rugbyunion
Latest News:

Quinssa WebsiteQuins News from News NowQuins Official Site

Marcus Smith
10 December, 2017 18:55
Fascinating to see how he develops....i'm not quite in the 'best thing since sliced bread' camp yet.....he seems very fragile and SOME of his decision making is frankly average...he's quick no doubt, but think if he is our No 10 for the next few years we need to build our style and game plan around him.....INTERESTING times ahead!!

Re: Marcus Smith
talkshowhost86 (IP Logged)
10 December, 2017 19:29
I don’t think our plan was to ever have him as our number 1 this season but with the Cat injured and Swiel not looking the part he’s been forced to step up.

In doing so he’s done brilliantly for his age and experience and needs encouragement rather than anything else at this stage.

Yes there are faults in his game as there would be in any teenagers game, let alone someone playing in the most important position on the pitch.

If we can coach him properly, I’ve seen enough to think he can be absolutely world class.

wombles222 (IP Logged)
10 December, 2017 19:23
As a Wasp I would be pleased to have him wearing our shirt, from a supporting perspective I am not sure I can offer higher praise than that!

Fearless Fred (IP Logged)
10 December, 2017 19:25
It's a bit unfair to say Swiel is "not looking the part" when he's basically been injured most of this season as well...

Quaking Quin (IP Logged)
10 December, 2017 19:56
Lack lustre performance from Quins today. No intensity. Bottom of table guaranteed as per usual.

Smith unable to add the spark to whatever gameplan Kingston had for this match. One exquisite kick late on to the Ulster line which the forwards fluffed (yet again).

Think both Lang and Smith are ahead in the fly half pecking order. The Cat has got to be good on his return. Swiel very average and a distant fourth.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/12/2017 20:04 by Quaking Quin.

Dogger_ (IP Logged)
11 December, 2017 00:29
Swiel just seems a bit cocky. He has a swagger about him and a misplaced grin. He needs bigger balls and better performance before either swaggering or grinning.

Smith is exciting to watch and has incredible potential. I almost dont mind watching him make mistakes as you can sometimes feel that he is actively learning from them.

Lang did very well last week and fair play to him because I was worried before the kickoff.

Looking forward to seeing more of the Cat, he seemed OK before taking his sabbatical.

Generally quite positive about 10.

T-Bone (IP Logged)
11 December, 2017 10:43
Not sure why there is this negativity about Swiel. He's looked very promising since he's been with us. A couple of bad injuries, gets moved between 10, 12 and 15, never really had a long run to cement himself. He might have dropped down the pecking order, that that is as much to do with Smith's remarkable rise than with anything Swiel has done wrong.

I'm not saying he's a great 10 or should be 1st choice, but reckon he's a pretty handy option to have.

As for him grinning too much, maybe he's just a happy chap? Not everyone has to look as angry as Brown or as murderous as Kyle

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
11 December, 2017 19:25
Not forgetting Swiel does have some serious pace, and kicks well.

What's wrong with smiling?!

MrOther (IP Logged)
11 December, 2017 19:30
Quote:
Quinky Kin
Not forgetting Swiel does have some serious pace, and kicks well.
What's wrong with smiling?!

Smiling is an African thing. One of the first things which unite white and black Africans. They (we) all smile. It could be a lot LOT worse.

Jammy Git (IP Logged)
11 December, 2017 20:26
Nothing wrong with Swiel's attitude, he's just not very good at 10.

O Fortuna, velut luna statu variabilis,
semper crescis aut decrescis

talkshowhost86 (IP Logged)
11 December, 2017 22:39
Quote:
Jammy Git
Nothing wrong with Swiel's attitude, he's just not very good at 10.

Exactly.

All the nonsense around him smiling/grinning is irrelevant.

But he’s not looked like a 10 in his admittedly few performances, whereas Lang has looked much more like a 10.

Anyway I’m sorry my initial post has started this thread down the Swiel route. My main point is that Smith, despite being 4th choice at the start of the season, has now leapfrogged everyone until someone can show otherwise.

poorfour (IP Logged)
11 December, 2017 23:07
Actually, on a day with less than perfect conditions I would prefer to see Lang at 10 over Smith. If its not a day for running rugby, Langs defence and kicking from hand make him a better choice than Smith right now.

And when we eventually get to see Catrakilis, were going to be able to review our options further.

The talk at the pre-season dinner from Calum Waters was that Quinns now have three very capable fly halves with skill sets that suit different types of game. If we can get them all fit and be able to pick different styles for different games, we will be a much harder team to beat.

Scaramouche (IP Logged)
12 December, 2017 01:24
We will be a much harder team to beat when we don't lose people like one of the Robshaws AND Danny Care early on.

If at first you don't succeed, Try, Try and Try again.

Kent Fan (IP Logged)
12 December, 2017 16:32
Re 3 FH with different skill sets - Not sure the team / squad has shown the ability to change the way they play to accommodate different styles. Would prefer it if the squad could get the defence rock solid first and play a pragmatic game that all 3 are able to adapt to before we make it difficult.

Scaramouche (IP Logged)
12 December, 2017 16:42
Kent Fan I could not agree more. Sort the Defence then the Attack. Don Revie Rools!

If at first you don't succeed, Try, Try and Try again.

Kent Fan (IP Logged)
12 December, 2017 17:33
What is Shaun Edwards up to when not working with Wales?

14 April, 2018 18:06
Just out of interest, how many games have we won with Marcus STARTING? (Not knocking the kid, just genuinely curious - obviously it aint many....because we haven't won many!!!)

plzd (IP Logged)
14 April, 2018 19:50
So it is still jk fault. Yea OK. If the players who come on to replace dc cr are just not good enough they are not good enough and should not be in the squad. Get rid. We have too many who are just not good enough just for instance a hooker and sometime captain who is a disaster at finding his man at the lineout matt lamanu a professional 'athlete' who sports a bigger belly than I do at 60 and many other journey men. the squad is not good enough. We will be 12 next year. This could be the end of the club if ring fencing comes in as has been suggested. But on the bright side the lady team is doing really well and we have loads of players with potential for the future. Zzzzzzzz how wonderful

The Dead Baron (IP Logged)
14 April, 2018 19:52
Um.....

Sorry, wha?

Mayor West (IP Logged)
14 April, 2018 21:41
Perhaps English isn't the first language.

blucherquin (IP Logged)
15 April, 2018 07:44
Just ignore it and itll go away.

plzd (IP Logged)
15 April, 2018 08:26
Smithy has GREAT potential, he is not a top Prem player. The problem is he is usually playing against experienced prem quality players - hence he comes up short in some areas. As usual Quins are keen to go on about how much "potential" we have but potential wins nothing. Sarries and Exe are not successful because they have players with potential. They have a squad of players who are capable and experienced especially in key positions.

MS is no replacement for Nev ( I know he was not brought in on that basis of course) . Cat was badly injured and is having very serious psychological problems due to his brush with death not surprisingly. At that point we should have scoured the planet for a replacement 10 again I know that is not easy and we may well have been unsuccessful but not to do so was a big mistake i think.

I am sick of hearing how much potential we have at the club all this potential may well see us finished as a club if ringfencing comes in. Where will the likes of Smithy go then? What use to me as a Quins fan is that potential then?

I have heard about all the potential that we have for many years now - Charlie Matthews, Hopper, Casson, Sloane, Marfo, Morris, Chisholm x 2, Wallace3, Clifford, and many others who have passed into the rugby wilderness.

I understand that Clifford and J Chisholm have been hampered by injuries but sadly they seem as they are just always going to be on the treatment table so all the so called potential is worthless.

Where has it got us? Nearly bottom and saved from relegation by LI who whilst rubbish have beaten us twice.

With ring fencing as seems probable coming in potential is worthless,we need players who will stop us going to oblivion.

Dave L (IP Logged)
15 April, 2018 08:33
I dont think anyone expected him to play as much as he has needed to and I really dont think it has done him alot of good. However, on the flip side hopefully hell have learnt a fair bit. Hes clearly got a huge amount of talent and in a more confident team, hopefully hell be able to show it more.

I get everyone is annoyed by recent events, I sure as hell am but it does seem every thread is veering way off the topic into a general hyperbolic rant about everything at the club.

blucherquin (IP Logged)
15 April, 2018 10:32
I love the idea that James Chisholm is in the rugby wildernesss - hes 22. Get a grip mate.

plzd (IP Logged)
15 April, 2018 11:06
"I get everyone is annoyed by recent events, I sure as hell am but it does seem every thread is veering way off the topic into a general hyperbolic rant about everything at the club"

Sorry you re correct. I think the utter frustration felt is causing people to vent. Point taken.

"I love the idea that James Chisholm is in the rugby wildernesss - hes 22. Get a grip mate."

We are all entitled to an opinion we do not have to bow to you. You seem incapable of disagreeing with someone else without recourse to childish insults from behind a pc screen.

Happy to have a real chat with a beer after a game sometime where we can discuss properly sometime. and i genuinely wish you all the best as I know that you, like myself are a passionate Quins fan.

I of course accept what you are saying on one level, however this is a player who is much vaunted, has not been fit for 2 seasons same as JC. Not their fault but some players are just unlucky and never reach their "POTENTIAL:" because they are always injured.

My point was that since 2013 I have heard so much about so many players with potential that does not come to fruition at any meaningful level. All the potential I have heard about for so long has resulted in the team and club being a total mess. We do not have enough players who go out and perform at a high level week after week after week after week after week after week.

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
15 April, 2018 12:17
Quote:
blucherquin
I love the idea that James Chisholm is in the rugby wildernesss - hes 22. Get a grip mate.

Well said. Chis is quality.

blucherquin (IP Logged)
15 April, 2018 15:50
Quote:
plzd
"I get everyone is annoyed by recent events, I sure as hell am but it does seem every thread is veering way off the topic into a general hyperbolic rant about everything at the club"
Sorry you re correct. I think the utter frustration felt is causing people to vent. Point taken.

"I love the idea that James Chisholm is in the rugby wildernesss - hes 22. Get a grip mate."

We are all entitled to an opinion we do not have to bow to you. You seem incapable of disagreeing with someone else without recourse to childish insults from behind a pc screen.

Happy to have a real chat with a beer after a game sometime where we can discuss properly sometime. and i genuinely wish you all the best as I know that you, like myself are a passionate Quins fan.

I of course accept what you are saying on one level, however this is a player who is much vaunted, has not been fit for 2 seasons same as JC. Not their fault but some players are just unlucky and never reach their "POTENTIAL:" because they are always injured.

My point was that since 2013 I have heard so much about so many players with potential that does not come to fruition at any meaningful level. All the potential I have heard about for so long has resulted in the team and club being a total mess. We do not have enough players who go out and perform at a high level week after week after week after week after week after week.

I said he wasnt useless and the phrase get a grip.

If thats a childish insult you should hear me after a few pints.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 15/04/2018 16:01 by blucherquin.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net