rugbyunion
Latest News:

Quinssa WebsiteQuins News from News NowQuins Official Site

Harlequins Vs Wasps - Teams up
The Blindside (IP Logged)
12 January, 2018 11:55
HARLEQUINS HAS NAMED THE MATCHDAY 23 TO FACE WASPS IN ROUND 5 OF THE EUROPEAN RUGBY CHAMPIONS CUP AT THE STOOP ON SATURDAY (KICK-OFF 17:30).

There are five changes to the starting 15 that lost out by the narrowest of margins to Sale Sharks last weekend. Mike Brown returns as vice-captain while James Lang will make his European debut in place of Marcus Smith, who signed a long-term contract with the Club this week.

In the forwards Lewis Boyce and Renaldo Bothma come in, while Archie White is named at openside flanker as Chris Robshaw picked up a minor knock in training this week.

Occupying either wing, Charlie Walker (five) and Tim Visser (four) will look to continue their fine form with the two wingers combining for nine tries since the start of December.

Ahead of the match, Harlequins Director of Rugby, John Kingston said: "While we still have a number of players missing, we have finally managed some continuity of availability, over the last few games, and I am keen to build on that.

"There are always areas of our game which need working on, and the next two matches - starting on Saturday against Wasps - will give us that opportunity against top class opposition."

Harlequins team to play Wasps (Harlequins appearances)

15. Mike Brown (Vice-captain, 292)
14. Charlie Walker (81)
13. Alofa Alofa (44)
12. Jamie Roberts (45)
11. Tim Visser (51)
10. James Lang (13)
9. Danny Care (237)

1. Lewis Boyce (11)
2. Dave Ward (Captain, 133)
3. Kyle Sinckler (112)
4. George Merrick (75)
5. Ben Glynn (15)
6. James Chisholm (46)
7. Archie White (11)
8. Renaldo Bothma (5)

16. Elia Elia (11)
17. Mark Lambert (221)
18. Phil Swainston (6)
19. Charlie Matthews (153)
20. Mat Luamanu (57)
21. Dave Lewis (6)
22. Marcus Smith (17)
23. Ross Chisholm (84)

Re: Harlequins Vs Wasps - Teams up
WellingQuin (IP Logged)
12 January, 2018 11:57
Quote:
The Blindside
Chris Robshaw picked up a minor knock in training this week.

Really hope this is just minor as they've said.

WellingQuin (IP Logged)
12 January, 2018 11:59
Wasps:

15. Willie Le Roux
14. Christian Wade
13. Brendan Macken
12. Kyle Eastmond
11. Marcus Watson
10. Danny Cipriani
9. Dan Robson
1. Simon McIntyre
2. Ashley Johnson
3. Jake Cooper-Woolley
4. Joe Launchbury ©
5. James Gaskell
6. James Haskell
7. Thomas Young
8. Nizaam Carr

Replacements

16. Tom Cruse
17. Ben Harris
18. Marty Moore
19. Kearnan Myall
20. Guy Thompson
21. Joe Simpson
22. Rob Miller
23. Guy Armitage

blucherquin (IP Logged)
12 January, 2018 12:10
Quote:
WellingQuin
Quote:
The Blindside

Europe, cup and 6 Nations - perfect timing .

Months KYT (IP Logged)
12 January, 2018 12:10
Defence coaches will be busy as usual

talkshowhost86 (IP Logged)
12 January, 2018 12:11
Really not sure I see the benefit of starting people like Care, Brown and Sinckler for a pretty much meaningless game.

But I suppose it will make it a better game for the fans.

WellingQuin (IP Logged)
12 January, 2018 12:14
Quote:
blucherquin
Quote:
WellingQuin
Quote:
The Blindside

Europe, cup and 6 Nations - perfect timing .

Ahh yh good point actually, could have easily happened at a worse time in the season.

12 January, 2018 12:17
They probably had to tell Robshaw he had an injury, even if he doesn't, just to stop him playing in this game.

blucherquin (IP Logged)
12 January, 2018 12:17
Still no Catrakilis, Saili or Horwill.

DOK. (IP Logged)
12 January, 2018 12:18
Well, as I said, if they can all practice their defensive skills, alignments etc... in an environment where the outcome doesn't really matter... we'll probably thump Wasps! smiling smiley

HonkyTonk (IP Logged)
12 January, 2018 12:21
Quote:
blucherquin
Still no Catrakilis, Saili or Horwill.

Wasnt the Cat and Horwill expected nearer the end of the month??

12 January, 2018 12:21
It's certainly a beatable Wasps team if we're up for it.

Having named a strong team I really hope they are all focused to win it, as if we don't give 100% then we may as well have named as weak a team as possible.

T-Bone (IP Logged)
12 January, 2018 12:25
Strong team, but suspect next week will be a different story. Should be a decent game

dr_miles (IP Logged)
12 January, 2018 12:55
Quote:
talkshowhost86
Really not sure I see the benefit of starting people like Care, Brown and Sinckler for a pretty much meaningless game.

I think that I saw someone mention on a different thread that we can only pick from the declared squad for the competition, therefore we can't just bring in second string players - hence Brown, Care etc playing.

12 January, 2018 12:58
Quote:
dr_miles
Quote:
talkshowhost86

I think that I saw someone mention on a different thread that we can only pick from the declared squad for the competition, therefore we can't just bring in second string players - hence Brown, Care etc playing.

Yeah we're limited to who we've registered, although we've got the right to register 41 players (and then 3 injury replacements) so we should have had a big enough squad to select from.

But even from the 23 we've selected I'd have rather seen starts for Elia, Swainston, Matthews, Lewis and Chisholm.

HonkyTonk (IP Logged)
12 January, 2018 13:08
Maybe we do not want to risk injuries to them. Play the england boys as they will be missing soon anyway

12 January, 2018 14:12
Quote:
HonkyTonk
Maybe we do not want to risk injuries to them. Play the england boys as they will be missing soon anyway

Interesting theory.

I just think some of those players need some game time before coming into a very important stage of the season. This would have been a good chance to give it to them, because if we do it against La Rochelle next week that's could just be a chastening experience rather than being particularly helpful.

Monte (IP Logged)
12 January, 2018 15:41
I am very pleased Robshaw is not playing he has had not time off at all, whether he is injured or not heís had a very heavy work load.

HonkyTonk (IP Logged)
12 January, 2018 16:04
Quote:
talkshowhost86
Quote:
HonkyTonk

Interesting theory.

I just think some of those players need some game time before coming into a very important stage of the season. This would have been a good chance to give it to them, because if we do it against La Rochelle next week that's could just be a chastening experience rather than being particularly helpful.

Keep the same side next week also. If we want to give a few guys game time before the Prem starts up again we can have a mixed LV cup team. A few play one week, then swap over the following week

12 January, 2018 16:09
Quote:
HonkyTonk
Quote:
talkshowhost86
Quote:
HonkyTonk

Interesting theory.

Keep the same side next week also. If we want to give a few guys game time before the Prem starts up again we can have a mixed LV cup team. A few play one week, then swap over the following week

I suppose it also depends on how seriously we're taking the Anglo Welsh.

We've played reasonably strong teams in that tournament so far, but that was mainly because all of our squad was injured so we had no choice.

Quinten Poulsen (IP Logged)
12 January, 2018 16:42
I think the strongest team has been picked as they'll be desperate to win.

Buzzboy (IP Logged)
13 January, 2018 07:56
[quote talkshowhost86]It's certainly a beatable Wasps team if we're up for it.

Any of our teams is beatable, depending on how important we decide defence is, compared to arrack! It must drive Dai mad.
But in truth, thatís a pretty strong Wasps team, considering our recent injuries. I fancy us to score 3 or 4 tries. Just a matter of will you score 5?! Whatís Langís kicking like?
May the best team win!

The Dead Baron (IP Logged)
13 January, 2018 08:17
We're gonna get mullered.

blucherquin (IP Logged)
13 January, 2018 11:54
[quote Buzzboy][quote talkshowhost86]It's certainly a beatable Wasps team if we're up for it.

Any of our teams is beatable, depending on how important we decide defence is, compared to arrack! It must drive Dai mad.
But in truth, thatís a pretty strong Wasps team, considering our recent injuries. I fancy us to score 3 or 4 tries. Just a matter of will you score 5?! Whatís Langís kicking like?
May the best team win![/quote]

Lang is good - would be/still is new potential future star if Smith hadn't showed up

HonkyTonk (IP Logged)
13 January, 2018 12:06
I agree about Lang. I think he has a bit of distance in that boot as well

T-Bone (IP Logged)
13 January, 2018 17:54
Monsieur poite has dropped un bollo....

PeterboroughQuin (IP Logged)
13 January, 2018 19:13
Haskell powerful hit on Roberts and Roberts down.

Too high and shoulder into Roberts jaw.

Haskell RED CARD

HonkyTonk (IP Logged)
13 January, 2018 19:14
Roberts must have squirted him with water when no one was looking

13 January, 2018 19:24
Brilliant stuff. Great come back Quins!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net