if that's the case). As I've said before, amongst my group of 'real life' friends, this is one of our biggest bugbears. And we're unanimous in thinking it's handled badly.

That said, I'm sure plenty of those 'not bothered' have asked players when they'll be back from their injury........

Bolly-Quin (IP Logged)
17 November, 2017 09:22
Quote:
Cookie
That said, I'm sure plenty of those 'not bothered' have asked players when they'll be back from their injury........

Yup, definitely - fans might well identify with a player playing the same position as they do/did/wanted to- and "follow" them.

It would be easy for the club to adopt a position on this, but they don't seem to want to, as regularly as some would like.

Scaramouche (IP Logged)
17 November, 2017 14:31
I agree with Cookie. Injury news is part of the whole process of making fans feel like an integral part of the Club. We're talking. Are they listening? Everybody ping an email/tweet/FB/whatever and lets see what happens?

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net