rugbyunion
Latest News:

Quinssa WebsiteQuins News from News NowQuins Official Site

Ben Glynn extends contract
raedarius (IP Logged)
01 December, 2017 14:47
HARLEQUINS IS TODAY (FRIDAY 1ST DECEMBER) PROUD TO ANNOUNCE THAT SECOND ROW BEN GLYNN HAS EXTENDED HIS TIME WITH THE CLUB.

Confirming the announcement, Glynn said: "I'm really excited about extending my contract with Harlequins.

I've been enjoying my rugby and I'm looking forward to continuing to work with this great group of players and coaches."

Glynn initially joined Harlequins from Bristol Rugby in the summer of 2017, as injury dispensation for Sam Twomey, and has since made 12 appearances; playing in both the second and back row.

Debuting at the London Double Header against London Irish, Glynn was nominated for October's DHL Supporters' Player of the Month and scored his first try for the Club against Worcester Warriors in the Anglo-Welsh Cup.

Harlequins Director of Rugby, John Kingston, added: "I'm absolutely delighted that we've extended the contract of Ben Glynn. We initially signed him for one year, but we've been extremely impressed with his progression and we're thrilled he's extended his deal at Harlequins."

Player Profile
Ben Glynn
Position: Second Row
D.O.B: 27/03/1991
Height: 6'6"
Weight: 120KG

I'm actually quite pleased about this. He's not a star, but he's kept us going through difficult times and, out of character for our usual signings, he doesn't seem to get injured. Nice that he's been rewarded.

Re: Ben Glynn extends contract
Fearless Fred (IP Logged)
01 December, 2017 15:16
That means we're going to have a lot of locks next season. Horwill, Matthews, Twomey, Merrick, Glynn, and South all on senior contracts, and Okafor in the Academy. Glynn's proved to be a solid player so far, and helpfully he's able to cover in the back row a bit as well, so he's handy to have. I know he's not a "baby-eating Georgian lock" but I'm glad he's settled in so well & we'll have options in the 2nd Row all through the season.

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
01 December, 2017 15:49
I think he's been a very good signing - seems to get better each game and puts in a decent shift most of the time. Funny how some people were quite dismissive when we signed him.

talkshowhost86 (IP Logged)
01 December, 2017 16:18
He's pretty average, but seems to play consistently at the same level so quite reliable when we need him. A useful member of the squad at the moment, but if the injuries clear up you'd rather see some youngsters come through in that 2nd/3rd line of selection.

Hellequin (IP Logged)
01 December, 2017 16:27
Been fine, not going to be first choice in a full squad but decent enough when needed and can cover 4-8 usefully.

Scaramouche (IP Logged)
01 December, 2017 17:36
Cannot believe how dismissive everyone is about Glynn. If you were backed into a Harlequins coloured corner who would you prefer? Dr Roberts or Ben Glynn?

Illegitimi non carborundum

raedarius (IP Logged)
01 December, 2017 17:37
Everyone?

talkshowhost86 (IP Logged)
01 December, 2017 18:04
The upsetting thing is that Glynn is the sort of player that Exeter or Sarries would turn into a star.

I think he’ll stay as he is at Quins.

T-Bone (IP Logged)
01 December, 2017 17:50
Quote:
Quinky Kin
I think he's been a very good signing - seems to get better each game and puts in a decent shift most of the time. Funny how some people were quite dismissive when we signed him.

I have been very impressed with his attitude and effort. However, and I'm really trying not to be overly negative, I just don't think he's that good a player. Given that he probably wasn't expected to play that much, he's done really well having to play more or less every game, swapping between second and back row, so I don't want to criticise the bloke. I just don't think it's a great sign of ambition to be signing players who were not first choice for the relegated team and who most top 6 teams probably wouldn't look at.

Anyway, he's staying so congratulations to him, and hopefully he'll prove me massively wrong

blucherquin (IP Logged)
01 December, 2017 18:01
I'm not sure we're going to be overburdened with locks. Nothing says this extension goes beyond the end of this season.

QuinAlan (IP Logged)
01 December, 2017 18:53
" We initially signed him for ONE YEAR, but we've been extremely impressed with his progression and we're thrilled he's extended his deal at Harlequins."

That suggests he's staying next season, although this is yet another statement of secretive duration.

Rinkadink (IP Logged)
01 December, 2017 19:17
Ben was pretty much first choice at Bristol, with B&I Lion Ian Evans his main competition. Ben had no real experience at back row until joining you guys either so we're all pleased to see him doing so well in an unfamiliar role. He isn't flashy but has fair pace for a guy of his size, a really good work ethic and doesn't shy from contact or rucks.

Had we not a really promising crop of academy talent and similar I don't think we would be too happy at all about his departure so take that for what you will. He's still young for a forward at 26 and will no doubt be better off for more prem experience which he has only had a limited amount of exposure to.

After watching a fair number of your games this season I would say he is one of your better performers too so look after him and congratulations on the extention.

Quinkent (IP Logged)
01 December, 2017 21:40
Credit to him. Not a star player, but id rather have a decent player who can put in a good shift week in week out than a marquee signing who never comes out of his hospital tent. Exeters success is built on having players who are consistently good rather than occasionally brilliant. We could do with a few more.

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
01 December, 2017 21:49
Quote:
Scaramouche
Cannot believe how dismissive everyone is about Glynn. If you were backed into a Harlequins coloured corner who would you prefer? Dr Roberts or Ben Glynn?

Agree. I'm the firsr to point out that he's probably not AP class, but that's not his fault. If we could perauade the rest of the sauad to play above their potential like he does then we'd be soing better than we are. I like him.

blucherquin (IP Logged)
02 December, 2017 07:33
Quote:
QuinAlan
" We initially signed him for ONE YEAR, but we've been extremely impressed with his progression and we're thrilled he's extended his deal at Harlequins."
That suggests he's staying next season, although this is yet another statement of secretive duration.

Oh, missed that somehow. In which case ignore me, we do have a lot of locks.

Mayor West (IP Logged)
02 December, 2017 08:02
Could it be that we have consistently had long term injury problems at lock and back row so we need a solid and robust player to fill in, which is exactly what he is. I hope it doesn't mean Sam has had a setback.

Adi Nako (IP Logged)
02 December, 2017 08:55
I'm pretty happy with that, decent squad player.

DOK (IP Logged)
02 December, 2017 20:35
I'd echo that, Adi. Think this is a good signing.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net