rugbyunion
Latest News:

Quinssa WebsiteQuins News from News NowQuins Official Site

James Lang
Lawyerquin (IP Logged)
04 December, 2017 09:06
Saw on another thread that James Lang dislocated his shoulder as Sarries scored their first try. And then popped it back in himself and played on. As I was watching yesterday we wondered if that had happened but thought we must be mistaken. Must have been in some pain and discomfort. But he played well and has a real boot on him.

Re: James Lang
Bellyfull (IP Logged)
04 December, 2017 09:51
If he learnt too tackle properly it wouldn't have dislocated it. Own stupid fault !!!!

Bedfordshire Boy (IP Logged)
04 December, 2017 10:29
Quote:
Bellyfull
If he learnt too tackle properly it wouldn't have dislocated it. Own stupid fault !!!!

No sympathy vote from you then.

T-Bone (IP Logged)
04 December, 2017 10:32
I reckon he looks like a very decent prospect, and fair play to play on after that, knowing that we had our 7th choice 9 on the bench as the only cover for him. Serious boot on him too. Makes such a difference that we can make proper ground with a penalty kick, not Nev's 20m efforts

ACQuins (IP Logged)
04 December, 2017 10:37
I noticed that too. He was down for a while cradling his shoulder. Continued on admirably, well played young man.

He's a real attacking outlet, able to use the ball intelligently or break through gaps, with a lot of gas. I've said it before, I'd love to see him given a prolonged period of time at 12 outside Marcus.

ACQuins (IP Logged)
04 December, 2017 10:50
Incidentally, I was high up in the South Stand (not my usual position) and after about 5 minutes some blokey Quins fans behind me realised that Marcus Smith had not started at 10. They spent a while speculating who it might be that was now playing 10, before one of them confidently declared that it must be Lewis Boyce. I had half a mind to turn round and say it was very impressive for a loosehead prop to put in a shift at fly half against the European champions but, as I said, they were more blokey than me so I thought better of giving some cheek.

Snowman (IP Logged)
04 December, 2017 11:32
Credit to James Lang also for that final penalty kick from near the half way line that found touch just short of the 5m and set the team up for Tim Visserís try
With a dislocated shoulder that is even more impressive
Well done indeed!

Fanski (IP Logged)
04 December, 2017 11:39
He was great for a young guy in against the Euro champions and he played well at Exeter

poorfour (IP Logged)
04 December, 2017 11:46
He certainly took a blow to the shoulder but having myself had a dislocated shoulder that popped back in, I seriously doubt it was dislocated. Clifford was reported as having had a subluxation (partial dislocation that popped back in) and had to leave the field immediately. Even given our dire fly half situation I really doubt Lang would have stayed on with an actual dislocation.

The physio was back on a few minutes later pulling on the arm and testing the joint. I am pretty sure you wouldn't do that (and Lang wouldn't be able to pull back) with a dislocation.

All that said, really well done to him for getting up and soldiering on for 80 minutes. He doesn't have the wizardry that Smith does, but he looks like a confident and competent young fly half who doesn't get flustered and lose the plot. That's no bad thing to have.

It's worth noting that that one bad hit led directly to Sarries' only try - a much better defensive performance from Quins. Also that perhaps they should study Mike Brown's shoulder and model Clifford's reconstruction on that, given what it did to Itoje.

DOK (IP Logged)
04 December, 2017 13:25
I thought him very impressive. I know the team reorganised a bit for him, but you wouldn't have known we were playing such an inexperienced player. He carried it off with great aplomb (and a few really nice kicks).

Adi Nako (IP Logged)
04 December, 2017 14:16
Why is it that for years our generally excellent academy produced no decent fly halfs, for two to them come along at once?

Scaramouche (IP Logged)
04 December, 2017 14:18
I blame JK.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Quinten Poulsen (IP Logged)
04 December, 2017 14:45
I'm not sure we can take the full credit for Lang. I think he may have been in the EPDG at schools level but didn't he move to north Wales to play after he left school? We obviously didn't think him good enough to join the professional academy at the time. I have a feeling it was Phil Davies who contacted Quins and suggested they look at him, rather than the other way round.

Fearless Fred (IP Logged)
04 December, 2017 14:58
Lang was definitely playing for RGC for a while before he came (back?) to us...

Stooperman (IP Logged)
04 December, 2017 15:44
Just wanted to add my name to the list of fans of Lang.

If we didn't have Marcus, I think we'd all be raving about him.

He plays a fifferent sort of game than MArcus, not quite so much razzle dazzle, but maybe a bit more control.

If we could keep both of them and rotate as necessary I would be a very happy man.

akb1 (IP Logged)
04 December, 2017 15:57
I believe he was with London Irish at some point also.

Fearless Fred (IP Logged)
04 December, 2017 16:07
Little bit of digging:

Was born in Middlesex & involved at Quins at "schoolboy" level, but joined the LI academy (U16/U17). Played for Scotland U18 in '13. Joined RGC for the start of the 2013/14 season & played there during their promotion push into the Welsh Premiership, before joining us in the summer of 2016.

Compared to Smith, he's positively ancient at 22yrs old!

Cookie (IP Logged)
04 December, 2017 16:28
One of the positives that's come out of the injuries has been the discovery that some of our younger players are good enough for the 1XV, something that we might have missed or at least delayed.

Hopefully this in turn will mean we can focus our spending in areas of need rather than needing to spread it more thinly.

Grumpy Bloke (IP Logged)
04 December, 2017 23:31
Really impressed he managed to stay on. It changed the game for me; if he'd gone off after missing the tackle and conceding a try we would've folded like we did against Bath. First live game I've seen him play the whole 80 minutes. His kicking out of hand was excellent (needs to practice his place kicking though), his line breaks were promising (against less defensively astute teams than Sarries he'll be a real running threat) and I thought he distributed well. Dare I say it ? If Catrakilis recovers for the New Year we have good options and variety at No. 10 !! Well worth the ticket money.

poorfour (IP Logged)
05 December, 2017 02:21
Charlie Mulchrone was saying at the pre-season dinner that we had three fly decent halves with very different styles and skill sets. Ironically, itís the two youngsters who are proving themselves (and I also like Lang as a twelve, in the right sort of game), but it bodes well for the future.

DamonQuins (IP Logged)
05 December, 2017 09:23
I think Lang is showing real quality and if he stays fit him and Smith could form a lovely 10,12 axis for many a year to come (crosses fingers and hopes injury or another club don't get them!)

Banstead Quin (IP Logged)
05 December, 2017 11:45
Well I think that's what we have to do, sit Smith & Lang down and say that they are our 10/12 combo for the future and that, subject to form and fitness, will be increasing their game time together, along with some extra shekels.

Show them some love and commitment and that will get their buy-in to staying. Leave them to their own devices and they'll be at Leicester & Bath within 2 years.

Adi Nako (IP Logged)
05 December, 2017 11:50
You say that as if we have a track record of academy players leaving. We aren't London Irish.

Quinten Poulsen (IP Logged)
05 December, 2017 11:55
Meanwhile we can sit Harry Sloan down and tell him the incredible news that Lang has been declared first choice 12 for the next 10 years, as long as he's in form and fit. It'll be also worth mentioning to Saili that he'll only be considered at 13 once he's back fit. Roberts can now be released early from his contract.

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
05 December, 2017 13:53
Meanwhile send the cat back to france with a packet of strepsils.

PQ2 (IP Logged)
05 December, 2017 16:08
..."Other lozenges are also available"

[-Looking for a pun based on Hall's Mentho-Lyptus, but nothing's coming. Sorry.
Us punsters have changed our Tunes, haven't we?]

Scaramouche (IP Logged)
05 December, 2017 16:43
Quote:
RodneyRegis
Meanwhile send the cat back to france with a packet of strepsils.

Rodders! You made oi larff!!

Illegitimi non carborundum

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
05 December, 2017 17:58
Quote:
PQ2
..."Other lozenges are also available"

[-Looking for a pun based on Hall's Mentho-Lyptus, but nothing's coming. Sorry.
Us punsters have changed our Tunes, haven't we?]

No puns? Must have been a menthol block...

Mayor West (IP Logged)
05 December, 2017 18:58
When the Cat gets back on the pitch and is facing a tight defence I'm sure he can un Lockett.

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
05 December, 2017 20:24
Maybe one of Nev's mates could get a mention... As a Fisherman's Friend?

Mayor West (IP Logged)
05 December, 2017 21:31
If he Potters about too much we won't be flicking any victory Vs.

This Thread has been closed
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net