Quinten Poulsen
Skelton's a bit of a donkey.

But, is he useless?

Re: Charlie Matthews is a useless donkey
Barnetsarrie12 (IP Logged)
11 January, 2018 22:12
Quote:
arniepie
Barnetsarries, the rugby paper, the metro, the daily mail and the telegraph all ran an article on the fact that he turned down Saracens to stay at Quins, in November 2016,

That's fair enough but that is solely down to the fact that Itoje and Kruis were with England a lot and Isiekwe was still in the academy and Jim Hamilton was really only our second row and we had to play Rhodes there. Like i said merrick is good, sarries wanting to sign him is more a sign of us struggling for second rows than him being special.

He would not be a starter at sarries and at the moment won't even make the bench. I still contend that he is not much better than Matthews to me if at all. I think theres negligible difference between the two of them

fandg2 (IP Logged)
12 January, 2018 09:50
Quote:
Barnetsarrie12
Quote:
arniepie
Barnetsarries, the rugby paper, the metro, the daily mail and the telegraph all ran an article on the fact that he turned down Saracens to stay at Quins, in November 2016,

That's fair enough but that is solely down to the fact that Itoje and Kruis were with England a lot and Isiekwe was still in the academy and Jim Hamilton was really only our second row and we had to play Rhodes there. Like i said merrick is good, sarries wanting to sign him is more a sign of us struggling for second rows than him being special.

He would not be a starter at sarries and at the moment won't even make the bench. I still contend that he is not much better than Matthews to me if at all. I think theres negligible difference between the two of them

Tend to agree with this, other than Horwill there's not much to choose between all the Quins 2nd rows, all have differing strengths and weaknesses. Twoomy's the one that was coming out of the 'pack' but after 18 mths out with injury it'll be a while to see if he regains that position again.

talkshowhost86 (IP Logged)
12 January, 2018 10:46
It does seem odd to me to base any opinion on Merrick based on whether Sarries once wanted him rather than looking at his actual performances on the field.

Ultimately Barnetsarrie is right to say that Merrick (or Matthews or Glynn) wouldn't get in the Sarries 23 let alone the 15, and yet they play for us regularly.

That highlights the sort of gap we are looking at if our aim is to regularly compete with the top teams.

quinsfan123 (IP Logged)
12 January, 2018 17:35
Matthews' career has certainly stagnated at quins over the last year.. with both Merrick and Glynn above him in the pecking order and probably Twomey too when he eventually makes his return from injury. A very mid table sort of player and we should certainly be looking to get an improvement on him for before next season.

Buzzboy (IP Logged)
13 January, 2018 07:46
Wasps fan in peace. Interesting thread. A bit harsh though, I feel. Matthews always seems to give his all, even if not the most talented. Summons is a string player and I’ll be sorry to see him go, if he leaves. We’ve both suffered with injuries and loss of form this season.
We certainly hope you send out a herd of donkeys today, so we can try to grab a ride in the Cup! I have my ticket to the Ulster game next week, so hoping we can do a job today. But even though it’s a dead rubber for you, I know you’ll like to put one over us.
Safe travels to those going. And good luck for next week!!!

PickledPelican (IP Logged)
13 January, 2018 20:44
Came on as a sub, played well,made a few breaks..... No Donkey!!

kevin (IP Logged)
13 January, 2018 21:44
“Donkey” the assessment of an ass!

Rocker (IP Logged)
13 January, 2018 21:46
Quote:
PickledPelican
Came on as a sub, played well,made a few breaks..... No Donkey!!
and caused a nusiance of himself at the line outs.... Carried better today I thought too.

Robertquin (IP Logged)
13 January, 2018 23:16
He isn't a useless donkey and it's very poor form to describe him as such.

blucherquin (IP Logged)
13 January, 2018 23:38
We wouldn’t have won that game without him. The OP either knows nothing about rugby or he’s a donkey, happy for him to let us know which he is

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 14/01/2018 07:17 by blucherquin.

quinsfan123 (IP Logged)
13 January, 2018 23:42
Cant agree with you there Quins do in fact have a very able back row that has been plagued by injury this season aside from Robsshaw and Clifford. We have Renaldo Bothma who captains his national team (Namibia so is international standard), he looks to me a very physical, heavyweight and mobile back row player. James Chisolm is really coming of age with MOM performances against Saints and Wasps today, he is certainly very close to getting into national squad. We also have Wallace and Luamanu too and even Archie White who looks a Robshaw-esque flanker developing.

Adi Nako (IP Logged)
14 January, 2018 08:52
I used to be a big fan of his but I don't think he's reached his full potential.. Far from a donkey, but probably a position that we could strengthen.

jonf (IP Logged)
14 January, 2018 09:34
We all want him to do better but certainly not a bad player.

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
14 January, 2018 10:54
According to TRP a lot of clubs are pursuing him, but they think Wasps will be signing him

DOK (IP Logged)
14 January, 2018 15:08
Yes, once again I winced with every ball he took into contact. Every time he held on like a limpet and did a good job! Well done Charlie!

Quinten Poulsen (IP Logged)
21 January, 2018 17:17
Another very good game from Matthews, getting through a large amount of work and fighting tooth and nail to the last second. The useless donkey.

Mr_B (IP Logged)
21 January, 2018 17:22
He was excellent again today, be a shame to lose him.

QuinAlan (IP Logged)
21 January, 2018 17:27
Did well today when he came on, but overall I dont think he's done enough to change minds. JK is working to strengthen weak areas in the squad & this on balance is one of them. Tough but the right call I think.

Bolly-Quin (IP Logged)
21 January, 2018 17:27
i am sure Quins could keep him if they/he wants to.

Scrumhead (IP Logged)
21 January, 2018 18:19
I've generally been critical of Matthews in the past, but I think he has been very good when he has played this season. He seems to have added the extra element of competitiveness/an aggressive edge to his game that he has always lacked and is now turning in consistently good performances.

He's not a test class lack but he's certainly not a donkey and I'd be perfectly happy if we keep him.

Scrumhead (IP Logged)
21 January, 2018 18:19
I've generally been critical of Matthews in the past, but I think he has been very good when he has played this season. He seems to have added the extra element of competitiveness/an aggressive edge to his game that he has always lacked and is now turning in consistently good performances.

He's not a test class lack but he's certainly not a donkey and I'd be perfectly happy if we keep him.

DOK (IP Logged)
22 January, 2018 11:25
A good squad player now.

GrubbyQuin (IP Logged)
22 January, 2018 13:15
And the “useless donkey” makes The Times’ “team of the week” today....

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net