rugbyunion
Latest News:

Quinssa WebsiteQuins News from News NowQuins Official Site

Can't watch this anymore
Spliffmaniac (IP Logged)
23 December, 2017 20:39
I've been lurking on these boards for a few years now without posting. I've been a Quins fan for twenty odd years and today I'm just about ready to stop. They are just so unremittingly dreadful, and have been for such a long time, I can't see why I should waste my time supporting them. Was supposed to be going to the wasps game in February but thought 'Why bother?'. I can watch a team I like (Exeter) from the comfort of home. I wouldn't mind if there was some soul searching going on at the club - even when they were relegated I felt there were good reasons to keep supporting them. But now? Why bother? Sad day for me. Can't bear to watch them anymore.

Re: Can't watch this anymore
longservice (IP Logged)
23 December, 2017 21:21
Falcons fan in peace
You expect to win every game? The Quins underestimated an improving Falcons side at a very windy Kingston Park and could have won easily with a bit more disciple (from Sinkler in particular).

talkshowhost86 (IP Logged)
23 December, 2017 21:35
Quote:
longservice
Falcons fan in peace
You expect to win every game? The Quins underestimated an improving Falcons side at a very windy Kingston Park and could have won easily with a bit more disciple (from Sinkler in particular).

Nobody expects a team to win every game.

We expect our team to perform to their best.

I think our 15 today beats the Newcastle 15 if both are at their best.

But our DOR hasn’t come close to getting the most out of his players. Yours is much better at doing that. With the DORs reversed I think Quins would be at least 2 wins better off.

FBQuin (IP Logged)
23 December, 2017 21:59
Quote:
longservice
Falcons fan in peace

I was listening to the game online with BBC. I think our Falcons friend is right. The commentators were constantly going on about Sinkler doing daft things and ultimately it was our discipline and our defence that cost us. What is happening? Have our coaches lost the dressing room? I have felt this for some time! Our inability to execute a defence system makes me wonder if the players believe in the system!
I know of regular Quins fans who travel distances to home games who are voting with their feet! I will be going game simply because a mate I played Rugby with, has his son in the Saints team and have friends coming with me. Otherwise I would also give it a miss. Other threads on here say we are not advancing as other teams in the Prem are. I agree with that and we will not improve until we get a new coaching team in!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 23/12/2017 22:00 by FBQuin.

TitusQuin (IP Logged)
24 December, 2017 12:44
We have been up to Kingston Park and suffered worse losses in recent years and our record there is awful.
Would everyone on this board be slating the players and coaches if we had won by one point??!
I thought our defence was better yesterday, still issues but a threatening Falcons backline only scored 11 points. Visser gave a non attempt at a one on one tackle which isn’t much to do with whichever system.
It was out bluntness in attack that was dire to watch along with our maul which must be the most ineffective in the league.
A lot can change in a week in sport but we need an overhaul of almost everything.

SiBolton (IP Logged)
24 December, 2017 13:29
Quote:
TitusQuin
We have been up to Kingston Park and suffered worse losses in recent years and our record there is awful.
Would everyone on this board be slating the players and coaches if we had won by one point??!
I thought our defence was better yesterday, still issues but a threatening Falcons backline only scored 11 points. Visser gave a non attempt at a one on one tackle which isn’t much to do with whichever system.
It was out bluntness in attack that was dire to watch along with our maul which must be the most ineffective in the league.
A lot can change in a week in sport but we need an overhaul of almost everything.

Well said, cant remem the last time we had a good result at Kingston park, and it made a change not to shift 30 points
Falcons are improving and for so many to say yesterday was a disaster when we lost by 1 point does make you wonder
We need to change something but I dont know what the answer is, discipline has been poor this season without a doubt and missed tackles is costing us big time
Will finding a new DOR fix all the problems, I seriously doubt it, I understand the desire to pick the big names every time,but its not working some of the lads in Anglo Welsh showed some real desire to play and maybe they need a chance, Sinks temper is a problem much as I like the bloke bu5 examples have to be made

Scaramouche (IP Logged)
24 December, 2017 14:51
SiB stop being common sensible please!

Rodders you p-lonker!

SiBolton (IP Logged)
24 December, 2017 15:12
Quote:
Scaramouche
SiB stop being common sensible please!

Sorry about that, will try harder in future

kevin (IP Logged)
24 December, 2017 15:32
Quote:
SiBolton
Quote:
TitusQuin

Well said, cant remem the last time we had a good result at Kingston park, and it made a change not to shift 30 points
Falcons are improving and for so many to say yesterday was a disaster when we lost by 1 point does make you wonder
We need to change something but I dont know what the answer is, discipline has been poor this season without a doubt and missed tackles is costing us big time
Will finding a new DOR fix all the problems, I seriously doubt it, I understand the desire to pick the big names every time,but its not working some of the lads in Anglo Welsh showed some real desire to play and maybe they need a chance, Sinks temper is a problem much as I like the bloke bu5 examples have to be made

I think both of you are so full of contrary observations and uncertainties about the state of our team and coaching that leads me to believe you havent a clue, yet are determined to back the current regime.

SiBolton (IP Logged)
24 December, 2017 15:39
Ok Kevin, please explain your statement?

kevin (IP Logged)
24 December, 2017 15:47
Just read through your post and fathom it out for yourself. Clue: you state that something needs to change but you dont know what. You then go on to point at several things that need improving!!! But you are not prone to criticise the set up.

SiBolton (IP Logged)
24 December, 2017 15:58
Ok Kevin, whats the answer then?
I dont believe just changing DOR will fix the problems, do you? The problem goes back over a good few seasons not just since JK
Ive stated disciple has been poor, and the missed tackles ( 35 yesterday I believe) is costing us.
And no I dont have the answer, and you havent given one either, so does that mean we both dont have a clue?
Its very easy to throw criticism, but its not so easy to have the solution

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 24/12/2017 16:04 by SiBolton.

Hellequin (IP Logged)
24 December, 2017 16:18
They are unlikely to make any changes before the Big Game as they won't want that to be the big story for the tv coverage.
This January would be the ideal time for a new coaching team to be brought in as we aren't going to be relegated with LI's results making them almost certain to go down so really have nothing to lose if we aren't going to be I the top 4 or 6. This would enable them to identify players to bring in and those that can leave.

Unfortunately unless there is a coaching team available rather than just a DOR I can't see much changing at this time. Given that the general thoughts on here swem to be that we would need to replace JK, Easter and Mapleton at least.

HonkyTonk (IP Logged)
24 December, 2017 16:25
Quote:
SiBolton
Ok Kevin, whats the answer then?
I dont believe just changing DOR will fix the problems, do you? The problem goes back over a good few seasons not just since JK
Ive stated disciple has been poor, and the missed tackles ( 35 yesterday I believe) is costing us.
And no I dont have the answer, and you havent given one either, so does that mean we both dont have a clue?
Its very easy to throw criticism, but its not so easy to have the solution

Isnt discipline withing the squad down to the DOR and coaches though???

SiBolton (IP Logged)
24 December, 2017 16:37
Ok so we get rid of the DOR and all the coaches?
So now we dont just look for a DOR but a whole new set up?

Think your missing my point, yes plenty wrong and has been for sometime, and if we can find the exact reason for the problem we also need to find the fix
We searched for a world class DOR and couldnt find one, what has changed that we can now get one? Oh and various other positions where we have had to recruit internally
Whilst plenty eager to point the finger at JK maybe he did us a favour and said Ill do it when nobody else would

HonkyTonk (IP Logged)
24 December, 2017 16:44
Wasnt saying get rid of the whole lot NOW, my question was about the discipline. As for what would be different now if we looked, I would say nothing if we are not prepared to spend the money!!!

MrOther (IP Logged)
24 December, 2017 16:49
Quote:
SiBolton

Think your missing my point, yes plenty wrong and has been for sometime, and if we can find the exact reason for the problem we also need to find the fix
We searched for a world class DOR and couldnt find one, what has changed that we can now get one? Oh and various other positions where we have had to recruit internally
Whilst plenty eager to point the finger at JK maybe he did us a favour and said Ill do it when nobody else would

... maybe he did us a favour and said Ill do it when nobody else would.

Thats really funny. Thanks.

Cookie (IP Logged)
24 December, 2017 17:05
Quote:
SiBolton

I'm sorry, but it is utter nonsense that there weren't any out there. We wouldn't pay the money. This constant assertion that there are never any DORs available is just ridiculous.

And as for the result, it's not the results that are the problem per se. It's the performances. Losing by a point at Newcastle isn't in itself bad. But the performance was second rate at best. If the players we have had performed adequately, we would have won.

SiBolton (IP Logged)
24 December, 2017 17:15
Its not nonsense, we didnt get one for the money, therefore didnt find one. Didnt say none available!
So whats changed? Have we now got more money ? Or do the world class coached want less money now than when we last looked?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 24/12/2017 17:20 by SiBolton.

Cookie (IP Logged)
24 December, 2017 17:26
So we did find them? You suggested we didn't.

What's changed is that the cheap option isn't working, so time to try something else. I wouldn't have thought someone like Mallinder would be on dramatically more than JK. The problem we have now, however, is the cost of moving on him, Mapletoft (who is every bit as big part of the problem) etc on.

ArchQuin (IP Logged)
24 December, 2017 17:28
So let's just stick with the same then !!!

Bedfordshire Boy (IP Logged)
24 December, 2017 17:41
Quote:
Hellequin
They are unlikely to make any changes before the Big Game as they won't want that to be the big story for the tv coverage.
This January would be the ideal time for a new coaching team to be brought in as we aren't going to be relegated with LI's results making them almost certain to go down so really have nothing to lose if we aren't going to be I the top 4 or 6. This would enable them to identify players to bring in and those that can leave.

Unfortunately unless there is a coaching team available rather than just a DOR I can't see much changing at this time. Given that the general thoughts on here swem to be that we would need to replace JK, Easter and Mapleton at least.

General thoughts?? Same people saying the same old thing.

SiBolton (IP Logged)
24 December, 2017 17:43
Cookie, we didnt find one because we didnt hire one, I dont know how to make it any clearer, I havent suggested we never found anyone to talk to, we just didnt get anyone to take the job from those we talked to
Im not saying we just stick with what we have, Im asking whats changed since the last time we looked?

MrOther (IP Logged)
24 December, 2017 18:01
Quote:
SiBolton
Cookie, we didnt find one because we didnt hire one, I dont know how to make it any clearer, I havent suggested we never found anyone to talk to, we just didnt get anyone to take the job from those we talked to
Im not saying we just stick with what we have, Im asking whats changed since the last time we looked?

Whats changed since the last time we looked is that the good internal candidate has proven to be unsuitable. Now we need to look harder and/or offer more,

24 December, 2017 18:13
Quote:
MrOther
Quote:
SiBolton
Cookie, we didn�t find one because we didn�t hire one, I don�t know how to make it any clearer, I haven�t suggested we never found anyone to talk to, we just didn�t get anyone to take the job from those we talked to
I�m not saying we just stick with what we have, I�m asking what�s changed since the last time we looked?

What�s changed since the last time we looked is that the �good internal candidate� has proven to be unsuitable. Now we need to look harder and/or offer more,

Exactly.

Even if we do believe that JK was the best person we could find after an extensive search, which I doubt anyway, it has surely been proved now that it isn’t working.

So a huge amount has changed since the last time we looked.

Hellequin (IP Logged)
24 December, 2017 18:13
Quote:
Bedfordshire Boy
Quote:
Hellequin

General thoughts?? Same people saying the same old thing.

Defence has been poor:Easter. Tactics not working: JK. poor skills and team coaching: Mapletoft.

Attack seems ok at the moment with Nev but may just be down to Care and Smith moments of genius as most tries have come from their vision and kicks.

HonkyTonk (IP Logged)
24 December, 2017 18:37
I agree about the attack. Barring Smith and Care creating, we have not really looked that dangerous in attack.

Scaramouche (IP Logged)
24 December, 2017 18:58
Hmmm. Just because one makes an assertion (over and over and over again) does not necessarily make it so. It really is just a matter of opinion. What do you think Jammy?

Rodders you p-lonker!

24 December, 2017 19:13
I didn't expect us to win at Newcastle. We only drew at Kingston Park the year we won the Premiership. The Falcons are a decent side now and may finish above us this year.

That said I didn't support promoting Kingston, he isnt in the same league as Richards and O'Shea. He did however get us in to Europe this year and the table is so tight that with a couple of wins we will shoot up the table.

On that basis he deserves the rest of the season, but if we miss Europe this year - I think he should go.

Portquin (IP Logged)
24 December, 2017 20:02
Ill see you in Plymouth and Truro Brixton Quins

New Forest Quin (IP Logged)
24 December, 2017 23:20
Quote:
SiBolton
Quote:
TitusQuin

9-9 Premiership winning season. NEv last minute touchline kick to secure the draw.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 24/12/2017 23:24 by New Forest Quin.

shinehead (IP Logged)
25 December, 2017 08:09
I've been watching for thirty years and will keep on. If trophies mattered, I'd have given up long ago. I want a club which is financially sustainable, values its players and staff and plays the quins way.
If I wanted to trade style and loyalty for debt and trophies I'd move to Coventry or North London.
Merry Christmas and hope for better luck next year.
C O Y Q

Dibden (IP Logged)
25 December, 2017 10:11
One way to judge anybodys value is their value to competitors.Do you think JK and DE would get similar posts at another Prem club?No me neither.

Scaramouche (IP Logged)
25 December, 2017 15:12
Here's a bit of Budgie's history. Can't find Part 1 at the mo.....

[www.independent.co.uk]

Rodders you p-lonker!

Cookie (IP Logged)
25 December, 2017 15:56
Quote:
New Forest Quin
Quote:
SiBolton
Quote:
TitusQuin

9-9 Premiership winning season. NEv last minute touchline kick to secure the draw.

Except it's not all about the result. The performance is as important and yesterday was largely poor (again). That's the main point - we're not playing very good rugby.

Quaking Quin (IP Logged)
26 December, 2017 11:08
Sorry Cookie but in any professional sport it is all about the result.

'Performance' is the crumb of comfort that defeated DoRs are left to talk about.

The reality is that Quins have only won one of their last six games, crashed out of Europe and slid down the AP.

JK cannot afford to lose at HQ on Saturday but it's a venue (and event) where Quins have an undistinguished track record and opponents always seem to treat the game as a cup final.

SiBolton (IP Logged)
26 December, 2017 11:57
Yep very undistinguished record on the field and lets be honest 9th v 10th its hardly going to be a show stopper on Saturday
BUT. Its very good for the bank balance and with it being on terrestrial TV hopefully good for the game
And whilst we arent picking up trophy after trophy and while tickets still get sold, the board are probably not that worried, so doubt it will be another so called Make or break for JK however much some on here wish it to be.

Cookie (IP Logged)
26 December, 2017 12:45
Quote:
Quaking Quin
'Performance' is the crumb of comfort that defeated DoRs are left to talk about.

The reality is that Quins have only won one of their last six games, crashed out of Europe and slid down the AP.

JK cannot afford to lose at HQ on Saturday but it's a venue (and event) where Quins have an undistinguished track record and opponents always seem to treat the game as a cup final.

You're right, of course. But what I'm trying to say is I can stomach a narrow defeat at a tough venue if the home side hadn't been weak and if we'd played well and shown signs of improvement.

Kent Fan (IP Logged)
28 December, 2017 08:26
Can never understand the way commentators refer back to past game results when players are different on both sides. Surely teams dont approach games by saying weve lost to this lot for the past 5 years so we cant win here.

Past results with different players shouldnt influence the current game. At Newcastle even the pitch is different to the majority of past results being referenced.

Movak53 (IP Logged)
28 December, 2017 08:26
Quote:
Spliffmaniac
I've been lurking on these boards for a few years now without posting. I've been a Quins fan for twenty odd years and today I'm just about ready to stop. They are just so unremittingly dreadful, and have been for such a long time, I can't see why I should waste my time supporting them. Was supposed to be going to the wasps game in February but thought 'Why bother?'. I can watch a team I like (Exeter) from the comfort of home. I wouldn't mind if there was some soul searching going on at the club - even when they were relegated I felt there were good reasons to keep supporting them. But now? Why bother? Sad day for me. Can't bear to watch them anymore.

Movak53 (IP Logged)
28 December, 2017 08:42
Now this is my first time on this noticeboard, but after the loss at Newcastle I need to speak out, I have been a supporter for over 20 years and I am thinking of changing my allegiance to Worcester. I think the time has come for Kingston to go. as he gave our players the Christmas break early, such a disaster, the stats and pundits all reports that we should have won the match against Falcons, I think Kingston is planning to sent Quins down like he did once before, god help us if that happens, the Fan base will disappear as fast as possible. You got to also remember that the RFU are planning to lock off the premiership division in 2019/2020, for two years, so if we go down it would be sometime before we had a chance to get back up. We need a new full qualified Coach, and dump Kingston before the disaster happens.

28 December, 2017 08:54
Quote:
Movak53
Now this is my first time on this noticeboard, but after the loss at Newcastle I need to speak out, I have been a supporter for over 20 years and I am thinking of changing my allegiance to Worcester. I think the time has come for Kingston to go. as he gave our players the Christmas break early, such a disaster, the stats and pundits all reports that we should have won the match against Falcons, I think Kingston is planning to sent Quins down like he did once before, god help us if that happens, the Fan base will disappear as fast as possible. You got to also remember that the RFU are planning to lock off the premiership division in 2019/2020, for two years, so if we go down it would be sometime before we had a chance to get back up. We need a new full qualified Coach, and dump Kingston before the disaster happens.

I think this is a tad histrionic.

Whilst I don’t rate JK as a DOR he clearly isn’t ‘planning’ to take us down.

And opting to support another team should never be an option.

Scaramouche (IP Logged)
28 December, 2017 10:27
Wuss fans don't get a good rep on here....

Rodders you p-lonker!

Brown Bottle (IP Logged)
28 December, 2017 13:29
Quote:
Movak53

What a pile of pooh.

BB

Scrumhead (IP Logged)
30 December, 2017 11:29
Is anyone surprised???

To be honest, most Quins fans I know would have expected us to be more or less exactly where we are now.

We are a mid-table side and the middle of the table is very tight with 3 points between Leicester in 6th and us in 9th. Injuries are not an excuse, but we have been hit particularly hard this season and perhaps those 3 points are a reflection of that.

We've been typically inconsistent, with the results against London Irish and Bath being the low points and wins against Wasps (away) and Saracens the obvious high points.

We were never going to be good enough to get out of our group in Europe. Anyone who thought otherwise was either a massive optimist or delusional.

I'm not a huge fan of Kingston, but I think most of his signings have been decent and he was right to move Yarde on.

The coaching is much more of a concern for me. As good a servant as Easter was as a player, our defence is woeful and as defence coach he has to be accountable for that. Mapletoft has never been good enough.

In summary - nothing has changed. Anyone who has been a Quins fan for more than five minutes will know that this is Quins. Yes it's frustrating, yes it's disappointing at times, but it's nothing new.

I still have hope things will improve, but I think the changes that are needed are far too big for the board to contemplate/afford.

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
30 December, 2017 11:40
That's such a cop out. We have the players, 'it's quins' is just silly. We won the league not that long ago, it's not 1980. Letting an underperforming coaching team get away with it because we used to be flash harries is ridiculous. If our culture is to play the odd bit of champagne rugby but ultimately be mediocre then it's time to change the culture.

Scaramouche (IP Logged)
30 December, 2017 18:28
oh Lord here we go again....

Rodders you p-lonker!

30 December, 2017 18:38
If he genuinely stopped watching he chose a bad week to do it!

Movak53 (IP Logged)
31 December, 2017 11:18
It`s all Hype! we can demolish Northampton big time, but not a weaker team like Newcastle!
as the stats and pundits report where we would have been further up the league, now we are back to square one again, half way house! I feel we are losing the battle for Europe. just wondering what our match against "Sale" is going to like.

DOK (IP Logged)
31 December, 2017 11:25
Well I watched this over and over this morning. smiling smiley

Adi Nako (IP Logged)
31 December, 2017 11:51
Quote:
Movak53
It`s all Hype! we can demolish Northampton big time, but not a weaker team like Newcastle!
as the stats and pundits report where we would have been further up the league, now we are back to square one again, half way house! I feel we are losing the battle for Europe. just wondering what our match against "Sale" is going to like.

By what metric are Newcastle worse than Northampton?

Scaramouche (IP Logged)
31 December, 2017 13:29
Don't let facts get in the way of a good knocking post, eh...

Rodders you p-lonker!

Boonie (IP Logged)
31 December, 2017 14:52
Funny...all this kerfuffle started by a bloke called "spliffmaniac"...if he really was a spliff maniac, surely he'd be too stoned to care? winking smiley

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to bleat about it all over the internet"

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
31 December, 2017 16:58
Quote:
Scaramouche

Speaking of facts, where was it shown that we could have recruited a world class DoR, but we refused to pay the money?

Scrumhead (IP Logged)
31 December, 2017 20:54
Quote:
RodneyRegis
That's such a cop out. We have the players, 'it's quins' is just silly. We won the league not that long ago, it's not 1980. Letting an underperforming coaching team get away with it because we used to be flash harries is ridiculous. If our culture is to play the odd bit of champagne rugby but ultimately be mediocre then it's time to change the culture.

Re-read the last sentence of my post. I think we are actually in agreement. Im just saying that I think the scale of change needed in terms of culture/philosophy is root and branch which is unlikely to happen.

Yesterday showed what our team can do whenever they put their mind to it. However, they totally proved my point about their inconsistency.

Im not excusing it, but Im not at all surprised.

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
01 January, 2018 11:06
You're right, we are in total agreement, apologies.

Scrumhead (IP Logged)
01 January, 2018 21:13
No apology needed.

Im just hoping we can back up Saturdays performance with an away win at Sale.

Its well within our capability and Sale are exactly the sort of team we should be aspiring to beat home and away.

At the moment, I don not think theres much between the two sides but if we want to kick on to the next level we need to be beating the other sides around us.

Cookie (IP Logged)
01 January, 2018 21:38
Quote:
Quinky Kin
Quote:
Scaramouche

Speaking of facts, where was it shown that we could have recruited a world class DoR, but we refused to pay the money?

It was well documented that we were scouring the globe and ended up with an internal promotion. I don't think anyone has said it's a fact that we wouldn't pay the money, but it's hard to think of another reason.

Bedfordshire Boy (IP Logged)
01 January, 2018 21:50
Quote:
Cookie
Quote:
Quinky Kin
Quote:
Scaramouche

It was well documented that we were scouring the globe and ended up with an internal promotion. I don't think anyone has said it's a fact that we wouldn't pay the money, but it's hard to think of another reason.

Nobody wanted the job?

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
01 January, 2018 22:04
Quote:
Cookie
I don't think anyone has said it's a fact that we wouldn't pay the money, but it's hard to think of another reason.

Quote:
Cookie
I'm sorry, but it is utter nonsense that there weren't any out there. We wouldn't pay the money.

Memory not so good?

DOK (IP Logged)
02 January, 2018 08:47
Quote:
Bedfordshire Boy
Quote:
Cookie
Quote:
Quinky Kin
Quote:
Scaramouche

Nobody wanted the job?

If they wanted the job we didn't want them or the terms we offered weren't good enough.

It may not have been money, it could be they couldn't bring in their own coaching team or some such.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2018 08:48 by DOK.

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
02 January, 2018 09:32
Quote:
DOK
Quote:
Bedfordshire Boy
Quote:
Cookie
Quote:
Quinky Kin
Quote:
Scaramouche

Nobody wanted the job?

If they wanted the job we didn't want them or the terms we offered weren't good enough.

It may not have been money, it could be they couldn't bring in their own coaching team or some such.

Maybe JK is a better DoR than people realise. Maybe he really was the best option available. Time will tell.

Cookie (IP Logged)
02 January, 2018 10:54
Quote:
Quinky Kin
Quote:
Cookie
I don't think anyone has said it's a fact that we wouldn't pay the money, but it's hard to think of another reason.

Quote:
Cookie
I'm sorry, but it is utter nonsense that there weren't any out there. We wouldn't pay the money.

Memory not so good?

Oops!

Scaramouche (IP Logged)
02 January, 2018 11:59
Boom! One's petard going off.....smiling smiley

Rodders you p-lonker!

kholmes1 (IP Logged)
02 January, 2018 13:44
Quins are a middle order team.

Apart from a couple of years where we were relegated and where we won, we have consistently finished mid table. Between 1998 and 2017 our most common finish in the table is 8th. If you average out our finishing position during this period it becomes 6th. And before you all mention that past performance does not indicate future position, I think it's a pretty good indicator of where we'll end up again this year.

Quinten Poulsen (IP Logged)
02 January, 2018 14:08
I still think we have a decent chance of top 4. This Sale game is pretty crucial I reckon. If we win that then there's a reasonable chance we'll finish the weekend 5th and only 2 or 3 points behind 4th. Lose it and yet again any chance of some momentum disappears. After that we have 4 teams (currently) above us to play at home. If the injury crisis goes away then I'll be quite confident.

02 January, 2018 14:35
Quote:
Quinten Poulsen
I still think we have a decent chance of top 4. This Sale game is pretty crucial I reckon. If we win that then there's a reasonable chance we'll finish the weekend 5th and only 2 or 3 points behind 4th. Lose it and yet again any chance of some momentum disappears. After that we have 4 teams (currently) above us to play at home. If the injury crisis goes away then I'll be quite confident.

I think mathematically we certainly have a decent chance of top 4 as 7 points isn't anything.

Mind you by that logic we also have a relatively decent chance of finishing 10th.

As you allude to though we just haven't been able to build up any head of steam this season and have followed up every decent performance in the league with something boneheaded the next week. The only time we've won two in a row was when we beat Wasps away, and even that performance starts to look like it was more about them than us when you look what the teams have done since then (albeit we still had to grind out the win and do it well).

A win against Sale would make me a bit more confident that we could do something, particularly with Leicester and Bath faltering a bit of late. But I just cannot see us getting that consistency going with an away win at the moment.

Hope I'm wrong.

Cookie (IP Logged)
02 January, 2018 15:12
Quote:
kholmes1
Apart from a couple of years where we were relegated and where we won, we have consistently finished mid table. Between 1998 and 2017 our most common finish in the table is 8th. If you average out our finishing position during this period it becomes 6th. And before you all mention that past performance does not indicate future position, I think it's a pretty good indicator of where we'll end up again this year.

some of us think we're significantly underachieving, though. We can beat Sarries and Wasps (away) but then lose at home to Leicester and get annihilated in Europe.

I genuinely think our squad is good enough and that's my issue. I don't accept that we should be mid-table mediocrity.

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
02 January, 2018 16:57
Quote:
Cookie
Quote:
Quinky Kin
Quote:
Cookie

Quote:
Cookie

Memory not so good?

Oops!

grinning smiley No worries... you're not the first to do it on here, but you're one of the few to own it. It's sad cases like me that read whole threads and pick up on it winking smiley

Cookie (IP Logged)
02 January, 2018 17:07
Quote:
Quinky Kin
Quote:
Cookie
Quote:
Quinky Kin
Quote:
Cookie

Quote:
Cookie

Memory not so good?

Oops!

grinning smiley No worries... you're not the first to do it on here, but you're one of the few to own it. It's sad cases like me that read whole threads and pick up on it winking smiley

Always happy to be challenged and will always put my hands up when I'm wrong - especially when it's presented to me in black & White!

kholmes1 (IP Logged)
03 January, 2018 17:21
Quote:
Cookie
Quote:
kholmes1

some of us think we're significantly underachieving, though. We can beat Sarries and Wasps (away) but then lose at home to Leicester and get annihilated in Europe.

I genuinely think our squad is good enough and that's my issue. I don't accept that we should be mid-table mediocrity.

I agree our squad can beat anyone on a good day. But we contribute so many of our best players to international duty in Nov & Feb/Mar that we always end up slipping down the table. We haven't had the strength in depth. Maybe this year with fit replacements in the back row, front row and back 3 we'll be able to cope. the 12/13 combination between Roberts and Alofa looks good and soon we'll have 3 fit 10s in Smith, Lang and Katerakillis. 9 is well represented now so fingers crossed we can stay within contention for a top 6 finish.

TitusQuin (IP Logged)
03 January, 2018 17:39
Quote:
Quaking Quin

Get your facts straight before suggesting an 'undistinguished' record is very good at HQ!
2 losses in our last 12 visits!

Saints BG W(2017/18)
Irish DH L(2017/18)
Gluons BG W(2016/17)
Bristol DH W(2016/17)
Gloucs BG D(2015/16)
Saints BG L(2014/15)
Irish DH W(2014/15)
Exeter BG W(2013/14)
Wasps DH W(2013/14)
Irish BG W(2012/13)
Wasps DH W(2012/13)
Leics APF W(2012 Final)

Yareet (IP Logged)
03 January, 2018 18:39
Quote:
Cookie

The problem seems to be that there are more than 4 teams who are capable of finishing in the top 4 (and indeed probably 10 teams who started the season with realistic ambitions of top 6). Somebody will be disappointed and the margins can be incredibly small.

One refereeing or player decision can be the difference between a 4-point win and losing bonus point. That 3-point swing could take a team from 8th to 5th in the current league.

QuinAlan (IP Logged)
03 January, 2018 21:26
Slightly O/T but what on earth has happened to Tigers recently? They looked very good earlier in the season. Dont think Ive ever seen a more miserable looking HC than Matt OConnor after the defeat to Chiefs. Made John Kingston look like a world class entertainer! Its not just us that are inconsistent.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net