rugbyunion
Latest News:

Quinssa WebsiteQuins News from News NowQuins Official Site

Put on your best clothes at Big Game 10...
Fearless Fred (IP Logged)
05 December, 2017 11:17
Cos we's gonna be on da telly!

Yes, it turns out that Channel 5 have decided one of their 5 live Premiership games that they're going to show on FTA is Big Game 10. Nice to be one of the first teams in ages to be on free to air TV.

Re: Put on your best clothes at Big Game 10...
Adi Nako (IP Logged)
05 December, 2017 11:51
Excellent news.

NicoWilson (IP Logged)
05 December, 2017 12:26
I wonder how BT Sport feel about this

DazzaS (IP Logged)
05 December, 2017 13:26
Quote:
NicoWilson

BT Sport agreed 5 matches a season to be on terrestial to grow the game. It is simulcast so they are using BT Sport's feed. They will surely get credited for it so publicity for them.

Harlequins amy be concerned because it could affect ticket sales. Particularly for the casual and away supporter. Why make the effort to Twickenham when can watch it from comfort of your own home on terrestrial?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/2017 13:56 by DazzaS.

Scaramouche (IP Logged)
05 December, 2017 16:21
Oh no, not the casual supporter.....(Sm100)

Illegitimi non carborundum

05 December, 2017 16:48
Given how the club have already announced 55k tickets sold & on the way to a potential full house, I doubt they're too concerned. They're on track for getting a good attendance.

I think this is excellent news, having club rugby back on free to air, even if only 5 games this season. The casual rugby fan will no doubt tune in to the 6 Nations & cheer on their nation, but will probably have no specific club allegiance. Having a few big games (no pun intended) from the club level on TV should help to garner interest and potential support from such people for clubs that they might be fairly local t, & help to grow the domestic game, and could see the game develop not just at Premiership level but Championship & lower levels too. As it stands, RU (and indeed RL) is a much cheaper sport for TV companies than Football is, in terms of broadcast rights. They have the chance to build decent relationships with FTA broadcasters that would be too pricey if it were football. The 6 Nations regularly gets great viewing figures. If the game can hook into that interest at a club level, it could be the foundations on the game becoming a "proper" second sport for the country...

Scaramouche (IP Logged)
05 December, 2017 17:26
Throw in the Ladies game and the prospects for growing the sport are even better.

At the moment a FTA contract to cover the Tyrells Premiership would come at a decent price.

blucherquin (IP Logged)
05 December, 2017 19:45
Quote:
NicoWilson

Completely fine because it was part of a deal they negotiated to have the rights,

Brown Bottle (IP Logged)
06 December, 2017 13:43
Quote:
Scaramouche
Throw in the Ladies game and the prospects for growing the sport are even better.
At the moment a FTA contract to cover the Tyrells Premiership would come at a decent price.

Absolutely! About a tenner, I reckon.

BB

GP2110 (IP Logged)
06 December, 2017 13:56
Quote:
Scaramouche

Based on?

Any idea what the attendance was for the Quins v Saracens ladies match? Just curious given it was a sellout for the men's game so no excuse for a low number.

DOK (IP Logged)
06 December, 2017 16:26
That's a curious remark "no excuse". It was a Sunday. Not everyone can spend the afternoon and evening watching live rugby. Some people don't like the women's game - no really! Some of us had work the next day and things to do before then. etc...

GP2110 (IP Logged)
06 December, 2017 16:52
Fair point.

Any idea on what the attendance was?

Only Joe Quin (IP Logged)
06 December, 2017 17:04
I haven't seen any figures from the club but I was there and would say it was well under 2,000.

06 December, 2017 17:23
Quote:
GP2110
Quote:
Scaramouche

Based on?

Any idea what the attendance was for the Quins v Saracens ladies match? Just curious given it was a sellout for the men's game so no excuse for a low number.

If it had been a Saturday with Normal train service, I would've stayed or the second game. However, as a Sunday evening where the line from Staines to Reading was closed meaning I had a 2.5 to 3 hour journey back as it was, I wasn't able to to plan on the potential of getting home around 11pm on a Sunday night. I hope if they do another double header like this, they consider holding it on a Saturday, and potentially having the women's game first so people who arrive early (as a lot do) can watch the game before the men's teams take to the pitch later on...

blucherquin (IP Logged)
06 December, 2017 20:51
Quote:
Fearless Fred
Quote:
GP2110
Quote:
Scaramouche

Based on?

If it had been a Saturday with Normal train service, I would've stayed or the second game. However, as a Sunday evening where the line from Staines to Reading was closed meaning I had a 2.5 to 3 hour journey back as it was, I wasn't able to to plan on the potential of getting home around 11pm on a Sunday night. I hope if they do another double header like this, they consider holding it on a Saturday, and potentially having the women's game first so people who arrive early (as a lot do) can watch the game before the men's teams take to the pitch later on...

Absolutely agree with this - same goes with England at HQ. If the womenís games were first Iíd love to watch and support - just canít sustain being out that long post 5pm if Iíve been given a day pass. Kids bath and bed beckons.

TW Quin (IP Logged)
06 December, 2017 22:16
It was too much for us and many others to watch 2 games on the trot - kids certainly and many adults just donít have the attention span. Sorry but a nice warm bar and a rock band would have tempted us to celebrate the win over Sarries but we just went home. Put the ladies on before or on a day of their own.

poorfour (IP Logged)
06 December, 2017 23:36
Ditto. I would have loved to support the womenís game, but my kids had been going since 8.30 playing and watching rugby and just didnít have the patience to have a fourth stint at an evening game.

I would prefer if they played the womenís games first, as we could happily take our seats and watch at least some of the game

Scaramouche (IP Logged)
07 December, 2017 01:14
Quote:
GP2110
Quote:
Scaramouche

Based on?

a) Attendances

b) Small but growing interest in Womens Rugby

c) Novelty value

d) Not everyone finds the Womens game not worth watching

e) 50% of the population are female

f) 100% of our children are strongly influenced by their mothers

bored now but u c wot i meen

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net