rugbyunion
Latest News:

Quinssa WebsiteQuins News from News NowQuins Official Site

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Re: Harlequins long term vision for Twickenham Stoop
QuinAlan (IP Logged)
24 November, 2017 17:18
Three things which stood out for me......

"our purpose is not just about the rugby, but about the wider community"

The word "concept" used three times.

"we have now reached the point where we HAVE to co-create a new, state-of-the-art Stadium, with accessible to all facilities" (poor grammar).

Hmmm.......

What is Ellis on..????

SiBolton (IP Logged)
24 November, 2017 18:11
So if we increase the capacity and also get more cash in
Thatís a bad thing?

Yep itís done Wasps loads of harm getting more cash flow

Communication could have been better but a5 least the club has aspirations to grow and get more cash in

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 24/11/2017 18:17 by SiBolton.

seequin (IP Logged)
24 November, 2017 18:11
Kempton is for sale

Just saying..

Brown Bottle (IP Logged)
24 November, 2017 18:40
Quote:
I'm very pleased they have dropped the "Twickenham" nonsense.

Mmm...that made me wonder if a move was afoot - similar to when Sale Sharks were renamed Sharks and Wasps dropped the London.

BB

HarleyQuinn (IP Logged)
24 November, 2017 18:54
Quote:
QuinAlan

"we have now reached the point where we HAVE to co-create a new, state-of-the-art Stadium, with accessible to all facilities" (poor grammar)

As a disabled person I know exactly what this means.

ďAccessible to All facilitiesĒ is disabled friendly.

All facilities accessible means anyone (like schools clubs) could use them.

HarleyQuinn (IP Logged)
24 November, 2017 18:57
Quote:
Quinten Poulsen
Quote:
Also, is HarleyQuinn Ellis or a Populous employee?

Or someone who just reads in disbelief the cack that some people come out with.

Wow. So not agreeing with you makes me David Ellis. Joker!

Afraid not. And nor am I an architect. Although I draw a mean stick man!

HonkyTonk (IP Logged)
24 November, 2017 19:06
Can you draw the house, with the cross in the middle, without lifting you pen off the paper or going back over a line???

HarleyQuinn (IP Logged)
24 November, 2017 19:36
Now youíre showing off!

QuinAlan (IP Logged)
24 November, 2017 20:10
Tend to agree fully with Rodney Regis here. Surely as he argues, building a new North stand & filling in the corners would increase the capacity substantially? Does the fantasy of ripping down the current stadium & rebuilding it represent sound investment, considering the huge construction cost? Think I prefer the sound of being a Rugby club with plans to develop rather than a development company with a Rugby club in the way. Doesnt make an awful lot of sense to me. Also I rather like the novel idea of playing on a grass pitch! More evidence of Ellis & the corporates taking the club away from ordinary members & fans if you ask me.

HonkyTonk (IP Logged)
24 November, 2017 20:30
Not saying I disagree but, I doubt this is just about a bigger capacity. It will be about increased revenue from a number of new avenues (maybe retail, corporate etc). Whether that money then leads us to being more competitive on the pitch who knows.

Dark Pies (IP Logged)
24 November, 2017 21:05
I love the idea of a 25k more modern stadium with hybrid pitch, nicer bars and more (not flooded) toilets. Sounds awesome. Maybe it could have a monorail to the train station and seats with pint-glass holders that give you a vibromassage?

Like other posters i'm sceptical. All the behaviour and actions over the last few years imply we don't have big pots of cash, or at least a backer willing to risk big money on the club.

The Ricoh stadium complex apparently cost 113 million quid to build. (Wikipedia)

I read this odd Ellis letter as simply the first round of softening up the fan base to accept a move to somewhere else. I just don't think the location rings true as a viable placed for a snazzy stadium/venue - 15mins walk from the train, terrible traffic issues, surrounded on all sides by expensive SW London housing and planning issues. And 800m from a massive venue/hotel complex.

It would however be a great place to put up some more flats and starter homes.

First its "we're going to come up with an amazing vision and persuade the locals."

Then in a year it will be "there are some headwinds and the local council and residents will only let us build an 18k capacity ground with a permanent running track around the pitch, plastic grass, no car parking, no music events and no saturday/sunday games. And no drinking after 7.45pm on a friday because noise"

Then the year after that it will be "after extensive consultation we are extremely disappointed that local residents and council have rejected proposals for Superstoop and put us in a position where Harlequins cannot continue as a viable business in Twickenham. We are seeking additional investment and looking at our options."

So come 2020 we'll be out in some backwater industrial state location as the diggers roll in to build houses, not a stadium.

Sorry to be cynical but i just can't see a business plan that makes sense in any other context! We are a tiny business talking about spending more money than probably the entire 150years budget of Quins combined. No chance.

blucherquin (IP Logged)
24 November, 2017 21:13
Quote:
HarleyQuinn
Do none of you understand they actually canít state much at the moment because of seeking planning permission?
Where does it say we are moving?
It talks about longterm vision.

Do you think any business would want to leave London? Wasps only left because they didnít have a home and they still only exist due to an owner ploughing in money - they are not sustainable.

Ellis came from a property background. This was always the long term plan. They have hired the best planners in the UK who have done all the football stadiums. Who will give us the best stadium. They brought in the Team GB Comms guy. Who probably gave the Times what they know. They have put all the ducks in a row.

You all moan about no big names. But if a business has been at 98% capacity for the last 10 years, how can it increase profits? Something had to change.

I canít believe how negative so called fans are on here!

The ďteam GB comms guyĒ is maternity cover. He wasnít head of Team GB comms.

blucherquin (IP Logged)
24 November, 2017 21:16
Quote:
TheGP
We struggle to fill the stadium now. Hope ticket prices stay reasonable

We have nearly 10k season ticket holders in a 14k capacity stadium - so we really donít struggle.

jonf (IP Logged)
24 November, 2017 21:36
My thoughts are this feels like Ellis spin. The Ďnew Stoopí sounds like sell what we have and move to somewhere near his house. Until he comes out and says the ground is not moving and he has no plans to sell the soul of this club then I still fear he is looking short term and wants to sell the place. I have no idea why he appears to be hiding his plans unless he knows it is not what the supporters want to hear.

Dinsdale (IP Logged)
24 November, 2017 22:13
Quote:
QuinGeorgeVII
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/sport/harlequins-to-rebuild-twickenham-stoop-with-25-000-capacity-wgbpgqb3c

"Multisport" That can push right off for a start

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 25/11/2017 10:13 by DOK.

HarleyQuinn (IP Logged)
24 November, 2017 22:45
Thatís what you pick out of that? Wow.

Snowman (IP Logged)
24 November, 2017 23:01
Back to the plastic pitch thing and the effect on players
American football did a study about 15 years ago which IIRC showed that players who had home pitches with artificial turf had playing careers 3-4 years shorter than those with grass home pitches
The implications for player health and well-being were clear
Yes I know that artificial pitches have come on a long way
Instead of near concrete underlay we now have carcinogenic rubber pellets (allegedly)
So which is more important - revenue streams or player welfare?

QuickerQuin (IP Logged)
25 November, 2017 06:51
Could we do a ground share with Saracens?

blucherquin (IP Logged)
25 November, 2017 07:14
Quote:
jonf
My thoughts are this feels like Ellis spin. The Ďnew Stoopí sounds like sell what we have and move to somewhere near his house. Until he comes out and says the ground is not moving and he has no plans to sell the soul of this club then I still fear he is looking short term and wants to sell the place. I have no idea why he appears to be hiding his plans unless he knows it is not what the supporters want to hear.

Bizarre

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
25 November, 2017 08:01
Quote:
SiBolton
Thatís a bad thing?

Communication could have been better but a5 least the club has aspirations to grow and get more cash in

Yes, wasps are a great comparison with which to suggest the fans have nothing to worry about.

SiBolton (IP Logged)
25 November, 2017 09:08
Quote:
RodneyRegis
Quote:
SiBolton
Thatís a bad thing?

Yes, wasps are a great comparison with which to suggest the fans have nothing to worry about.

Touchť RR, yep the fans got well and truly done, but I donít read anywhere that we are moving
DE in his talk about this based it all on the Stoop, and as said more than once itís our home
But you have to agree since Wasps have brought more money in the team has improved,or maybe you donít?

MrOther (IP Logged)
25 November, 2017 09:55
Quote:
QuinAlan
Think I prefer the sound of being a Rugby club with plans to develop rather than a development company with a Rugby club in the way. Doesnt make an awful lot of sense to me.

Me too, just as I prefer the sound of a Bentley Continental to that of a Peugeot 205, and yet Iím still left driving the Peugeot.

ďDoesnít make an awful lot of sense to meĒ that I donít own a Bentley, but I have had to observe that itís true.

:-)

MrOther (IP Logged)
25 November, 2017 09:58
Quote:
Dark Pies
I love the idea of a 25k more modern stadium with hybrid pitch, nicer bars and more (not flooded) toilets. Sounds awesome. Maybe it could have a monorail to the train station and seats with pint-glass holders that give you a vibromassage?
Like other posters i'm sceptical. All the behaviour and actions over the last few years imply we don't have big pots of cash, or at least a backer willing to risk big money on the club.

The Ricoh stadium complex apparently cost 113 million quid to build. (Wikipedia)

I read this odd Ellis letter as simply the first round of softening up the fan base to accept a move to somewhere else. I just don't think the location rings true as a viable placed for a snazzy stadium/venue - 15mins walk from the train, terrible traffic issues, surrounded on all sides by expensive SW London housing and planning issues. And 800m from a massive venue/hotel complex.

It would however be a great place to put up some more flats and starter homes.

First its "we're going to come up with an amazing vision and persuade the locals."

Then in a year it will be "there are some headwinds and the local council and residents will only let us build an 18k capacity ground with a permanent running track around the pitch, plastic grass, no car parking, no music events and no saturday/sunday games. And no drinking after 7.45pm on a friday because noise"

Then the year after that it will be "after extensive consultation we are extremely disappointed that local residents and council have rejected proposals for Superstoop and put us in a position where Harlequins cannot continue as a viable business in Twickenham. We are seeking additional investment and looking at our options."

So come 2020 we'll be out in some backwater industrial state location as the diggers roll in to build houses, not a stadium.

Sorry to be cynical but i just can't see a business plan that makes sense in any other context! We are a tiny business talking about spending more money than probably the entire 150years budget of Quins combined. No chance.

Hell, thatís a frighteningly plausible pre-write of our future history.

DOK (IP Logged)
25 November, 2017 10:16
I can see it makes sense to try and sweat the asset. Wasps have the Ricoh generating income all year round. If we could use the Stoop for other things than rugby, then any income from that would be a bonus. Not sure I can really see what sort of revenue stream you could build, maybe a few summer concerts, not sure what else.

HonkyTonk (IP Logged)
25 November, 2017 10:35
Thinking about other sports -

Football - 25k would certainly be big enough for most sides but I cannot see any sides out there who may be looking for a ground to share anytime soon

Rugby League - Maybe the club are thinking of starting up a RL side. I know it was tried (and failed before) but that is quite different. The London Broncos were an existing club that was only really Quins in name, nothing else. I actually began following them (and still do). Just because they have bombed and now find themselves in the second tier playing at Ealing in front of a few hundred does not mean RL in London would be doomed to fail. David Hughes, the owner has spent alot of money on the Broncos but the club has been poorly managed for a long time off the field. No marketing etc. It is expected that RL will soon be doing away with Promotion/Relegation and going back to a franchise system. Catalan Dragons are currently in SL but no there is also Toulouse in the Championship, also Toronto
who were promoted this season. New York are getting a Team in 2019 and Hamilton in Canada also. The are also muttering that Wasps are going to be bidding for a place (to go with the newly formed Netball side). If done properly (which is where Hughes has failed) a London side could be a big hit.

Athletics - I would hate this, as a West Ham fan I already have to suffer one running track, not another please.

Cant really think of anything else

QuinAlan (IP Logged)
25 November, 2017 14:19
I honestly think that Mark Evans tried everything he could to make RL work in London. It doesnt. The RL side had crowds of 2000-3000. Thats pathetic. Even if you had a better team, cant see how that team would suddenly fill a 25000 seater stadium? Athletics is too irregular to ever offer a revenue stream surely? Hockey? Womens football? American football? Cycle track? Even if these were viable, wouldnt we be competing with the new Brentford stadium? Nothing makes any sense here except selling the land & moving elsewhere.

HonkyTonk (IP Logged)
25 November, 2017 14:26
I believe RL could work. As said before, Broncos have no one to blame but themselves, terribly run club that killed itself. The one thing they do have is an excellent youth set up, with quite a few players now in SL (playing up north unfortunately). If it was done right it could flourish.

But anyway, going OT now. I'm sure the club must know what sports they have in mind.

Mayor West (IP Logged)
25 November, 2017 16:03
I got the email and found all the office/corporate speak hard to understand. For me it sounded like the stadium would be enlarged. We already know about the south stand and the possible increase of the north. We must do more to involve the local community and increase our profits. The language used has confused everybody as the rest of the thread has proved. Can we have a new version with plain English and to the point speak please.

Dibden (IP Logged)
25 November, 2017 16:10
I am a simple man.None of this proposal is aimed at improving performance of the rugby.So resources of management and money will be diverted into property development .Given the purpose of the club is to excel at rugby(I thought thatís the aim)the eye is being taken off the ball.
I get no sense that shareholders and top management are concerned about several years of mediocre performance on the field.

Scaramouche (IP Logged)
26 November, 2017 20:18
Our owners are a Property Developing Pension Fund. Long term it is Harlequins RFC that will exist to serve as a revenue stream for The Stoop inc and not the other way round.

Fact! smiling smiley

Illegitimi non carborundum

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 26/11/2017 20:19 by Scaramouche.

Kent Fan (IP Logged)
27 November, 2017 08:40
Are we sure that the money generated by the Wasps type model actually go into the playing squad / rugby club?

The Dark Pies projection of the next few years rings very true.

The evidence of penny pinching is - with retaining the existing tired coaching team, promoting JK despite a world wide search, limited recruitment to plug serious injury gaps a all this smacks of a tight hand on the business reins and not a club dedicated to rugby excellence.

Sell the valuable land space & relocate

27 November, 2017 14:25
To me this reads predominantly as the first salvo in the long planning battle ahead. It attempts (notwithstanding some dodgy grammar) to hit as many key positive planning points as poss, without mentioning the adverse impacts, and it does so pretty bullishly.

The phrase "work, play and live" is key, with with the live bit being crucial. A major stadium redevelopment cannot be affordable without a really chunky residential element for open market sale. Office space makes little or no money but is likely to be welcomed as part of the wider benefits, along with the community stuff.

The picture I get is of a business saying to Richmond we need a big stadium and to build/sell a lot of new homes to pay for it and, on the up side, you get to keep us, get some other community benefits and some employment space. That the statement isn't crystal clear that Harlequins FC will stay, whatever, just has to be because this is the loaded gun to hold at the head of the council if a viable scheme cannot be agreed.

What the scheme will finally look like, no-one can know right now, the process and forces at play will determine this.

Bolly-Quin (IP Logged)
27 November, 2017 14:45
Having helped save a cricket ground from developers in Surrey, my recollection is that the (Surrey) Council were particularly swayed by "dual use" - club and school use of the pitch. So Quins' discussions with schools and how to provide resource for them will be a big part of the discussion. That and help from the local MP...

Sketchley (IP Logged)
27 November, 2017 19:24
Had a very nice email from the club. 2 key points. No intention to move from the Stoop or the site. Communication wasn't to their timescale due to leak to media and club wanting to let supporters know first.

Makes sense.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 27/11/2017 19:26 by Sketchley.

D-Quins (IP Logged)
27 November, 2017 19:37
Having looked at google earth even with getting hold of the depot next door I can't see how the pitch can rotate 90 degrees unless we want no stands at the ends of the ground. The only option would be to take part of the park or take over the college site and build a huge new complex of houses and stadium. Just don't see how moving the pitch works.

Dark Pies (IP Logged)
27 November, 2017 22:14
Quote:
D-Quins
Having looked at google earth even with getting hold of the depot next door I can't see how the pitch can rotate 90 degrees unless we want no stands at the ends of the ground. The only option would be to take part of the park or take over the college site and build a huge new complex of houses and stadium. Just don't see how moving the pitch works.

Looking at Google I agree - those new flats behind the east stand really limit what you can do even if you move the pitch to where the depot/park is and rotate it. Then to the west and south you have the river and railway.

Maybe they're thinking to redevelop the college into a stadium/college complex?

blucherquin (IP Logged)
28 November, 2017 09:26
Quote:
Sketchley
Had a very nice email from the club. 2 key points. No intention to move from the Stoop or the site. Communication wasn't to their timescale due to leak to media and club wanting to let supporters know first.
Makes sense.

Don't worry -- all the conspiracy theories will ignore this post and carry on saying the original email means we're moving to somewhere off the M25.

jonf (IP Logged)
28 November, 2017 09:49
Why doesn't the club put a new statement out? why is their communication so poor - not just on this but on-going?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 28/11/2017 09:50 by jonf.

DOK (IP Logged)
28 November, 2017 09:55
Suspect the management speak document went to lots of other people who speak management. Then someone said"what about a public statement?" and they said "This one'll do!"

PeterboroughQuin (IP Logged)
28 November, 2017 11:51
Maybe they will knock the flats down

Fearless Fred (IP Logged)
28 November, 2017 12:59
Quote:
D-Quins

I've just done a quick test and the current stadium fits in the Depot area with room to spare:

https://image.ibb.co/m8DSnm/Screen_Shot_2017_11_28_at_13_22_21.png

That still has enough room to have a larger stand On the North side and East side of the "new" ground without impacting on the access to the flats from Craneford way.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 28/11/2017 16:38 by Fearless Fred.

Sketchley (IP Logged)
28 November, 2017 16:17
Quote:
blucherquin
Quote:
Sketchley
Makes sense.

Don't worry -- all the conspiracy theories will ignore this post and carry on saying the original email means we're moving to somewhere off the M25.

I guess so. It's not like there was an email address to ask questions in the original email from David that they could use so they don't have to speculate! That would spoil the fun wouldn't it?

Joking aside, Well done to Quins "Vision" team for responding to my very direct questions with direct answers.

Sketchley (IP Logged)
28 November, 2017 16:28
Quote:
Fearless Fred
Quote:
D-Quins

I've just done a quick test and the current stadium fits with room to spare in the Depot area with room to spare:

That still has enough room to have a larger stand On the North side and East side of the "new" ground without impacting on the access to the flats from Craneford way.

Well it clearly fits. Assuming the land is available the south stand could overhang the railway (with permission) which means pitch could move further south. Plenty of room then for wrap around on the other three sides with retail, hotel, conferencing. Then on existing site restore the running track and create an athletics ground maybe keep a stand, or just build houses / flats and cash in.

Mayor West (IP Logged)
28 November, 2017 17:06
At the risk of stating the bleeding obvious, why would you knock down a fairly new stadium and rebuild it next to itself when all you have to do is build the houses on the depot bit.
The north stand can be enlarged and corners filled in fairly cheaply. In fact the south stand which I believe has been given permanent status planning permission could be dismantled and used for the north. The new south could have bars and suchlike built into it like the east and west.

Scaramouche (IP Logged)
28 November, 2017 17:29
I repeat. HRFC exists only to be a (n important) revenue stream to support the future vision of The Stoop Property Development inc. It was always about a prime piece of SW London real estate and tolerate the rugby club for as long as it is neccessary. How often do we see Jillings et al at The Stoop?

Saintquin (IP Logged)
28 November, 2017 19:16
Quote:
Dark Pies

Not trying to pick an argument or necessairly disagreeing with you!

St Marys Stadium (Southampton FC) cost £32m with about the same capacity and built a little later if I remember correctly.

I know it's a different sport but the capacity of Southampton's old stadium was 15,000 so less then half of the new one and was pretty much sold out straight away!

At the turn of the century 3,000 was a good crowd at The Stoop 5,000 was huge. 10 years ago nobody thought you could get 50,60 70,000 let alone over 80,000 for a regular league match. I know that's only once a year but, it does happing. I'm sure they've done quite a bit of research and if you don't try you'll never know. But, like many I'm hoping they're (Ellis) not going into it with thier eyes shut and just for thier own egos'!

Harlequins, (was once) probably the best rugby club in the world!
(Sm115)(Sm115)(Sm115)

Dark Pies (IP Logged)
28 November, 2017 19:33
Quote:
Saintquin
St Marys Stadium (Southampton FC) cost £32m with about the same capacity and built a little later if I remember correctly.

Fair point. I don't know St Marys....from Google maps looks like its been built on a bit of industrial waste land next to a cement factory? What other facilities does it have?

My thinking was that Superstoop would be on a site with restricted access from West, South and East , with residents all around, in London, with 'extra facilities' to turn it into more than a rugby ground. That sounds more than 32m to me but it's not my expertise so equally it could be 10m or 500m!!!

Mayor West (IP Logged)
28 November, 2017 21:08
Did nobody read Sketchley's post.

Bolly-Quin (IP Logged)
28 November, 2017 22:15
Quote:
jonf
Why doesn't the club put a new statement out? why is their communication so poor - not just on this but on-going?

It's obvious, jonf - they don't like you! (Sm103)

never sleep (IP Logged)
30 November, 2017 11:07
I saw that the RFU earn £6.2 million in revenue from the Hotel in the South Stand and £3.7 million from the health & leisure facilities. I could understand it there is a hope tyo earn £10 million a year from these sort of activities.

Man from LA (IP Logged)
30 November, 2017 13:50
If the club have to play elsewhere during the building work they could always come and play the odd game at the Amex in Brighton. It has experience in hosting rugby (RWC 2015) and 90% of people I know who follow club rugby or who I see out and about wearing club colours in Sussex follow Quins. Add to that some of the players who hail from Sussex (Marler, Wallace, Matthews, Marcus Smith, the Chisholms, Twomey) could visit the local schools to give out some free tickets. It may not make much cash (if any) but they will have to play somewhere, and the club may attract new young fans and adults that only ever watch the 6 Nations and don't have a club side.

Rocker (IP Logged)
30 November, 2017 14:27
If we move I'd expect it to be in the Guildford area. Lots of the squad live in the area as we train there. The area is also very "Quins"

Stooperman (IP Logged)
30 November, 2017 15:15
Quote:
Rocker
If we move I'd expect it to be in the Guildford area. Lots of the squad live in the area as we train there. The area is also very "Quins"

Lubbly Jubbly - 10 minutes on the train...and the added bonus of hearing all the Twickenham smugs complaining about Friday night games (Sm128)

Rocker (IP Logged)
30 November, 2017 16:47
Yes, it would suit me too....

Wole (IP Logged)
30 November, 2017 17:06
Hypothetically, what would people like to see in a rebuilt/enlarged stadium in terms of design?

The Clermont stadium looks fantastic on TV, though I've never been there. I'd be keen on a sideline terrace, like Leicester & Northampton.

MrOther (IP Logged)
30 November, 2017 18:20
Quote:
Wole
Hypothetically, what would people like to see in a rebuilt/enlarged stadium in terms of design?
The Clermont stadium looks fantastic on TV, though I've never been there. I'd be keen on a sideline terrace, like Leicester & Northampton.

Filigree balustrades and a steam bath, please.

(Sorry, I don't work Fridays, so this already weekend for me. (Sm42) )

Fearless Fred (IP Logged)
30 November, 2017 18:37
Self-pour beer system for every seat!

Mayor West (IP Logged)
30 November, 2017 19:33
Fantastic idea to move to Brighton. Half a dozen players live that way so 12,000 people have to trek down there for a game. That's handy.

Cookie (IP Logged)
01 December, 2017 07:10
What am I missing here? Why does anyone think we'll move out of Twickenham? Is it just because we didn't say we're definitely staying in Twickenham?

Adi Nako (IP Logged)
01 December, 2017 10:09
I think it's more to do with land availability because it's hard to imagine a significantly bigger Stoop on the current footprint.

DOK (IP Logged)
01 December, 2017 10:23
Quote:
Fearless Fred
Self-pour beer system for every seat!

This is the poor man's version of the Tony Copsey solution! smiling smiley
(TC once had a waiter deliver me a pint of Guinness halfway through a game following some sarcastic remark I'd made on the message board about wanting the same!)

Man from LA (IP Logged)
01 December, 2017 14:11
Quote:
Mayor West
Fantastic idea to move to Brighton. Half a dozen players live that way so 12,000 people have to trek down there for a game. That's handy.

Who said anything about moving to Brighton? I actually said take one game to Brighton to attract new fans if they have to play away from the Stoop. Best you read things properly next time (or get someone to read it for you).

Uncle Arthur (IP Logged)
01 December, 2017 14:35
Quote:
Cookie
What am I missing here? Why does anyone think we'll move out of Twickenham? Is it just because we didn't say we're definitely staying in Twickenham?

Harlequins are not moving from the Stoop as the plan is to buy the council yard behind the South Stand. The recent discussion about moving out of Twickenham is while the New Stoop is being rebuilt.

Cookie (IP Logged)
01 December, 2017 16:18
From Quinssa, who asked the club some questions:

1. Will the proposed stadium redevelopment take place on the same land where Stoop is currently located?

The Stoop has been our home for 54 years and we intend to remain here. We are not looking to move elsewhere.

Bedfordshire Boy (IP Logged)
01 December, 2017 16:30
Quote:
Cookie
From Quinssa, who asked the club some questions:
1. Will the proposed stadium redevelopment take place on the same land where Stoop is currently located?

The Stoop has been our home for 54 years and we intend to remain here. We are not looking to move elsewhere.

Spoilsport.
You cannot come on here and shoot parts of the conspiracy theory out of the water.

GrubbyQuin (IP Logged)
01 December, 2017 16:51
Absolutely. Facts have no place here.

Bedfordshire Boy (IP Logged)
01 December, 2017 16:56
And while we are at it:

2. Will there be a grass or plastic pitch?
Grass. We will explore the latest in playing surface technology as part of this project, with the input of our players and coaches a key consideration. Grass is what we want and it will take us a lot to shift from this position.

3. Will there be a running track?
One of the aims of the new stadium project is to retain the key characteristics that make The Stoop unique. We will not have a running or athletics tracks around the pitch, but are keen to retain the concourse that allows supporters to walk around the pitch.

InsertQuinsPunHere (IP Logged)
01 December, 2017 17:07
Excellent work from Quinssa on the questions to management, and actually good work from the management too - their answers are concise, and in line with what I expect most fans would want.

(cue conspiracy theories!)

Saintquin (IP Logged)
01 December, 2017 17:43
A few years ago I asked Mark Evens what would happen if we out grew The Stoop and he answered very quickly "play at Stamford Bridge". That's Chelsea Football Club ground for those who may not know.

(Sm115)(Sm115)(Sm115)

Hellequin (IP Logged)
01 December, 2017 17:46
Quote:
Saintquin
A few years ago I asked Mark Evens what would happen if we out grew The Stoop and he answered very quickly "play at Stamford Bridge". That's Chelsea Football Club ground for those who may not know.

Thanks for clarifying was worried we would end up in Yorkshire playing against the Scandinavians.

Saintquin (IP Logged)
01 December, 2017 17:48
Quote:
Hellequin
Quote:
Saintquin

Thanks for clarifying was worried we would end up in Yorkshire playing against the Scandinavians.

No problem. Glad I could ease your worries!

(Sm115)(Sm115)(Sm115)

Scaramouche (IP Logged)
01 December, 2017 17:52
Why on earth would you choose to keep the concourses in front of the stands? The people who sit in the lower levels of the Stands are constantly bothered and interrupted by others wandering around during the game, standing chatting, interrupting the view of the pitch, generally being rather inconsiderate and oblivious to what was happening on the pitch.Make them walk BEHIND the stands if they want to spend their dollar on food and booze to support the Stoop inc project and exchange tips on the next best investment to make.

T-Bone (IP Logged)
01 December, 2017 17:54
Quote:
Bedfordshire Boy
And while we are at it:
2. Will there be a grass or plastic pitch?
Grass. We will explore the latest in playing surface technology as part of this project, with the input of our players and coaches a key consideration. Grass is what we want and it will take us a lot to shift from this position.

3. Will there be a running track?
One of the aims of the new stadium project is to retain the key characteristics that make The Stoop unique. We will not have a running or athletics tracks around the pitch, but are keen to retain the concourse that allows supporters to walk around the pitch.

Thanks, top work. Makes you wonder why they can't do a decent press release in the first place but still, good to hear

Hellequin (IP Logged)
01 December, 2017 17:57
Quote:
Saintquin
Quote:
Hellequin
Quote:
Saintquin

No problem. Glad I could ease your worries!

Don't want to make it any easier for the French to beat us when we have to face them a few days later back in the South East.

Mayor West (IP Logged)
01 December, 2017 20:50
What's wrong with you man from l a ? You suggested that we should move "the odd game "to Brighton while the Stoop is redeveloped because some players live down there and there was a good stadium. I pointed out that it might be handy for the few players but the other 12,000 odd supporters would have far more of a trek, especially any from further north.
Why have you been so rude in your reply? Also inaccurate as you then said "one" game in your reply. By the way, my butler read it for me so I've sorted that one.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net