rugbyunion
Latest News:

Quinssa WebsiteQuins News from News NowQuins Official Site

Luke Pierce & TMO
Kent Fan (IP Logged)
04 December, 2017 12:15
I’d love to know why there was no referral on our hookers try attempt by LP!

The impression was that because too many Quins players were appealing, he dismissed “Kev” Horwill,s request to review.

That could have cost us the game when it seemed to show the ball was down. Mike Brown was right there with LP & appeared to appeal “it must be a try as he’s over the line”

Poor display by ref / TMO team

Re: Luke Pierce & TMO
DOK (IP Logged)
04 December, 2017 13:09
The commentary team were convinced it was a try having watched the replays. Well, let's hope he gets marked down on that at the ref's performance review. That said, get the distinct impression refs have been "encouraged" to use the TMO less.

talkshowhost86 (IP Logged)
04 December, 2017 13:21
If his aim was to use the TMO less, then fair enough, but surely in that case he should have given the try?

Looked much more like a try than not, so was very odd to just completely rule it out.

T-Bone (IP Logged)
04 December, 2017 13:45
He seemed determined not to use the TMO. I think that's fair enough if he was right on the spot and completely certain, but I'm not convinced he was. I thought Sarries were incredibly lucky not to have a player binned when we were camped on their line for so long. I can't help but feel that had it been another team, or had the roles been reversed, a card would have been shown. Thankfully I can moan about the ref without it being sour grapes

Stooperman (IP Logged)
04 December, 2017 15:50
Elia was pretty incensed when "Sir" didn't review that, in fat I think he might have used some intemperate language - because Mike Brown had to drag him away.

I also find it sloghtly odd that he didn't even appear to warn Sarries after 4 or 5 cynical offences when we were camped on their line. I hope he gets a black mark in his review for this.

Fearless Fred (IP Logged)
04 December, 2017 16:00
To be fair, he *did* warn Sarries during that period in the first half where we were on their line for a few minutes. They were lucky that one of the infringements was classed as an individual offence rather than a team offence. He also said a while later that they were still on a warning about offside and interference at line-outs that the next offender would go.

I think he was wrong to not go upstairs to check Elia2s try. As it seems to most (including the commentary team) that it *was* a try. I think he was a bit peed off that he had a number of Quins players all asking for it, and decided to put his foot down. Afterwards, he told Kev "I'll talk to you. I won't talk to everyone running up to me" or words to that effect. He also told off Farrell sometime around the second Walker try for being gobby, along the lines of "Say things like that again and you're leaving the field".

Cookie (IP Logged)
04 December, 2017 16:03
As FF says, he did put them on a final warning. The first try was scored on a penalty advantage. If Charlie hadn't have scored, they would have gone down to 14. Probably should have anyway as they did offend, regardless of the score.

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
04 December, 2017 17:06
There was a blatant high tackle in the middle of the pitch 2 metres out which was seen by the whole north stand, and replayed, when they were on a final warning.

Stooperman (IP Logged)
04 December, 2017 17:10
Thanks for the info about the final warning.

You are right, he did give them a final warning & then the back line strayed offside and he gave a penalty with no further sanction. Dallaglio's interpetation was that it was the forwards who had offended erlier & this time it was the backs so a different set of warnings? Odd but hey.

And looking at Elia's effort on the TV now, it really does look like he scored. Not just a TMO "lets have a look", he does appear to have rolled in the tackle and grounded the ball on the line. Poor reffing.

Mayor West (IP Logged)
04 December, 2017 17:21
Surely you all know by now that when we score a try we are denied a TMO and its disallowed but when the oppo scores a very dubious one it is given without a TMO. This happens again and again, several times this season already.

johnlid (IP Logged)
04 December, 2017 17:56
Quote:
Stooperman
Thanks for the info about the final warning.
You are right, he did give them a final warning & then the back line strayed offside and he gave a penalty with no further sanction. Dallaglio's interpetation was that it was the forwards who had offended erlier & this time it was the backs so a different set of warnings? Odd but hey.

And looking at Elia's effort on the TV now, it really does look like he scored. Not just a TMO "lets have a look", he does appear to have rolled in the tackle and grounded the ball on the line. Poor reffing.

According to ref link he made a distinction between the continued infringement by the forwards and the back who infringed. He then said the final warning still applied. Not that it made much difference

Dark Pies (IP Logged)
04 December, 2017 21:49
There was also an incident when Merrick charged down a kick and the ref gave a knock-on against us saying 'i didn't see a kick'. Either the AR or TMO then immediately said 'it was definitely a kick Luke!' on the radio.... and he ignored it and gave Sarries the scrum.

Also a little later Sarries knocked on, the ball bounced in the reverse direction away from the nearest Quins player (who didn't touch it) and the ref gave a scrum for knock on to Sarries...no comment from the AR who was looking straight at it ....and subsequently took so much abuse from the crowd he actually turned to the East stand and mouthed something along the lines of "hiss off!"

Very tough game to ref to be fair with a load of internationals, esp. Faz, being a bit chatty. But definitely multiple errors against us so little sympathy with Sarries for the high tackle that wasn't....and anyway they gave away yet another penalty advantage for the winning try!!

Great win #COYQ

DOK (IP Logged)
05 December, 2017 00:35
Well Roy Maybank took it well when I shouted to one of the people with "MEDIC" on his back... "Oi, Medic! If you see the touch judge, can you check his eyes?"

QuickerQuin (IP Logged)
05 December, 2017 05:28
Quote:
DOK
Well Roy Maybank took it well when I shouted to one of the people with "MEDIC" on his back... "Oi, Medic! If you see the touch judge, can you check his eyes?"

I heard that! You must sit near me?

Kent Fan (IP Logged)
05 December, 2017 08:29
Are the assessor’s marks for the ref Confirmed to the clubs.

LP had a poor game all round - to be fair line outs by both sides seemed to be let go, feeds at scrum were crooked by both and Sarries repeated infringements in 22 not carded.

Fully appreciate it was a very prickly game with a fair amount of niggle.

The Comment above that refs are starting to use the TMO less seems strange mid season. The referral procedure and the TMO interventions have helped to keep defences “honest”. Sunday was an example of a defence continually infringing as they were not sanctioned. The warnings LP gave but didn’t enforce encouraged Sarries to keep playing on the edge.

If a yellow card had been (or is) used early on teams will limit their infringements and attacking teams will be rewarded.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net