rugbyunion
Latest News:

Quinssa WebsiteQuins News from News NowQuins Official Site

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Re: Marler's Hearing
Barnetsarrie12 (IP Logged)
09 January, 2018 21:28
I said he would not get less than 6 weeks and that's what he got. I think that's a fair ban, I don't think the crime deserved anymore but, he has past form even from this year so i don't think it could have been any less.

I don't think he will miss any important games for you guys as you are out of Europe, I guess the shame is he misses the first two games of the six nations.

Hopefully this is the last of his disciplinary issues for the season.

Months KYT (IP Logged)
09 January, 2018 21:32
He will still receive an undeserved salary during this sabbatical I bet

Cookie (IP Logged)
09 January, 2018 21:38
Quote:
Quinten Poulsen
Quote:
Cookie
Not sure he'll get much/any discount as he's already been in trouble this season. My bet would be the same 6 as was given to Kefu for this, plus 1 for 2nd ban, less one for pleading guilty, so 6 weeks. Anything less would be a big surprise.

Spot on!

I've been the Disciplinary Secretary for a few years including one particularity nasty incident where I was in direct contact with Jeff Blackett's office, so I like to think e got a pretty good feel for how these things work.

The Dead Baron (IP Logged)
09 January, 2018 21:40
Quote:
Months KYT

Wow.... Just..... Wow.

MrOther (IP Logged)
09 January, 2018 21:41
Quote:
akb1
6 Weeks, available to play on 20th Feb

What's that likely to mean for his involvement in the Six Nations? He'll be available for Murrayfield on 24 Feb but he'll be getting game time at the Stoop against Falcons instead?

Cookie (IP Logged)
09 January, 2018 21:46
Quote:
Cookie
Quote:
Quinten Poulsen
Quote:
Cookie
Not sure he'll get much/any discount as he's already been in trouble this season. My bet would be the same 6 as was given to Kefu for this, plus 1 for 2nd ban, less one for pleading guilty, so 6 weeks. Anything less would be a big surprise.

Spot on!

I've been the Disciplinary Secretary for a few years including one particularity nasty incident where I was in direct contact with Jeff Blackett's office, so I like to think e got a pretty good feel for how these things work.

Blimey. I could have written the judgment ;-)

"The panel considered that the player's previous record was such that it required an additional period of suspension of one week, however because of his plea, his conduct since the incident took place and other personal mitigation, the panel allowed some reduction.”

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
09 January, 2018 21:47
So misses Wales and Italy, probably Scotland too. Silly sod.

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
09 January, 2018 21:48
That's a pretty ridiculous ban for a silly but pretty innocuous action.

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
09 January, 2018 21:52
Quote:
Months KYT

He'll be receiving a deserved salary.

harlequinade (IP Logged)
09 January, 2018 22:27
Quote:
Ioane was banned for two weeks after pleading guilty to striking Marler with his arm earlier in the game.

You can have anything in life, if you will sacrifice everything else for it

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
09 January, 2018 23:05
Laughable. So it has to be mid-entry for Marler striking Ioane's head, but not for Ioane striking Marler's?

Hymenoptera (IP Logged)
09 January, 2018 23:22
Quote:
RodneyRegis
That's a pretty ridiculous ban for a silly but pretty innocuous action.
Only innocuous because he missed a good shot.

I dont think you should get any credit for not being proficient in dishing out an intended whack.

Its the debate of intent Vs outcome...depends which camp your in i guess.

Quinten Poulsen (IP Logged)
09 January, 2018 23:27
Quote:
RodneyRegis
Laughable. So it has to be mid-entry for Marler striking Ioane's head, but not for Ioane striking Marler's?

Really? Ioane hardly touched him. I think two weeks is harsh!

The Baptist (IP Logged)
09 January, 2018 23:37
Six weeks, for that! I've seen bigger contact with the head area when packing down for a non-contested scrum.

Give me strength.

TW Quin (IP Logged)
09 January, 2018 23:55
Difficult mitigation job - yes a discount giving credit for the guilty plea but recent unattractive previous form and the elbow being pre mediated 5 mins or so later and not an instant retaliation to provocation.

Clearly Joes shrink was a waste of money.

Hope he gets over this quickly as when on form and disciplined a great asset to club and country.

Months KYT (IP Logged)
10 January, 2018 07:27
Quote:
The Baptist
Six weeks, for that! I've seen bigger contact with the head area when packing down for a non-contested scrum.
Give me strength.
Really . Look at it again . Pre meditated thuggery

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
10 January, 2018 07:44
Quote:
Months KYT
Quote:
The Baptist
Give me strength.

I do love a calm, considered, measured response.

The Baptist (IP Logged)
10 January, 2018 09:18
Quote:
Months KYT
Quote:
The Baptist
Give me strength.

I’m thinking that rugby is not really the sport for you.

talkshowhost86 (IP Logged)
10 January, 2018 09:18
I'm not sure I see how there's a gap of four weeks between Marler's ban and Ioane's.

Presumably the offences fall under roughly the same heading as both were arms to the head.

Does Joe simply get more because of previous misdemeanours (understandable) or is a dangerous clear out deemed that much worse than a swinging elbow?

Flumpty (IP Logged)
10 January, 2018 10:01
Here is the RFU sanction table, which helps to show how suspensions are worked out.(but doesn't show how weeks are added/taken away).

"Striking with shoulder LE – 2 weeks
MR – 6 weeks
TE – 10+ weeks
A strike to the head shall result in at least
a mid-range entry point sanction"

Striking with the elbow LE – 2 weeks
MR – 6 weeks
TE – 10+ weeks
a mid-range entry point sanction

thomh (IP Logged)
10 January, 2018 10:02
Quote:
talkshowhost86
I'm not sure I see how there's a gap of four weeks between Marler's ban and Ioane's.
Presumably the offences fall under roughly the same heading as both were arms to the head.

Does Joe simply get more because of previous misdemeanours (understandable) or is a dangerous clear out deemed that much worse than a swinging elbow?

From a purely subjective perspective, Marler's looks a lot more dangerous.

Ioane got full mitigation in any case - presumably based on guilty plea and previous record. Marler's ban was increased by a week based on previous record.

talkshowhost86 (IP Logged)
10 January, 2018 10:06
Quote:
thomh
Quote:
talkshowhost86

Ioane got full mitigation in any case - presumably based on guilty plea and previous record. Marler's ban was increased by a week based on previous record.

I suppose there's more force to Marler's as he had a run up against Ioane's prone position.

Still think it's an interesting thing to say that a dangerous clear out is at least three weeks worse than an elbow to the face.

Months KYT (IP Logged)
10 January, 2018 10:11
Quote:
The Baptist
Quote:
Months KYT
Quote:
The Baptist
Give me strength.

I’m thinking that if you condone a direct full force blow to the head area with an intent to hurt someone then prison is the place for you

The Baptist (IP Logged)
10 January, 2018 10:24
Quote:
Months KYT
Quote:
The Baptist
Quote:
Months KYT
Quote:
The Baptist
Give me strength.

I’m thinking that if you condone a direct full force blow to the head area with an intent to hurt someone then prison is the place for you

Again, a calm, considered, measured response.

Bolly-Quin (IP Logged)
10 January, 2018 10:37
It’s hard to think that after 5 minutes (and an unsuccessful complaint to ref), Marler’s reaction was nothing other than premeditated...

A whole body’s worth of momentum aimed at head as opposed to, what was by all accounts, a quick jab of the elbow to the face/head? Do I have this wrong?

Marler and Sinckler really need to think more about what they are doing.

T-Bone (IP Logged)
10 January, 2018 11:20
Quote:
Flumpty
Here is the RFU sanction table, which helps to show how suspensions are worked out.(but doesn't show how weeks are added/taken away).
MR – 6 weeks
TE – 10+ weeks

MR – 6 weeks
TE – 10+ weeks

So Ioane's ban must have been mid-range entry but then with 4 weeks off for the usual?

Cookie (IP Logged)
10 January, 2018 11:38
Quote:
T-Bone
Quote:
Flumpty
MR – 6 weeks
TE – 10+ weeks

MR – 6 weeks
TE – 10+ weeks

So Ioane's ban must have been mid-range entry but then with 4 weeks off for the usual?

"The panel comprising Philip Evans QC (chair) with Aidan O’Brien and Becky Essex, found that this was a mid-range offence but applied full mitigation."

thomh (IP Logged)
10 January, 2018 12:05
Quote:
talkshowhost86
Quote:
thomh
Quote:
talkshowhost86

I suppose there's more force to Marler's as he had a run up against Ioane's prone position.

Still think it's an interesting thing to say that a dangerous clear out is at least three weeks worse than an elbow to the face.

Well I doubt that's a general policy - Ioane's frankly didn't look like it had that much force behind it compared to Marler's, regardless of what the general position is on shoulder charges v elbows.

EDIT: Just seen that Ioane's was also deemed mid-range. In that case, there was no difference in the treatment of the actual offence. The difference in bans is entirely attributable to the mitigation / aggravation, i.e. Marler's previous record vs that of Ioane.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/01/2018 12:08 by thomh.

blucherquin (IP Logged)
10 January, 2018 13:14
Yes exactly, the difference is Marler’s record.

DOK (IP Logged)
10 January, 2018 14:54
As I said earlier, refs and citing people are hot on blows to the head this season. But a good question, if Marler's offence warranted a red card would Ioane's have if the ref had seen it?

Cookie (IP Logged)
10 January, 2018 15:05
Quote:
DOK
As I said earlier, refs and citing people are hot on blows to the head this season. But a good question, if Marler's offence warranted a red card would Ioane's have if the ref had seen it?

Of course, yes.

Yareet (IP Logged)
10 January, 2018 16:46
Quote:
Cookie
Quote:
DOK

Of course, yes.

As confirmed by the fact Ioane was banned. A yellow card equivalent is the citing commissioner’s warning Joe got against Wasps.

Squawker2 (IP Logged)
10 January, 2018 17:38
Hmm, I personally Marler is a pillock, but Regsrding retaliation, 5 mins is about right for any adrenaline to wear off and pain (and thus mild irritation) to burn through

-----------------------------------------------------

Stuart Barnes is a Cock Womble

Bedfordshire Boy (IP Logged)
10 January, 2018 22:22
The thoughts of Dayglo

[mobile.twitter.com]

Mayor West (IP Logged)
11 January, 2018 19:12
Quote:
Bedfordshire Boy
The thoughts of Dayglo
[mobile.twitter.com]

At least there's two people who saw it like I did.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net