rugbyunion
Latest News:

Quinssa WebsiteQuins News from News NowQuins Official Site

Haskell?
29 December, 2017 11:23
Apparently looking for a home next season, thoughts? IMHO.....I'd have him in a shot!!

Re: Haskell?
Cookie (IP Logged)
29 December, 2017 11:28
Like the player, hate the Brand.

Roaming Quin (IP Logged)
29 December, 2017 11:33
Do we need another player likely to be away with Eng? That said I do rate him and think heíd be a good signing.

HonkyTonk (IP Logged)
29 December, 2017 12:01
I think his England days are over now.

Toast (IP Logged)
29 December, 2017 12:03
For what itís worth imho his Englandís days are over...... and do we really need another flanker, unless people are moving on?, I would have thought that a Ďbabyí eating lock would be more of a priority!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 29/12/2017 12:31 by Toast.

QuinAlan (IP Logged)
29 December, 2017 12:17
Personally Iíd like to see a lock who eats other locks rather than one who just eats babies!

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
29 December, 2017 12:23
I think it depends on how he sees his England potential. If he thinks he can still win caps he'll stay; if not, I wouldn't be surprised if he heads back to Japan.

Kent Fan (IP Logged)
30 December, 2017 10:31
James has been forgiven for his previous indiscretions and bombast but with respect heís past it (much like Volley when he joined us.....never forgot he was a Wasp) please not for Quins.

blucherquin (IP Logged)
30 December, 2017 11:24
Of all the things we donít need, itís an old back row in the final years of his career - thatís what Robshaw is for.

Weíre meant to be building for the future. Love Haskell, but we donít need a player like him now.

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
30 December, 2017 11:30
No thanks.

thomh (IP Logged)
30 December, 2017 13:08
From what I've seen since his injury his physicality has dropped off. He was magnificent on the Australia tour but I suspect his value as a player has dropped faster than the wage he can command in the last 12 months.

talkshowhost86 (IP Logged)
30 December, 2017 13:29
If we did sign him we'd have to hide all the water bottles.

raedarius (IP Logged)
31 December, 2017 00:06
Haskell comes with a free gift. PDJ.

Scaramouche (IP Logged)
31 December, 2017 10:26
Aaaaaaaarrggghhhhhh

Rodders you p-lonker!

Rocker (IP Logged)
31 December, 2017 12:27
IF we needed another back row (doubtful) I think there would be more cost effective options available.

Adi Nako (IP Logged)
31 December, 2017 12:30
No thank you.

Dave L (IP Logged)
31 December, 2017 12:35
We could use salary cap space better than on him IMO.

Monte (IP Logged)
31 December, 2017 12:47
He will always be a Wasps man thru and thru not for Quins.

PJMQuin (IP Logged)
31 December, 2017 14:57
I know what everyone is saying about how we donít need Haskell (or want) but with the curious stadium decision and development I do worry that weíll end up with players like this because of commercial possibilities and draw for bums on seats rather than a team that performs.

Scaramouche (IP Logged)
31 December, 2017 15:39
yup

Rodders you p-lonker!

poorfour (IP Logged)
31 December, 2017 16:08
It's not a sensible commercial decision to recruit a player the wrong side of thirty who is managing a permanent foot injury before you go into a massive stadium redevelopment that will take at least a couple of years.

Filling a larger stadium is going to take several years. The commercial decision would be to pay top dollar for a player at the peak of his powers, like we did with Nev, rather than someone who is near the end of his career, like Haskell.

Whatever else you think of our management, they're not quite that dumb. Some of our recent recruits have been unlucky with injury, and it's taken Roberts longer than we would want to start performing, but their recruitment has made sense in rugby terms.

PJMQuin (IP Logged)
31 December, 2017 18:19
Quote:
poorfour
It's not a sensible commercial decision to recruit a player the wrong side of thirty who is managing a permanent foot injury before you go into a massive stadium redevelopment that will take at least a couple of years.
Filling a larger stadium is going to take several years. The commercial decision would be to pay top dollar for a player at the peak of his powers, like we did with Nev, rather than someone who is near the end of his career, like Haskell.

Whatever else you think of our management, they're not quite that dumb. Some of our recent recruits have been unlucky with injury, and it's taken Roberts longer than we would want to start performing, but their recruitment has made sense in rugby terms.

Haskellís becoming a brand as much as a player through his social media and other activities and would put bums on seats. We used to routinely bring Southern Hemisphere players up in the early days of professionalism along side players who should have retired years ago (carling)... largely as a crowd draw because as most here will remember it certainly wasnít to win anything. We have form, this is the kind of stupid decision the club loves to make. Hopefully not though.

Mayor West (IP Logged)
31 December, 2017 18:54
Hopefully he will go to France again or maybe even further away. We have plenty of back row talent coming through the academy.

poorfour (IP Logged)
01 January, 2018 01:35
Quote:
PJMQuin
Quote:
poorfour

Haskellís becoming a brand as much as a player through his social media and other activities and would put bums on seats. We used to routinely bring Southern Hemisphere players up in the early days of professionalism along side players who should have retired years ago (carling)... largely as a crowd draw because as most here will remember it certainly wasnít to win anything. We have form, this is the kind of stupid decision the club loves to make. Hopefully not though.

Itís the sort of dumbass commercial decision that many clubs made in the early days of professionalism. But that was now nearly two decades and four DoRs ago. While weíve recruited a lot of players who didnít work out, I canít think of any who were recruited obviously for brand rather than rugby reasons in the 13 years I have been an STH.

We donít need bums on seats today or next season, because weíre already regularly hitting capacity. We need them when the new stadium is built, and betting on Haskell to still be playing regularly post that point is just dumb. Post 2019, which is when weíre really talking, Marcus Smith is likely to be a far better draw than Haskell, and we would be much better investing in him.

I just donít buy that thereís any sane commercial rationale for recruiting a player like Haskell at this point.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net