rugbyunion
Latest News:

Quinssa WebsiteQuins News from News NowQuins Official Site

Roadmap Perspective
GP2110 (IP Logged)
04 December, 2017 09:12
After GW7, I posted noting that, according to the Roadmap, we needed 1 point from our next 3 games to be on course for 6th.

As at GW10, we are now 3 points ahead of a projected 6th and 1 point short of a projected 4th.

The season hasn't been brilliant but we have had some tough games and the Roadmap shows that we are certainly not a million miles away. In a league where anyone can beat anyone on their day, we shouldn't expect to win all games but there is a long way to go this season.

COYQ

Re: Roadmap Perspective
Cookie (IP Logged)
04 December, 2017 09:21
I struggle to understand how we're 1 point from a projected 4th with a .500 record.

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
04 December, 2017 09:59
Possibly played the tougher teams away from home in first half of season?

Adi Nako (IP Logged)
04 December, 2017 10:09
Our remaining away games are:

Falcons
Sale
Tigers
Saracens
Gloucester
Worcester

We are generally terrible at Wembley but decent at Welford road. The Gloucester game would have looked far less intimidating before the premiership started.

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
04 December, 2017 11:32
The roadmap shows us needing 25 in first half and 39 in second hald of season, so perhaps we really have just had a shocking run of games.

poorfour (IP Logged)
04 December, 2017 11:55
You can't get through a season without losses, but you try to keep it to away games against teams in the top 6 to top 8 of the table.

Basically, job one in the AP is to win your home games. Job two is to pick up bonus points where you can, and job three is to win away games against the teams in the bottom third of the table.

If you can do all that, that's 16 games and you're in with a good shout at top 6 or even top 4. In 2011-12 I think we won 17 and were comfortably at the top of the table. Conversely, if you lose a home game, you need to compensate with winning away against a better team. If you can't win games, you need to accumulate bonus points.

I think I noted when I put the roadmap together that we had a tough AI period with away games against some difficult teams, but a much gentler run in to the end of the season than we have had for a long time.

So in terms of the points we need to pick up to be in with a shout at the end of the season, we've done OK - especially considering the horrendous injury list. If we can keep a consistent set of players healthy between now and the end of the season, I think we've still got a good chance of top 4 or top 6 - but there's a sense of the order changing. Gloucester are looking more like contenders, and Sarries are now on a serious wobble that could tip into a slump.

(As an aside, it's interesting how little penetration they had without Billy V to punch holes. They made a few good half breaks but the Quins cover defence was good enough to snuff them out).

DOK (IP Logged)
04 December, 2017 13:22
I was just looking at the roadmap (under "Articles" in the menu on the left). I like to use it to dispel some of the hysteria that floats around when, say, we might be 10th in the table. I mean, had things gone to plan and we lost to Saracens with no LBP, it says we'd have been a single point off being on target for 6th place.

Beat Newcastle next week with a TBP and we'll be slap on plan for a top four finish at the half way stage of the season. Given our injury figures, that's surely a good place to be?

Fearless Fred (IP Logged)
04 December, 2017 15:29
Quote:
DOK
I was just looking at the roadmap (under "Articles" in the menu on the left). I like to use it to dispel some of the hysteria that floats around when, say, we might be 10th in the table. I mean, had things gone to plan and we lost to Saracens with no LBP, it says we'd have been a single point off being on target for 6th place.
Beat Newcastle next week with a TBP and we'll be slap on plan for a top four finish at the half way stage of the season. Given our injury figures, that's surely a good place to be?

If we beat Newcastle next week, it'll be incredible, seeing how we're also playing Ulster on Sunday! (Sm100)

GP2110 (IP Logged)
04 December, 2017 15:40
Quote:
DOK

My point exactly.

Dark Pies (IP Logged)
04 December, 2017 22:00
Like the positivity. But what are the chances of all the senior players schlepping up to Newcastle on 23rd Dec and/or Quins actually turning up with an intense performance rather than bellies full of Turkey and a coachload of hangovers?

It's just the sort of fixture our guys don't seem able to get fired up for! We can but hope...

Bolly-Quin (IP Logged)
04 December, 2017 22:42
Quote:
Dark Pies
Like the positivity. But what are the chances of all the senior players schlepping up to Newcastle on 23rd Dec and/or Quins actually turning up with an intense performance rather than bellies full of Turkey and a coachload of hangovers?
It's just the sort of fixture our guys don't seem able to get fired up for! We can but hope...

You're right - we'll lose by 20pts. At least. Based on our inability to follow up any win by another one...

If anything is certain with Quins' results this year, is their uncertainty: so I wouldn't rule anything out!

Quins by 6, v Newquay Browns...

DOK (IP Logged)
05 December, 2017 00:30
My point is it's not that bad. According to the roadmap we need 25 points to be on target for 6th at the halfway stage. If we lose at Newcastle with a LBP, that's exactly where we'll be. And given our injuries, I'd say we're doing well to be hanging in there. With the promise of an improved defence for the rest of the season, and a number of returning injured players, we ought to put in a better second half performance than first half of the season. If we do that, then top six must be possible, with the hope of top four.

fandg2 (IP Logged)
05 December, 2017 10:45
Quote:
DOK
.... I like to use it to dispel some of the hysteria that floats around when, say, we might be 10th in the table.

Made me smile and great comment, hopefully this thread will highlight the roadmap a bit more such there's less 'hysteria' on these boards ;-)

Scaramouche (IP Logged)
05 December, 2017 16:11
+1

Illegitimi non carborundum

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
06 December, 2017 07:39
Perhaps somebody ought to do a relative table accounting for difficulty of matches.

Cookie (IP Logged)
06 December, 2017 09:50
What would you put down for London Irish on a neutral ground??!! (Sm111)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net