rugbyunion
Latest News:

Quinssa WebsiteQuins News from News NowQuins Official Site

Quins .v. Ulster match thread
MrOther (IP Logged)
10 December, 2017 12:29
Nobody started this thread yet? Can’t be that eveyone’s at the game, cos the stands are half empty on the TV.

COYQ

Re: Quins .v. Ulster match thread
Bolly-Quin (IP Logged)
10 December, 2017 12:31
There were more at Saints last night - JM out!

MrOther (IP Logged)
10 December, 2017 12:35
Can’t tell the shirts apart in this weather. Both red with white spots.

MrOther (IP Logged)
10 December, 2017 12:38
Sinkler offside.

0-3

Fearless Fred (IP Logged)
10 December, 2017 12:57
Robshaw has failed his HIA after a collision of heads. White on for the rest of the game.

MrOther (IP Logged)
10 December, 2017 12:58
Robshaw HIA. Not coming back.

raedarius (IP Logged)
10 December, 2017 13:00
Someone wake the referee up please.

MrOther (IP Logged)
10 December, 2017 13:06
0-8 (25 min)

miami mike (IP Logged)
10 December, 2017 13:23
Quote:
raedarius
Someone wake the referee up please.
he is noticeably only looking for offences from quins. Ulster offside and obstructing at will.

rpm (IP Logged)
10 December, 2017 13:27
Shocking performance from the Ref so far

miami mike (IP Logged)
10 December, 2017 13:38
7th scrum half now on

10 December, 2017 13:46
Well done! Try by the Sinck, not converted.

miami mike (IP Logged)
10 December, 2017 13:47
sinkler from a foot. 5 - 8

10 December, 2017 13:50
Care off permanently after failing his HIA. Prior on for the duration.

MrOther (IP Logged)
10 December, 2017 13:50
Quote:
Fearless Fred
Well done! Try by the Sinck, not converted.

My feed evidently has a fat delay. Watching “live” but the missed conversion was reported here before I got to see it!

Rocker (IP Logged)
10 December, 2017 13:53
Ref is shocking. No warning to ulster after 3/4 penalties on their try line!

raedarius (IP Logged)
10 December, 2017 14:05
For those of you at the match, you are missing possibly the worst bt commentary to date. Each one with such a clear preference to one team or the other that they might as well be on different audio channels.

MrOther (IP Logged)
10 December, 2017 14:07
5-11 (61 min)
5-14 (68 min)

Roaming Quin (IP Logged)
10 December, 2017 14:11
Our maul is terrible. Too wide and no go forward. Ulster are the better team.

thomh (IP Logged)
10 December, 2017 14:13
Referee screaming release at Ulster player in ruck, then gives a knock on rather than penalty when it goes forward off that player's hand in the ruck. Bizarre.

rpm (IP Logged)
10 December, 2017 14:16
Do Quins do any attack practice - basic schoolboy stuff with zero penetration- sad days

Months KYT (IP Logged)
10 December, 2017 14:17
Truly awful game . Clearly one swallow does not make a summer

talkshowhost86 (IP Logged)
10 December, 2017 14:44
Sadly showing that the Sarries game was, yet again, a one off.

We are a very average rugby team.

miami mike (IP Logged)
10 December, 2017 14:19
5 17 ft. the slightly less disinterested average injury hit side won.

MrOther (IP Logged)
10 December, 2017 14:19
5-17 (FT)

Rocker (IP Logged)
10 December, 2017 14:46
Quote:
talkshowhost86
Sadly showing that the Sarries game was, yet again, a one off.
We are a very average rugby team.

Average? That's very kind. Utter dross again....

MrOther (IP Logged)
10 December, 2017 14:22
Snow was the most interesting element of the game today.

WellingQuin (IP Logged)
10 December, 2017 14:23
Looked completely clueless. How we can go from the performance against Saracens to that mess?

Quinten Poulsen (IP Logged)
10 December, 2017 14:25
Quins played like a team who'd lost their first two fixtures. Disappointing to see a fairly half-hearted effort but not terribly important in the grander scheme. Well done Ulster.

raedarius (IP Logged)
10 December, 2017 14:26
Ferris has just beaten Monye in the 2017 most biased commentator final. A close one, obviously, but his ability to change any discussion of a Quins topic to praise for Ulster was the decider for me.

10 December, 2017 14:53
The real shame is that we don’t have a B Team to play in the next 3 dead rubbers.

MrOther (IP Logged)
10 December, 2017 14:32
Quote:
Quinten Poulsen
Quins played like a team who'd lost their first two fixtures. Disappointing to see a fairly half-hearted effort but not terribly important in the grander scheme. Well done Ulster.

Yes, that's my thought too.

Let's get next weekend out of the way and then we can get on with the important business back in the premiership.

However mild the knocks to Danny Care and Chris Robshaw, they should both be declared unfit to play next week.

Heath Quinn (IP Logged)
10 December, 2017 14:41
I have to question either our players or our coaches ability on a driving maul and on Smith standing so deep only to take the ball standing still, then ship it on to a static Roberts?

Result, no consistent go forward from either the forwards or the backs. We were lucky the weather was so poor otherwise we'd have lost by a lot more.

10 December, 2017 14:58
I reckon our maul has possibly been the weakest in the prem for at least 3 seasons now. It's bizarrely poor. Not a good reflection on Rowntree.

10 December, 2017 15:28
Quote:
Quinten Poulsen
I reckon our maul has possibly been the weakest in the prem for at least 3 seasons now. It's bizarrely poor. Not a good reflection on Rowntree.

True.

Even the outsider appears to have been affected by our coaching malaise.

Months KYT (IP Logged)
10 December, 2017 15:02
On another matter . Has Kingston got the fattest heed in rugby ?

ArchQuin (IP Logged)
10 December, 2017 15:38
Utter rubbish - the match and especially Quins - a dead rubber or not that is no excuse for that kind of performance - from feeling on a high from last week, back to reality and our season 😎

10 December, 2017 16:36
Quote:
ArchQuin
Utter rubbish - the match and especially Quins - a dead rubber or not that is no excuse for that kind of performance - from feeling on a high from last week, back to reality and our season 😎

It wasn’t, or shouldn’t have been, a dead rubber.

If, and it looked like they did, they treated it like a dead rubber then everyone involved should be embarrassed.

DOK (IP Logged)
10 December, 2017 16:12
I said a while back we had a better driving maul, and defended better against driving mauls, under JK. This was surely ideal weather to use Jamie Roberts as a hammer to smash through the Ulster defence. Instead, I only knew he was playing when the commentators mentioned him doing some sprints in an injury period. Reckon he's looking after Jamie Roberts for next season.

Dave L (IP Logged)
10 December, 2017 16:24
From the off we just didn’t look like we were that bothered. We just looked a bit dopey and slow witted. Really the complete opposite to last weekend. Didn’t enjoy the Ulster cheerio chants at the end. Thought that was very football.

Bolly-Quin (IP Logged)
10 December, 2017 16:36
We didn’t look interested whereas Ulster looked like they had something to play for (other than form) and they bought a tight, abrasive wet weather game and beat us.

Disappointing performance, because consistency is what is required. Alofa looked like he hadn’t seen snow before. Marler and Sinckler gave away too many penalties.

Rest 50:50 players next weekend and make sure team for Newcastle know they must win, followed by win against similarly troubled Saints.

TitusQuin (IP Logged)
10 December, 2017 17:47
Quote:
Quinten Poulsen

He was in charge of the England pack that had a depowered scrum and maul at the last World Cup. I haven’t seen our maul cause problems for 2/3 years now.

RleQuin (IP Logged)
10 December, 2017 17:29
Normal service has been resumed (Sm119)
RleQ

blucherquin (IP Logged)
10 December, 2017 17:55
Total bollocks if you’re slagging off that performance, assume you weren’t there.

50/50 and we just couldn’t hold onto the ball and had lots of rubbish decisions against us.

A fair win for Ulster but could have gone either way until then end.

blucherquin (IP Logged)
10 December, 2017 17:58
Quote:
Months KYT
On another matter . Has Kingston got the fattest heed in rugby ?

Off to football with you

10 December, 2017 18:44
Quote:
blucherquin
Total bollocks if you�re slagging off that performance, assume you weren�t there.
50/50 and we just couldn�t hold onto the ball and had lots of rubbish decisions against us.

Yes not being there made it a very different game for those of us who watched it on tv.

It was a poor performance. Ulster weren’t great as they’ve been all season. They were a better mediocre team than we are.

Who was there and who wasn’t doesn’t change it.

Heath Quinn (IP Logged)
10 December, 2017 18:51
Quote:
blucherquin
Total bollocks if you’re slagging off that performance, assume you weren’t there.
50/50 and we just couldn’t hold onto the ball and had lots of rubbish decisions against us.

You are John Kingston and I claim my five pounds.

But as everyone else could see we were a distant 2nd place, and deserved what we got.

ArchQuin (IP Logged)
10 December, 2017 19:06
Blucher - total bollocks indeed - you speak it well !

RleQuin (IP Logged)
10 December, 2017 19:36
Quote:
blucherquin

I wasn't there and watched on telly which means I had a better view than you.
We returned to the usual inability to score in the red zone and sloppy play.
I don't care how well or badly Ulster played, we were not good.
The victory over Sarries will be the highlight of the season again!
RleQ

Quaking Quin (IP Logged)
10 December, 2017 22:32
I was there.

Quins had less possession and played most of the second half in their own half, particularly the final quarter. Poor game management?

They consistently lost territory in the aerial battle.

Poor decision-making with kickable penalties in front of the opposition sticks. Twice Quins declined 3 easy points and the opportunity to reduce arrears to less than 7 points and knick the game at the death.

Quins bossed the line-outs against a shorter Ulster pack - but went to pieces within 10 metres of the Ulster try line.

Bothma good again but no support or intensity from others, who seemed to be going through the motions. Despite the dreadful conditions, another disappointing home result from Quins who needed to win to stay in the competition.

T-Bone (IP Logged)
10 December, 2017 23:08
Well, we conceded fewer than 30 points, so that's something. Our maul in attack is almost as bad as our maul defence

never sleep (IP Logged)
11 December, 2017 05:14
For the Ulster try, it looked as though Marler was hit from behind off the ball.
Did anyone watching on TV see this and did they make anything of it?

Mayor West (IP Logged)
11 December, 2017 07:30
It looked like he was about to pick up the ball and was pushed over in the build up to that one. Later, Bothma chasing down a kick slid into their player who had fumbled and it's a penalty to them. Merrick held off the ball which stopped him tackling letting them run through the gap. Thr trip on Mike Brown as he was clearing the ball from the five metre. Incidentally, how long does a player have to be held up for it to become a maul?

Bolly-Quin (IP Logged)
11 December, 2017 07:38
Bothma needed to stay on his feet (not slide) to challenge for the ball - fair penalty...

Stooperman (IP Logged)
11 December, 2017 07:40
^^

Until the referee says maul, which is very inconsistent and a little infuriating. I remember the BG against Sarries with our favourite Mr Barnes reffing when he seemed to call maul within about a second of our player being tackled, whereas mysteriously Sarries got about 10 seconds to go to ground.

Mayor West (IP Logged)
11 December, 2017 08:04
I know you can't tackle a player on the ground but he had lost control and possession at the time. Was it not a bit like tackling a player just after he's offloaded. On another minor point, has anybody ever seen an orange ball or suchlike being used in snowy conditions or is there no such thing. (Not including the old leather lace up ones)

DOK (IP Logged)
11 December, 2017 09:58
I think once we're missing Horwill, Robshaw and Care then we're always going to struggle.

mighty_quin (IP Logged)
11 December, 2017 10:32
Quote:
Stooperman
^^
Until the referee says maul, which is very inconsistent and a little infuriating. I remember the BG against Sarries with our favourite Mr Barnes reffing when he seemed to call maul within about a second of our player being tackled, whereas mysteriously Sarries got about 10 seconds to go to ground.

Not quite correct.

The maul is formed when the ball carrying player (team A) binds with 1 from either side A and B, therefore there needs to be a minimum of 2 players from team A and 1 from team B to create a maul.

Premiership referees are encouraged to let the situation "breathe" because more often than not they remain dynamic and become tackles/ball on the ground phases (ball on the ground - tackled player, but no "tackler" if they don't go to ground). The powers that be suggest what would be more infuriating is if this was refereed to the technical letter of the law, as there would be far more maul/turnovers and scrums - and I agree with them.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/12/2017 10:34 by mighty_quin.

Navyquin (IP Logged)
11 December, 2017 11:51
Quote:
raedarius
Ferris has just beaten Monye in the 2017 most biased commentator final. A close one, obviously, but his ability to change any discussion of a Quins topic to praise for Ulster was the decider for me.

It was painful to listen to, I would have preferred Stewart Barnes. Ulster could be losing by 40 and according to Ferris they would still be the better team.

Bolly-Quin (IP Logged)
11 December, 2017 12:22
Quote:
Navyquin
Quote:
raedarius

It was painful to listen to, I would have preferred Stewart Barnes. Ulster could be losing by 40 and according to Ferris they would still be the better team.

Quins were not good, but they made Ulster look good, but not as good as Ferris thought they were - I didn't see him, but I bet he was wearing these:-

Ferri-Vision

11 December, 2017 12:36
Ferris was obviously pro Ulster, but I thought that was the point of having him on.

PeterboroughQuin (IP Logged)
11 December, 2017 21:09
I hope all of you who went arrived in plenty of time to get to your seats before the game kicked off and stayed in your seat until the game was over so you didn't disturb the fans around you. I certainly hope none of you got up during the game to get food or drink or use the toilet.

Quaking Quin (IP Logged)
11 December, 2017 21:51
Describes my afternoon perfectly.

Mayor West (IP Logged)
11 December, 2017 22:18
Me too. Oh wait, I did get up at half time to stretch the legs and have a bite to eat and a drink of stuff I took with me. All without leaving my seat area.

11 December, 2017 22:47
I watched at home and was personally outraged that they didn’t play the national anthem at least twice.

I stood up in protest.

Scaramouche (IP Logged)
12 December, 2017 01:21
Did none of you punch anybody ffs?

If at first you don't succeed, Try, Try and Try again.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net