Stupid reaction but to what I wonder?

QUIN KONG

Re: Marler must go
thomh (IP Logged)
06 January, 2018 16:57
Quote:
Quin Kong
Stupid reaction but to what I wonder?

Why even speculate that it might have been to anything? If it was a player for anyone other than Quins our view would not be ďhe must have been reacting to somethingĒ.

Quinten Poulsen (IP Logged)
Bit stupid to terminate his contract now. I do wonder how much he and Sinckler have cost us through their moronic play though.

WellingQuin (IP Logged)
Might be an extreme reaction but having such a talented player who can be such a liability is insanely frustrating.

blucherquin (IP Logged)
06 January, 2018 16:58
Ignore the troll.

MrOther (IP Logged)
06 January, 2018 16:59
Joe Marler, you absolute imbecile.

Dave L (IP Logged)
06 January, 2018 16:59
Quote:
Quinten Poulsen
Bit stupid to terminate his contract now. I do wonder how much he and Sinckler have cost us through their moronic play though.

This. Talented but utterly brain dead at times. They are both superb players who are an asset when on it but can also be frustrating liabilities. Come on boys, sort it.

Portquin (IP Logged)
06 January, 2018 17:03
I think both have run out of time......get rid of both. They cost us so many mins being at 14 men (would be an interesting stat to have if any number crunchers out there).

Can't imagine their team mates being happy with them constantly letting the side down either....

FBQuin (IP Logged)
06 January, 2018 17:04
Will be interesting to see how JK treats Marlers red mist. He got shot of Yarde because of poor discipline, so is this the same thing? It would seem that Joe's ill-discipline cost Quins what would have been an important win!
He will probably get his 4- 6 weeks, but I wonder if he has just said Goodbye to his England career. EJ will not put up with crazy moments like that with England and there are quite a few other players vying for the loose head berth at England!
Thoughts?

NicoWilson (IP Logged)
06 January, 2018 17:08
What did Marler do?

Portquin (IP Logged)
06 January, 2018 17:09
Difference is Marler would never do that in an England shirt.....can get away with it at Quins because our coaches just shrug their shoulders and go....'oh that's just Joes way'...

06 January, 2018 17:09
He doesn't do it for England though, so I don't think it will affect his position unless a club match ban keeps him out of internationals, and I'm not sure EJ would bin him then either.

blucherquin (IP Logged)
06 January, 2018 17:13
Heís one of the best props in the world. Jones wonít bin him. Quins should be furious but also since theyíre not hysterical they wonít be cancelling his contract.

Squid (IP Logged)
06 January, 2018 17:17
The real concern is that such a talented man keeps pushing the self-destruct button.

Months KYT (IP Logged)
06 January, 2018 17:18
Quote:
blucherquin
Ignore the troll.
Can you please explain what is trollish about this ? We have plenty cover in his position anyway . He is a liability we donít need and he alone cost us victory . Simple .

blucherquin (IP Logged)
06 January, 2018 17:24
Quote:
Months KYT
Quote:
blucherquin
Ignore the troll.
Can you please explain what is trollish about this ? We have plenty cover in his position anyway . He is a liability we donít need and he alone cost us victory . Simple .

The thread is just silly. They wonít terminate his contract immediately because it doesnít merit it. Iím furious with him but itís a hysterical reaction.

Scrumhead (IP Logged)
06 January, 2018 17:25
Quote:
NicoWilson
What did Marler do?

A Ďdangerous clear outí according to Twitter.

06 January, 2018 17:26
We should be in 6th place, 3 points from 4th, with home games to come against 3 of the 5 teams above us. If Newcastle win tomorrow then it would be against 4 of the 6 teams above us.

Thanks Joe.

Stooperman (IP Logged)
06 January, 2018 17:30
Quote:
Quinten Poulsen
We should be in 6th place, 3 points from 4th, with home games to come against 3 of the 5 teams above us. If Newcastle win tomorrow then it would be against 4 of the 6 teams above us.
Thanks Joe.

We're already below Newcastle on games won. Just goes to show how close the league is this year in the middle of the table, that we're ninth and could have been 6th.

TeddingtonQuin (IP Logged)
06 January, 2018 17:30
Quote:
Scrumhead
Quote:
NicoWilson
What did Marler do?

A Ďdangerous clear outí according to Twitter.

Shoulder charge to the head of a Sale player at a ruck.

Very obvious

Very obviously stupid

Much as this trolling thread, I shouldn't have bothered reading it!

West Stand, Block FD, Row S (if renewed)
@JT075 #COYQ

Barnetsarrie12 (IP Logged)
06 January, 2018 17:52
Just my two cents, I think Marler is a good player but his red mist on the field does not help anyone especially quins and it does not help that sinckler also has control problems. It is very obvious now that when teams play quins, they will try to rile both marler and sinckler and they need to find a way to control their antics.

As for Joe and England, there is no Genge who is injured to take his place so he will still play in the six nations, depending on his ban but, considering the fact that he is a repeat offender, he might get a lengthy ban and be out anyways which does not do England or quins any favour.

As for terminating his contract, that is a massive overreaction imo but he will never be as good as he truly can be if he keeps getting suspended and does not learn to control his temper on the field because at some point, he becomes a liability and if Genge continues to develop, he might find himself dropping down the ranks with England also.

06 January, 2018 17:53
One of the best looseheads in Europe, and ex captain. Haven't seen the incident but it would have to a lot worse than it sounds to consider loosing such a talent.

06 January, 2018 17:57
Qbb, it was one of those incidents where it's the stupidity that is so breathtaking rather than the malice/violence.

06 January, 2018 17:57
I think terminating his contract is very extreme. He does have issues he has to sort out but terminating a 27 year old loose head who was picked as one of the best 3 loose heads in the British isles to go on the lions tour is way overboard.

If you terminate his contract, teams will be lining up to pick him and sign him, you won't find anyone comparable to come to Quins to replace him as all the other loose heads as good as he is are not leaving their clubs to go to Quins.

HonkyTonk (IP Logged)
06 January, 2018 17:58
Marler was bleeding, didnt see what happened, wonder if it was that which riled him up (no excuse of course, there is no excuse)

R le quin's bruv (IP Logged)
06 January, 2018 17:58
Well he asked the ref to look at who attacked his ear, lots of claret, the ref said nothing seen and at the next opportunity he took revenge, very very stupid!

HonkyTonk (IP Logged)
06 January, 2018 17:59
Oh, and terminating his contract (Sm126), thats funny

06 January, 2018 17:59
Quote:
Barnetsarrie12
Just my two cents, I think Marler is a good player but his red mist on the field does not help anyone especially quins and it does not help that sinckler also has control problems. It is very obvious now that when teams play quins, they will try to rile both marler and sinckler and they need to find a way to control their antics.
As for Joe and England, there is no Genge who is injured to take his place so he will still play in the six nations, depending on his ban but, considering the fact that he is a repeat offender, he might get a lengthy ban and be out anyways which does not do England or quins any favour.

As for terminating his contract, that is a massive overreaction imo but he will never be as good as he truly can be if he keeps getting suspended and does not learn to control his temper on the field because at some point, he becomes a liability and if Genge continues to develop, he might find himself dropping down the ranks with England also.

Yep, spot on. Our discipline this season has been truly appalling and has cost us dear, just as it did today

@JT075 #COYQ

06 January, 2018 18:08
Yeah Teddington, you have to get on top of the disciplinary issue. Too many yellows for you this season and i think with 15 men, you would have won today but it was not to be.

For me as an England fan, the worry now is Marler getting banned, Genge and Mullan are out and Obano, while i think can be a future international is not ready yet.

I remember at his last disciplinary hearing, Marler was warned about future conduct, I have not seen the charge to know how bad it is but there is a good chance he will miss at least the start of the six nations which is less than a month away as he will probably receive a long ban, that's bad for England and also for quins.

Mayor West (IP Logged)
06 January, 2018 18:41
Having read all bout Joes shocking shoulder to head clear out and the comments on here I decided to watch the footage on BT covering the incident and I'm afraid I was surprised that it was a lot tamer than I was expecting. Wrong but nowhere near what I was expecting by the way people were reacting on here. The commentary team were talking about an earlier incident involving Joe, perhaps showing how he got cut but nothing has come up as yet. Anybody any ideas.
As for terminating his contract, don't be so ridiculous is all I can say.

HonkyTonk (IP Logged)
06 January, 2018 18:45
It was stupid and needless. What was he hoping to achieve?? All he did was cost his team the game and himself a few England games I expect

Mayor West (IP Logged)
06 January, 2018 18:58
Out of interest is there a "card league" to see who the naughtiest players are? I'm sure Kyle and Joe must be top of it according to many on here.

Adi Nako (IP Logged)
06 January, 2018 19:10
Quote:
Mayor West
Out of interest is there a "card league" to see who the naughtiest players are? I'm sure Kyle and Joe must be top of it according to many on here.

Check the rugby pages at statbunker. This season in the premiership Foden leads the way with 3 yellows.

06 January, 2018 19:25
Quote:
Mayor West
Having read all bout Joes shocking shoulder to head clear out and the comments on here I decided to watch the footage on BT covering the incident and I'm afraid I was surprised that it was a lot tamer than I was expecting. Wrong but nowhere near what I was expecting by the way people were reacting on here. The commentary team were talking about an earlier incident involving Joe, perhaps showing how he got cut but nothing has come up as yet. Anybody any ideas.
As for terminating his contract, don't be so ridiculous is all I can say.

What if the Sale player had a bad reaction to it, maybe a fractured eye socket or the like? It was fairly soft however which makes it all the more stupid. Is it the outcome that matters or the intent? I'd say the latter. It was utterly stupid, unnecessary and facile. He let himself down, his team down and the travelling fans in particular. Just as he was playing really well and putting himself in the frame for the England starting spot.

@JT075 #COYQ

Exiled Falcon (IP Logged)
06 January, 2018 20:04
Falcons fan in peace, was it really much worse than most clear outs you see in every game?

miami mike (IP Logged)
06 January, 2018 20:08
[quote Mayor West]Having read all bout Joes shocking shoulder to head clear out and the comments on here I decided to watch the footage on BT covering the incident and I'm afraid I was surprised that it was a lot tamer than I was expecting]
Seeing it live and on the replay screen it looked bad, a hide the arm and pretend I am tackling properly job that the officials often bottle out of dealing with. The recipient wasn't really in the ruck at the time which didnt help, nor did the fact it was a pretty tame match discipline wise and apparently came from nowhere. Wasnt aware that Joe had been injured earlier though.

DOK. (IP Logged)
06 January, 2018 20:10
EF, yes because it involved the other player's head. You see here just before it happened. Marler diving in leading with the shoulder. In a moment shoulder hits head. It's not worse than we've seen in the past, but with everyone careful about concussion he was always going to be in trouble (and quite rightly!)

http://v4admin.sportnetwork.net/upload/98/98_0_1515269248.jpg

06 January, 2018 20:11
Quote:
Exiled Falcon
Falcons fan in peace, was it really much worse than most clear outs you see in every game?

Not much worse, no, although it was still a shoulder to the head with no attempt whatsoever to use the arms. It was incredibly stupid and that's why people are extremely annoyed.

DOK. (IP Logged)
06 January, 2018 20:20

Mayor West (IP Logged)
06 January, 2018 20:25
That's what I was thinking Exiled Falcon. There's a thread on here about clear outs at rucks being too far off the actual laws. I've often watched games where a clear out looks more like diving into the ruck but nothing happens. It looks far more dangerous as it gets ignored and players get more and more reckless. I was under the impression that arms were supposed to be used, not shoulders. Joe looks like he goes in with the shoulder but swings the arm round which then makes contact with the bicep to head. Not right but no more than goes on in most games with nothing said.

Exiled Falcon (IP Logged)
06 January, 2018 20:36
Thanks for the replies guys. I suppose my point is you see players clearing out while charging in at pace whereas JMís was from a standing start. Itís an area of the game where itís incredible there arenít more serious injuries and most look quite unnecessary. Not condoning Joeís actions, just saying there are loads to me that look far more dangerous and pass by without punishment and sometimes are even praised by commentators as they love a good Ďhití.

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
06 January, 2018 20:54
Quote:
Mayor West
That's what I was thinking Exiled Falcon. There's a thread on here about clear outs at rucks being too far off the actual laws. I've often watched games where a clear out looks more like diving into the ruck but nothing happens. It looks far more dangerous as it gets ignored and players get more and more reckless. I was under the impression that arms were supposed to be used, not shoulders. Joe looks like he goes in with the shoulder but swings the arm round which then makes contact with the bicep to head. Not right but no more than goes on in most games with nothing said.

Come on. Joe deliberately targeted the head. We can have a conversation about flying exocets into rucks but this was a pretty clear red.

Mayor West (IP Logged)
06 January, 2018 21:09
I'm not saying it shouldn't be a red Rodney, it's another inconsistency in the game in general. Joe gets a red because of who he is but many worse are not looked at. This is an area that needs sorting out quickly before it gets any worse and more injuries are caused.

miami mike (IP Logged)
06 January, 2018 21:13
have to respectfully disagree in that I think describing it as a clear out misrepresents Marlers action. there was no clearing out being done. TJ was falling sideways off the ruck already

talkshowhost86 (IP Logged)
06 January, 2018 21:22
Anyone defending Joe is being daft.

He targeted a player who was barely involved in the ruck, used his shoulder and targeted his head.

He's an idiot. A very talented idiot. But an idiot.

Camquin (IP Logged)
06 January, 2018 21:25
If you lead with a swinging arm you are going to get punished. The player he targetted was not even over the ball.

But I agree too many players charge dangerously into rucks and get away with it.

The clear out on Visser, discussed elsewhere, does not look good and may well get cited - but as with all close losses there are the ifs and maybe that could have altered the result - but if wishes were horses ...

06 January, 2018 21:26
Quote:
Joe gets a red because of who he is

Which one?

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
06 January, 2018 21:28
Quote:
Mayor West
I'm not saying it shouldn't be a red Rodney, it's another inconsistency in the game in general. Joe gets a red because of who he is but many worse are not looked at. This is an area that needs sorting out quickly before it gets any worse and more injuries are caused.
Joe got a red because he deliberately targeted the head right in front of the ref. Not because of who he is.

stevene (IP Logged)
06 January, 2018 21:37
Quote:
Mayor West

Seriously? Joe didn't get a red because he's Joe. Joe got a red card for a completely blatant shoulder charge to the head. i wouldn't even give it the recognition of being called a clear out. Having played the game I have a lot of sympathy for players clearing out defenders over the top of a ruck, esp if they are interfering with play. You want to clear the, out, have to do it with force and sometimes that can be mistimed leading to contact higher than it should be or not timing your wrap of your arms. However with this iaone had, pretty much, his back to Marler, wasn't slowing down play and was moving away from the ruck. The only reason More damage wasn't done is the should didn't catch Iaone flush on the head, probably because Iaone was moving away rather than standing his ground. However Marlers intent was clear and obvious.

Fwiw he pretty much had a cob on all game, including with Danny Care for a while about something in the first half.

Good luck for the rest of the season. You were the better team from when walker scored (albeit shouldn't have been allowed as clear pen to sale at ruck prior to clearance downfield) for the rest of the game bar a 5-10 minute period in the second half. Roberts and Robshaw were immense for you.

Rocker (IP Logged)
06 January, 2018 21:53
His ear was properly bleeding! How come the was nothing to see? Commentators seemed to suggest that JM was taking the law into his own hands. No excuse for a poor challenge, but could be a reason for his actions.

ironquin (IP Logged)
06 January, 2018 22:13
Joe Marler is a nasty piece of work with intent to harm another player. Marler tried his hardest to injure TJ Ioane but he just gets up from it. Do we really want players like that at Quins?

06 January, 2018 22:50
I think Marler unfortunately lost his head a bit and will cost quins and England. In the interest of fairness, that sort of clear out was similar to what Mako did in the second test against Beauden Barrett on the lions tour and i felt that was a red at the time.

I have a lot of sympathy for players at ruck time and sometimes and you sometimes have shoulders and elbows everywhere but,this was different as Ioane was no threat to the ball and Marler went straight in with the shoulder.

He will be cited and i think the best quins and England can hope for is 3 weeks, although that might be optimistic as he has previous form and i don't think the citing committee will be lenient with him especially with the issue of concussion as ioane could have been concussed.

I personally think that Quins should work to help him, rather than dump him like some people have suggested. He has not done anything criminal or too crazy to warrant being dumped, I think the club needs to get psychologists to work with him as he clearly has a problem handling his emotions.

southquin (IP Logged)
06 January, 2018 23:12
you can shoot me down on this but it is where a rugby captain should really earn his crust.

Spot a player losing it, tell someone to go down with a knock and take the player with psycho(logical) issues to one side and bring him back to a happier place. Easier said than done I will freely admit but with 15 men we would have won.

Months KYT (IP Logged)
07 January, 2018 04:04
Some fantastic armchair experts around tonight I see

Scaramouche (IP Logged)
07 January, 2018 06:31
Umm, I'm pretty sure we scored a try after Joe went off if my memory serves?

If at first you don't succeed, Try, Try and Try again.

Months KYT (IP Logged)
07 January, 2018 07:19
Correct but whole structure of team changed . That thuggery is likely to cost us £££ European slot for next year when we got up the points . Harlequins F.C. is a business and Marler is a £££ liability. So get of the problem

yukon (IP Logged)
07 January, 2018 07:30
Quote:
Mayor West

No, Joe got a red for a disgusting, unprovoked, cheap shot.

I hope he misses the 6 Nations, he doesnít deserve an England shirt. What he is, is a consistent embarrassment

Dave L (IP Logged)
07 January, 2018 07:44
Quote:
Months KYT
Some fantastic armchair experts around tonight I see

What makes you not an armchair expert out of interest?

Months KYT (IP Logged)
07 January, 2018 08:14
I would never profess to bring an expert

zandini (IP Logged)
07 January, 2018 08:56
What an idiotic thread - Marler has been of the highest quality for years. I still remember seeing him for the a-team and being blown away by his pace and physicality. Heís slower as heís bulked up, but his physicality is a huge weapon for us. He does stupid things on occasion - but that is significantly outweighed by what he brings the team.

The person who started this thread wants to terminate his contract because heís been sent off. If we had a team full of internationals of the highest order who have done similarly, Iíd be very happy. Sonny Bill anyone???

Months KYT (IP Logged)
07 January, 2018 09:43
The financial implications of his actions with euro cup qualifying now difficult makes him and his thuggish actions a liability

10 (IP Logged)
07 January, 2018 10:01
I would suggest the only person he'll listen to would be Eddie Jones.

If Jones tells him he's a liability and until he sorts himself out the England shirt belongs to someone else etc..

10 (IP Logged)
07 January, 2018 10:05
I bet Marland Yarde is having a good chuckle

[www.independent.co.uk]

DOK. (IP Logged)
07 January, 2018 12:16
I don't think Marler should go but he needs to get a grip.
The club need to do all they can to help him get a grip, I'm sure they do, but at the end of the day it's Joe that has to change Joe, no-one else can do it.

blucherquin (IP Logged)
07 January, 2018 13:05
Quote:
Months KYT
The financial implications of his actions with euro cup qualifying now difficult makes him and his thuggish actions a liability

Maybe you can explain from the current table how itís made it any harder to finish in the top 6.

What he has done is make it more difficult to challenge for top 4.

Months KYT (IP Logged)
07 January, 2018 14:35
Park this and letís re discuss is 6 weeks

Bolly-Quin (IP Logged)
07 January, 2018 15:18
Another part of the "new" defensive strategy of increased gnarl and physicality, resulting in more cards and less discipline - nastiness rather than abrasiveness?

You can see why Quins would want and need to be more edgy, but the present response is one the wrong side of the line.

Rowntree and Adams need to get our 1st XV props into the right gear and channel their energy into scrummaging, mauling and marauding, not indiscretion...

kevin (IP Logged)
07 January, 2018 15:41
Give him a coaching role!

thomh (IP Logged)
07 January, 2018 15:48
Quote:
blucherquin
Quote:
Months KYT

Maybe you can explain from the current table how itís made it any harder to finish in the top 6.

Don't agree with the original point - but how can you say it hasn't made it harder to get top 6? It's cost us 3 league points as a result of which we're in 9th rather than 6th. Obviously it's made top 6 a bit harder.

Mayor West (IP Logged)
07 January, 2018 17:52
Is there still nothing on why Joe was complaining to the ref about his bloodied ear just before the incident. I thought he said that he had been punched and the ref said that nothing was found. Was it who had punched him that Joe stupidly retaliated against.

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
07 January, 2018 18:24
Quote:
Months KYT
Park this and letís re discuss is 6 weeks

You promise to park it?

blucherquin (IP Logged)
07 January, 2018 19:08
Quote:
thomh
Quote:
blucherquin
Quote:
Months KYT

Don't agree with the original point - but how can you say it hasn't made it harder to get top 6? It's cost us 3 league points as a result of which we're in 9th rather than 6th. Obviously it's made top 6 a bit harder.

Yes clearly weíre 3 points worse off but the other results and closeness of this year mean thereís still only 4 points in it so itís not killed off our hopes of Europe - he said it was now difficult, itís not.

Months KYT (IP Logged)
07 January, 2018 23:08
Take off the rose tinted glasses and look at fixture list

blucherquin (IP Logged)
08 January, 2018 07:47
Quote:
Months KYT
Take off the rose tinted glasses and look at fixture list

Your parking needs work.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net