rugbyunion
Latest News:

Quinssa WebsiteQuins News from News NowQuins Official Site

Flying in to rucks dangerously
Scaramouche (IP Logged)
01 January, 2018 14:18
Watched a fair bit of rugby last few days and something that really stood out from all sides was the players absolutely sprinting towards and diving off their feet into rucks at pretty much every opportunity. Has there been a Law change that I've missed. (Serious question)

I think this is a road crash waiting to happen personally.

Rodders you p-lonker!

Re: Flying in to rucks dangerously
RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
01 January, 2018 15:08
Mike williams' one yesterday was ridiculous. Of course it didn't matter as he was fortunate enough not to break anybody's neck. Of course, if a chiefs player had looked up at the wrong moment...

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
01 January, 2018 15:12
Quote:
Scaramouche
Watched a fair bit of rugby last few days and something that really stood out from all sides was the players absolutely sprinting towards and diving off their feet into rucks at pretty much every opportunity. Has there been a Law change that I've missed. (Serious question)

Dan Cole has been getting away with it for years...

Kent Fan (IP Logged)
01 January, 2018 19:19
Austin Healy explained his angle on this.... something like...as players canít use their shoulders or heads the new styl is to fly into the ruck with your arms by your side and try to clear out almost but not quite with your shoulder. This seems reckless as guys can be caught as they move into a different position in the ruck so the flying clear out player canít know where he will land. Williams wasnít carded it seems because luckily Cowan-Dickie moved and wasnít hit on the head.

Chris Robshaw and also Maro plus others use a grab and pull technique or a grab and roll.

Iíd like to see more yellows for the diving clearout to stop the trend

1908 (IP Logged)
01 January, 2018 19:41
Do you not have to be bound onto a teammate....apart from the first man in at the ruck...before hitting a ruck? Maybe I'm wrong on this. I'm sure there are some officials among you who can rubbish this theory. Just thought I'd read it somewhere and that it had become a law that was, like the straight put in to the scrum or the forward pass, being overlooked by officials.

QuincyJones (IP Logged)
01 January, 2018 22:36
Quote:
Do you not have to be bound onto a teammate....apart from the first man in at the ruck...before hitting a ruck? Maybe I'm wrong on this. I'm sure there are some officials among you who can rubbish this theory. Just thought I'd read it somewhere and that it had become a law that was, like the straight put in to the scrum or the forward pass, being overlooked by officials.

Not a teammate but anyone entering a ruck must try to bind onto an opposition player. This doesn't mean you can't speed in, just means you have to bind when you hit....or at least make an effort to.

Only Joe Quin (IP Logged)
02 January, 2018 10:38
Quote:
QuincyJones
....or at least make an effort to.

usually interpreted as having your arms at least 5 degrees away from your side.

MrOther (IP Logged)
02 January, 2018 11:22
Quote:
Scaramouche

Back to the original point: I also have the impression that this has been a trend recently, that the refs aren't applying the laws as they used to and/or that players are being more reckless as they enter. Whatever happened to whistle .. "straight off your feet"?

T-Bone (IP Logged)
02 January, 2018 11:47
all of these problems stem from the decision to outlaw what was previously known as rucking, i.e. driving over the ball, bound on to an opposition player, and playing the ball back with your feet and, if necessary, moving an opposition player lying on the wrong side with your feet.

So to cut down on a few stud marks on offending players' backs, presumably to make the game look less scary to newcomers and parents, the powers that be have created an absolute mess, which is impossible to read, hard for supporters to understand, and results in concussions, knee and ligament damage, dislocated hips, neck rolls, more congested midfields leading to bigger and more numerous collisions, etc. None o the laws are enforced properly and it could all be resolved by allowing proper rucking. Not stamping, just proper rucking. Sadly it won't happen, they'll just tweak or change the current laws every few years leading to another set of unintended consequences

1908 (IP Logged)
03 January, 2018 12:57
Thanks for that Quincy.

Can I ask you another question?

You say that a player must make an attempt to bind on an opponent when hitting a ruck. What do they mean by bind? Gripping your opponent by the shirt...below shoulder level? Is contact below shoulder level with your shoulder allowed? Or do you have to make an effort to grasp a player with one or two hands to qualify as attempting to bind? It sounds like a minefield to interpret.

Of course, as T-Bone says, if only proper rucking was allowed then we might sort this problem out.

Rocker (IP Logged)
03 January, 2018 15:23
Yes bring back rucking!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net