rugbyunion
Latest News:

Quinssa WebsiteQuins News from News NowQuins Official Site

Toby Flood dropkick conversion
Months KYT (IP Logged)
02 December, 2017 06:20
Any else see this from last night game . Thought there might be a TMO ruling on first try so before it could be questioned he slotted a drop goal conversion therefore couldn’t be questioned

Re: Toby Flood dropkick conversion
blucherquin (IP Logged)
02 December, 2017 07:01
Quote:
Months KYT
Any else see this from last night game . Thought there might be a TMO ruling on first try so before it could be questioned he slotted a drop goal conversion therefore couldn’t be questioned

Like Smith has done for us.

It's a law that has to be changed.

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
02 December, 2017 07:17
I like it.

blucherquin (IP Logged)
02 December, 2017 07:31
Quote:
RodneyRegis
I like it.

It's cheating. You know it's not a try so you deliberately stop the review.

It's not right, no matter how fun it was when we did it.

QuickerQuin (IP Logged)
02 December, 2017 08:20
The answer is for the referee not to say 'try' until he is sure?

If he simply blew up and stopped play until he was sure, then no kick could be taken.

That's the best way, shirley?

Adi Nako (IP Logged)
02 December, 2017 08:50
Again it's been like that since the TMO was brought in. I don't understand it personally and don't think a quick conversion is within the spirit of the laws.

Adi Nako (IP Logged)
02 December, 2017 08:53
Quote:
QuickerQuin
The answer is for the referee not to say 'try' until he is sure?
If he simply blew up and stopped play until he was sure, then no kick could be taken.

That's the best way, shirley?

The problem only really happens when the ref thinks they are sure but has missed something. A possible example might be the try that Australia had disallowed against England because of Moore's block. The referee didn't consider it a problem until he saw the replays.

fandg2 (IP Logged)
02 December, 2017 08:58
More interestingly for me was that I got the impression that Newcastle tried to do similar to prevent Flood getting a yellow card for dropping a rolling maul. Thought I heard the commentary team saying that because it was a penalty try there was no conversion now and Newcastle were trying to kick off before the ref and TMO had started to review who had dropped the driving maul. Did I hear correct that you could do that as well?

Adi Nako (IP Logged)
02 December, 2017 09:21
Also i thought Flood was a bit better than that. Im sure i have a memory of him "scoring" a try, the ref going to TMO and him saying not to bother because he dropped it.

Samquin (IP Logged)
02 December, 2017 09:24
Quote:
fandg2
More interestingly for me was that I got the impression that Newcastle tried to do similar to prevent Flood getting a yellow card for dropping a rolling maul. Thought I heard the commentary team saying that because it was a penalty try there was no conversion now and Newcastle were trying to kick off before the ref and TMO had started to review who had dropped the driving maul. Did I hear correct that you could do that as well?

I heard the same. Surely if a penalty try there is a likelihood of a review so there should be a block on a quick KO.

I see the hand of Dean Richards in these sneaky "plays".

blucherquin (IP Logged)
02 December, 2017 10:06
Quote:
fandg2

Yes exactly right - or rather that’s what they said last night. Falcons got rumbled - ref stopped them kicking off.

blucherquin (IP Logged)
02 December, 2017 10:08
Quote:
Adi Nako
Also i thought Flood was a bit better than that. Im sure i have a memory of him "scoring" a try, the ref going to TMO and him saying not to bother because he dropped it.

Well you’ll have think we’re not “better” than that either - coz we did it this season.

Adi Nako (IP Logged)
02 December, 2017 10:30
I know and I wasn't too happy about it!

ChipsteadQuin (IP Logged)
02 December, 2017 10:46
We've all accepted that reviews are part of the game , so I think the law needs changing , if teams want to take a quick drop kick conversion to save a minute that's fine , but it shouldn't prevent a review taking place , and if in their haste they miss the drop kick then so be it .

Its becoming prevalent and its a loophole that needs sorting .

Saintquin (IP Logged)
02 December, 2017 11:19
As we know, it will not affect the vast majority of rugby as tv cameras will not be there.
So it's only the top players who cheat (play to the laws) with this one!

Harlequins, (was once) probably the best rugby club in the world!
(Sm115)(Sm115)(Sm115)

DOK (IP Logged)
02 December, 2017 13:09
While the law says doing it is legal, I don't see the problem. How many times does a player stop to tell the ref he knows he's just thrown a forward pass?

Adi Nako (IP Logged)
02 December, 2017 14:19
Quote:
DOK
While the law says doing it is legal, I don't see the problem. How many times does a player stop to tell the ref he knows he's just thrown a forward pass?

More often than you might think at grassroots level!

I don't really see the parallels between your example and taking a quick conversion though.

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
02 December, 2017 23:32
I recall a Tigers v Quins game where Tom Williams was diving for a loose ball as it went over the tryline. He was blatantly tackled in the air. Flood was the player haranguing Wayne Barnes (he seemed to ref every Tigers v Quins game)that the decision was "Try or No Try", when "Penalty Try" would have been fairer.

I always viewed him as a cynical player after that.

blucherquin (IP Logged)
03 December, 2017 07:42
How this has turned into a thread about Flood being cynical I’ll never know....he just did what everyone including us are doing all the time

Kent Fan (IP Logged)
03 December, 2017 08:00
In the Exeter v Bath game JP grabbed the ball to stop Exeter taking the drop before the referral.

Needs a rule change... agree with Austin Healey

Scaramouche (IP Logged)
03 December, 2017 09:47
OMG so do I!(Sm112)

Illegitimi non carborundum

Neale Harvey (IP Logged)
03 December, 2017 10:47
Quote:
fandg2

For the record, a game cannot restart after a penalty try until a referee is back in position and happy for it to do so. RFU were alerted to a couple of early season incidents in the lower leagues where sides conceding a 7-pointer grabbed the ball while the scoring team were celebrating, rushed back up field, kicked-off and immediately ran in a try unopposed. Was quietly nipped in the bud so you won't be seeing it happen at the Stoop. Rule of thumb is that the ref will walk back to halfway, by which time the scoring team should be back in position. If not, ref may order a restart without them!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net