rugbyunion
Latest News:

Quinssa WebsiteQuins News from News NowQuins Official Site

Chisholm Yellow
Roaming Quin (IP Logged)
31 December, 2017 15:09
Was his yellow deserved? Was at the game and from what I saw he went for intercept with both hands and knocked on, big screen said offside which would have been harsh with now previous team warning. Did I miss something? Not that it really matters but curious.

Re: Chisholm Yellow
Brown Bottle (IP Logged)
31 December, 2017 15:20
Not seen it on TV yet but initially I thought the offside was for Charlie (?) who picked it up after the knock-on. Can't have been though because Chisholm's offence must have come first as he was carded.

BB

Wole (IP Logged)
31 December, 2017 15:22
It was for offside, rather than a deliberate knock-on. Looked marginal to me having watched it back on TV. He was maybe fractionally early, but not a clear yellow. Not a clear refereeing error, though, by any means. Generally, would be nice if refs were stricter on off-side, I think.

Quinten Poulsen (IP Logged)
31 December, 2017 15:24
Marginal offside, but I thought the yellow was fair given the play unfolding.

Roaming Quin (IP Logged)
31 December, 2017 15:48
Cheers.

blucherquin (IP Logged)
31 December, 2017 15:58
Quote:
Quinten Poulsen
Marginal offside, but I thought the yellow was fair given the play unfolding.

Hadnít we literally just been warned the phase before though?

poorfour (IP Logged)
31 December, 2017 16:01
Not that it made a difference, but given how tight that call was, it'd have been nice to see some sanctions for the frequent Saints offsides and the two late no arms tackles on our kick off receivers.

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
31 December, 2017 16:41
I thought the yellow was harsh. Also thought Saints were frequently and blatantly offside, without sanction.

QuinAlan (IP Logged)
31 December, 2017 17:19
Saw the highlights earlier & it looked very cynical to me. Think we'd have been screaming at the ref for a yellow if that were against us. Maybe need to look at it again?

Adi Nako (IP Logged)
31 December, 2017 17:31
Looked like a yellow to me.

akb1 (IP Logged)
31 December, 2017 18:13
Don't think it was cynical at all, he mistimed his run frtom an onside position.
No issue with it being a yellow though.

Mayor West (IP Logged)
31 December, 2017 19:01
All a bit confusing as the press reports said deliberate knock on which would have been harsh as he tried to grab it with both hands. You don't see yellows for that type of offside very often but not consistent with saints playing offside so often but it was in the red zone.

DOK (IP Logged)
31 December, 2017 21:26
He seemed to question Doyle when he got the yellow and Doyle confirmed it was for offside.

Rocker (IP Logged)
31 December, 2017 21:48
Yes it was confirmed as for offside by JP. I thought it was a bit harsh, cynical? I thought he was just a bit quick of of the blocks. They were already frequently offside and since definite shoulder charges too. But given the state of the game.... It shouldn't matter but I think when one team is getting absolutely mullered that perhaps refs are a bit more lenient.

QuickerQuin (IP Logged)
31 December, 2017 22:49
Is it a yellow card for offside now?

Or have I not been paying attention?

Quinten Poulsen (IP Logged)
31 December, 2017 22:54
It is when you knock the ball on preventing the oppo from scoring a probable try.

poorfour (IP Logged)
01 January, 2018 01:38
If the team were on a warning then fair enough, but a fractional offside plus a genuine attempt at an interception wouldnít normally draw a yellow.

Still angry that the no arms tackles from Saints were ignored, though.

Scaramouche (IP Logged)
01 January, 2018 12:31
JP told him that because there were other Saints players outside him he was thereforeguilty of preventing a score illegally so no other option really.

Rodders you p-lonker!

Camquin (IP Logged)
01 January, 2018 12:43
Well the referee obviously did not think the Saints would probably have scored but for the foul play - as if he did he would have had to give the penalty try. So it can only have prevented a possible score, which to be fair I think it did.

Fearless Fred (IP Logged)
01 January, 2018 12:54
Quote:
poorfour
If the team were on a warning then fair enough, but a fractional offside plus a genuine attempt at an interception wouldnít normally draw a yellow.
Still angry that the no arms tackles from Saints were ignored, though.

There was a blatant one early on at a Kickoff when Visser was basically shoulder-charged. As soon as that was let go without comment, I knew it was going to be happening a lot.

Scaramouche (IP Logged)
01 January, 2018 14:13
Quote:
Camquin
Well the referee obviously did not think the Saints would probably have scored but for the foul play - as if he did he would have had to give the penalty try. So it can only have prevented a possible score, which to be fair I think it did.

Yeah this is the reality. The sanction for an identical offence is actually different depending where on the park you are at the time.

Rodders you p-lonker!

miami mike (IP Logged)
01 January, 2018 18:41
I've seen a few comments elsewhere from neutrals and Saints who thought it deserved yellow. The offence itself was pretty innocuous but I rewatched and I think they had a point. It was just a mistimed run which gave a genuine intercept chance (fumbled). While the knock on was just a scrum he was only there by being offside 2 metres out and interfered with a try scoring pass. So yellow was right. Saints scored shortly after so no real harm done either way.

T-Bone (IP Logged)
02 January, 2018 11:12
Thought yellow was the correct decision at the time. It looked pretty obvious and cynical from where I was sitting.

Grins (IP Logged)
02 January, 2018 17:33
Thought it was a yellow too. Got his timing wrong and Saints were already on 1 or two penalty advantages in that move.

In the move for Saints second try the Saints 6 or 8 (not sure which) gets the ball and is tackled by Alofa. He is brought to ground and then gets up, while held, without releasing the ball and makes another 5 yards. Surely this should have been a penalty to Quins?

poorfour (IP Logged)
04 January, 2018 11:33
Quote:
Grins
In the move for Saints second try the Saints 6 or 8 (not sure which) gets the ball and is tackled by Alofa. He is brought to ground and then gets up, while held, without releasing the ball and makes another 5 yards. Surely this should have been a penalty to Quins?

I thought that, too. I guess the view must have been that the tackle wasn't fully completed. Perhaps he kept a knee off the ground or something.

never sleep (IP Logged)
04 January, 2018 13:13
The commentary team was thinking the the Dr's tackle on Francis should have been looked at to see if it deserved more. In real time it looked okay to me - just an unfortunate set of circumstances led to him being literally chinned.
But - were we lucky to keep 15 on the pitch then?

Adi Nako (IP Logged)
04 January, 2018 13:33
Quote:
poorfour
Quote:
Grins

I thought that, too. I guess the view must have been that the tackle wasn't fully completed. Perhaps he kept a knee off the ground or something.

To be honest, as a relatively new referee, the rule I struggle with most is probably "when has the player been held"?

Grins (IP Logged)
04 January, 2018 14:01
Quote:
Adi Nako
Quote:
poorfour
Quote:
Grins

To be honest, as a relatively new referee, the rule I struggle with most is probably "when has the player been held"?

From what I see week in and out in the premiership, it's not just you!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net