rugbyunion
Latest News:

Quinssa WebsiteQuins News from News NowQuins Official Site

Team for Big Game 10
WellingQuin (IP Logged)
29 December, 2017 11:59
HARLEQUINS HAS NAMED THE MATCHDAY 23 TO FACE NORTHAMPTON SAINTS AT BIG GAME 10 ON SATURDAY 30TH DECEMBER (KICK-OFF 16:00).

There are two changes to the starting 15 that lost to Newcastle Falcons last weekend. Danny Care is named to start at scrum-half as Mat Luamanu comes in for Renaldo Bothma, who picked up a knock in the defeat to Falcons.

Tim Visser will make his 50th Harlequins appearance at Big Game 10 while Luke Wallace has recovered from a hip injury - sustained in pre-season - to be named among the replacements.

Hooker Dave Ward is named as captain and joins Will Skinner, Chris Robshaw, Nick Easter and Danny Care as the fifth different player to lead out Harlequins at Big Game.

Ahead of the match, Harlequins Director of Rugby, John Kingston said: "Big Game is always a date that the squad look for when the fixtures are announced at the start of the season.

"It is a fantastic celebration of all the good things that Harlequins stand for as an organisation from top to bottom.

"It is, however, very important that we get the right result - one win makes a huge difference given how incredibly congested the league table is and the group are extremely determined to make Big Game 10 a winning one.

Harlequins squad to face Northampton Saints (Harlequins appearances)

15. Mike Brown (291)
14. Charlie Walker (79)
13. Alofa Alofa (42)
12. Jamie Roberts (43)
11. Tim Visser (49)
10. Marcus Smith (15)
9. Danny Care (235)

1. Joe Marler (161)
2. Dave Ward (Captain, 131)
3. Kyle Sinckler (110)
4. George Merrick (73)
5. Ben Glynn (13)
6. James Chisholm (44)
7. Chris Robshaw (250)
8. Mat Luamanu (55)

16. Elia Elia (10)
17. Lewis Boyce (9)
18. Phil Swainston (5)
19. Charlie Matthews (151)
20. Luke Wallace (151)
21. Jono Kitto (3)
22. James Lang (11)
23. Henry Cheeseman (9)

Match
Harlequins v Northampton Saints, Big Game 10
Saturday 30th December (kick-off 16:00)
Twickenham Stadium
Live on BT Sport and Channel 5

Re: Team for Big Game 10
WellingQuin (IP Logged)
29 December, 2017 12:01
SAINTS

15 Harry Mallinder
14 Ahsee Tuala
13 Rob Horne
12 Luther Burrell
11 Ben Foden
10 Piers Francis
9 Nic Groom

1 Campese Maafu
2 Dylan Hartley (capt)
3 Jamal Ford-Robinson
4 Api Ratuniyarawa
5 Courtney Lawes
6 Tom Wood
7 Jamie Gibson
8 Teimana Harrison

Replacements
16 Mikey Haywood
17 Francois van Wyk
18 Paul Hill
19 Michael Paterson
20 Ben Nutley
21 Cobus Reinach
22 Stephen Myler
23 George North

GrubbyQuin (IP Logged)
29 December, 2017 12:04
Still no Horwill

talkshowhost86 (IP Logged)
29 December, 2017 12:06
Very strong looking team from the Saints.

Let’s hope the new manager bounce doesn’t help them.

Bothma our again for us and still a poor lock partnership (comparatively). Also why has Elia seemingly been dropped?

I was quite confident before I saw those lineups!

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
29 December, 2017 12:07
Why on god's green earth is ward ahead of Elia?

T-Bone (IP Logged)
29 December, 2017 12:22
Good to see care back and great to see Wallace. Still no sign of horwill or Lambert. Cheeseman on the bench ahead of Chisholm is odd if he's fit. Don't see how glynn is ahead of Matthews

Arguably biggest game of Smith's career. Don't reckon it'll phase him.

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
29 December, 2017 12:21
Elia is back from injury so they may be easing him in. I'd agree that he's possibly our best hooker at the moment, but Ward may be seen to offer something extra in the loose, and has very good leadership qualities. Personally I'd have gone for Elia though.

Shame about Bothma, but I guess that when you play as he does you are likely to pick up more than your fair share of injuries.

Pretty strong team overall. Surprising that Visser has only played 49 games for us, it feels like more.

HonkyTonk (IP Logged)
29 December, 2017 12:33
I reckon Boyce is being picked ahead of Lambert. I also think Lambert may be going. Didn't Lambert play in the last a game but never featured in the first team games either side

Only Joe Quin (IP Logged)
29 December, 2017 12:44
Quote:
HonkyTonk
I reckon Boyce is being picked ahead of Lambert. I also think Lambert may be going. Didn't Lambert play in the last a game but never featured in the first team games either side

I think you are right. Lambert was injured for a couple of games I think, but Boyce took his chance and seems to have displaced him in the pecking order. Lambert's recent appearances were both on the bench, against Ulster away and Bristol in the A league.

Only Joe Quin (IP Logged)
29 December, 2017 12:55
Quote:
T-Bone
. Cheeseman on the bench ahead of Chisholm is odd if he's fit.

I was wondering if Chisholm had picked up a knock, but I think he's in the picture Never Sleep posted on the Luke Wallace thread.

poorfour (IP Logged)
29 December, 2017 12:56
It's not that surprising. Boyce was pretty highly rated at U21, and Lambo is now one of the oldest players in the squad, at least in terms of minutes played. I imagine Boyce was recruited in the expectation of being our long term backup to Marler, though he's made the transition pretty quickly.

fandg2 (IP Logged)
29 December, 2017 13:00
Quote:
T-Bone
Cheeseman on the bench ahead of Chisholm is odd if he's fit.

Figure it's a numbers game. (6,7,8),11,12,13,14 against 11,13,14,15.

Pace wise they're both similar although Chis snr is probably nippier off the mark. But Cheeseman's also got a few more Kgs to carry into traffic

jonf (IP Logged)
29 December, 2017 13:10
Great to see Wallace back. Need a big game from Roberts.

HonkyTonk (IP Logged)
29 December, 2017 13:18
Quote:
poorfour
It's not that surprising. Boyce was pretty highly rated at U21, and Lambo is now one of the oldest players in the squad, at least in terms of minutes played. I imagine Boyce was recruited in the expectation of being our long term backup to Marler, though he's made the transition pretty quickly.

If you believe the gossip, seems we may have Auterac coming in from Bath. He wants to come back to London

Roaming Quin (IP Logged)
29 December, 2017 13:28
Think Alofa is our weakness but sure Cheeseman will replace him at some point I really rate him. Have also been impressed by Glynn.

Can we also go for posts when we get the opportunity really bored of seeing our Maul get mauled.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 29/12/2017 13:39 by Roaming Quin.

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
29 December, 2017 13:53
Quote:
fandg2
Quote:
T-Bone
Cheeseman on the bench ahead of Chisholm is odd if he's fit.

Figure it's a numbers game. (6,7,8),11,12,13,14 against 11,13,14,15.

Pace wise they're both similar although Chis snr is probably nippier off the mark. But Cheeseman's also got a few more Kgs to carry into traffic

That would make sense as Cheeseman is very adaptable. Chis is quick but he seems unwilling to back himself at times. He's never really got back to his form from before Dan Cole took a dislike to Chis's knee...

never sleep (IP Logged)
29 December, 2017 14:03
Quote:
Only Joe Quin
Quote:
T-Bone
. Cheeseman on the bench ahead of Chisholm is odd if he's fit.

I was wondering if Chisholm had picked up a knock, but I think he's in the picture Never Sleep posted on the Luke Wallace thread.

I took loads of photos at the training, so I'll check. A bit surprised that Big kev isn't playing. I'm sure he was training. I have a hunch that Chisholm will play at FB on Saturday over Brown in a late change - but I hope not. He got trollied by Smith at the end of training.

arniepie (IP Logged)
29 December, 2017 14:24
Mathews leaving which probably amounts to why he is on the bench,mat Symons is coming to replace him, Horwill still injured, worse than first thought

HonkyTonk (IP Logged)
29 December, 2017 14:27
The Symmons rumour was elsewhere. I was also told by a friend we wanted him

MrOther (IP Logged)
29 December, 2017 15:44
There is a future in which Dave Ward (legend as he is) will never again feature as captain.

SiBolton (IP Logged)
29 December, 2017 16:30
Im going for a win to Saints by 3 points
Just think without Big Kev and Bothma we don5 have a lot of clout up front against Saints

If our backs can fire and get some tackles in we could scrape it, but going by recent defence efforts I cant see it

T-Bone (IP Logged)
29 December, 2017 16:36
Matthews leaving confirmed?

Navyquin (IP Logged)
29 December, 2017 17:37
Quote:
arniepie
Mathews leaving which probably amounts to why he is on the bench,mat Symons is coming to replace him, Horwill still injured, worse than first thought

Anything more on Matthews leaving?

HonkyTonk (IP Logged)
29 December, 2017 17:39
Arniepie always seems to have his finger on the pulse.

blucherquin (IP Logged)
29 December, 2017 20:43
Quote:
T-Bone
Matthews leaving confirmed?

Arnie is always right.

FBQuin (IP Logged)
29 December, 2017 21:41
[quote never sleep][quote Only Joe Quin][quote T-Bone].
I took loads of photos at the training, so I'll check. A bit surprised that Big kev isn't playing. I'm sure he was training. I have a hunch that Chisholm will play at FB on Saturday over Brown in a late change - but I hope not. He got trollied by Smith at the end of training.[/quote]

I saw that on Wednesday as well. Smith let the trolley roll while Browny was still on board.
Horwill was not training and is expected to be out for about 3-4wks. The exact quote I got from Quins back room staff was "We are in wk29, Kev is not expected to be back until wk33" So end of Jan then?
Those asking about Sailli- another of Quins staff was telling us in the weights room that Sailli has been taking part in full training sessions. However, he still has to get the all clear to play again from medical staff who assessed him after his whack V Wasps, as there is still evidence to suggest that he is still not 100% after recent scan.
Have found a pic of Luke Wallace training on Weds. Will post under Luke Wallace thread.

arniepie (IP Logged)
30 December, 2017 08:49
Mathews on the bench and merrick running the line out I think speaks volumes as to where Charlie will be next season, if we are going to drive the mail merrick needs to be pushing and not receiver in the line out

Cookie (IP Logged)
30 December, 2017 08:51
We're 7 points favourites with the bookies. No excuses today. A must win if we want to improve on last season.

After the game last season Rob Buchanan told me that Saints are one of the teams that go into their shells if they get outmuscled early, so expect a fast start and an attempt to dominate up front.

Adi Nako (IP Logged)
30 December, 2017 09:32
5th captain in 10 big games.

Scrumhead (IP Logged)
30 December, 2017 11:34
I've never been a fan, but personally, I think Matthews has had one of his best seasons so far in a Quins shirt. It would be ironic for him to leave now.

I like the idea of Symons - he would certainly be an upgrade on any of or locks other than Horwill. I am worried that he does seem very injury prone though.

DOK (IP Logged)
30 December, 2017 12:12
Matthews has not lived up to his initial promise, trod water for a few seasons. But seemed to be surging ahead again this season. I hope the rumour of hm going is just that.

30 December, 2017 14:23
Quote:
Scrumhead
I've never been a fan, but personally, I think Matthews has had one of his best seasons so far in a Quins shirt. It would be ironic for him to leave now.
I like the idea of Symons - he would certainly be an upgrade on any of or locks other than Horwill. I am worried that he does seem very injury prone though.

Agree with this. He was superb against Sarries in the LV Cup. Over the years though he promised so much but never really delivered. Like several of the LV Cup winning team.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net