Quinssa WebsiteQuins News from News NowQuins Official Site

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Re: 40mins to save JK
Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
28 December, 2017 08:47
Quote:
Nev's Left Boot
GQ - your post makes a lot of sense. My issue with all of the 'sack JK' comments are that we have no devine right to be further up the table / win trophies etc.
There are 2 trophies to win (im not counting the AW) - 12 teams in the Prem - 1 winner
20 teams in europe - 1 winner.

So it's not about winning the cups etc - it's about being competitive and seeing an improvement.

I felt that we started the season with a different approach, more pragmatic and built on set piece and territory. This seems to have gone out the window with the injuries etc.

Defence - it isn't good enough and it appears to be based on dominating the tackle (tricky as we have a few smaller players) and not ever missing a tackle, as soon as we do - it is almost a guaranteed try, no matter where the miss takes place.

Attack wise, we rarely throw a set piece move, but do rely on constantly recycling and expecting someone to do something extraordinary to make yards.

Injuries are one thing and they do take a toll, disrupt routines and structures and make defence that little bit trickier but the patterns and structures should still remain, the style and approach should still remain.

For me, the issue is not JK (or not him alone), I feel that he needs to change the group that work under him, identify coaching talent elsewhere and bring it in, to make changes to the way we play. This would show strong leadership and an ability to identify issues and i don't think this is something that can happen mid season, but if he remains and all the other guys do as well, then it will be time for one big clear out.

Shame really... I wonder if, without the injuries it would have grown into something else. The year we won the league we were so lucky to pick pretty much the same XV for the majority of the year....

Well said.

talkshowhost86 (IP Logged)
28 December, 2017 08:48
I don’t think anyone is saying we have a divine right to anything but does anyone truly believe that we have the 9th best squad in the league?

If we were punching at our weight I’d be fine, but we’re not and that’s why I think changes are needed. I agree with your point around injuries as whilst they are disruptive, if the teams knows the systems they should be able to adapt. And we don’t do that.

As to where the changes happen of course JK isn’t solely to blame but if he won’t make those changes, then we need to bring in someone who will. As others have said elsewhere, I just think that this coaching team are far too comfortable and that feeds into the players, and after however many years it’s been, the only way to break that is a completely fresh start.

Scaramouche (IP Logged)
28 December, 2017 10:24
The thing is, the "sack the manager" thing is understandable from frustrated fans but I never see any balance talking about who should come in and why in any sort of detailed way that would make me buy into it.

As I've said before, there will be change as soon as people start voting with their wallets, no doubt at all.

If at first you don't succeed, Try, Try and Try again.

Nev's Left Boot (IP Logged)
28 December, 2017 10:53
Couple of amendments:

9th best squad - In theory, a salary cap means we all have a similar squad - or in other words, fine margins make the difference, the quality in the league has improved and the playing field is more level, everyone can beat everyone else. This is great, but it does mean you can pretty much end up in a scenario where you go from being top 2 to 8th from one season to another, based on form, fixtures, injuries, and call ups....without the coaching etc being to blame.

Taking shots - Totally agree - I have little issue losing rugby games, where we compete and have a go, I hate, hate, hate watching insipid displays where we don't even have a go, I'd rather lose 56-0 and had a go, a real go...than watch the players go through the motions.

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
28 December, 2017 10:56
Quote:
talkshowhost86
I don’t think anyone is saying we have a divine right to anything but does anyone truly believe that we have the 9th best squad in the league?

It's mid-season. Out league position at this point in time doesn't exemplify how good our squad is overall, compared to others. In fact, it doesn't ever show how good our squad is. It shows how well they've performed. At one point this season, I believe we were third in the league; so, (by your logic) were there only two teams with better squads than us at that point?

Mancquin (IP Logged)
28 December, 2017 11:09
Quote:
Scaramouche
The thing is, the "sack the manager" thing is understandable from frustrated fans but I never see any balance talking about who should come in and why in any sort of detailed way that would make me buy into it.
As I've said before, there will be change as soon as people start voting with their wallets, no doubt at all.

If a product is not as good as you had hoped for, you normally can vote with your wallet. But I don't want to watch Sarries or London Irish. Nor do I want to watch Chelsea or QPR, the only teams geographically close to me. The owners of Quins know this and with only one team each year going down, there is not a huge incentive to play better apart from professional pride or the fear of being dropped or fired.
We have conceded a huge number of tries and that is the essence of the problem.
What do they do in the Monday morning meeting?
The video evidence must be there. We leak tries either because players are in the wrong place at the wrong time or because their tackle technique is wrong or both.
Name and shame in the meeting then work on improvement.

Scaramouche (IP Logged)
28 December, 2017 11:22
Quote:
Mancquin
Quote:
Scaramouche

If a product is not as good as you had hoped for, you normally can vote with your wallet. But I don't want to watch Sarries or London Irish. Nor do I want to watch Chelsea or QPR, the only teams geographically close to me. The owners of Quins know this and with only one team each year going down, there is not a huge incentive to play better apart from professional pride or the fear of being dropped or fired.
We have conceded a huge number of tries and that is the essence of the problem.
What do they do in the Monday morning meeting?
The video evidence must be there. We leak tries either because players are in the wrong place at the wrong time or because their tackle technique is wrong or both.
Name and shame in the meeting then work on improvement.

I didn't mean change allegiances at all, just that people will stop going to games if its pants and watch it on TV/Online instead. I would imagine that the Coaches have twigged the rest of what you are saying,tbh.

28 December, 2017 11:58
Quote:
Quinky Kin
Quote:
talkshowhost86

It's mid-season. Out league position at this point in time doesn't exemplify how good our squad is overall, compared to others. In fact, it doesn't ever show how good our squad is. It shows how well they've performed. At one point this season, I believe we were third in the league; so, (by your logic) were there only two teams with better squads than us at that point?

Really not sure it’s worth dignifying that with a response but....

We are 9th having played each team once. We were 3rd having played about 4 games. The comparison is absolutely ridiculous.

kevin (IP Logged)
28 December, 2017 12:05
Quote:
Quinky Kin

We are making slow progress under JK, but it's still progress. Faster progress would be great, but I'm a realist.

I do believe that the final sentence suggests you are far from being a realist. What blummin progress? Good grief!

28 December, 2017 12:07
I do wonder what we’ll do if we lose the next two games against two more bottom half teams.

At that point even the most one-eyed Quins fans will be able to see the direction we're heading in and I wonder if the board will follow suit.

I think the thing that will save JK is that Saints are in an even worse state than us so surely we have to win at Big Stoop.

SiBolton (IP Logged)
28 December, 2017 12:34
Quote:
Nev's Left Boot
GQ - your post makes a lot of sense. My issue with all of the 'sack JK' comments are that we have no devine right to be further up the table / win trophies etc.
There are 2 trophies to win (im not counting the AW) - 12 teams in the Prem - 1 winner
20 teams in europe - 1 winner.

So it's not about winning the cups etc - it's about being competitive and seeing an improvement.

I felt that we started the season with a different approach, more pragmatic and built on set piece and territory. This seems to have gone out the window with the injuries etc.

Defence - it isn't good enough and it appears to be based on dominating the tackle (tricky as we have a few smaller players) and not ever missing a tackle, as soon as we do - it is almost a guaranteed try, no matter where the miss takes place.

Attack wise, we rarely throw a set piece move, but do rely on constantly recycling and expecting someone to do something extraordinary to make yards.

Injuries are one thing and they do take a toll, disrupt routines and structures and make defence that little bit trickier but the patterns and structures should still remain, the style and approach should still remain.

For me, the issue is not JK (or not him alone), I feel that he needs to change the group that work under him, identify coaching talent elsewhere and bring it in, to make changes to the way we play. This would show strong leadership and an ability to identify issues and i don't think this is something that can happen mid season, but if he remains and all the other guys do as well, then it will be time for one big clear out.

Shame really... I wonder if, without the injuries it would have grown into something else. The year we won the league we were so lucky to pick pretty much the same XV for the majority of the year....

Absolute spot on for me, and have to agree I think the same, wont be to everyones cup of tea, but what is

Nev's Left Boot (IP Logged)
28 December, 2017 13:02
Anyone else think Saint's will win at the BG?
It's classic Quns......

Stooperman (IP Logged)
28 December, 2017 13:04
Quote:
talkshowhost86
I do wonder what we’ll do if we lose the next two games against two more bottom half teams.
At that point even the most one-eyed Quins fans will be able to see the direction we're heading in and I wonder if the board will follow suit.

I think the thing that will save JK is that Saints are in an even worse state than us so surely we have to win at Big Stoop.

The ready made excuse will be that Saints have had a rocket up the backside & came out firing at Twickenham & that we never do well at Sale, particularly in the middle of winter when the conditions don't suit our running game blah blah blah.

For what its worth, I think we will beat Saints at Twickenham, after that I don't see more than another 3-4 wins this season. We're awful on the road (miraculous Ricoh win excepted), and we're not good enough to beat Exeter at home, & I have a feeling Wasps will fancy their chances of revenge at The Stoop.

The LV might give us a chance of silverware though, stranger things have happened!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 28/12/2017 13:05 by Stooperman.

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
28 December, 2017 13:09
Quote:
kevin
Quote:
Quinky Kin

We are making slow progress under JK, but it's still progress. Faster progress would be great, but I'm a realist.

I do believe that the final sentence suggests you are far from being a realist. What blummin progress? Good grief!

Kevin, numbers may not be your strong point, but I'll indulge you...

We finished 6th last season; the season before, it was seventh. Like others, you may not see that as an improvement. No matter how we finished sixth, we finished sixth. We also managed to get into the senior European competition; that may not be to everyone's liking, as we've performed badly in it. But the gist of it being the "senior" competition is that it's for what are deemed to be the "better" teams in their respective qualifying competitions; that includes us.

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
28 December, 2017 13:12
Quote:
talkshowhost86

I think that if we lose either, it will be yet more "JK Out". If we win either, or both, it will be a case of "well, we should beat them anyway".

I've said it before, and I'll repeat it: performance must be measured over a season, not after each and every loss.

Stooperman (IP Logged)
28 December, 2017 13:21
Quote:
Quinky Kin
Quote:
kevin
Quote:
Quinky Kin

We finished 6th last season; the season before, it was seventh. Like others, you may not see that as an improvement. No matter how we finished sixth, we finished sixth. We also managed to get into the senior European competition; that may not be to everyone's liking, as we've performed badly in it. But the gist of it being the "senior" competition is that it's for what are deemed to be the "better" teams in their respective qualifying competitions; that includes us.

So you accept that if we finish 6th it means we are treading water, & anything worse than 6th is evidence of decline?
Or do these numbers only count when they back up your assertions?

28 December, 2017 14:20
We all know the answer to that Stooperman.

It’s all about league position until the league position doesn’t fit the agenda anymore.

Personally I’d be happy with 6th if we’d shown an improvement in performances. Under QKs logic that wouldn’t represent an improvement at all.

Brown Bottle (IP Logged)
28 December, 2017 14:29
Quote:
I've said it before, and I'll repeat it: performance must be measured over a season, not after each and every loss.

I'd have thought a professional team would be measuring performance constantly, regardless of results. I would be disappointed if they are just going through the motions and seeing where we end up.

BB

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
28 December, 2017 14:30
Quote:
Stooperman
Quote:
Quinky Kin
Quote:
kevin
Quote:
Quinky Kin

So you accept that if we finish 6th it means we are treading water, & anything worse than 6th is evidence of decline?
Or do these numbers only count when they back up your assertions?

Absolutely. 6th place would mean that we haven't improved. It would also mean that we haven't deteriorated. We would have maintained our level. You're getting the hang of this! Unlike some posters...

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
28 December, 2017 14:32
Quote:
Brown Bottle
Quote:

I'd have thought a professional team would be measuring performance constantly, regardless of results. I would be disappointed if they are just going through the motions and seeing where we end up.

Except we're not talking about a team measuring themselves. We're talking about a bunch of armchair experts calling for the head of the DoR, after every defeat.

28 December, 2017 14:40
Quote:
Quinky Kin
Quote:
Brown Bottle
Quote:

Except we're not talking about a team measuring themselves. We're talking about a bunch of armchair experts calling for the head of the DoR, after every defeat.

No that’s your misinterpretation on people who actually look at the performances rather than just the results.

As BB says the more detailed analysis looks at performances. It’s actually the ‘armchair experts’ who are more likely to only look at results.

Quaking Quin (IP Logged)
28 December, 2017 14:39
"So it's not about winning the cups etc - it's about being competitive and seeing an improvement."

Sorry but being 'competitive' means winning not just games but also silverware. How else do Quins remain competitive with Sarries and Exeter?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 28/12/2017 14:40 by Quaking Quin.

DOK (IP Logged)
28 December, 2017 14:40
ermm... by being competitive and seeing an improvement? smiling smiley

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
28 December, 2017 15:55
Quote:
Stooperman
Quote:
talkshowhost86

The ready made excuse will be that Saints have had a rocket up the backside & came out firing at Twickenham & that we never do well at Sale, particularly in the middle of winter when the conditions don't suit our running game blah blah blah.

For what its worth, I think we will beat Saints at Twickenham, after that I don't see more than another 3-4 wins this season. We're awful on the road (miraculous Ricoh win excepted), and we're not good enough to beat Exeter at home, & I have a feeling Wasps will fancy their chances of revenge at The Stoop.

The LV might give us a chance of silverware though, stranger things have happened!

Tinware.

Doubtless we'll win the tinpot which will be more grist to Quinky's mill despite finishing 11th. Did we win silverware last year? An improvement!

Then 10th will be the target for 2018-19...

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
28 December, 2017 16:59
Quote:
RodneyRegis
Quote:
Stooperman
Quote:
talkshowhost86

Tinware.

Doubtless we'll win the tinpot which will be more grist to Quinky's mill despite finishing 11th. Did we win silverware last year? An improvement!

In the blink of an eye, we finished 11th. Who knew the season was over?!

Tell us Rodney, who won the title?

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
28 December, 2017 17:00
Quote:
RodneyRegis
Tinware.

How would you define "improvement"?

blucherquin (IP Logged)
28 December, 2017 17:40
Another thread to enjoy....

You know an argument is a connected series of statements intended to establish a proposition?

28 December, 2017 17:44
Quote:
Quinky Kin
Quote:
RodneyRegis
Tinware.

“To make or become better”.

Do you think the team is better than when JK took over? And before you trot out the move from 6th to 7th please can I ask you for once to get that particular bee out of your bonnet and look at whether you genuinely think the team have got better.

Also whilst we’re doing definitions you might want to look at this one:

Straw Man - an intentionally misrepresented proposition that is set up because it is easier to defeat than an opponent's real argument.

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
28 December, 2017 17:47
Quote:
talkshowhost86
Quote:
Quinky Kin
Quote:
RodneyRegis
Tinware.

“To make or become better”.

Do you think the team is better than when JK took over? And before you trot out the move from 6th to 7th please can I ask you for once to get that particular bee out of your bonnet and look at whether you genuinely think the team have got better.

Also whilst we’re doing definitions you might want to look at this one:

Straw Man - an intentionally misrepresented proposition that is set up because it is easier to defeat than an opponent's real argument.

Then let me ask you a question:

Let's assume we do improve, play better, defend better; but let's imagine other teams also improving, more than we do. This could result in us improving, but maybe being relegated. How would you feel about that?

28 December, 2017 17:55
Well to start with it’s an unlikely situation that we’d improve and 6 other teams would suddenly improve that much more than us, but in this slightly bonkers scenario, if I thought that JK had got the best out of the team (which would be an improvement because he certainly hasn’t done that so far) but it still wasn’t enough then I’d find it hard to blame JK and co. At that point you’d be looking at the resources they were being provided with in the first place.

It’s exactlt the sort of scenario that would show how short sighted your belief we’ve improved based solely on coming 6th last year is. Under your view, in that scenario we should presumably sack everyone?

Stooperman (IP Logged)
28 December, 2017 17:55
Quote:
Quinky Kin

Let's assume we do improve, play better, defend better; but let's imagine other teams also improving, more than we do. This could result in us improving, but maybe being relegated. How would you feel about that?

Its a competition - a league competition. IF you finish lower than you did previously you have not been better, you have been worse. That's all there is to it. Other teams have used their resources better than you have. If you finish last you are the dunce of the class and every one is entitled to laugh and point at you.

Nobody cares is you turn round and say, "yeah but look we did everything better than last year". No you didn't, in evolutionary terms, you're a Dodo.

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
28 December, 2017 18:21
Quote:
Stooperman
Quote:
Quinky Kin

Its a competition - a league competition. IF you finish lower than you did previously you have not been better, you have been worse. That's all there is to it. Other teams have used their resources better than you have. If you finish last you are the dunce of the class and every one is entitled to laugh and point at you.

Nobody cares is you turn round and say, "yeah but look we did everything better than last year". No you didn't, in evolutionary terms, you're a Dodo.

Exactly! "IF you finish lower than you did previously you have not been better, you have been worse." IF you finish higher, you have improved.

Cookie (IP Logged)
28 December, 2017 18:43
It's not all about the results.

How many times this season can you honestly say we played well? I'd say 2 or 3.

The number of times I'd say we've been poor to rubbish is probably three times that. Regardless of all the reasons, this is the real problem.

blucherquin (IP Logged)
28 December, 2017 19:35
Quote:
blucherquin
Another thread to enjoy....
You know an argument is a connected series of statements intended to establish a proposition?

Yep, so obsessed that no one involved can even break away to say no it isnt

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
28 December, 2017 19:41
Quote:
Cookie

The number of times I'd say we've been poor to rubbish is probably three times that. Regardless of all the reasons, this is the real problem.

5th place good, 7th place baaaaaad

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
28 December, 2017 20:18
Quote:
RodneyRegis
Quote:
Cookie

5th place good, 7th place baaaaaad

You said we'd finished 11th?

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
28 December, 2017 20:21
It's funny, I don't remember you calling for cos' head in 2013?

blucherquin (IP Logged)
28 December, 2017 22:52
Yes it is

No it isnt

28 December, 2017 23:30
Quote:
Quinky Kin

Exactly! "IF you finish lower than you did previously you have not been better, you have been worse." IF you finish higher, you have improved.

1. That’s not what he said at all Mr Strawman

2. Nice of you to ask me the question and then pick the response from someone else that fits your agenda.

kevin (IP Logged)
29 December, 2017 08:17
What if our position improves by virtue of the fact that a n other team(s) performance has/have deteriorated? Albeit temporarily! And our stats (tries scored and conceded, losing bonus points etc) have remained the same? Or deteriorated less than others? Then does our higher position indicate improvement? No it does not! Such things should not be that on which we set our standards!

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
29 December, 2017 08:28
Quote:
talkshowhost86
Quote:
Quinky Kin

2. Nice of you to ask me the question and then pick the response from someone else that fits your agenda.

Erm, I responded to someone by quoting his words. How can that not be what he said?

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
29 December, 2017 08:31
Quote:
RodneyRegis
It's funny, I don't remember you calling for cos' head in 2013?

That's no surprise. You've recently forgotten how the Try Bonus Point works, and you've also claimed that we never have injury replacements... Like Tim Molenaar.

Maybe memory isn't your strong suit?

29 December, 2017 08:59
Quote:
Quinky Kin
Quote:
talkshowhost86
Quote:
Quinky Kin

Erm, I responded to someone by quoting his words. How can that not be what he said?

Right I officially give up with you QK.

You literally don’t even try to understand what other people are saying.

On this board there are plenty of pro JK people and plenty of anti JK people but almost all of them will listen to the other sides point of view and will acknowledge when something happens that challenges their opinion. The pro side will accept that there are problems with the coaching and the anti will agree with the plus points when we win.

I think the only two posters who don’t do this are Bish (or whatever he goes by these days) and you.

I will now not waste any more of my time or space on this board responding to your posts. Even the one following this where you post some childish drivel deliberately misinterpreting what I’ve said in some further attempt at what I can now only assume is trolling.

Enjoy 2018 and COYQ.

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
29 December, 2017 09:57
Quote:
talkshowhost86

That's a shame. Just when we'd started to agree on things.

Scaramouche (IP Logged)
29 December, 2017 14:30
Quote:
talkshowhost86
Quote:
Quinky Kin
Quote:
talkshowhost86
Quote:
Quinky Kin

You literally don’t even try to understand what other people are saying.

On this board there are plenty of pro JK people and plenty of anti JK people but almost all of them will listen to the other sides point of view and will acknowledge when something happens that challenges their opinion. The pro side will accept that there are problems with the coaching and the anti will agree with the plus points when we win.

I think the only two posters who don’t do this are Bish (or whatever he goes by these days) and you.

I will now not waste any more of my time or space on this board responding to your posts. Even the one following this where you post some childish drivel deliberately misinterpreting what I’ve said in some further attempt at what I can now only assume is trolling.

Enjoy 2018 and COYQ.

Flounce of the Year 2017 smiling smiley

29 December, 2017 14:49
Quote:
Scaramouche
Flounce of the Year 2017 smiling smiley

Leaping to the defence of your pun partner?

How surprising winking smiley

Scaramouche (IP Logged)
29 December, 2017 14:55
Sort of.. but really just like poking fun at people that don't listen to their own wise words. I don't have your energy for arguing repetitively so I don't join in. What I would say is that you are both as assertive and stubborn as each other tbh. However, I like Slinky and I'm not sure about you yet.

29 December, 2017 15:09
Quote:
Scaramouche
Sort of.. but really just like poking fun at people that don't listen to their own wise words. I don't have your energy for arguing repetitively so I don't join in. What I would say is that you are both as assertive and stubborn as each other tbh. However, I like Slinky and I'm not sure about you yet.

Ah well.

I’m sure I’ll cope.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net