rugbyunion
Latest News:

Quinssa WebsiteQuins News from News NowQuins Official Site

Take The Drop!!!!
Cookie (IP Logged)
06 January, 2018 17:21
Lost in all of this Robshaw in touch debate is the fact that we were 15m out, in front of the posts in the 78th min, down by 2.

If ever a situation screamed for a drop goal..........

Re: Take The Drop!!!!
DangerQuin (IP Logged)
06 January, 2018 17:47
Good point well made.

TeddingtonQuin (IP Logged)
06 January, 2018 18:02
Have we seen Marcus drop kick? Don't know what he is like at them but he didn't have a great day kicking from the tee

NEv always used to say that he was poor at them, despite the famous Stade one!

West Stand, Block FD, Row S
@JT075 #COYQ

never sleep (IP Logged)
06 January, 2018 18:06
Quote:
TeddingtonQuin
Have we seen Marcus drop kick? Don't know what he is like at them but he didn't have a great day kicking from the tee
NEv always used to say that he was poor at them, despite the famous Stade one!
Smith wasn't on the pitch. I think the was only one ruck where Danny had a chance to do it- but I didn't think it was on at the time

Cookie (IP Logged)
06 January, 2018 18:59
If you can kick, you can drop kick. James Lang was the man for the job.

DOK (IP Logged)
06 January, 2018 19:46
Well I was thinking actually we should train Marcus Smith to take drop goals every time there's a conversion. If he could slot the ball over before the ref stops everything for the TMO then it would be a lot less nerve-racking.

A few seasons back at one of those "Meet the coaches" evening I did ask why we didn't use drop goals as a more standard tactic. I got told that the need was for tries not three points. I still don't agree. We can get to a drop goal position relatively easily, it's the last 5 metres we have problems with (though there were signs today of the forwards actually going forward!).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/01/2018 19:52 by DOK.

Bedfordshire Boy (IP Logged)
06 January, 2018 20:53
Quote:
Cookie

Not so.

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
06 January, 2018 20:56
Quote:
Bedfordshire Boy
Quote:
Cookie

Not so.

Of course it's true. Or rather, if you can kick after practising enough you can drop kick after practising enough.

06 January, 2018 22:08
Quote:
RodneyRegis
Quote:
Bedfordshire Boy
Quote:
Cookie

Not so.

Of course it's true. Or rather, if you can kick after practising enough you can drop kick after practising enough.

Which is not the same thing at all.

Scaramouche (IP Logged)
07 January, 2018 06:17
In support of taking the drop goal attempt is that succeed or fail, the oppo has to kick the ball back to you at the restart.

If at first you don't succeed, Try, Try and Try again.

ArchQuin (IP Logged)
07 January, 2018 09:14
Game management - something Quins could be much smarter at 😣

Cookie (IP Logged)
07 January, 2018 09:28
Quote:
Bedfordshire Boy
Quote:
RodneyRegis
Quote:
Bedfordshire Boy
Quote:
Cookie

Not so.

What's your logic, BB? In all my playing time, I mostly kicked goals and took the drop outs. That was pretty standard.

07 January, 2018 11:48
Quote:
Cookie
Quote:
Bedfordshire Boy
Quote:
RodneyRegis
Quote:
Bedfordshire Boy
Quote:
Cookie

Not so.

What's your logic, BB? In all my playing time, I mostly kicked goals and took the drop outs. That was pretty standard.

A penalty/conversion attempt is a static scenario where a player has time to set themselves and go through a standard routine, the same thing also applies to a drop kick to start/restart play. A drop goal attempt in play is a very dynamic situation, and you are right that recogmised kicker should be able to take a drop goal but it is almost impossible to practice in a true match situation. I don`t have any stats but I would suggest that the success ratio of drop goals in play is not that high, mostly in the mind rather than out and out technique. A bit like in soccer, you can take 100 penalties in training and get them all but miss the one that counts as in a penalty shoot out.

DOK (IP Logged)
07 January, 2018 12:03
Absolutely BB! I don't know if you remember the Jannie de Beer drop goal fest in 1999, but it shows how one man, on a day everything goes right, can totally annihilate the opposition with drop goals. However, JdB never managed to repeat anything like this feat.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/01/2018 12:05 by DOK.

blucherquin (IP Logged)
07 January, 2018 14:38
I imagine you can count the amount of drop goal attempts in the average Prem season happily on one hand.

Ive barely seen one go over at club level.

Id imagine speed of flat rush defence these days and more players standing off the ruck make the set up harder.

Plus we had an academy fly half on the field whod only been on the pitch a couple of minutes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/01/2018 17:29 by blucherquin.

HonkyTonk (IP Logged)
07 January, 2018 14:56
Care is the man for drop goals

Bolly-Quin (IP Logged)
07 January, 2018 15:10
Quote:
Cookie
...In all my playing time, I mostly kicked goals and took the drop outs. That was pretty standard.

Quote:
Cookie
In teams I've played prop in...

A goal and drop-kicking prop, eh? A most versatile player, indeed, Cookie!

Cookie (IP Logged)
07 January, 2018 15:51
Well, I spent most of my career at 10 & 15, but when age and weight went against me I found myself at 15 in the April 2011 and at 1 in the September!

I get the vagaries of a drop goal, but the circumstances of being close and in front of the posts with a 2 point deficit should have made it a no brainer. Lang had taken over restarts, so he's clearly adept at drop kicking. As a percentage opportunity, it was a no brainer.

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
07 January, 2018 16:53
Quote:
Bedfordshire Boy
Quote:
RodneyRegis
Quote:
Bedfordshire Boy
Quote:
Cookie

Not so.

Of course, but in that case the fly halfs (at least) should be putting time into practising drop goals.

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
07 January, 2018 16:55
Quote:
blucherquin
I imagine you can count the amount of drop goal attempts in the average Prem in a season happily on one hand.
Ive barely seen one go over at club level.

Id imagine speed of flat rush defence these days and more players standing off the ruck make the set up harder.

Plus we had an academy fly half on the field whod only been on the pitch a couple of minutes.

Only at Kingsholm. 6 successful last year.

Lots more attempted I'm sure.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/01/2018 16:58 by RodneyRegis.

fandg2 (IP Logged)
07 January, 2018 17:14
Er I guess most on this thread don't watch much 7s. Both Lang and Smith make drop goals from all over the park when they play 7s. Perhaps a bit more 'pressure' at 15s but both were adept at slotting them over from out wide in 7s

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
08 January, 2018 07:59
Quote:
fandg2
Er I guess most on this thread don't watch much 7s. Both Lang and Smith make drop goals from all over the park when they play 7s. Perhaps a bit more 'pressure' at 15s but both were adept at slotting them over from out wide in 7s

That's converting tries under no pressure from opposition...

fandg2 (IP Logged)
08 January, 2018 08:39
I believe I mentioned there was a bit more pressure in 15s? The point I was making was an example that they have and can drop kick the ball (and not necessarily from in front of the sticks)

Mancquin (IP Logged)
08 January, 2018 11:01
J.Wilkinson did a few in his time and one very notable one.

Adi Nako (IP Logged)
08 January, 2018 13:40
Quote:
fandg2
I believe I mentioned there was a bit more pressure in 15s? The point I was making was an example that they have and can drop kick the ball (and not necessarily from in front of the sticks)

If that's a bit more pressure, what would you classify as a lot more pressure?

fandg2 (IP Logged)
08 January, 2018 16:02
Quote:
Adi Nako
Quote:
fandg2

If that's a bit more pressure, what would you classify as a lot more pressure?

Sorry you've lost me. Why do I need to classify 'a lot more pressure'?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net