rugbyunion
Latest News:

Quinssa WebsiteQuins News from News NowQuins Official Site

Exceedingly OT: Customs charges on parcels from the US
The Dead Baron (IP Logged)
27 November, 2017 21:11
I've bought a coat from the US which was dispatched really quickly and arrived in this country within 5 days of leaving the shop. However, it's been sitting in Parcel Farce's Coventry hellhole since 21st November Awaiting customs clearance / customs charges raised". Now as I understand it this means that I have been - or will be - sent a letter asking me to pay import duty and VAT after which the coat will be dispatched to a local PF hub for delivery. I believe there is a code on this letter that I need to quote when I pay up, so I need the letter, but it hasn't arrived yet.

I was just wondering if anyone had had any similar experiences with this sort of thing, how long it takes to receive the letter, and if there's anything I can do to expedite this?

Cheers!

Re: Exceedingly OT: Customs charges on parcels from the US
Adi Nako (IP Logged)
27 November, 2017 21:54
I can't help you but I did have this once through royal mail. They not only demanded the customs charge of a few quid but a ridiculous amount as an "admin fee" (I think it was 7 quid). As far as I could work out there was no way to pay the custom fee alone and as the package was only worth about 15 quid I decided to cut my loses.

Bolly-Quin (IP Logged)
27 November, 2017 22:09
I imported something a year ago and had to pay up in advance, handled by the shipper (DHL!) - it came straight through - I received a letter a month later asking for payment, but as it had been paid, it was waived (admin f-up). Normally depends on the seller to alert them (shipper/customs) first perhaps, but it may be different for different types of goods (mine was software). Sorry I canít be more help, but I am sure I remember visiting a website about it - google it? Perhaps look at shippers website...

rdc (IP Logged)
28 November, 2017 01:21
Quote:
Adi Nako
I can't help you but I did have this once through royal mail. They not only demanded the customs charge of a few quid but a ridiculous amount as an "admin fee" (I think it was 7 quid). As far as I could work out there was no way to pay the custom fee alone and as the package was only worth about 15 quid I decided to cut my loses.

I had same experience

Fearless Fred (IP Logged)
28 November, 2017 09:04
I can back up what Adi and RDC have said. I recently had a delivery from the US and was charged by Royal Mail not just for the Customs fee but for the "handling" as well. You'll get one of the red cards through your door saying there's a package for collection at the local office, and you'll have no option but to pay there...

blucherquin (IP Logged)
28 November, 2017 09:24
For fear of taking this even more OT but Parcel Farce (nice) are just astoundingly bad.

Van driver twice claimed he'd tried to leave parcel (we were in, he hadn't, probably just couldn't be bothered parking).

Left no note, package goes back to "up north", only company that needs something "signing for" (like it's diamonds and it's 1955).

The other companies either leave it with a neighbour or dump it under the recycling bins. If it gets nicked, doesn't cost me anything, so perfectly happy with that.

The faster it goes out of business the better.

Scaramouche (IP Logged)
28 November, 2017 09:56
I think its time for them to packet in too.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Boonie (IP Logged)
28 November, 2017 11:16
Sadly, it is down to the individual company. If it is shipped via UPS, DHL or one of the other bit international companies, they have whole departments that manage this kind of thing. For PF, despite what they may claim it is not their core business.

As far as I know, there is no international standard for how long the process should take; in the past I've always worked on the "squeaky wheel gets the oil" process and bombarded them with enquiries until they got fed up and did the necessary.

Not much comfort, but you are a tad unlucky there - although technically everything is supposed to have a Customs charge if it has a duty rate higher than 0, but in practice not all packages go through the process; I've had dutiable stuff come in and no charges applied.

Have you raised a formal complaint with PF? If you have, and escalated, and still don't have anything, might be worth reporting it to the local Customs & Excise office as a complaint - the delay in processing means a delay in revenue for them.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to bleat about it all over the internet"

QuickerQuin (IP Logged)
28 November, 2017 21:34
Quote:
Fearless Fred
and you'll have no option but to pay there...

On the contrary.

You don't have to pay if you don't want to.

05 December, 2017 20:31
Just to wrap this up, I received a letter about customs charges on Friday, paid Friday night (£25 of which £11 was a "handling fee"), and the coat arrived this afternoon. So 19 days from Kentucky to Surrey.

I guess in the grand scheme of things it could have been a lot worse.

Scaramouche (IP Logged)
06 December, 2017 11:40
Quote:
The Dead Baron
Just to wrap this up, I received a letter about customs charges on Friday, paid Friday night (£25 of which £11 was a "handling fee"), and the coat arrived this afternoon. So 19 days from Kentucky to Surrey.
I guess in the grand scheme of things it could have been a lot worse.

smiling smiley

Illegitimi non carborundum

06 December, 2017 22:53
;-)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net