rugbyunion
Latest News:

Quinssa WebsiteQuins News from News NowQuins Official Site

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Re: Today’s match
Bolly-Quin (IP Logged)
25 November, 2017 13:25
5th? Eh? They’ve only scored 4, or is this a premonition?

Unless they scored during half time...

HonkyTonk (IP Logged)
25 November, 2017 13:26
We are missing players but, so are Bath. It happens, we need to get on with it. All the players playing are part of the squad and players we have chose to be at quins.

HonkyTonk (IP Logged)
25 November, 2017 13:28
I'd say were are a mid table side. Despite the knee jerking that will happen after today, we will not go down, likewise despite the optimism when we win we will not trouble the top sides for any silverware. We have the potential but until we can get any consistency this is what we have. And we need to sort the defence.

Re: Today�s match
Cookie (IP Logged)
25 November, 2017 13:30
Quote:
Quinky Kin
Quote:
RodneyRegis
Our clearing out is dreadful.
Horrific half. Looking forward to Quinks and Si's appraisal.

I haven't seen all of the half due to intermittent feeds. Bath's defence seems good, ours looks poor. Whether it's a poor system that doesn't work, a good system that's not being adhered to, or individual errors, I can't say.

Our lack of selectable players is clearly hindering the team. We are working hard but not working smart; Bath are doing the opposite.

I thought the series of penalties on the Bath line should have seen a card; there was a warning and I hope the next one will see yellow.

Bath overall seem to be much bigger players too.

I think we are second best by a long way so far.

Happy with that appraisal?

Apart from blaming the ref and injuries (Bath are in the same boat). I agree that our conditioning is very questionable.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 25/11/2017 13:31 by Cookie.

Bolly-Quin (IP Logged)
25 November, 2017 13:30
A kingdom for a better second half...

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
25 November, 2017 13:32
Quote:
HonkyTonk
I'd say were are a mid table side. Despite the knee jerking that will happen after today, we will not go down, likewise despite the optimism when we win we will not trouble the top sides for any silverware. We have the potential but until we can get any consistency this is what we have. And we need to sort the defence.

Hooray! We won't go down!

MrOther (IP Logged)
25 November, 2017 13:33
Warming up the Sink (to come on at Bath).

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
25 November, 2017 13:34
Sink red?

DOK (IP Logged)
25 November, 2017 13:34
Bath nearly score. Kyle Sinckler coming on. We have penalty 5m from our line.

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
25 November, 2017 13:36
Sink. 2 pens in 2 mins.

HonkyTonk (IP Logged)
Quote:
RodneyRegis
Quote:
HonkyTonk

Hooray! We won't go down!

We won't win the Prem either

DOK (IP Logged)
Quote:
RodneyRegis
Sink red?

Yes, the whole team's in red.

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
25 November, 2017 13:39
Elia, finally

DOK (IP Logged)
25 November, 2017 13:39
Trapped in our 22.cant work it out. eventually kick it but this invites Bath back.

DOK (IP Logged)
25 November, 2017 13:40
Ward off. elia elia on.

HonkyTonk (IP Logged)
25 November, 2017 13:40
Should have started. That selection to me was based on Ward being a "name" rather than a better (currently) option.

Cookie (IP Logged)
25 November, 2017 13:45
Right, sick of this. Off to HQ to see if any of the Quins there feel like playing rugby today.

MrOther (IP Logged)
25 November, 2017 13:47
Burns pen: 32-7

DOK (IP Logged)
25 November, 2017 13:47
Bath penalty near posts. Bath 32 Harlequins 7. 60 minutes.

Re: Today�s match
Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
25 November, 2017 14:10
Quote:
Cookie
Quote:
Quinky Kin

I think we are second best by a long way so far.

Apart from blaming the ref and injuries (Bath are in the same boat). I agree that our conditioning is very questionable.

Not quite sure if you read my post. Pointing out facts is not the same as blaming. Hoping the ref will do something isn't the same as blaming. Stating we're second best isn't blaming.

DOK (IP Logged)
25 November, 2017 13:48
Our possession stat has fallen to 59%

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
25 November, 2017 13:50
That's made it all worthwhile. WHAT a try!

DOK (IP Logged)
25 November, 2017 13:51
Ibitoye runs from our 22 to score a try.

MrOther (IP Logged)
Try Ibitoye!

Stooperman (IP Logged)
Ibitoye is pretty fast isn't he?

Lovely try, doesn't disguise an awful afternoon!

MrOther (IP Logged)
25 November, 2017 13:52
32-14

DOK (IP Logged)
32 - 14 65 minutes

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
One day he's gonna regret carrying the ball like that smiling smiley

HonkyTonk (IP Logged)
His first try, congratulations

HonkyTonk (IP Logged)
25 November, 2017 13:53
Please get another 3, thanks

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
25 November, 2017 13:54
Oh FFS.

Bolly-Quin (IP Logged)
25 November, 2017 13:55
1 try every 5 minutes and we’ll be ok...

Tonbridge Quin (IP Logged)
25 November, 2017 13:55
So we're winning the second half?

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
25 November, 2017 13:56
Offside at the kick.

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
Charlie, please stop being such a wuss. Thanks.

DOK (IP Logged)
Walker knocks on a high one. He's great in attack but a liability elsewhere.

Stooperman (IP Logged)
25 November, 2017 13:57
Quote:
Tonbridge Quin
So we're winning the second half?

Yep, funny enough we look a much better team once we're 30 or 40 points down!

DOK (IP Logged)
25 November, 2017 13:58
Another penalty near the posts for Bath. 35 - 14 . 71 mins gone.

DOK (IP Logged)
25 November, 2017 13:59
Terrible line out throw from Harlequins.

QuinAlan (IP Logged)
25 November, 2017 14:01
One to forget

Stooperman (IP Logged)
25 November, 2017 14:03
Sarries next week! Gulp.

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
25 November, 2017 14:07
Quote:
Stooperman
Sarries next week! Gulp.

Cool, our traditional decent effort for the season.

DOK (IP Logged)
Bath get penalty 5m from Quins line. They go for posts. 38 Bath 14 Harlequins. 80 minutes. over after this kick.

HonkyTonk (IP Logged)
That's the thing, next week we will play well. No consistency (except the cack defence)

GrubbyQuin (IP Logged)
25 November, 2017 14:08
Poor. Very poor.

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
25 November, 2017 14:09
30 Again...

DOK (IP Logged)
25 November, 2017 14:10
Game over. Thank God. Plenty of possession but no defence, no attack. Sack the attack coach, sack the defence coach, sack the skills coach. That would be a start.

HonkyTonk (IP Logged)
25 November, 2017 14:12
I think the players need to start taking some responsibility also. These are pro rugby players

SouthCoastQuin (IP Logged)
25 November, 2017 14:14
Ive got a lot of respect for Easter as a player but we need to sort out the defence ASAP which i think needs a new approach.

HonkyTonk (IP Logged)
25 November, 2017 14:18
Problem is there is no sign of improvement. We have odd moments when it looks like we might have things sorted but in general you cant concede the points we are and expect to win games regularly

Stooperman (IP Logged)
25 November, 2017 14:25
That's 409 points conceded in 13 games! That's awful.

Dibden (IP Logged)
25 November, 2017 15:38
After nearly 30 years I gave up my season ticket this year as I could’nt see any hope of improvement at managerial and coaching levels because a total absence of any new blood.Performance so far justifies that decision.IWe are crying out for radical change but the present leadership are entrenched in their ways.Depressing .

RleQuin (IP Logged)
25 November, 2017 15:57
Just what I've been saying for months - finally more of you are seeing it!!
RleQ

fandg2 (IP Logged)
25 November, 2017 18:35
Ibytoye try for anyone interested

[sport.bt.com]

SiBolton (IP Logged)
25 November, 2017 20:47
Loads of possession, lack of points, considering last week, utter garbage

Cookie (IP Logged)
26 November, 2017 08:25
I was at Exeter last week. I don't know where this story has come from that we were so good. We weren't. Exeter were poor and gave us an opportunity we weren't able to capitalise on.

SiBolton (IP Logged)
26 November, 2017 09:43
Quote:
Cookie
I was at Exeter last week. I don't know where this story has come from that we were so good. We weren't. Exeter were poor and gave us an opportunity we weren't able to capitalise on.

Did I say good?
Maybe because last week it looked as though we had a chance, yesterday we didn’t
Thought defence was also improved last week, it was@#$%&yesterday
Also thought lineout has been improving but yesterday it was rubbish
Don’t know the answer, just making a comment

malco (IP Logged)
26 November, 2017 11:30
From the perspective of a not-too-tribal Bath supporter, it occurred to me yesterday that watching Harlequins was very much like watching Bath four or five years ago.

Your first XXIII is as good as anybody’s and can compete with and best any team in the Premiership.

Your squad doesn’t seem to have as much depth as the top four or five though.

Your selection issues, with the autumn internationals and injuries, would present a serious challenge for any side.

I would point out though that our team yesterday was without:

Loosehead: Nathan Catt

Hooker: Ross Batty

Tighthead: Henry Thomas, Kane Palma-Newport, Shaun Knight

Second row: Dave Attwood, Charlie Ewels, James Phillips

Back Row: Francois Louw, Taulupe Faletau, Tom Ellis, Sam Underhill

Fly half: Rhys Priestland

Centre: Max Clark, Jonathan Joseph

Back three: Anthony Watson, Semesa Rokoduguni, Tom Homer, Jeff Williams

This was actually the shortest list of unavailable players we have had so far this season.

Where we have improved immeasurably in the last three or four years is in improving our squad depth, partly through clever acquisition of squad players but largely through investing in our academy and giving young players a chance. This is something Todd Blackadder has shown far greater commitment to than his recent predecessors.

You have some very exciting players coming through but anecdotally to me it seems that most of your exciting young players are backs and that your club doesn’t currently seem quite so prolific at bringing through forwards.

I think part of this is cyclical - your squad in general peaked a year or two ago and is now in the midst of transition. All teams go through this every now and again.

I think you have to accept that until a few key acquisitions are made, a few older players are moved on and a few younger players are brought through and given the chance to find their feet, your fortunes will continue to fluctuate due to your squad depth. What is vital is that you should have the right coaching structure to recognise this, make the right acquisitions in the positions most exposed and focus on developing the next generation.

It isn’t so much about now, it is far more about tomorrow.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 26/11/2017 11:31 by malco.

never sleep (IP Logged)
26 November, 2017 12:22
Quote:
malco

I think you have to accept that until a few key acquisitions are made, . . . . . this, make the right acquisitions in the positions most exposed and focus on developing the next generation..

I, personally, think that this has been a major blow this season. We made five acquisitions- 3 'elite' players and 2 squad players. The three elites have been in the pitch for probably around 40 minutes in t (including a-league, etc) . The hope was that these guys would carry us through the autumn international period

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 26/11/2017 12:24 by never sleep.

malco (IP Logged)
26 November, 2017 12:32
Oscar Wilde has an appropriate phrase for this. To lose one would be unfortunate. To lose all three is careless. It’s very hard not to make the case that this shows the acquisition process is the problem, in terms of identifying and securing the right players who will not just be of the right standard, in the right positions, but who will also reliably be able to get onto the pitch.

Quote:
never sleep
Quote:
malco

I think you have to accept that until a few key acquisitions are made, . . . . . this, make the right acquisitions in the positions most exposed and focus on developing the next generation..

I, personally, think that this has been a major blow this season. We made five acquisitions- 3 'elite' players and 2 squad players. The three elites have been in the pitch for probably around 40 minutes in t (including a-league, etc) . The hope was that these guys would carry us through the autumn international period

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 26/11/2017 12:34 by malco.

Bedfordshire Boy (IP Logged)
26 November, 2017 12:40
I do not think there is any way that you can legislate for the injuries to Catrakilis, Bothma and Saili, all tree on the field injuries. I fail to see the link to player acquisition.

never sleep (IP Logged)
26 November, 2017 12:53
My point was that this level of acquisitions was done during the off season. It just hasn't worked out for us.

Adi Nako (IP Logged)
26 November, 2017 13:19
At least we didn't lose at home to Worcester... Anyone?

Brown Bottle (IP Logged)
26 November, 2017 13:49
Quote:
Bedfordshire Boy
I do not think there is any way that you can legislate for the injuries to Catrakilis, Bothma and Saili, all tree on the field injuries.

Get rid of the bloody trees, for a start!

BB

Adi Nako (IP Logged)
26 November, 2017 13:54
Quote:
Brown Bottle
Quote:
Bedfordshire Boy
I do not think there is any way that you can legislate for the injuries to Catrakilis, Bothma and Saili, all tree on the field injuries.

At least if we planted 15 trees instead of players our defence would improve.

Bolly-Quin (IP Logged)
26 November, 2017 14:12
Quote:
Adi Nako
Quote:
Brown Bottle
Quote:
Bedfordshire Boy

At least if we planted 15 trees instead of players our defence would improve.

Tree-quarters?

Certainly not 12 trees...

QuinAlan (IP Logged)
26 November, 2017 16:27
Need a serious professional review into why we are consistently having SO many injuries. I do understand that its a problem for every club & very aware of the missing players at Bath. Does Fitness, strength, conditioning, need investment & improving?

26 November, 2017 17:14
We've been in transition downwards since 2012

Jammy Git (IP Logged)
27 November, 2017 10:34
Quote:
never sleep
My point was that this level of acquisitions was done during the off season. It just hasn't worked out for us.

What does that mean?

O Fortuna, velut luna statu variabilis,
semper crescis aut decrescis

Cookie (IP Logged)
27 November, 2017 10:46
Quote:
Bedfordshire Boy
I do not think there is any way that you can legislate for the injuries to Catrakilis, Bothma and Saili, all tree on the field injuries. I fail to see the link to player acquisition.

If you think that they all missed large chunks of last season, in Bothma & Saili's case with the same injuries (saili arm, not concussion), then perhaps there is a link? We have a history of signing players with questionable injury history.

akb1 (IP Logged)
27 November, 2017 10:53
We announced the signing of Bothma long before he broke his arm last season. So no link there!

never sleep (IP Logged)
27 November, 2017 10:55
I think that the point I am 'trying' to make is this -
Sometimes you have a plan and the plan could be a good plan - but it just doesn't work. It doesn't mean that it was a bad plan.
Basically, the plan was to expand the team with some quality players (and some 'squad' players who could keep the team competitive during the international windows, People such as the Lewis who would fill in when Danny is off and people such as the Cat who is not on the South Africa radar at the moment.
The Cat was a key position that you would imagine that they would build a gameplan around. i.e. a pragmatic place-kicking number 10 (different from Nick Evans). However, the plan hasn't worked as those players have not been round for the Autumn internationals
I am not saying that anyone is to blame as I thought that this was a good plan. It just hasn't worked for us this season.

Cookie (IP Logged)
27 November, 2017 11:14
Quote:
akb1
We announced the signing of Bothma long before he broke his arm last season. So no link there!

He also missed a season with an ankle injury in 2013 and when the Bulls signed him he was recovering from an injury.

akb1 (IP Logged)
27 November, 2017 11:20
so not the same injury he is out with now!

Bolly-Quin (IP Logged)
27 November, 2017 11:35
Quote:
Cookie
Quote:
akb1

He also missed a season with an ankle injury in 2013 and when the Bulls signed him he was recovering from an injury.

2013 - 4 years ago LOL! (Sm22) If clubs used that as a parameter to screen players, they'd be hardly any teams with a full squad!

My god - what next?

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net