rugbyunion
Latest News:

Quinssa WebsiteQuins News from News NowQuins Official Site


Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
When Good Threads Go Bad
Cookie (IP Logged)
10 January, 2018 15:09
Don't think I'm alone in being frustrated about being active on a thread that's a really interesting debate (e.g. the '4 points' thread), only for it to descend into a pun-fest.

I feel compelled to look as I'm interested in the debate and want to see responses to my points, but all for a load of nonsense.

DOK, if you see this happening, could you possibly * the thread title to save us the pain?

But, really, you've got your nonsensical word association thread. Can't that be enough, people?

 
Re: When Good Threads Go Bad
Fursty (IP Logged)
10 January, 2018 15:12
Adding stars to threads? You'll be shooting for the moon next!

 
Re: When Good Threads Go Bad
DOK (IP Logged)
10 January, 2018 15:13
but I was assured by the people who indulge in this pun nonsense that they never do it to a "live" thread. They only do it to threads that have finished and no-one is any longer interested in.

Are you saying they lied to me? (Sm29)

 
Re: When Good Threads Go Bad
talkshowhost86 (IP Logged)
10 January, 2018 15:23
I'm with Cookie on this one.

Perhaps the '4 points' thread isn't a good example as there was already a load of other nonsense in there before the punning started (for which I accept partial responsibility) but there are a lot of good threads that go down the toilet due to the punning brigade.

Couldn't there just be a pun thread where everyone can get it out of their system? We've all had a moment where we feel the need to pun but rather than ruining threads there could be a place where it could all be left.

It could be like the CAW opium den.

 
Re: When Good Threads Go Bad
Fearless Fred (IP Logged)
10 January, 2018 15:25
Ats-der-risk of being part of an online community that sometimes likes to descend into frivolity...








*I'll get my coat

 
Re: When Good Threads Go Bad
RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
10 January, 2018 15:39
I always wondered why some Reddit posts have "no puns" at the top. Now I know why. It's pathetic. Really ought to be a banning offence. And don't start a new thread, the god-awful never-ending thread is bad enough. Why don't people just stop being attention seeking idiots? smiling smiley

(and learn the unwritten rules on setting off the profanity checker! - DOK)



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/01/2018 16:30 by DOK.

 
Re: When Good Threads Go Bad
RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
10 January, 2018 15:45
In fact as revenge, I'm going to start posting Wikis on any of the protagonists' threads. You're first sacarmouche winking smiley

 
Re: When Good Threads Go Bad
Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
10 January, 2018 15:48
Quote:
Fursty
Adding stars to threads?

Asteroid abuse - is that an offence?

 
Re: When Good Threads Go Bad
Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
10 January, 2018 15:52
Puns are inoffensive. Apologies if they are annoying, Cookie, but it's all good, clean fun.

Problem is, if you try to clamp down on someone's idea of humour, where does it end? Some posters may find Bolly's anagrams annoying; others may get frustrated at the endless negativity after a defeat. When you ban something harmless, it's a slippery slope. (I should have saved that for the thread with shoe puns!) smiling smiley

 
Re: When Good Threads Go Bad
Cookie (IP Logged)
10 January, 2018 15:58
Agree they're inoffensive, but, yes, they are very annoying and waste my time. By all means carry on, but I've got better things to do with my time than check threads that have descended into banal 'humour'. I was quite enjoying the '4 Points' one, but have ignored it now.

This is meant to be a rugby forum to discuss rugby matters. Really can't see the point of puns and word association nonsense when there's so much else to discuss. It's bad enough we have that word association thread, but at least that's isolated.

 
Re: When Good Threads Go Bad
RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
10 January, 2018 16:00
They are inoffensive in isolation. When you and your mates ruin thread after thread by posting unfunny puns over and over again it's very annoying.

You claim you only do it on threads which are dying, but threads often get ressurected after the following game. Nobody bothers with them after you've killed them off with your "good clean fun".

It's also incredibly attention seeking. Bolly's anagrams are at least usually quite clever, puns are for sad middle-aged men who are bursting to let the world know they made a funny. If it's a single witty pun it's fine, but the tenuous@#$%&which darkens so many threads is anything but.

Hope that helps.

 
Re: When Good Threads Go Bad
HonkyTonk (IP Logged)
10 January, 2018 16:10
Id add annoying arguments that go backward and forward where people have to have the last say!!

 
Re: When Good Threads Go Bad
Fursty (IP Logged)
10 January, 2018 16:20
Quote:
Cookie
Agree they're inoffensive, but, yes, they are very annoying and waste my time.

Isn't that the purpose of an internet forum?

 
Re: When Good Threads Go Bad
dr_miles (IP Logged)
10 January, 2018 17:09
Quote:
HonkyTonk
Id add annoying arguments that go backward and forward where people have to have the last say!!

I disagree.

 
Re: When Good Threads Go Bad
Cookie (IP Logged)
10 January, 2018 17:13
Quote:
Fursty
Quote:
Cookie
Agree they're inoffensive, but, yes, they are very annoying and waste my time.

Isn't that the purpose of an internet forum?

Depends whether it's a forum with a specific frame of reference, I think. I find it amusing that people get frustrated about reading about about Quins' ladies team yet will endlessly share puns or some associated words.

 
Re: When Good Threads Go Bad
Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
10 January, 2018 17:47
Quote:
RodneyRegis
They are inoffensive in isolation. When you and your mates ruin thread after thread by posting unfunny puns over and over again it's very annoying.
You claim you only do it on threads which are dying, but threads often get ressurected after the following game. Nobody bothers with them after you've killed them off with your "good clean fun".

It's also incredibly attention seeking. Bolly's anagrams are at least usually quite clever, puns are for sad middle-aged men who are bursting to let the world know they made a funny. If it's a single witty pun it's fine, but the tenuous@#$%&which darkens so many threads is anything but.

Hope that helps.

Not really. I've never claimed that I only pun on threads that are dying. And whether or not they're funny is surely subjective; one man's pleasure is another man's misery... Or is that just in marriage? I don't crave attention and I'm not middle-aged, but I do love a pun. I guess that ruins your theory.

I hope that helps smiling smiley

 
Re: When Good Threads Go Bad
HonkyTonk (IP Logged)
10 January, 2018 17:47
As I was saying about having the last word!!!

 
Re: When Good Threads Go Bad
Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
10 January, 2018 17:53
Quote:
HonkyTonk
As I was saying about having the last word!!!

Thus the conundrum... In a discussion, someone will always have had the last word. At the moment, this discussion appears ongoing, therefore any replies to comments may be unlikely to be an attempt at"having the last word".

Alternatively, is that what you were trying to do? 🙂

 
Re: When Good Threads Go Bad
Fursty (IP Logged)
10 January, 2018 17:56
Zyzzyva

 
Re: When Good Threads Go Bad
Fearless Fred (IP Logged)
10 January, 2018 17:59
I must say that we here on CAW are but amateurs in the pun when compared to Andy Zaltzman (Comedian, Cricket, and most importantly Quins fan). His Dog pun run from the Bugle is still the pinnacle of puns...

 
Re: When Good Threads Go Bad
Mayor West (IP Logged)
10 January, 2018 18:13
Many of us enjoy a pun as is evident on some threads but they normally start when it deteriorates. Name calling can be amusing but not very constructive either.

Do you realise what you've done now Rodney by telling everyone that puns really annoy you?

 
Re: When Good Threads Go Bad
Cookie (IP Logged)
10 January, 2018 18:35
Quote:
Fearless Fred
I must say that we here on CAW are but amateurs in the pun when compared to Andy Zaltzman (Comedian, Cricket, and most importantly Quins fan). His Dog pun run from the Bugle is still the pinnacle of puns...

Which would be fun if this was an English language forum. But it's not. It's a rugby forum. A Harlequins forum.

Why can those who love puns, anagrams etc find a website that debates and discusses the English language? I'm sure they don't get polluted with rugby chit chat.

 
Re: When Good Threads Go Bad
Brown Bottle (IP Logged)
10 January, 2018 18:35
Quote:
And whether or not they're funny is surely subjective; one man's pleasure is another man's misery...

No, that's jokes. Puns simply aren't funny.



BB

 
Re: When Good Threads Go Bad
Scaramouche (IP Logged)
10 January, 2018 18:59
Seems to me that there is only a handful of posters upset about the punning.Harmless fun if you ask me and one or two people on here take themselves far too seriously. I fail to see the attention seeking difference between a weak pun and a longish post expounding the posters point of view on rugby matters.

Maybe its time to take a vote? Although you do risk the vociferous minority skewing the result.



Rodders you p-lonker!

 
Re: When Good Threads Go Bad
Bolly-Quin (IP Logged)
10 January, 2018 19:19
Quote:
RodneyRegis
They are inoffensive in isolation. When you and your mates ruin thread after thread by posting unfunny puns over and over again it's very annoying.
You claim you only do it on threads which are dying, but threads often get ressurected after the following game. Nobody bothers with them after you've killed them off with your "good clean fun".

It's also incredibly attention seeking. Bolly's anagrams are at least usually quite clever, puns are for sad middle-aged men who are bursting to let the world know they made a funny. If it's a single witty pun it's fine, but the tenuous@#$%&which darkens so many threads is anything but.

Hope that helps.

(Sm93)

 
Re: When Good Threads Go Bad
Bolly-Quin (IP Logged)
10 January, 2018 19:42
Bandaged Hotdog @#$%&!

 
Re: When Good Threads Go Bad
Saintquin (IP Logged)
10 January, 2018 20:11
I get bored reading threads when all the "puns" start. I stop reading them so they don't bother me!



Harlequins, (was once) probably the best rugby club in the world!
(Sm115)(Sm115)(Sm115)

 
Re: When Good Threads Go Bad
2bobjimbob (IP Logged)
10 January, 2018 22:10
Don't want to be a killjoy but I can't stand the puns either.
That said I never actually post so it's a bit rich to have an opinion on it.



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/01/2018 22:17 by 2bobjimbob.

 
Re: When Good Threads Go Bad
Uncle Arthur (IP Logged)
10 January, 2018 22:34
So that's what the toilet bucket was for!

 
Re: When Good Threads Go Bad
Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
10 January, 2018 23:44
Quote:
Brown Bottle
Quote:
And whether or not they're funny is surely subjective; one man's pleasure is another man's misery...

No, that's jokes. Puns simply aren't funny.

Opinions are like bumholes... Everybody has one, but thankfully they're not all the same.

 
Re: When Good Threads Go Bad
Uncle Arthur (IP Logged)
10 January, 2018 23:52
Haha QK. ‘Butt’ they are concealed. Oops

 
Re: When Good Threads Go Bad
RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
10 January, 2018 23:59
Quote:
Saintquin
I get bored reading threads when all the "puns" start. I stop reading them so they don't bother me!

That's the point. A thread can wax and wane depending on the context or the time of the week. It's the nature of the subject matter that available thread which fits on Thursday can become relevant again on Saturday evening. But thread after thread is killed by the pundits.



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/01/2018 00:00 by RodneyRegis.

 
Re: When Good Threads Go Bad
Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
11 January, 2018 08:08
Quote:
RodneyRegis
Quote:
Saintquin
I get bored reading threads when all the "puns" start. I stop reading them so they don't bother me!

That's the point. A thread can wax and wane depending on the context or the time of the week. It's the nature of the subject matter that available thread which fits on Thursday can become relevant again on Saturday evening. But thread after thread is killed by the pundits.

The word "pundit" derives from the sanskrit for "learned man". That must be a compliment then!

 
Re: When Good Threads Go Bad
PQ2 (IP Logged)
11 January, 2018 09:04
OK, to summarise:
Out of all the people registered on this MB -hundreds, maybe 1,000?- five or six don't like puns.
Two have repeated this opinion three times, but don't think that might be tedious to us others.
One expects the other thousand of us to stop wasting his time (-so, one might ask, how important does he think himself, & by extension his own opinion).

Saintquin has the right idea IMHO, if a thread gets boring, stop reading it.
Ditto Fursty, yes MBs are for passing a little time in an interesting & amusing manner.
As for myself, I pun to amuse others rather than to self-aggrandize

The main salutary point in all this is the right & proper elevation of Bolly unto his Sainthood; Tick VG.

Methinks a little less "ME! ME! ME!" by all concerned would go down well at this point.
(THERE! I expressed an opinion without a committing single discernable pun. Feeling a bit dizzy, but nice)

What a pointless exercise - & all that time wasted........

 
Re: When Good Threads Go Bad
Fanski (IP Logged)
11 January, 2018 09:22
The constant snide, sarky tolling comments by the likes of Regis and QP who enjoy being rude from the safety of a pc screen are far more irritating than a few puns

 
Re: When Good Threads Go Bad
talkshowhost86 (IP Logged)
11 January, 2018 09:23
Quote:
PQ2
OK, to summarise:
Out of all the people registered on this MB -hundreds, maybe 1,000?- five or six don't like puns.
Two have repeated this opinion three times, but don't think that might be tedious to us others.
One expects the other thousand of us to stop wasting his time (-so, one might ask, how important does he think himself, & by extension his own opinion).

Saintquin has the right idea IMHO, if a thread gets boring, stop reading it.
Ditto Fursty, yes MBs are for passing a little time in an interesting & amusing manner.
As for myself, I pun to amuse others rather than to self-aggrandize

The main salutary point in all this is the right & proper elevation of Bolly unto his Sainthood; Tick VG.

Methinks a little less "ME! ME! ME!" by all concerned would go down well at this point.
(THERE! I expressed an opinion without a committing single discernable pun. Feeling a bit dizzy, but nice)

What a pointless exercise - & all that time wasted........

So to summarise...you've ignored everything said by the 'side' you don't agree with and accepted everything said by the 'side' you agree with.

I like summaries.

 
Re: When Good Threads Go Bad
Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
11 January, 2018 09:40
Quote:
PQ2
OK, to summarise:
Out of all the people registered on this MB -hundreds, maybe 1,000?- five or six don't like puns.
Two have repeated this opinion three times, but don't think that might be tedious to us others.
One expects the other thousand of us to stop wasting his time (-so, one might ask, how important does he think himself, & by extension his own opinion).

Saintquin has the right idea IMHO, if a thread gets boring, stop reading it.
Ditto Fursty, yes MBs are for passing a little time in an interesting & amusing manner.
As for myself, I pun to amuse others rather than to self-aggrandize

The main salutary point in all this is the right & proper elevation of Bolly unto his Sainthood; Tick VG.

Methinks a little less "ME! ME! ME!" by all concerned would go down well at this point.
(THERE! I expressed an opinion without a committing single discernable pun. Feeling a bit dizzy, but nice)

What a pointless exercise - & all that time wasted........

Well, without wishing to be contrary: I understand, appreciate and respect Cookie's points, but that doesn't mean I agree with them. The intention of puns (at least from my side) is not to rile others or to spoil enjoyment, it's purely to share a little humour with other like-minded posters (of which there are seemingly quite a few). I can't see any desperate attempts to seek attention, just a few light-hearted quips.

I agree with the point, for example, that Rodney's constant digs at Quins can be tedious - but that's fine as it's taken me all of a few seconds to read them. My life isn't so important that a few seconds are so precious that any perceived waste is a fundamental tragedy.

There will never be a situation where we're all entirely happy about what's on CAW. I've had PMs telling me not to respond to an individual poster - well, that's not going to happen, but it shows how we have different views on what's acceptable. But we do have an arbiter - DOK. So my suggestion is that if you don't like the way a thread is running, consult the DOK. Or maybe consult the Doc if it gets too much for you.

And yes, Saint Bolly of Twickenham does have a certain ring to it.

 
Re: When Good Threads Go Bad
Cookie (IP Logged)
11 January, 2018 10:30
Quote:
PQ2
Methinks a little less "ME! ME! ME!" by all concerned would go down well at this point.

This, rather hilariously, was part of the longest and most 'ME! ME! ME! post on the thread. The rest was fashioned to suit your narrative, so best ignored.

 
Re: When Good Threads Go Bad
RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
11 January, 2018 11:03
Quote:
Fanski
The constant snide, sarky tolling comments by the likes of Regis and QP who enjoy being rude from the safety of a pc screen are far more irritating than a few puns

Boo.

 
Re: When Good Threads Go Bad
Scaramouche (IP Logged)
11 January, 2018 13:32
Quote:
RodneyRegis
Quote:
Saintquin
I get bored reading threads when all the "puns" start. I stop reading them so they don't bother me!

That's the point. A thread can wax and wane depending on the context or the time of the week. It's the nature of the subject matter that available thread which fits on Thursday can become relevant again on Saturday evening. But thread after thread is killed by the pundits.


'ere, 'ang on a minute.......?



Rodders you p-lonker!

 
Re: When Good Threads Go Bad
Brown Bottle (IP Logged)
11 January, 2018 13:50
Quote:
RodneyRegis
... But thread after thread is killed by the pundits.

Punts is a better name.



BB

 
Re: When Good Threads Go Bad
Siggy89 (IP Logged)
11 January, 2018 14:02
Personally I ignore posts with puns but I ignore posts with Cookie more.

 
Re: When Good Threads Go Bad
T-Bone (IP Logged)
11 January, 2018 14:03
Quote:
Quinky Kin
Quote:
PQ2
OK, to summarise:
Out of all the people registered on this MB -hundreds, maybe 1,000?- five or six don't like puns.
Two have repeated this opinion three times, but don't think that might be tedious to us others.
One expects the other thousand of us to stop wasting his time (-so, one might ask, how important does he think himself, & by extension his own opinion).

Saintquin has the right idea IMHO, if a thread gets boring, stop reading it.
Ditto Fursty, yes MBs are for passing a little time in an interesting & amusing manner.
As for myself, I pun to amuse others rather than to self-aggrandize

The main salutary point in all this is the right & proper elevation of Bolly unto his Sainthood; Tick VG.

Methinks a little less "ME! ME! ME!" by all concerned would go down well at this point.
(THERE! I expressed an opinion without a committing single discernable pun. Feeling a bit dizzy, but nice)

What a pointless exercise - & all that time wasted........

Well, without wishing to be contrary: I understand, appreciate and respect Cookie's points, but that doesn't mean I agree with them. The intention of puns (at least from my side) is not to rile others or to spoil enjoyment, it's purely to share a little humour with other like-minded posters (of which there are seemingly quite a few). I can't see any desperate attempts to seek attention, just a few light-hearted quips.

I agree with the point, for example, that Rodney's constant digs at Quins can be tedious - but that's fine as it's taken me all of a few seconds to read them. My life isn't so important that a few seconds are so precious that any perceived waste is a fundamental tragedy.

There will never be a situation where we're all entirely happy about what's on CAW. I've had PMs telling me not to respond to an individual poster - well, that's not going to happen, but it shows how we have different views on what's acceptable. But we do have an arbiter - DOK. So my suggestion is that if you don't like the way a thread is running, consult the DOK. Or maybe consult the Doc if it gets too much for you.

And yes, Saint Bolly of Twickenham does have a certain ring to it.

By "Rodney's constant digs at Quins", do you mean that he often has a different opinion than you?

I actually enjoy good puns. Tim Vine is one of my favourite comedians. Sadly most of the puns on Quins threads are awful and usually highly unoriginal. The point the OP was making, which I agree with (presumably making me one of PQ2s tiny number of posters who get annoyed by them), is that when returning to CAW and seeing that an interesting thread has new posts, it is rather tiresome to then see that those new posts are just weak puns.

Perhaps unsurprisingly, several of the posters who like to ruin threads by punning are the same who enjoy indulging in personal spats

 
Re: When Good Threads Go Bad
Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
11 January, 2018 14:14
Quote:
T-Bone

By "Rodney's constant digs at Quins", do you mean that he often has a different opinion than you?


Not at all. Other posters have different opinions to me. Rodney doesn't seem to delight in having a pop at Quins though.

Do you apply the same logic to this comment?

Quote:
Fanski
The constant snide, sarky tolling comments by the likes of Regis

 
Re: When Good Threads Go Bad
talkshowhost86 (IP Logged)
11 January, 2018 14:25
Quote:
T-Bone
Quote:
Quinky Kin
Quote:
PQ2
OK, to summarise:
Out of all the people registered on this MB -hundreds, maybe 1,000?- five or six don't like puns.
Two have repeated this opinion three times, but don't think that might be tedious to us others.
One expects the other thousand of us to stop wasting his time (-so, one might ask, how important does he think himself, & by extension his own opinion).

Saintquin has the right idea IMHO, if a thread gets boring, stop reading it.
Ditto Fursty, yes MBs are for passing a little time in an interesting & amusing manner.
As for myself, I pun to amuse others rather than to self-aggrandize

The main salutary point in all this is the right & proper elevation of Bolly unto his Sainthood; Tick VG.

Methinks a little less "ME! ME! ME!" by all concerned would go down well at this point.
(THERE! I expressed an opinion without a committing single discernable pun. Feeling a bit dizzy, but nice)

What a pointless exercise - & all that time wasted........

Well, without wishing to be contrary: I understand, appreciate and respect Cookie's points, but that doesn't mean I agree with them. The intention of puns (at least from my side) is not to rile others or to spoil enjoyment, it's purely to share a little humour with other like-minded posters (of which there are seemingly quite a few). I can't see any desperate attempts to seek attention, just a few light-hearted quips.

I agree with the point, for example, that Rodney's constant digs at Quins can be tedious - but that's fine as it's taken me all of a few seconds to read them. My life isn't so important that a few seconds are so precious that any perceived waste is a fundamental tragedy.

There will never be a situation where we're all entirely happy about what's on CAW. I've had PMs telling me not to respond to an individual poster - well, that's not going to happen, but it shows how we have different views on what's acceptable. But we do have an arbiter - DOK. So my suggestion is that if you don't like the way a thread is running, consult the DOK. Or maybe consult the Doc if it gets too much for you.

And yes, Saint Bolly of Twickenham does have a certain ring to it.

By "Rodney's constant digs at Quins", do you mean that he often has a different opinion than you?

I actually enjoy good puns. Tim Vine is one of my favourite comedians. Sadly most of the puns on Quins threads are awful and usually highly unoriginal. The point the OP was making, which I agree with (presumably making me one of PQ2s tiny number of posters who get annoyed by them), is that when returning to CAW and seeing that an interesting thread has new posts, it is rather tiresome to then see that those new posts are just weak puns.

Perhaps unsurprisingly, several of the posters who like to ruin threads by punning are the same who enjoy indulging in personal spats

Completely agree with this.

1. More annoying than anything else on this thread is the view from some that 'attacks on Quins' mean that you are somehow not a proper fan. It's perfectly simple to be critical of something that you love. Just ask my wife!

2. I don't think many people on here are saying that puns are inherently wrong, just that the way they are used to completely ruin some threads on here that others are still reading is irritating. I like puns, but that doesn't mean I want to see them in every thread on here. I also like David Attenborough, but if someone posted pictures of him in every thread I'd find that equally irritating.

 
Re: When Good Threads Go Bad
Cookie (IP Logged)
11 January, 2018 15:04
Quote:
Siggy89
Personally I ignore posts with puns but I ignore posts with Cookie more.

Charming! And I was going to suggest meeting up for a pint on Saturday.

The point is you can't ignore something that you can't see before clicking through.

 
Re: When Good Threads Go Bad
Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
11 January, 2018 15:32
Quote:
talkshowhost86
Completely agree with this.

1. More annoying than anything else on this thread is the view from some that 'attacks on Quins' mean that you are somehow not a proper fan. It's perfectly simple to be critical of something that you love. Just ask my wife!

I don't recall anyone on this thread saying any such thing.

Nicksb used to be a good poster on here. Then for some reason he went very anti-Quins. HSBC seemed to delight in pointing out negatives. The artist formerly known as Bish will eagerly post threads about getting rid of Joe Marler even before there's been a disciplinary hearing. With all of these posters there is a very negative undercurrent, more often than not.

Rodney appears to be posting like that more than occasionally. I wouldn't say he's not a fan, proper or otherwise. He's clearly passionate about Quins, as hopefully we all are.

 
Re: When Good Threads Go Bad
Siggy89 (IP Logged)
11 January, 2018 15:33
Quote:
Cookie
Quote:
Siggy89
Personally I ignore posts with puns but I ignore posts with Cookie more.

Charming! And I was going to suggest meeting up for a pint on Saturday.

The point is you can't ignore something that you can't see before clicking through.

Saw the name and ignored it.

 
Re: When Good Threads Go Bad
Cookie (IP Logged)
11 January, 2018 15:42
Quote:
Siggy89
Quote:
Cookie
Quote:
Siggy89
Personally I ignore posts with puns but I ignore posts with Cookie more.

Charming! And I was going to suggest meeting up for a pint on Saturday.

The point is you can't ignore something that you can't see before clicking through.

Saw the name and ignored it.

And yet you keep replying to my posts on threads I started. Are you sure you know what you mean?

 
Re: When Good Threads Go Bad
RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
11 January, 2018 15:47
Quote:
Quinky Kin
Quote:
T-Bone

By "Rodney's constant digs at Quins", do you mean that he often has a different opinion than you?


Not at all. Other posters have different opinions to me. Rodney doesn't seem to delight in having a pop at Quins though.

Do you apply the same logic to this comment?

Quote:
Fanski
The constant snide, sarky tolling comments by the likes of Regis

Nonsense. I criticise the coaching staff periodically. Balances out your smug sycophancy smiling smiley



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/01/2018 15:50 by RodneyRegis.

 
Re: When Good Threads Go Bad
Scaramouche (IP Logged)
11 January, 2018 15:53
I am really looking forward to the end of season review (Sm83)



Rodders you p-lonker!

 
Re: When Good Threads Go Bad
talkshowhost86 (IP Logged)
11 January, 2018 15:53
Quote:
Siggy89
Quote:
Cookie
Quote:
Siggy89
Personally I ignore posts with puns but I ignore posts with Cookie more.

Charming! And I was going to suggest meeting up for a pint on Saturday.

The point is you can't ignore something that you can't see before clicking through.

Saw the name and ignored it.

Worst

Ignoring

Ever

 
Re: When Good Threads Go Bad
Scaramouche (IP Logged)
11 January, 2018 15:56
I HATE sentences that are not written in a straight line!



Rodders you p-lonker!

 
Re: When Good Threads Go Bad
talkshowhost86 (IP Logged)
11 January, 2018 16:09
Quote:
Scaramouche
I HATE sentences that are not written in a straight line!

Annoying isn't it? Can really ruin a good thread.

 
Re: When Good Threads Go Bad
Quinten Poulsen (IP Logged)
11 January, 2018 17:07
Quote:
Fanski
The constant snide, sarky tolling comments by the likes of Regis and QP who enjoy being rude from the safety of a pc screen are far more irritating than a few puns

Yep, Rodney is terrible.

 
Re: When Good Threads Go Bad
Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
11 January, 2018 17:29
Quote:
RodneyRegis

Nonsense. I criticise the coaching staff periodically. Balances out your smug sycophancy smiling smiley

And sometimes they even deserve it!

 
Re: When Good Threads Go Bad
Mayor West (IP Logged)
11 January, 2018 18:41
Oh the irony as the thread does go bad descending into name calling

 
Re: When Good Threads Go Bad
RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
11 January, 2018 18:42
Quote:
Quinten Poulsen
Quote:
Fanski
The constant snide, sarky tolling comments by the likes of Regis and QP who enjoy being rude from the safety of a pc screen are far more irritating than a few puns

Yep, Rodney is terrible.

Guilty by association.

 
Re: When Good Threads Go Bad
Saintquin (IP Logged)
11 January, 2018 19:08
Quote:
PQ2
OK, to summarise:
Out of all the people registered on this MB -hundreds, maybe 1,000?- five or six don't like puns.
Two have repeated this opinion three times, but don't think that might be tedious to us others.
One expects the other thousand of us to stop wasting his time (-so, one might ask, how important does he think himself, & by extension his own opinion).

Saintquin has the right idea IMHO, if a thread gets boring, stop reading it.
Ditto Fursty, yes MBs are for passing a little time in an interesting & amusing manner.
As for myself, I pun to amuse others rather than to self-aggrandize

The main salutary point in all this is the right & proper elevation of Bolly unto his Sainthood; Tick VG.

Methinks a little less "ME! ME! ME!" by all concerned would go down well at this point.
(THERE! I expressed an opinion without a committing single discernable pun. Feeling a bit dizzy, but nice)

What a pointless exercise - & all that time wasted........

The thing is though and I didn't really put it correctly is, it's not the thread itself that gets boring it's reading all the puns that gets boring.
If someone got something to say about the topic then make a pun I can't have any complaints but, it's when people post on a thread just to make a pun without adding anything else to the thread that I find boring!



Harlequins, (was once) probably the best rugby club in the world!
(Sm115)(Sm115)(Sm115)

 
Re: When Good Threads Go Bad
Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
11 January, 2018 20:48
Quote:
Saintquin
Quote:
PQ2
OK, to summarise:
Out of all the people registered on this MB -hundreds, maybe 1,000?- five or six don't like puns.
Two have repeated this opinion three times, but don't think that might be tedious to us others.
One expects the other thousand of us to stop wasting his time (-so, one might ask, how important does he think himself, & by extension his own opinion).

Saintquin has the right idea IMHO, if a thread gets boring, stop reading it.
Ditto Fursty, yes MBs are for passing a little time in an interesting & amusing manner.
As for myself, I pun to amuse others rather than to self-aggrandize

The main salutary point in all this is the right & proper elevation of Bolly unto his Sainthood; Tick VG.

Methinks a little less "ME! ME! ME!" by all concerned would go down well at this point.
(THERE! I expressed an opinion without a committing single discernable pun. Feeling a bit dizzy, but nice)

What a pointless exercise - & all that time wasted........

The thing is though and I didn't really put it correctly is, it's not the thread itself that gets boring it's reading all the puns that gets boring.
If someone got something to say about the topic then make a pun I can't have any complaints but, it's when people post on a thread just to make a pun without adding anything else to the thread that I find boring!

Drilling holes, then using a larger drill bit to make the hole bigger... That's what I call boring.

 
Re: When Good Threads Go Bad
Bolly-Quin (IP Logged)
11 January, 2018 20:57
Quote:
Quinky Kin
Drilling holes, then using a larger drill bit to make the hole bigger... That's what I call boring.

Dont frack with me, boy (Sm109), or I'll have your unconventional bore hole horizontally drilled all the way to Texas before you can say Houston!

 
Re: When Good Threads Go Bad
Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
11 January, 2018 20:58
Quote:
Bolly-Quin
Quote:
Quinky Kin
Drilling holes, then using a larger drill bit to make the hole bigger... That's what I call boring.

Dont frack with me, boy (Sm109), or I'll have your unconventional bore hole horizontally drilled all the way to Texas before you can say Houston!

I Red Adair you!

 
Re: When Good Threads Go Bad
Cookie (IP Logged)
11 January, 2018 22:17
Jesus Christ!

 
Re: When Good Threads Go Bad
Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
11 January, 2018 23:13
Quote:
Cookie
Jesus Christ!

I don't think he'll saviour sanity... smiling smiley

 
Re: When Good Threads Go Bad
Scaramouche (IP Logged)
12 January, 2018 10:09
It's almost as if the OP knew.....



Rodders you p-lonker!

 
Re: When Good Threads Go Bad
Cookie (IP Logged)
12 January, 2018 10:36
Can you delete a thread if you started it? Looked, but it doesn't seem possible.

 
Re: When Good Threads Go Bad
talkshowhost86 (IP Logged)
12 January, 2018 10:40
Leave it as the monument to inanity that it is Cookie.

 
Re: When Good Threads Go Bad
Cookie (IP Logged)
12 January, 2018 12:04
Sick and tired checking back to see if anyone actually said anything interesting rather than tiresome puns.

Not sure why the punts have the right to decide when it can change either. Once there's been one pun, that kind of shuts down the sensible conversation.

 
Re: When Good Threads Go Bad
Scaramouche (IP Logged)
12 January, 2018 14:08
(Sm92)



Rodders you p-lonker!

 
Re: When Good Threads Go Bad
Siggy89 (IP Logged)
12 January, 2018 14:24
When good threads go bad buy new trousers.

 
Re: When Good Threads Go Bad
Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
12 January, 2018 14:35
Quote:
Scaramouche
(Sm92)

Hush, Puppy... Ooops, sorry, wrong pun thread!

 
Re: When Good Threads Go Bad
Scaramouche (IP Logged)
12 January, 2018 14:39
Oh, now you've put your foot right in it!



Rodders you p-lonker!

 
Re: When Good Threads Go Bad
PQ2 (IP Logged)
13 January, 2018 11:04
I doubt this thread will go much further - don't think it's got the legs.

 
Re: When Good Threads Go Bad
PQ2 (IP Logged)
13 January, 2018 11:07
The thread came back - that was a turn-up for the books!

 
Re: When Good Threads Go Bad
Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
13 January, 2018 11:52
Quote:
PQ2
The thread came back - that was a turn-up for the books!

Now you're scraping the bell-bottom of the barrel! People are likely to flare up!

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net
 
 

Who is online?

Total users online:  

Most users online:  

Users on this site:  

Where are they?