rugbyunion
Latest News:

Quinssa WebsiteQuins News from News NowQuins Official Site


Luke Wallace
never sleep (IP Logged)
27 December, 2017 19:43
Looks like he is back in full training and is available for selection. Good news!

Unfortunately, I don't think Francis Saili (not are of the spelling?) is quite ready yet.

 
Re: Luke Wallace
johnlid (IP Logged)
27 December, 2017 20:38
How long has he been out? Seems ages

 
Re: Luke Wallace
raedarius (IP Logged)
27 December, 2017 20:46
Not too excited by his return just yet. If he comes straight back into the team to skulk on the wing, then I'd rather we continued with Robshaw, Bothma, Chisholm/Luamanu.

 
Re: Luke Wallace
Roaming Quin (IP Logged)
27 December, 2017 21:14
We need Saili more

 
Re: Luke Wallace
Only Joe Quin (IP Logged)
27 December, 2017 21:23
Quote:
Roaming Quin
We need Saili more

If I had to choose, Iíd agree. Outside centre is a key position defensively. Alofa works hard but is better suited to wing. However I do think weíve been missing Wallace and Clifford for the balance of the back row.

 
Re: Luke Wallace
FBQuin (IP Logged)
27 December, 2017 22:04
Was at QUINSSA event today watching the boys training at Surrey Sports Park. Luke was in full contact training and looks sharp. Think he will be on the bench on Sat! Bothma was not training as he turned an ankle last Saturday and had a protective boot on! All the boys were looking very sharp and focused on Saturday! Sailli is still waiting to get the all clear. Also saw the Cat training. Just doing skills training, but told me he is about 2-3 wks away from being ready. Many thanks to Emma for organising and to Graham Bowerbank who showed us all around the facilities. Also thanks to the guys who posed for photos at the end of the session and had a chat despite the cold!

 
Re: Luke Wallace
Scaramouche (IP Logged)
28 December, 2017 10:04
(Sm142)



Rodders you p-lonker!

 
Re: Luke Wallace
never sleep (IP Logged)
28 December, 2017 10:09
The bloke on the floor is definitely him (although it may just be someone else :-) )
[photos.app.goo.gl]

 
Re: Luke Wallace
Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
28 December, 2017 11:50
Quote:
never sleep
The bloke on the floor is definitely him (although it may just be someone else :-) )
[photos.app.goo.gl]

Big Josh in the background - he really is huge!

 
Re: Luke Wallace
Quinten Poulsen (IP Logged)
28 December, 2017 22:20
Quote:
Quinky Kin
Quote:
never sleep
The bloke on the floor is definitely him (although it may just be someone else :-) )
[photos.app.goo.gl]

Big Josh in the background - he really is huge!

I think that's the conference centre.

 
Re: Luke Wallace
TeddingtonQuin (IP Logged)
29 December, 2017 19:36
Quote:
Roaming Quin
We need Saili more

Saili was on Twitter earlier, saying he should be back(!) in 2 weeks time



West Stand, Block FD, Row S
@JT075 #COYQ

 
Re: Luke Wallace
T-Bone (IP Logged)
29 December, 2017 20:52
Quote:
TeddingtonQuin
Quote:
Roaming Quin
We need Saili more

Saili was on Twitter earlier, saying he should be back(!) in 2 weeks time

Now where have I heard that before! Love it if it's true

 
Re: Luke Wallace
FBQuin (IP Logged)
29 December, 2017 21:48
Have found a pic of Luke training. Though he's only holding a tackle bag, rest assured he took a full part in the session which was game situations interspersed with knocking hell out of tackle bags and ruck pads.
http://20171227_140108



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 29/12/2017 21:52 by FBQuin.

 
Re: Luke Wallace
southquin (IP Logged)
29 December, 2017 22:42
Quote:
raedarius
Not too excited by his return just yet. If he comes straight back into the team to skulk on the wing, then I'd rather we continued with Robshaw, Bothma, Chisholm/Luamanu.
That is what he is supposed to do in attack. If you have a skilful and quick 7 or 2 you get them just inside the winger to take contact and offload to the winger. He isnít skulking anywhere in defence.

Watch the game and learn

 
Re: Luke Wallace
Brown Bottle (IP Logged)
29 December, 2017 22:56
Quote:
southquin
Quote:
raedarius
Not too excited by his return just yet. If he comes straight back into the team to skulk on the wing, then I'd rather we continued with Robshaw, Bothma, Chisholm/Luamanu.
That is what he is supposed to do in attack. If you have a skilful and quick 7 or 2 you get them just inside the winger to take contact and offload to the winger. He isnít skulking anywhere in defence.

Watch the game and learn

Have to say this is one of the criticisms that irks me. It's clearly planned and done by many teams better than Quins. As southquin says, watch! Learning is optional. smiling smiley



BB

 
Re: Luke Wallace
raedarius (IP Logged)
29 December, 2017 22:58
Quote:
southquin
Quote:
raedarius
Not too excited by his return just yet. If he comes straight back into the team to skulk on the wing, then I'd rather we continued with Robshaw, Bothma, Chisholm/Luamanu.
That is what he is supposed to do in attack. If you have a skilful and quick 7 or 2 you get them just inside the winger to take contact and offload to the winger. He isnít skulking anywhere in defence.

Watch the game and learn

Neither Wallace nor Buchanan are typically just inside the winger. They are on the wing. As one of our vulnerabilities is the point at which attack becomes defence, this places Wallace in particular out of position.

Was there any need to be so patronising?

 
Re: Luke Wallace
RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
30 December, 2017 00:31
Quote:
southquin
Quote:
raedarius
Not too excited by his return just yet. If he comes straight back into the team to skulk on the wing, then I'd rather we continued with Robshaw, Bothma, Chisholm/Luamanu.
That is what he is supposed to do in attack. If you have a skilful and quick 7 or 2 you get them just inside the winger to take contact and offload to the winger. He isnít skulking anywhere in defence.

Watch the game and learn

Nonsense. Doubtless he's been told to do it, but it's a terrible tactic. You want your 7 where the ball is, not where it might possibly end up once in a while.

 
Re: Luke Wallace
Cookie (IP Logged)
30 December, 2017 08:44
Quote:
RodneyRegis
Quote:
southquin
Quote:
raedarius
Not too excited by his return just yet. If he comes straight back into the team to skulk on the wing, then I'd rather we continued with Robshaw, Bothma, Chisholm/Luamanu.
That is what he is supposed to do in attack. If you have a skilful and quick 7 or 2 you get them just inside the winger to take contact and offload to the winger. He isnít skulking anywhere in defence.

Watch the game and learn

Nonsense. Doubtless he's been told to do it, but it's a terrible tactic. You want your 7 where the ball is, not where it might possibly end up once in a while.

Whether you think it's right or wrong, it will be what he's been coached. If not, he wouldn't be picked and/or would be taken off.

In teams I've played prop in, I lift at the front of the lineout and then my job is to wait on my side of the pitch for us to run 3 or 4 phases until the ball comes back to me. We would attack using pods of 3 players, including backs, and the idea is to stretch defences without the need for the likes of me to run to the other side of the pitch and back again.

This is very common practice and basic coaching. No player in the world can continually keep running to where the ball is - they'd last 20 mins.

On top of this, the 7's job is to disrupt and turnover attacking ball. If he's doing all his running trying to support ball carriers in attack, he won't be able to do his primary job.

Not intended to be patronising, but if you don't know the basic strategies of rugby coaching and make comments about the likes of Like Wallace being out of position/not always being where the ball is in attack, then you open yourself up.

 
Re: Luke Wallace
RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
30 December, 2017 13:10
Not patronising at all, and thanks for the tutorial. What percentage of turnovers occur on the wing do you reckon? And is he meant to be on the wing in attack or defence, or both? Are you honestly telling me that the 7 should be saving his breath rather than being over rucks in defence? I'm not too fussed if he's there in attack, although it does put him in completely the wrong place if we kick or turn the ball over, but in defence? How often are pocock or hooper standing on the wing as the opposition attack down the middle of the pitch?

Do you at least concede that your role as a prop ( at whichever level) was slightly different to that of a premiership 7?

And finally, why don't we see other teams continually dying with the ball because their hooker is stinking out the wing? I don't remember seeing Hartley, George etc standing on the wing in open play that often. As I say, it might be coached, but it's a dreadful tactic and very rarely does us any good. Wallace standing on the wing watching as opposing teams play multiple phases down the middle of the pitch is really not basic rugby strategy, and all the more infuriating when he invariably turns the ball when he is actually in the middle of the pitch.



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 30/12/2017 13:14 by RodneyRegis.

 
Re: Luke Wallace
Cookie (IP Logged)
30 December, 2017 14:14
I made a very clear distinction between what his roles are in attack and defence. Can't help you any further than suggesting you re-read my comments.

 
Re: Luke Wallace
RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
30 December, 2017 14:37
Quote:
Cookie
I made a very clear distinction between what his roles are in attack and defence. Can't help you any further than suggesting you re-read my comments.

Ok. So in attack he's part of a pod stationed on the wing. Basic rugby strategy.

However, he's often stationed on the wing on his own without a back present, and worse still Buchanan the same. So there's no offload, we die with the ball.

The problem though is when he's stationed on the wing whilst we leak territory in defence. Which happens All. The. Time.

 
Re: Luke Wallace
blucherquin (IP Logged)
30 December, 2017 23:01
Quote:
RodneyRegis
Quote:
Cookie
I made a very clear distinction between what his roles are in attack and defence. Can't help you any further than suggesting you re-read my comments.

Ok. So in attack he's part of a pod stationed on the wing. Basic rugby strategy.

However, he's often stationed on the wing on his own without a back present, and worse still Buchanan the same. So there's no offload, we die with the ball.

The problem though is when he's stationed on the wing whilst we leak territory in defence. Which happens All. The. Time.

Yeah but not today so have a drink and relax.



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 31/12/2017 07:31 by blucherquin.

 
Re: Luke Wallace
SiBolton (IP Logged)
31 December, 2017 08:16
Very pleased to see Luke back on the pitch yesterday
Remember the incident at Hazelwood, and canít remeber the last time a player was down on the pitch for that long , it was around 20minutes if mememory serves right
Good news for Luke and good news for the club

 
Re: Luke Wallace
Cookie (IP Logged)
31 December, 2017 10:12
Quote:
RodneyRegis
Quote:
Cookie
I made a very clear distinction between what his roles are in attack and defence. Can't help you any further than suggesting you re-read my comments.

Ok. So in attack he's part of a pod stationed on the wing. Basic rugby strategy.

However, he's often stationed on the wing on his own without a back present, and worse still Buchanan the same. So there's no offload, we die with the ball.

The problem though is when he's stationed on the wing whilst we leak territory in defence. Which happens All. The. Time.

You've got a good memory if you can recall when Buchanan and Wallace played together.

 
Re: Luke Wallace
Adi Nako (IP Logged)
31 December, 2017 12:30
They are both stationed on the wing regardless of whether the other is playing.

 
Re: Luke Wallace
Dave L (IP Logged)
31 December, 2017 12:32
Great to have him back after such an unpleasant injury. Gives us some real options in the backrow, particularly with Clifford out and the 6 nations on the horizon.

 
Re: Luke Wallace
Cairns Family (IP Logged)
31 December, 2017 16:12
Quote:
SiBolton
Very pleased to see Luke back on the pitch yesterday
Remember the incident at Hazelwood, and canít remeber the last time a player was down on the pitch for that long , it was around 20minutes if mememory serves right
Good news for Luke and good news for the club


Irrespective of tactics it was just great to see him back on the pitch yesterday. I think the response from the crowd showed much how he is appreciated as a Quin.

 
Re: Luke Wallace
1908 (IP Logged)
31 December, 2017 16:32
Cookie.

When you have done your lifting how many others forwards would be waiting with you on the touchline in the pod? Would it be just you or would it be also, for example, another lifter or perhaps the jumper. I presume the winger would remain quite wide or on his touchline....unless he was coming in on a set move off his fly half...Just interested as to who else may have been keeping you company. (Not suggesting you are a fat, slow prop who couldn't sprint 50 yards for a try down the touchline! Just interested in your teams tactics)

 
Re: Luke Wallace
Scaramouche (IP Logged)
01 January, 2018 12:06
Our Team call when the ball was in the air was always..."YOURS!"



Rodders you p-lonker!

 
Re: Luke Wallace
Cookie (IP Logged)
01 January, 2018 13:48
Quote:
1908
Cookie.
When you have done your lifting how many others forwards would be waiting with you on the touchline in the pod? Would it be just you or would it be also, for example, another lifter or perhaps the jumper. I presume the winger would remain quite wide or on his touchline....unless he was coming in on a set move off his fly half...Just interested as to who else may have been keeping you company. (Not suggesting you are a fat, slow prop who couldn't sprint 50 yards for a try down the touchline! Just interested in your teams tactics)

In this instance of a set plan the first carry is likely a back row forward (usually the No 8) running off the 10 from a 5 man lineout, probably on the inside. The clear out is done by the other back rowers. The second carry is by the 12, again off the 10 with the 2nd rows doing the clear out. Then it's a bit more fluid depending on what the 10 sees, but the aim is to keep going the same way, probably with the 13 or 15 carrying and wing/FB clearing out.

The idea is to move the defence all across the pitch and then come back the other way with me and my fellow front rowers getting the ball on around phase 6. The plan is that by this stage we'll get a good match up on lighter backs, or simply recycle and go back the other way.

We're encouraged to (generally speaking) keep going the same way until either we find space or reach the touchline, which then gives us the full width to use coming back, hopefully having stretched the defence, made it disorganised and/or creating holes.

The key is for all players to forget about numbers on their backs, so wingers must be ready to clear out and forwards must back themselves to hit a hole at as much pace as possible when the gap is created.

Make sense?

 
Re: Luke Wallace
Scaramouche (IP Logged)
01 January, 2018 14:20
Does it work?



Rodders you p-lonker!

 
Re: Luke Wallace
Cookie (IP Logged)
01 January, 2018 15:32
Generally speaking, yes. But it does rely on ball retention and good clearing out. The challenges are if everyone doesn't do their part at ruck time and/or if the oppo have a couple of Luke Wallace types at the breakdown.

But largely it worked well. Does explain how players can appear to be standing out on the wing. Of course, every team will have their variation on who has what responsibilities and when.

 
Re: Luke Wallace
Scaramouche (IP Logged)
01 January, 2018 15:36
And whether their fags are at halfway flag or behind the posts! smiling smiley



Rodders you p-lonker!

 
Re: Luke Wallace
kevin (IP Logged)
01 January, 2018 16:03
Hartley Ainít a 7!

 
Re: Luke Wallace
1908 (IP Logged)
01 January, 2018 19:34
Thanks Cookie.

Yes....it makes sense.

Happy New Year by the way.

 
Re: Luke Wallace
Cookie (IP Logged)
01 January, 2018 20:46
Quote:
1908
Thanks Cookie.
Yes....it makes sense.

Happy New Year by the way.

Cheers 1908. And to you.

 
Re: Luke Wallace
NicoWilson (IP Logged)
02 January, 2018 08:12
Quote:
Cookie
Quote:
RodneyRegis
Quote:
southquin
Quote:
raedarius
Not too excited by his return just yet. If he comes straight back into the team to skulk on the wing, then I'd rather we continued with Robshaw, Bothma, Chisholm/Luamanu.
That is what he is supposed to do in attack. If you have a skilful and quick 7 or 2 you get them just inside the winger to take contact and offload to the winger. He isnít skulking anywhere in defence.

Watch the game and learn

Nonsense. Doubtless he's been told to do it, but it's a terrible tactic. You want your 7 where the ball is, not where it might possibly end up once in a while.

Whether you think it's right or wrong, it will be what he's been coached. If not, he wouldn't be picked and/or would be taken off.

In teams I've played prop in, I lift at the front of the lineout and then my job is to wait on my side of the pitch for us to run 3 or 4 phases until the ball comes back to me. We would attack using pods of 3 players, including backs, and the idea is to stretch defences without the need for the likes of me to run to the other side of the pitch and back again.

This is very common practice and basic coaching. No player in the world can continually keep running to where the ball is - they'd last 20 mins.

On top of this, the 7's job is to disrupt and turnover attacking ball. If he's doing all his running trying to support ball carriers in attack, he won't be able to do his primary job.

Not intended to be patronising, but if you don't know the basic strategies of rugby coaching and make comments about the likes of Like Wallace being out of position/not always being where the ball is in attack, then you open yourself up.

Cookie this is really interesting. Thank you


Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net
 
 

Who is online?

Total users online:  

Most users online:  

Users on this site:  

Where are they?