rugbyunion
Latest News:

Quinssa WebsiteQuins News from News NowQuins Official Site

Any transfer progress from quins before the 18/19 season
quinsfan123 (IP Logged)
13 January, 2018 08:42
Heard we're linked with Henry Trinder and Ben Tapuai in the centres but don't think we need strengthening in this area. Next season could definitely do with a big bruiser of a second row, a nine to provide competitive back up to Care, and a few front rowers.

Re: Any transfer progress from quins before the 18/19 season
Navyquin (IP Logged)
13 January, 2018 08:55
I thought Trinder signed a new deal at Gloucester.

quinsfan123 (IP Logged)
13 January, 2018 09:02
My bad.. yes he has

HonkyTonk (IP Logged)
13 January, 2018 09:19
We have been linked with

Auterac - Bath (Prop)
Symmons _ Wasps (Lock)
Earle - Sarries (Winger)

If you believe the rumours these are pretty much certain

Others linked are/were

Tapuai - Bath (Centre)
Atonio - La Rochelle (Prop)
Cordero - Jaguares (Winger)
Trinder - Gloucs (Centre) Not Happening

I am sure there have been a couple more but they escape me.

As for outs

Gray - France
Clifford - France (cannot see it myself)
Roberts
Matthews - Saints

PQ2 (IP Logged)
13 January, 2018 10:48
Now I'm confused - I saw Ben Tapuai playing last night vs Scarletts; he didn't look injured at all! ?!?

-Mind you, he looks like he'll fit right in with our defensive strategy; he wasn't the only one, but he did seem to spend the night watching the Scarlett whizz by..

[Talking of Scarletts, we have a big upcoming problem on the 27th. -Or is that 'thread hi-jacking'?]

No pun intended.

quinsfan123 (IP Logged)
13 January, 2018 10:56
Would be a shame to see Clifford go but as you suggested sounds unlikely when he is so close to being a regular with England. As for Matthews frankly would be brilliant if we could offload him to Saints as he's useless and career seriously stagnated. And Joe Gray has only played twice for quins this season in all competitions.

DOK (IP Logged)
13 January, 2018 15:06
Bath Chronicle confirms Ben Tapuai and Nick Auterac will both leave Bath Rugby for Harlequins at the end of the season.

HonkyTonk (IP Logged)
13 January, 2018 15:18
Im happy with that

HonkyTonk (IP Logged)
13 January, 2018 15:26
Had a quick nose on the Bath board, not sure if I am reading this right. Before it was announced he was off Tapuai was worth/a must keep etc. Now he is off most are not really bothered!!

talkshowhost86 (IP Logged)
13 January, 2018 15:44
Sailli, Marchant, Sloan and Tapuai is a reasonable selection of centres with Lang, Alofa and Cheeseman as options as well.

Auterac presumably in for Lambert.

Earle effectively in for Yarde.

Symmons in for Matthews.

All reasonable signings but not sure any make us considerably stronger though.

Bolly-Quin (IP Logged)
14 January, 2018 10:08
Quote:
quinsfan123
As for Matthews frankly would be brilliant if we could offload him to Saints as he's useless and career seriously stagnated.

Frankly, you’re a sausage.

HonkyTonk (IP Logged)
14 January, 2018 10:12
TRP seems to think he is off to wasps

Dave L (IP Logged)
14 January, 2018 10:31
Quote:
talkshowhost86
Sailli, Marchant, Sloan and Tapuai is a reasonable selection of centres with Lang, Alofa and Cheeseman as options as well.

Earle effectively in for Yarde.

Symmons in for Matthews.

All reasonable signings but not sure any make us considerably stronger though.

Probably improves us during the international windows and adds some depth but agree it probably doesn’t improve the first team much.

Nev's Left Boot (IP Logged)
14 January, 2018 10:46
If you start with the premise that Quins have a strong squad (which i think they do and a lot of people on here think they do, otherwise we wouldn't call for coaches heads, we'd call for better players) - then getting similar replacements for squad players would be about continuing the squad depth and maintaining the quality.

There is only so much money in the cap, Quins have some big name players earning big money

Brown
Visser
Roberts
DC
Marler
Sinkler
Horwill
Clifford
Robshaw
Saili

Lambo / Collier / Gray / Marchant / Catrikalis / Smith / Bothma / Merrick - All must be on good deals as well.

The thing with a salary cap is to find quality where others don't see it - the ability to improve raw materials, or a player with a certain skill set that will complement (improve) other parts of our game.

It should be a marginal gains exercise....if Tapuai replaces Roberts, for less money but does the same job, then a proportion of Roberts money can be spent elsewhere. Perhaps that is where we find the money for Smith, who at the start of the season would have earnt much less. Same with Earle - even on an improved deal he is not going to be earning what Marland was earning. But if he can do the same job....

Personally think this is a dud recruitment, as i feel Ibitoye is the Marland replacement and will be cheaper than Earle - I also don't think Earle has shown enough in his time with Sarries to be a worthwhile recruitment - If you can't look good playing for Sarries then how will you look playing for Quins. Or is Visser also off - at which point the wings are Walker, Ibitoye and Earle....

It's all a trade off - look at Wasps, they have a smaller squad and spend their money differently...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 14/01/2018 10:55 by Nev's Left Boot.

quinsfan123 (IP Logged)
14 January, 2018 10:47

Where's Lambert off to or is he retiring?

Quins4life (IP Logged)
14 January, 2018 11:14
Quote:
quinsfan123
Where's Lambert off to or is he retiring?

Auterac is a weird one one. Marler is our clear first choice and i have been very impressed with Boyce when he has been given the chance. But nothing wrong with having too many good players. More the merrier.

raedarius (IP Logged)
14 January, 2018 13:36
I would expect Mikalcius to be Visser's understudy, and ultimate replacement, unless I am mixing wings up.

poorfour (IP Logged)
14 January, 2018 14:11
I think the dynamic of squads is changing. Teams are recognising that with injuries they need several players of similar ability, and players are recognising that they benefit from a rotation policy in terms of being challenged and of career longevity.

So it seems to be more common now to have either several similar players (say Ward, Gray, Buchanan and Elia, all of whom have arguably been the form first choice at different times) or the established senior player / rising star mix (where we would have been with the Cat, Lang and Smith, but for Smith's meteoric trajectory).

I think it's doable to have three good players vying to start, and experience has shown that we really need that kind of depth. I think we are there or thereabouts in most positions, but we need more experience at lock and centre, and perhaps wing.

DOK (IP Logged)
14 January, 2018 15:16
I think we were caught out in JK's first season by all the International call ups. We now recruit people like Horwill and Bothma, class acts that will be there all season. And we still get more money than most for having an English qualified matchday team!

johnlid (IP Logged)
14 January, 2018 15:46
But it seems that Bothma might be out injured again

Navyquin (IP Logged)
15 January, 2018 07:50
Quote:
quinsfan123
My bad.. yes he has
shame though

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net