rugbyunion
Latest News:

Quinssa WebsiteQuins News from News NowQuins Official Site

Dr Roberts
never sleep (IP Logged)
26 November, 2017 12:27
Will he be able to return to us this week?
I think that Wales still have one game left?

Re: Dr Roberts
fandg2 (IP Logged)
26 November, 2017 16:30
googled it and Wales have Sth Africa next week

never sleep (IP Logged)
26 November, 2017 16:34
So, it is possible that we are short of centres and back row for next week. Assuming that Glynn will take over from Matthews

HonkyTonk (IP Logged)
26 November, 2017 16:42
Well Robshaw will be back. And Bothma and Salli are supposed to be back anytime now (Plus Stanley).

MrOther (IP Logged)
26 November, 2017 16:47
But that fourth Welsh test is outside the autumn international window, isn’t it? In which case I believe it’s a matter of what the good doctor managed to get written into his contract by way of a special deal.

??

never sleep (IP Logged)
26 November, 2017 16:49
The robshaws have not had any time off. I suspect that this will be the weekend to do it

HonkyTonk (IP Logged)
26 November, 2017 16:52
If players need a weekend off then surely the European ones would be it. I cant see the club promoting the Sarries double header and then leaving out one of our best players. Use the Ulster games to give the "squad" more game time/experience and keep the imporatnat players wrapped up in cotton wool

blucherquin (IP Logged)
26 November, 2017 17:54
Quote:
HonkyTonk
If players need a weekend off then surely the European ones would be it. I cant see the club promoting the Sarries double header and then leaving out one of our best players. Use the Ulster games to give the "squad" more game time/experience and keep the imporatnat players wrapped up in cotton wool

Roberts was explicit when he joined that his contract gave him full control over Wales availablitly. We won’t be seeing him.

Cookie (IP Logged)
26 November, 2017 18:07
Jamie Roberts will do what Jamie Roberts wants to do. He'd rather pick up a cheap cap than take a pop at Sarries. The sooner he's out of the club the better.

HonkyTonk (IP Logged)
26 November, 2017 18:20
Quote:
blucherquin
Quote:
HonkyTonk

Roberts was explicit when he joined that his contract gave him full control over Wales availablitly. We won’t be seeing him.

I agree, I was talking about Robshaw.

mccc (IP Logged)
26 November, 2017 18:34
Quote:
Cookie
Jamie Roberts will do what Jamie Roberts wants to do. He'd rather pick up a cheap cap than take a pop at Sarries. The sooner he's out of the club the better.

Wow. We have an international centre with over 50 caps. A 2 time lion and a very decent player and people are having a pop at his commitment. He has been very good this season. there is no such thing as a cheap cap especially against a side that has won 2 world cups

Cookie (IP Logged)
26 November, 2017 19:02
Quote:
mccc
Quote:
Cookie

Wow. We have an international centre with over 50 caps. A 2 time lion and a very decent player and people are having a pop at his commitment. He has been very good this season. there is no such thing as a cheap cap especially against a side that has won 2 world cups

Damn right I'm questioning his commitment to Quins. We pay his overblown salary and he's found any reason he can not to play for us, be it to play Varsity, out of window Wales games
mid-6Nations when he's been on the bench/not selected.

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
26 November, 2017 19:45
He's been pretty dreadful. Unsurprising really, one of the most overrated players of his generation. Should have torn it up in the AP given the hype, he's been solid in patches, at best.

never sleep (IP Logged)
26 November, 2017 19:58
Whatever you think of him, it is better to have him there than having no one at all. I am not convinced that a centre paying off Alofa and Cheeseman will strike fear into many teams

Cookie (IP Logged)
26 November, 2017 20:39
I'd rather play someone who wants to be here every single time. Bench him. Make him realise it's club first, him second.

Adi Nako (IP Logged)
26 November, 2017 20:41
Do Care Marker Robshaw and Brown want to be here every single time?

kevin (IP Logged)
26 November, 2017 21:23
Quote:
Cookie
I'd rather play someone who wants to be here every single time. Bench him. Make him realise it's club first, him second.

Anonymous for most of his time here in more ways then one. He has used us more than he has given us. But his contract was given to him so ....

blucherquin (IP Logged)
26 November, 2017 21:25
Quote:
Cookie
Quote:
mccc
Quote:
Cookie

Damn right I'm questioning his commitment to Quins. We pay his overblown salary and he's found any reason he can not to play for us, be it to play Varsity, out of window Wales games
mid-6Nations when he's been on the bench/not selected.

The only person to blame is OShea who agreed the deal.

Roberts has been excellent this year and was one of 15 last year playing without any recognisable system or plan.

I don’t blame him for a second. Too many others to blame.

Bolly-Quin (IP Logged)
27 November, 2017 09:21
Quote:
Cookie
Damn right I'm questioning his commitment to Quins. We pay his overblown salary and he's found any reason he can not to play for us,
* be it to play Varsity (once, before he officially began playing for us)
* out of window Wales games (twice, with Quins contract-blessing)
* mid-6Nations when he's been on the bench/not selected. (When has an England player on bench or as match reserve been available to play for club?)

You are allowed your opinion - there we are then; but come on!

As mentioned above - his commitment since late last season has been fine - before that/when he lost his starting place for Wales, not so. He's trying to put it right.

I suspect when he signed up for Quins, he thought COS was staying too (whether righty or wrongly!). To me, it shows the shambles of COS's last season and its aftermath.

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
27 November, 2017 09:23
Ouch! See you next time.

fandg2 (IP Logged)
27 November, 2017 10:05
Quote:
never sleep
I am not convinced that a centre paying off Alofa and Cheeseman will strike fear into many teams

Stating the obvious a tad as they've never played together as a centre pairing until Saturday. That said I think Cheeseman and Marchant together could pay dividends. Both are young have good footwork and pace and looking to learn, bodes well for the future imo

Cookie (IP Logged)
27 November, 2017 10:24
Quote:
Bolly-Quin
Quote:
Cookie
Damn right I'm questioning his commitment to Quins. We pay his overblown salary and he's found any reason he can not to play for us,
* be it to play Varsity (once, before he officially began playing for us)
* out of window Wales games (twice, with Quins contract-blessing)
* mid-6Nations when he's been on the bench/not selected. (When has an England player on bench or as match reserve been available to play for club?)

You are allowed your opinion - there we are then; but come on!

As mentioned above - his commitment since late last season has been fine - before that/when he lost his starting place for Wales, not so. He's trying to put it right.

I suspect when he signed up for Quins, he thought COS was staying too (whether righty or wrongly!). To me, it shows the shambles of COS's last season and its aftermath.

He's been a fringe Wales player for pretty much all his time at Quins - totally different to the England boys, most of whom are starters.

I'm more than happy with any combination of Sloan/Marchant/Saili. At least 2 of those should be fit on Saturday, so I'd be more than happy if he sat out a couple of games or, like Yarde, if we could move him on early.

I've not really seen much defence/support for him on here; rightly so.

never sleep (IP Logged)
27 November, 2017 10:59
Quote:
Cookie
I'm more than happy with any combination of Sloan/Marchant/Saili. At least 2 of those should be fit on Saturday, so I'd be more than happy if he sat out a couple of games or, like Yarde, if we could move him on early.
You are more optimistic than me :-)
Until I actually see the player come out of the tunnel on Sunday, I will assume that he is still injured.

Bolly-Quin (IP Logged)
27 November, 2017 11:29
I too, would be happy for a Sloan/Marchant/Saili combination set; but the original quote was about Roberts and his unavailability. There have been many posts here since late last season (post 6N) saying his efforts and performance are better - perhaps you've forgotten them.

As for sacking him like Yarde...

Adi Nako (IP Logged)
27 November, 2017 11:38
If he's so bad, why did the Beatles write a song about him?

Cookie (IP Logged)
27 November, 2017 12:23
Quote:
Bolly-Quin
I too, would be happy for a Sloan/Marchant/Saili combination set; but the original quote was about Roberts and his unavailability. There have been many posts here since late last season (post 6N) saying his efforts and performance are better - perhaps you've forgotten them.
As for sacking him like Yarde...

I'm one of the ones who's said he's been better, but he'd set a very low bar.

Not saying sack him, either. But if there's someone who wants to sign him for next season and beyond, perhaps they could be encouraged to do it now!

EnfieldMal (IP Logged)
27 November, 2017 15:40
Quote:
never sleep

Sarries fan in peace. Saints were heavily fined when releasing North a couple of seasons back for the 4th test. They were subsequently warned that its outside of the international window so cannot let him play irrespective of what is wriiten in his contract. So Jamie Roberts will be available & Wales will be very short of centres with Owen Williams, Rhys Priestlabf also not available

MrOther (IP Logged)
27 November, 2017 17:33
Quote:
EnfieldMal
Quote:
never sleep

Sarries fan in peace. Saints were heavily fined when releasing North a couple of seasons back for the 4th test. They were subsequently warned that its outside of the international window so cannot let him play irrespective of what is wriiten in his contract. So Jamie Roberts will be available & Wales will be very short of centres with Owen Williams, Rhys Priestlabf also not available

Yes, that’s what I remember about North. Should apply to Dr. Roberts too.

blucherquin (IP Logged)
27 November, 2017 21:35
Quote:
MrOther
Quote:
EnfieldMal
Quote:
never sleep

Yes, that’s what I remember about North. Should apply to Dr. Roberts too.

From the grauniad (see further down for Roberts)

“Confusion shrouds the availability of Taulupe Faletau for Wales’s final autumn international against South Africa on Saturday, a Test that lies outside the official window and would leave Bath facing disciplinary action if the No8 plays.

Faletau was due to be at a media conference on Tuesday with his club to promote April’s match against Leicester at Twickenham, The Clash, but journalists were told on Friday he would not be around for interview as he would be with Wales. Warren Gatland, the Wales head coach, had also said last week that the No8 would be with the national squad at their Vale of Glamorgan base this week.

However, Premiership Rugby has a policy that prevents clubs from releasing non-England players for Tests that fall outside the official window and so are not governed by the regulation obliging them to make players available to national sides. It was waived last year as a goodwill gesture, when Wales’s extra international fell on an Anglo-Welsh weekend. Premiership Rugby said the policy was being applied this weekend, when Bath are at the champions Exeter. But, when Gatland was last week asked whether he would have any of his England-based players for the match against South Africa, he replied: “We know that Toby [Taulupe] is available to us and I hope Jamie Roberts [the Harlequins centre] is.”

Four years ago Northampton were fined £60,000 for releasing their wing George North to play for Wales outside the official Test window. His contract included a clause that gave him the right to join up with Wales whenever called upon. Premiership Rugby referred the issue to an independent disciplinary panel that concluded the contract breached a rule that had been unanimously agreed by the clubs. Bath would face a similar sanction if Faletau is involved with Wales this week, although Northampton’s fine covered all three years of North’s contract. The ultimate punishment is some kind of points deduction, but that is unlikely. Wales said they would be issuing an update on Faletau “as soon as possible” while a request for comment was made to Bath. Five of the Wales 23 involved in last weekend’s match against New Zealand are based in England. The Gloucester centre Owen Williams and the Exeter prop Tomas Francis reported for duty with their clubs on Monday, along with the South Africa wing forward Francois Louw , who is a back-row colleague of Faletau’s at Bath. Faletau was with Wales.

South Africa’s head coach, Allister Coetzee, asked if he would be aggrieved if Faletau played for Wales when he had been obliged to release Louw back to Bath, said: “I just follow regulation nine and, from our point of view, Francois Louw is definitely not available for us. I cannot comment on the internal arrangement in the north but, if there is any agreement, I do not know about it.”

One Wales player who will not have to worry about the regulation next season is the Gloucester and Lions flanker Ross Moriarty. He is joining the Dragons in the summer, ensuring that he will not be snared by a rule coming into force next season that stipulates any player who signs a contract with a club outside Wales will not be available for the national side unless he has reached 60 caps.

Bolly-Quin (IP Logged)
27 November, 2017 22:04
Perhaps the “I hope (he) is available” means that it is up to Quins to release him or not - if we have no cover, they don’t get him...

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
27 November, 2017 22:55
He won't be available. Part of his contract. Dunno if we get fined. Hope we do, shouldnt' be allowed.

Cookie (IP Logged)
28 November, 2017 07:11
If he plays and we get fined, that will be it with him for me. I find it inconceivable that he would think it's ok for him to cost us any more money than he already does!

Chuckquin (IP Logged)
28 November, 2017 08:16
The only way that Roberts playing for Wales would be ok is if we have 2 quality centres fit and he pays the inevitable fine. Can't see any of those things happening though!

talkshowhost86 (IP Logged)
28 November, 2017 08:40
Yup I'm with Cookie on this one. If he chooses to play for Wales rather than Quins at a time when we have serious injury issues and we could possibly cop a fine for the whole thing, then I'd be pretty happy not to see him in a Quins shirt again.

I think the blame is on both parties here as Quins have clearly given him a huge amount of leeway whilst paying him a huge amount of money, so whoever negotiated that contract should be pretty embarrassed with themselves.

However Roberts has (as is his right to be fair) taken every inch of that leeway and it's clear that he has very little commitment to Quins.

Won't be sad to see the back of him when he goes back to Wales next season, and it's a shame to have to say that because he could and should have been a great signing for us.

never sleep (IP Logged)
28 November, 2017 11:21
Quote:
talkshowhost86
Yup I'm with Cookie on this one. If he chooses to play for Wales rather than Quins at a time when we have serious injury issues.

I think that this is a little unfair.
Wales do not have a great winning record against Southern hemisphere teams. This weekend is a chance for them to chalk up a win against an underperforming SA team.

IF Roberts plays and IF Wales win and IF Roberts scores the winning try in extra time, then he would probably be elevated to God status in all all of Wales. Also, this was probably his lifetime dream.

Playing for their country has to be the greatest honour for any sports-person.

Although I desperately want Quins to field a competitive team, I can't begrudge a player from playing for his country over his club.

Cookie (IP Logged)
28 November, 2017 11:31
Quote:
never sleep
Quote:
talkshowhost86
Yup I'm with Cookie on this one. If he chooses to play for Wales rather than Quins at a time when we have serious injury issues.

I think that this is a little unfair.
Wales do not have a great winning record against Southern hemisphere teams. This weekend is a chance for them to chalk up a win against an underperforming SA team.

IF Roberts plays and IF Wales win and IF Roberts scores the winning try in extra time, then he would probably be elevated to God status in all all of Wales. Also, this was probably his lifetime dream.

Playing for their country has to be the greatest honour for any sports-person.

Although I desperately want Quins to field a competitive team, I can't begrudge a player from playing for his country over his club.

This is a simple one. If Wales wanted to beat SA they should have arranged a game in the window. End of.

It's total BS that the WRU are STILL trying to put this back on the English clubs. Northampton lost North last season for a game AND got fined £60k. It's utter nonsense.

The fact that Roberts may want to take advantage would reinforce my view on his commitment to Quins.

Jammy Git (IP Logged)
28 November, 2017 11:34
I would want the England boys to put country ahead of club. Hell, I was thrilled for Mark Regan when he had his massive dustup with Bristol over captaining the Barbarians to their amazing win back in the day.

O Fortuna, velut luna statu variabilis,
semper crescis aut decrescis

Adi Nako (IP Logged)
28 November, 2017 12:06
Country always comes first even though I'd rather watch a Quins game most of the time

Stoquin (IP Logged)
28 November, 2017 12:27
Just announced Roberts has been released so that has put an end to this debate. This must be good news for us.

28 November, 2017 12:36
Quote:
Stoquin
Just announced Roberts has been released so that has put an end to this debate. This must be good news for us.

Well it certainly gives us another option which considering how many injuries we have in that area has to be a good thing.

I hope his head is in the game though.

MrOther (IP Logged)
28 November, 2017 14:14
If I negotiate an employment contract the terms of which place my employer in breach of its obligations towards some third party (the premiership, for example), then who’s to blame?

28 November, 2017 14:17
Quote:
MrOther
If I negotiate an employment contract the terms of which place my employer in breach of its obligations towards some third party (the premiership, for example), then who’s to blame?

Roberts is well within his rights to try and negotiate the contract that is best for him.

Someone should have been doing the same on our behalf.

If we signed a contract under which he can play for Wales, thus missing out on playing for us, and we get fined whilst he gets paid his weekly wage, then I'd suggest we need someone else in our negotiation team.

But as he's now been released it doesn't look like this is the case.

Bolly-Quin (IP Logged)
28 November, 2017 21:45
Quote:
talkshowhost86
...Someone should have been doing the same on our behalf.

Perhaps why JK didn't like some of the contracts...

28 November, 2017 22:30
Quote:
Bolly-Quin
Quote:
talkshowhost86
...Someone should have been doing the same on our behalf.

Perhaps why JK didn't like some of the contracts...

Indeed. Certainly not one that he can be blamed for.

TW Quin (IP Logged)
28 November, 2017 22:36
Quote:
MrOther
The clubs lawyers on the face of it. Quins should seek advice about the bad advice. What a mess and we become more like football the more we let players and their agents call the tune.

Fearless Fred (IP Logged)
29 November, 2017 05:49
The club laid down the law...

akb1 (IP Logged)
29 November, 2017 06:54
Wonder if we would have demanded he return if we didn't have the current injury crisis.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 29/11/2017 07:49 by akb1.

DamonQuins (IP Logged)
29 November, 2017 07:22
I'm with the club on this one.....we pay a huge salary to this player who needs to help us out in what clearly is a very tough period for the club.

I do sympathise with Roberts that he is desperate to make 100 caps but it's not the clubs issue and if he had Wales at the top of his agenda he would have signed for a Welsh region from Racing.

I'm all for the club's new approach to players who are not putting the 'team' first. When we won the Premiership it was all about the team and our defending shows we've gone well too far away from that mentality this season.

MrOther (IP Logged)
29 November, 2017 07:33
Quote:
Fearless Fred
The club laid down the law...

Good.

blucherquin (IP Logged)
29 November, 2017 08:07

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 29/11/2017 08:13 by blucherquin.

Stooperman (IP Logged)
29 November, 2017 10:36
Starting to look like Robert's deal is almost as much of a problem as Yarde's attitude.

CoS has a lot to answer for.

T-Bone (IP Logged)
29 November, 2017 12:07
Quote:
Stooperman
Starting to look like Robert's deal is almost as much of a problem as Yarde's attitude.
CoS has a lot to answer for.

The classic JK excuse

Scaramouche (IP Logged)
29 November, 2017 16:54
The classic JK out response.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net