rugbyunion
Latest News:

Quinssa WebsiteQuins News from News NowQuins Official Site

Quins Defense
Bedfordshire Boy (IP Logged)
27 January, 2018 18:42
Just about faultless today, very very impressive.

Re: Quins Defense
Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
27 January, 2018 19:04
Sadly had to rely on Twitter for updates. Did we play especially well? Were the oppo particularly poor? Was this because we defended well, or they offer littl ein attack, or both?

quin_jon (IP Logged)
27 January, 2018 19:14
I would have said it was a combination of both, but the fact that I don't think we missed a first up tackle all game was probably the most pleasing aspect of the defence.

SiBolton (IP Logged)
27 January, 2018 19:14
Have to agree with that great in defence, and only a couple of handling errors in attack

Thought just under 10k attendance was pretty good.

Anyone know if the game against Saints on Friday night is televised?

27 January, 2018 19:22
Best defensive performance that I have seen from any side for a long time, even when the defensive line was breached players were getting back to cover. Scarlets were a bit disappointing if I am honest and in one attack they "progressed" from 5 metres from the Quins line to the half way line as Quins pushed them further and further back. Vintage Quins today.

GrubbyQuin (IP Logged)
27 January, 2018 19:23
Itís on BT Sport 1

27 January, 2018 19:23
Quote:
SiBolton
Have to agree with that great in defence, and only a couple of handling errors in attack
Thought just under 10k attendance was pretty good.

Anyone know if the game against Saints on Friday night is televised?

It is televised Si.

SiBolton (IP Logged)
27 January, 2018 19:36
Ok thanks, was looking at how I could get to the Gardens but thatís solved that problem

DOK (IP Logged)
27 January, 2018 19:43
Defence was excellent today. Every time they got the ball, we smashed them back. Every time they recycled they were 5 yards further back than the previous recycle point. Considering this was in many ways a scratch team not used to playing together, it was very impressive.

rdc (IP Logged)
27 January, 2018 20:00
Quote:
Bedfordshire Boy
Just about faultless today, very very impressive.

Totally agree,said elsewhere,this was our best defensive set this season. Lots of focus and hard work across the board

talkshowhost86 (IP Logged)
27 January, 2018 20:17
Quote:
DOK
Defence was excellent today. Every time they got the ball, we smashed them back. Every time they recycled they were 5 yards further back than the previous recycle point. Considering this was in many ways a scratch team not used to playing together, it was very impressive.

Agreed.

Was a very 'together' performance today and whilst I'm not sure that Scarlets team was up to much, that shouldn't detract from how well structured our scratch team was.

Actually put our first team to shame a bit in our professionalism and structure.

TeddingtonQuin (IP Logged)
27 January, 2018 20:13
Quote:
talkshowhost86

Actually put our first team to shame a bit in our professionalism and structure.

Agreed that the defensive performance (as well as everything else) today, have we actually seen our 1st (or 1st choice) team play this season?!

West Stand, Block FD, Row S (if renewed)
@JT075 #COYQ

blucherquin (IP Logged)
27 January, 2018 20:57
At one point they got the ball from a turnover 10m out from our try line, 2 mins later our defence meant we were on theirs and only didnít score because of a knock on.

Canít remeber us defending so well. Nearly every time they got the ball, an attack would result in them going back about 10 yards.

27 January, 2018 21:06
Quote:
TeddingtonQuin
Quote:
talkshowhost86

Agreed that the defensive performance (as well as everything else) today, have we actually seen our 1st (or 1st choice) team play this season?!

We've seen plenty of 'first teams' look much more disorganised than the team today.

I'm hoping today is a show that we've got more of a plan than just 'let the boys play'.

TeddingtonQuin (IP Logged)
27 January, 2018 21:05
Yes, I'd definitely agree with that. My point was that I don't think we've seen our 1st choice team this season.

West Stand, Block FD, Row S (if renewed)
@JT075 #COYQ

27 January, 2018 21:35
Quote:
TeddingtonQuin
Yes, I'd definitely agree with that. My point was that I don't think we've seen our 1st choice team this season.

I agree but not really sure why that's relevant.

Our coaching staff could get that team today to defend well so why can't they get our 'better' players to do it? Because we have had stronger teams available who have been much worse defensively.

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
27 January, 2018 21:46
Defence was magnificent today.

Bolly-Quin (IP Logged)
27 January, 2018 22:29
Iím not one for being negative usually, but Scarelts were pretty poor - they made us look much better. Their runners were almost always static receiving the ball and made it easy for our rush defence who pretty much kept Scarlets on the back foot all game, until their reserve fly half came on for Botica (just like his brother!), who managed to inject more pace into Scarlets. Why they didnít start with him is a bit of a mystery!

However, Quins were far more organised as mentioned above and you can only play whatís in front of you.

Cheeseman has a good game and Ibitoye made some strong runs, as did Chisholm the younger, Matthews and Lambert. I thought Lang played well too.

Saintquin (IP Logged)
28 January, 2018 11:59
Quote:
talkshowhost86
Quote:
TeddingtonQuin

I agree but not really sure why that's relevant.

Our coaching staff could get that team today to defend well so why can't they get our 'better' players to do it? Because we have had stronger teams available who have been much worse defensively.

Maybe because they're playing against far better opposition!

Harlequins, (was once) probably the best rugby club in the world!
(Sm115)(Sm115)(Sm115)

Stooperman (IP Logged)
28 January, 2018 13:48
Very much feeling glass half full rather than half empty after that performance. I don't know why its taken a season to do it, but by god the defence was fantastic yesterday.

As has been mentioned above, the passage of play where they had 15-20 phases, & we knocked them steadily backwards from about 7-8m out all the way back to the 10m line, then hacked through to be camped on their 5m line was particularly memorable.

I take back a little of my previous criticism of the defence coaching, with the caveat that this has to be maintained and not just a flash in the pan.

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
28 January, 2018 14:34
Quote:
Stooperman
Very much feeling glass half full rather than half empty after that performance. I don't know why its taken a season to do it, but by god the defence was fantastic yesterday.
As has been mentioned above, the passage of play where they had 15-20 phases, & we knocked them steadily backwards from about 7-8m out all the way back to the 10m line, then hacked through to be camped on their 5m line was particularly memorable.

I take back a little of my previous criticism of the defence coaching, with the caveat that this has to be maintained and not just a flash in the pan.

It makes you wonder if the defence system that is frequently mentioned is finally working, or whether it's been changed, or even completely binned. Are players finally trusting it and sticking with it; are they just now getting to grips with it; are people just tackling better on the first attempt?

T-Bone (IP Logged)
28 January, 2018 14:55
Very good to hear. Hoping I can find some highlights

Stooperman (IP Logged)
28 January, 2018 15:02
Quote:
Quinky Kin
Quote:
Stooperman

It makes you wonder if the defence system that is frequently mentioned is finally working, or whether it's been changed, or even completely binned. Are players finally trusting it and sticking with it; are they just now getting to grips with it; are people just tackling better on the first attempt?

Very good point.

I felt our line speed was much better yesterday, & we seemed to be relying on tackling early in midfield rather than drifting which we seemed to have been doing previously. Perhaps the systems has been changed and is more readily understandable & better adopted than the previous one.

Anyway, however they do it, if its working lets stick with it.

SiBolton (IP Logged)
28 January, 2018 15:04
Looked good yesterday, reading reviews of Sale v Saints game, I think we will be in for a much tougher test on Frida6 night as Saints seem to be fielding their fist team, much like Not Nots

28 January, 2018 19:33
Quote:
SiBolton
Looked good yesterday, reading reviews of Sale v Saints game, I think we will be in for a much tougher test on Frida6 night as Saints seem to be fielding their fist team, much like Not Nots

Steve Diamond had some scathing remarks about Saints in The Rugby Paper, I guess the new DOR is using the competition to get a winning mentality back into the squad. As you say, it will be a much sterner test.

SiBolton (IP Logged)
28 January, 2018 19:46
Itís so unlike Diamond to moan about the result isnít it [:wor kid:]

But he does have a point, would be good if AW had a limit on amount of first team players

ChequeredJersey2 (IP Logged)
28 January, 2018 23:30
Quote:
T-Bone

[www.premiershiprugby.com]

from 9am tomorrow

fandg2 (IP Logged)
29 January, 2018 09:52
Quote:
T-Bone

Tonight on channel 5 at 19:00

29 January, 2018 12:50

QuickerQuin (IP Logged)
29 January, 2018 13:55
Quote:
Bedfordshire Boy
Best defensive performance that I have seen from any side for a long time, even when the defensive line was breached players were getting back to cover. Scarlets were a bit disappointing if I am honest and in one attack they "progressed" from 5 metres from the Quins line to the half way line as Quins pushed them further and further back. Vintage Quins today.

I think that is the period of play that I remember best. It was early in the second half, 5 or 10 minutes in. Terrific!

How to attack while defending!

BTW someone tell him, the word 'defence' is spelt without an 's', but with a 'c'.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net