rugbyunion
Latest News:

Quinssa WebsiteQuins News from News NowQuins Official Site

Marcus Smith signs his full contract.
Fearless Fred (IP Logged)
11 January, 2018 12:07
HARLEQUINS SIGN LONG-TERM DEAL WITH MARCUS SMITH
Thursday, 11th January 2018 @ 12:00

HARLEQUINS HAS TODAY (THURSDAY 11TH JANUARY) ANNOUNCED THAT MARCUS SMITH HAS SIGNED HIS FIRST SENIOR PROFESSIONAL CONTRACT WITH THE CLUB, AFTER A BREAKTHROUGH YEAR WHICH SAW THE 18-YEAR-OLD FLY-HALF GO FROM AN ACADEMY PLAYER AT THE CLUB TO FIRST TEAM

Director of Rugby John Kingston commented: “I’m delighted to have secured Marcus’ long-term future at Harlequins.

“Marcus is an intelligent and humble young lad who is very focused on his rugby. He has the talent and abilities to take this Quins side forward onto the next stage of its development.

“He is the type of player and person that perfectly embodies the Harlequins spirit and culture we are building at The Stoop.”

Two weeks after making his professional debut, Smith produced a man-of-the-match performance against Wasps to end their 22-match winning streak at home and was named in the full England squad for the autumn international series.

“I am extremely proud to share the news of my contract extension with Harlequins,” said Smith.

“Harlequins is a fantastic club and they have looked after me extremely well since I joined three years ago. The Club is incredibly ambitious and combined with John Kingston’s long-term vision, it made the decision much easier knowing the faith and guidance he has shown me.”

“As a player you want to be playing in the big games and hopefully if I can keep improving I will be involved in more and more of them and help the Club progress both domestically and in Europe.”

Player profile

Marcus Smith
Fly-half
D.O.B: 14/02/1999
Height: 5'7"
Weight: 82kg

Re: Marcus Smith signs his full contract.
Fursty (IP Logged)
11 January, 2018 12:17
Great news!

Out of interest as he was only on an academy contract previously would another club have been able to offer a contract?

11 January, 2018 12:19
I think so, yes. Didn't we get Charlie Walker that way?

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
11 January, 2018 12:29
This is great news! I wonder what they deem to be a long-term contract though.

T-Bone (IP Logged)
11 January, 2018 12:40
Excellent news. Imagine his salary has gone up ever so slightly. Really important signing.

For quite a few years we've struggled to bring decent half backs through the academy, hopefully the latest crop will change that

thomh (IP Logged)
11 January, 2018 12:45
Main news here for me is that he wasn't already on one...

talkshowhost86 (IP Logged)
11 January, 2018 12:49
Excellent news.

Probably been our biggest plus of the season so far so good to get him on a longer term contract.

Has been forced to step up both by Eddie Jones' plucking him from obscurity, and our injury issues, and he's handled it all fantastically.

11 January, 2018 12:49
Quote:
thomh

Well, he was pretty much 4th choice going into the start of the season in his 2nd year (I believe) in the academy, & would probably only played a part in Anglo Welsh games had it not been for injuries to Catrakilis, Swiel and Lang ahead of him. It's only because he's been thrust into the spotlight and turned out to be a pure natural talent that he's making the step up to a full contract now.

blucherquin (IP Logged)
11 January, 2018 12:55
Quote:
thomh

He was a first year Academy player and just happened to be seen by Jones playing for Brighton college when Jones was there in 2015 with Japan.

Combination of Jones selection and our injuries at 10 mean we’ve heard of him.

Bedfordshire Boy (IP Logged)
11 January, 2018 13:00
Brilliant news.

ChipsteadQuin (IP Logged)
11 January, 2018 13:03
Thats an interesting snip of info Blucherquin , I wasn't aware hed been spotted by Jones that early ..just presumed theyd met through the Junior England set up ..

NicoWilson (IP Logged)
11 January, 2018 13:56
Great news.

ironquin (IP Logged)
11 January, 2018 14:57
What a signing. Great news

Quinten Poulsen (IP Logged)
11 January, 2018 15:15
Quote:
Fearless Fred
I think so, yes. Didn't we get Charlie Walker that way?

Walker joined our EPDG for his last year of school, so we also played a part in his development before he became a professional.

Great news on Smith.

Scaramouche (IP Logged)
11 January, 2018 15:34
What on Earth? A thread with no moaners/club bashers/doom mongers/player critics?

Standards are slipping!

If at first you don't succeed, Try, Try and Try again.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/01/2018 16:59 by DOK.

HonkyTonk (IP Logged)
11 January, 2018 15:47
No puns either. As for the length of the deal. I guess 2 years is considered normal. The Curry twins both signed 5 year deals with Sale. I guessing 3 years!!!

akb1 (IP Logged)
11 January, 2018 16:10
Very good news, I've been wondering when we would hear that he had re-signed and if it would be a senior rather than academy contract.

Fursty (IP Logged)
11 January, 2018 16:36
Quote:
Scaramouche
A thread with no moaners/club bashers/doom mongers/player critics?
Standards are slipping!

Clearly this thread is a gripping read.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/01/2018 16:59 by DOK.

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
11 January, 2018 17:26
Quote:
HonkyTonk
No puns either. As for the length of the deal. I guess 2 years is considered normal. The Curry twins both signed 5 year deals with Sale. I guessing 3 years!!!

5 would be great!

HonkyTonk (IP Logged)
11 January, 2018 17:36
Quote:
Quinky Kin
Quote:
HonkyTonk

5 would be great!

Interesting for the player though. You have security in case of injury/loss of form but then on the flip side if in that time you become an international/top player you are tied to the deal with no chance of an increase in money

talkshowhost86 (IP Logged)
11 January, 2018 18:27
Quote:
HonkyTonk
Quote:
Quinky Kin
Quote:
HonkyTonk

5 would be great!

Interesting for the player though. You have security in case of injury/loss of form but then on the flip side if in that time you become an international/top player you are tied to the deal with no chance of an increase in money

Not sure what level of agent rugby players have these days but I'd be surprised if there aren't increases in wage built in for things like internationals or club starts etc so a long contract could be possible.

11 January, 2018 18:36
According to this piece in the Torygraph, he's signed through to 2022!

HonkyTonk (IP Logged)
11 January, 2018 18:42
Quote:
talkshowhost86
Quote:
HonkyTonk
Quote:
Quinky Kin
Quote:
HonkyTonk

5 would be great!

Not sure what level of agent rugby players have these days but I'd be surprised if there aren't increases in wage built in for things like internationals or club starts etc so a long contract could be possible.

That was what I thought but, they cannot be too big an increase because of the knock on effect to the SC??

DOK (IP Logged)
11 January, 2018 19:26
I thought there were a few interesting quotes from the Telegraph story

Quote:
John Kingston, the Harlequins director of rugby, has claimed that underhand approaches from other clubs had been a factor in bringing forward the decision to award star fly-half Marcus Smith a new long-term contract.

As per RFU regulations, other clubs may not directly or indirectly approach any player who is under contract with a club or union unless the move is made in the final six months of the player’s contract, or unless the player’s club provide consent for an approach to be made prior to that period.

“Although people are not entitled to sniff around, I have my ear to the ground and I am aware of people trying to induce and pull things,” Kingston told Telegraph Sport. “I am happy not to blow the whistle on them. But for me, the reality was that it was not helping Marcus and therefore I wanted to get it sorted and quickly resolved.”

“I probably did not expect at the start of the season that he would be signing a professional deal this quickly,” Kingston admitted. “He had an academy contract. That senior contract I have given him, I am happy to tell you, takes him through to the summer of 2022.

Brown Bottle (IP Logged)
11 January, 2018 19:40
Excellent news!

BB

akb1 (IP Logged)
11 January, 2018 20:35
Marcus Smith interview Quins Youtube
[youtu.be]

Bedfordshire Boy (IP Logged)
11 January, 2018 22:39
Quote:
DOK
I thought there were a few interesting quotes from the Telegraph story
Quote:
John Kingston, the Harlequins director of rugby, has claimed that underhand approaches from other clubs had been a factor in bringing forward the decision to award star fly-half Marcus Smith a new long-term contract.

As per RFU regulations, other clubs may not directly or indirectly approach any player who is under contract with a club or union unless the move is made in the final six months of the player’s contract, or unless the player’s club provide consent for an approach to be made prior to that period.

“Although people are not entitled to sniff around, I have my ear to the ground and I am aware of people trying to induce and pull things,” Kingston told Telegraph Sport. “I am happy not to blow the whistle on them. But for me, the reality was that it was not helping Marcus and therefore I wanted to get it sorted and quickly resolved.”

“I probably did not expect at the start of the season that he would be signing a professional deal this quickly,” Kingston admitted. “He had an academy contract. That senior contract I have given him, I am happy to tell you, takes him through to the summer of 2022.

Well done JK.

11 January, 2018 22:53
JK openly saying 2022 is an incredible statement and I would have thought the contract offer must be one of the most financially exciting because the sky’s the limit for Marcus in that timeframe. Frankly, the Wonderkid is going to be worth the entry fee over that period alone. Well done Marcus, I’m really excited to watch you grow. well done JK, well done Quins, happy days!

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
11 January, 2018 23:17
Super duper.

[youtu.be]

Adi Nako (IP Logged)
12 January, 2018 07:35
Brilliant news. It's a pleasure to watch him play even when the rest of the team are playing poorly.

ChipsteadQuin (IP Logged)
12 January, 2018 09:36
Great news for all fans of Quins , I think JK has been swift and decisive on this one so credit to him for that .

I saw a message saying there will be some new 'wheels' spinning round the carpark at the Stoop which made me smile but would be well deserved ..

Interesting that he announced its a 4 1/2 year contract , which is quite lengthy but clearly says ' hands off ' ..

fandg2 (IP Logged)
12 January, 2018 09:58
Whilst obvious good news it does make me wonder on what the knock on effect is.

The money for this contract would not have been allowed for at the begining of the season, as JK would have already had a 2 year academy contract in his budget.Now JK has needed to up his money, presumably from next season, which I guess would mean there's less money about for 'other' player contracts that are coming up for renewal. Not sure who it might affect but I would guess JK needed to think long and hard on what to takeaway from 'Peter' to pay 'Paul'.

12 January, 2018 10:02
One article I've seen says that he will see out the rest of this season on his existing £30k academy contract, with his new deal (purportedly £230k) starting as of the 18/19 season.

Boonie (IP Logged)
12 January, 2018 10:02
Either way - when you have a natural talent like that, it is the right thing to do to secure his services.

It's always a balancing act...but on balance, this is good news! smiling smiley

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to bleat about it all over the internet"

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
12 January, 2018 14:58
Question for me is where does this level the cat? You don't pay 230k a year to a guy who's going to warm the bench.

poorfour (IP Logged)
12 January, 2018 16:41
Quote:
RodneyRegis
Question for me is where does this level the cat? You don't pay 230k a year to a guy who's going to warm the bench.

No, but by the same token you want him to see out that 4 year deal and beyond, and for a young player that means managing his playing time. Having the Cat, Lang and Marcus means they can be rotated, and that there are good players available when Marcus is - as seems very likely - away with England.

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
12 January, 2018 17:27
Hmm. £230k is still a huge salary under the cap, not sure you can afford to have 2 players on that kind of dosh in one position.

Mayor West (IP Logged)
12 January, 2018 17:49
Yarde's money ? Plus JK will know who is leaving at the end of the year and whats available money wise. I think we have enough wingers and we aren't missing a Yarde replacement . It is an extraordinary position we find ourselves in with three great fly halfs. Very pleasing that we have a long term commitment from Marcus.

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
12 January, 2018 18:01
I'm not sure I'm ready to describe Lang as great yet.

OldMarovian (IP Logged)
12 January, 2018 18:20
Excellent signing for you and a real statement of intent.

As someone who watches Quins games occasionally who are the players in a similar age range you'd expect to mature along with him in the next 4 season? Marchant, Walker, Clifford?

From the outside it feels like lots of your best players will be on their way out or gone towards the end of that period; Care, Robshaw, Brown, etc are their players coming through now to replace those?

HonkyTonk (IP Logged)
12 January, 2018 19:00
I think Lang has signed on already

poorfour (IP Logged)
13 January, 2018 07:04
Quote:
OldMarovian
Excellent signing for you and a real statement of intent.
As someone who watches Quins games occasionally who are the players in a similar age range you'd expect to mature along with him in the next 4 season? Marchant, Walker, Clifford?

From the outside it feels like lots of your best players will be on their way out or gone towards the end of that period; Care, Robshaw, Brown, etc are their players coming through now to replace those?

There’s no-one in quite Marcus’s age range just yet... all of those others are fine players but a fair bit older than him.

However, we have a good mix of ages in the squad. In four years we could see something like this:
Marler Elia Sinckler
Twomey Merrick
Chisholm Clifford Wallace
Lewis Smith
Sloan Marchant
Visser Morris Walker

Bench: Boyce, Buchanan, Collier, South, Lamb, Mulchrone, Lang, Cheeseman

In the academy, the kids whom Marcus has leapfrogged include Ibuanokpe, Waters, Ibitoye, Lamb and White.

DOK (IP Logged)
13 January, 2018 07:32

OldMarovian (IP Logged)
13 January, 2018 08:17
I appreciate he's very young. I guess I just meant players nearer their twenties than thirties. Asked and answered, thanks poorfour.

Is Morris injured or just having to bide his time behind Brown? Was sorry to see him leave Sarries.

13 January, 2018 09:29
Morris is injured. Due back this month was the last update...

NicoWilson (IP Logged)
13 January, 2018 22:09
Smith was a game changer today

johnlid (IP Logged)
13 January, 2018 22:25
Quote:
fandg2
Whilst obvious good news it does make me wonder on what the knock on effect is.
The money for this contract would not have been allowed for at the begining of the season, as JK would have already had a 2 year academy contract in his budget.Now JK has needed to up his money, presumably from next season, which I guess would mean there's less money about for 'other' player contracts that are coming up for renewal. Not sure who it might affect but I would guess JK needed to think long and hard on what to takeaway from 'Peter' to pay 'Paul'.

Rumour is that Roberts is off. Bit of a pity. After a slow start, he's been playing well recently. May be linked with his search for another Welsh cap but that's fine by me

QuickerQuin (IP Logged)
13 January, 2018 23:09
Quote:

Why is 'Wales Online' interested in a Harlequins/England player?

ironquin (IP Logged)
16 January, 2018 14:23
According to the BBC Rugby Union Weekly pod cast Smith was on £15,000 and his new contract is between £30,000 - £40,000.

Grins (IP Logged)
16 January, 2018 14:37
Quote:
ironquin
According to the BBC Rugby Union Weekly pod cast Smith was on £15,000 and his new contract is between £30,000 - £40,000.

I heard it differently - I thought he was on £15k at Brighton College, then on £30-40k as an Academy player and would now be on significantly more (but not the £230k rumoured).

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
16 January, 2018 16:15
Quote:
ironquin

He's done really well to secure £40k a year for the next 5 years, by which time he could be one of the best fly halfs in the world.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net