rugbyunion
Latest News:

Quinssa WebsiteQuins News from News NowQuins Official Site

JK post match - injuries, internationals etc
blucherquin (IP Logged)
28 November, 2017 13:10
Didn't see anyone posting about this so here it is (apols if they have).

Long audio from Kingston post Bath -- link below -- picked out some main points.

1) Smith and Matthews were both HIAs. Smith passed test but then said he felt dizzy. Matthews was worse and didn't know where he was. JK says Smith might be ok for Sunday, more doubt over Matthews.

2) 30 players were missing in total against Bath (out of 56 players)

3) JK says it's the strongest squad in time he's been at Quins but they just haven't been available to play.

4) "I unashamedly would not at the moment have a clue what the best team is for Harlequins at the moment because so many of them have not played together - and that's how you build a team"

5) Internationals WILL be back next week, Bothma avail next week, Sinckler will be back to start next week, Roberts will be back, Merrick probably back and he says Saili is "very very close"

[soundcloud.com]

Re: JK post match - injuries, internationals etc
T-Bone (IP Logged)
28 November, 2017 16:19
Thanks.

Not sure I agree with point 3, but I guess it's entirely subjective, and I'm probably looking back with slightly rose tinted specs at former squads.

If this is the best squad though, then begs the question of why have we done better in the past with weaker squads?

Cookie (IP Logged)
28 November, 2017 16:21
Saili had an MRI scan last week, so I'm a bit confused as to how he wasn't available last weekend but should be for Sunday. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Bolly-Quin (IP Logged)
28 November, 2017 21:52
Quote:
T-Bone
If this is the best squad though, then begs the question of why have we done better in the past with weaker squads?

Played inferior teams?

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
29 November, 2017 07:23
Quote:
Bolly-Quin
Quote:
T-Bone

Played inferior teams?

Greater availability, less injuries?

In our Prem winning season we didn't lose many to callups, as I recall.

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
29 November, 2017 07:25
Quote:
Cookie
Saili had an MRI scan last week, so I'm a bit confused as to how he wasn't available last weekend but should be for Sunday. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Concussion is impossible to measure. I would hazard a guess that there were signs that weren't 100% clear so they erred on the side of caution.

ballsout (IP Logged)
29 November, 2017 11:06
The man is the biggest bluffer in rugby.

Spent the entire time making excuses, talking about injuries. I bet the players who did play feel great to be thrown under the bus by him. Awful man management.

Bath went through an equally bad unavailable list but Blackadder didn't mention it once post-match, he talked about the players who DID play, not the ones who didn't.

never sleep (IP Logged)
29 November, 2017 13:18
Quote:
ballsout
Spent the entire time making excuses, talking about injuries. I bet the players who did play feel great to be thrown under the bus by him. Awful man management.

Bath went through an equally bad unavailable list but Blackadder didn't mention it once post-match, he talked about the players who DID play, not the ones who didn't.

I think that you would be a fool not to acknowledge that player unavailability is having an affect on the team's performance. We are probably relying on players who are carrying knocks and (as fans) getting upset when those same players only appear to be giving 75% on the field.
The nature of the unavailability of players means that the first part of team selection is pretty easy - i.e. you just choose the 23 least injured players. The difficult part is working out who of going to be playing out of position.

Stooperman (IP Logged)
29 November, 2017 13:26
I still don't get this as an excuse, as far as I can see the only injured players who would be in the match day 23 are

Twomey
Clifford
Wallace
Lewis
Cat
Saili/SLoan

For CLifford we have a perfectly decent back up in Chisholm (if the twit hadn't got himself cited)
Apparently Bothna plays 7
Smith is looking better than Cat anyway
Merrick & or Matthews are up there with Twomey.
Saili is probably better than Roberts, but surely a lot less familiar with our systems.

It just seems a bit of a weak excuse, especially as I'd say the loss of Vunipola for example at Sarries is a much bigger impact than any of our injury problems.

ballsout (IP Logged)
29 November, 2017 13:33
Quote:
never sleep
Quote:
ballsout

I think that you would be a fool not to acknowledge that player unavailability is having an affect on the team's performance. We are probably relying on players who are carrying knocks and (as fans) getting upset when those same players only appear to be giving 75% on the field.
The nature of the unavailability of players means that the first part of team selection is pretty easy - i.e. you just choose the 23 least injured players. The difficult part is working out who of going to be playing out of position.

Blackadder doesn't acknowledge it, and our injury list has been just as bad as yours over the past season and half. He talks about the players who have pulled on the shirt, not the injured.

Kingston's using it as an excuse to save his own back. Each week he seems to arbitrarily add another 5-10 players to the list of unavailable. The fact is more than half of your XV at the weekend were good enough to be first choice. Ward, Collier, Matthews, Horwill, Chisholm, Luamanu, Smith, Visser, Alofa and Walker are all more than capable of being first choice, if they aren't already.

Quin21 (IP Logged)
29 November, 2017 13:34
Completely agree Stooperman, we knew our best four players would be away with England as we do every single year. In terms of injuries other teams are also struggling but rarely are post-match interviews littered with as many excuses as JK seems to come out with. I'm a fan of JK and the whole coaching team but with the squad available to Quins it simply isn't good enough currently and some honest acknowledgement of that would be better than the same excuses.

never sleep (IP Logged)
29 November, 2017 14:05
Quote:
ballsout
Quote:
never sleep
Quote:
ballsout

Blackadder doesn't acknowledge it, and our injury list has been just as bad as yours over the past season and half. He talks about the players who have pulled on the shirt, not the injured.

Kingston's using it as an excuse to save his own back. Each week he seems to arbitrarily add another 5-10 players to the list of unavailable. The fact is more than half of your XV at the weekend were good enough to be first choice. Ward, Collier, Matthews, Horwill, Chisholm, Luamanu, Smith, Visser, Alofa and Walker are all more than capable of being first choice, if they aren't already.

This subject was done to death before the game. From memory, I think the agreement was that only 2 players from Saturday were playing in their optimum first place positions.
Basically, if you have a team of people who (as you stated) are more than capable of being first choice, then what you have there is your A league team.

The bit about JK publishing it is a bit rich. Tons of people on here moan when he doesn't mention it. A case of damned if he does, etc.

29 November, 2017 14:21
Completely irrational possibly, but everything he does annoys me.....camera pans to him during a game and he looks away with the fairies, his interviews are a litany of excuses, side of a pitch pre-game he stands around doing nothing.......sorry......the man is not A DOR!!!!! 'What we are building?????'...Yes what are we building??? a bottom 4 club EACH SEASON!!!.....Doesn't know his best team?? WTF is he talking about??? 'Doing remarkably well!!!'.....WHAT HAS HE BEEN WATCHING!!!!!!???????????(Sm164)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 29/11/2017 14:34 by Harleys Evil Step Mum.

Cookie (IP Logged)
29 November, 2017 14:22
Quote:
never sleep
Quote:
ballsout
Quote:
never sleep
Quote:
ballsout

This subject was done to death before the game. From memory, I think the agreement was that only 2 players from Saturday were playing in their optimum first place positions.
Basically, if you have a team of people who (as you stated) are more than capable of being first choice, then what you have there is your A league team.

The bit about JK publishing it is a bit rich. Tons of people on here moan when he doesn't mention it. A case of damned if he does, etc.

There's a massive difference between telling Quins fans what the injury statuses are and using it as a post-match excuse every week. But then I think you know that.

ballsout (IP Logged)
29 November, 2017 14:42
Quote:
never sleep

The agreement? Do you mean one person offered such a ludicrous suggestion? Horwill, Visser, Smith and Luamanu, there's four players already. Collier, Ward, Walker, Alofa, and Chisholm are more than good enough to step up as well.

Quote:

(Sm55)

Quote:

Tons of people on here moan when Kingston doesn't mention how many players are out injured? Really? Firstly, strange thing to complain about. Second, Kingston won't shut up about it!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 29/11/2017 14:44 by ballsout.

fandg2 (IP Logged)
29 November, 2017 14:45
Quote:
Harleys Evil Step Mum
.camera pans to him during a game and he looks away with the fairies....

I'm not jumping on the JK out/in bandwagon but I will say on the above that having had JK stand on his own directly behind me for a whole match (and I mean directly behind me) I'd doubt very much that he's away with the fairies. He made the same sort of emotional comments we all make when watching a game. I found his 'outburst's' (both pro and con on what was happening on the pitch) very similar to my own which was gratifying me me anyway. Came across as a regular guy who just want's his team to do well

I'd guess, as with most people who are in the media spotlight, that there are two sides to those people. The one they let the public see and the one the don't

blucherquin (IP Logged)
29 November, 2017 15:28
Quote:
ballsout

Unless you listened to a different interview I’d say he spends half of it talking about how pleased he was with the team despite the result because they’re so inexperienced and many wouldn’t normally expect to be starting for the XV.

Cookie (IP Logged)
29 November, 2017 15:31
Quote:
blucherquin
Quote:
ballsout

Unless you listened to a different interview I’d say he spends half of it talking about how pleased he was with the team despite the result because they’re so inexperienced and many wouldn’t normally expect to be starting for the XV.

Sounds like pretty much the same thing.

blucherquin (IP Logged)
29 November, 2017 15:35
Quote:
Cookie
Quote:
blucherquin
Quote:
ballsout

Sounds like pretty much the same thing.

Nope, he was talking up their peformance. The opposite of what’s claimed in the post.

T-Bone (IP Logged)
29 November, 2017 16:13
Why was he talking up their performance? It was awful

Cookie (IP Logged)
29 November, 2017 16:17
Precisely a T-Bone said. It was a dreadful performance. And saying they played well as they were inexperienced and not normal starters a) pretty much says they're not good enough and b) is another complaint about missing players worded differently.

quin_jon (IP Logged)
29 November, 2017 17:25
Not sure I get the point of this thread.

Are we saying that having 26+ players unavailable due to injury/call ups/suspension does not impact on the team selection and performance?

Or are we saying having 26+ players unavailable due to injury/call ups/suspension does impact the team selection and performance, but we're not allowed to mention it because some bloke at another club doesn't?

Only Joe Quin (IP Logged)
29 November, 2017 21:06
I think we are saying that having 26+ players unavailable due to injury/call ups/suspensions does impact the team selection and performance but JK isn’t allowed to mention it but has to keep us informed because he’s not a DOR!!! AND HE HAS BEEN WATCHING ARSENAL!!!!????!!!!

blucherquin (IP Logged)
29 November, 2017 21:40
Quote:
quin_jon
Not sure I get the point of this thread.
Are we saying that having 26+ players unavailable due to injury/call ups/suspension does not impact on the team selection and performance?

Or are we saying having 26+ players unavailable due to injury/call ups/suspension does impact the team selection and performance, but we're not allowed to mention it because some bloke at another club doesn't?

The point of the thread was to type out what Kingston said in an audio interview.

Then it got hijacked for the usual post-truth “yes but what he meant was this” or “I don’t believe him” or “he’s deluded”. Just substitute whichever one you want depending how much you can’t allow Kingston to say anything without asserting that your vast experience of his personality means you know more about what he was saying than he did.

I have very serious doubts about his abilities thus far but this board makes Breitbart and the Canary look like bastions of truth and fairness these days.

Bolly-Quin (IP Logged)
29 November, 2017 22:31
Quote:
Harleys Evil Step Mum
...but everything he does annoys me...

Ahh, that explains it then...

(Sm31)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net