rugbyunion
Latest News:

Quinssa WebsiteQuins News from News NowQuins Official Site

Quins and 'the corner'.....
TeddingtonQuin (IP Logged)
28 January, 2018 10:40
.... have we turned it, are we turning g it or have we not reached it yet?

Yes, I know we've just beaten a poor Scarlets team but some of what we did was excellent and we were a scratch team, cobbled together from academy youngsters (as IMHO the competition is about), some fringe players and others returning from injury. Good to see that too especially Luke and Sam. What particularly impressed me yesterday was the defence, especially when we pushed them back from within a metre of our try line to halfway

We've also had a fantastic comeback win over a Wasps team fighting for their European place and a creditable performance away to La Rochelle, both with an injury ravaged team.

I have been a critic of the coaching team and was one of those stunned by JK's appointment but I'm open to the idea that I may have underestimated him and the rest of the coaches.

West Stand, Block FD, Row S
@JT075 #COYQ

Re: Quins and 'the corner'.....
Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
28 January, 2018 10:48
Quote:
TeddingtonQuin
.... have we turned it, are we turning g it or have we not reached it yet?
Yes, I know we've just beaten a poor Scarlets team but some of what we did was excellent and we were a scratch team, cobbled together from academy youngsters (as IMHO the competition is about), some fringe players and others returning from injury. Good to see that too especially Luke and Sam. What particularly impressed me yesterday was the defence, especially when we pushed them back from within a metre of our try line to halfway

We've also had a fantastic comeback win over a Wasps team fighting for their European place and a creditable performance away to La Rochelle, both with an injury ravaged team.

I have been a critic of the coaching team and was one of those stunned by JK's appointment but I'm open to the idea that I may have underestimated him and the rest of the coaches.

Well said, and very decent of you to say that.

The desire for instant and sustained success is understandable but unrealistic. If we maintain progress it's a good thing. Let's hope we can now get the magic ingredient that's been missing all along... Consistency.

blucherquin (IP Logged)
28 January, 2018 11:34
Speaking of “the corner” - am I right in thinking there was a “chant off” between the corners of the north and west stands or did I dream it?

28 January, 2018 11:44
Yes, I think you're right and it seemed to me that the West won it but then they are nearest to my seat (Sm128)

@JT075 #COYQ

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 28/01/2018 11:46 by TeddingtonQuin.

28 January, 2018 11:52
Quote:
Quinky Kin

The desire for instant and sustained success is understandable but unrealistic. If we maintain progress it's a good thing. Let's hope we can now get the magic ingredient that's been missing all along... Consistency.

Thanks but I've not said all is OK yet, just that I've softened my opposition slightly! Baby steps!

@JT075 #COYQ

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
28 January, 2018 12:06
Quote:
TeddingtonQuin
Quote:
Quinky Kin

Thanks but I've not said all is OK yet, just that I've softened my opposition slightly! Baby steps!

Absolutely! Merely hearing someone say they may have underestimated is welcome as it shows that opinions aren't always entrenched.

talkshowhost86 (IP Logged)
28 January, 2018 13:10
The corner isn't turned until we see the consistency.

We've seen too many good performances backed up by disorganised tosh in the next game to say we've turned the corner yet.

It's good to see some of our players getting back to fitness though as that can only help if we are ever going to turn the corner.

poorfour (IP Logged)
28 January, 2018 13:58
Let's see if they can settle into a rhythm, but the hope was always that with some injury returnees we would find a bit extra. I am inclined to think that having Marchant back will make a big difference, as will having Wallace available.

The games over the 6N are all winnable given the returning talent available to us, and if we can put a run of form together we have an easier run in than we have had in recent seasons.

Cookie (IP Logged)
28 January, 2018 14:02
A 'scratch team cobbled together with academy youngsters' isn't how I'd describe them. 17 of the 23 came through the academy, so will have been well drilled on our processes.

I think our regular strong performances in this competition is down to the strength of the academy. The bookies had us as 28 point favourites, so the result was exactly as predicted.

Still enjoyable, mind.

28 January, 2018 14:03
Yes, consistency is important but since our capitulations to Ulster, I'd say we've been pretty consitant, far more so than the 1st half of the season:

Harlequins 50-21 Northampton Saints
BG10 our biggest win over Saints. OK they've not been good by any stretch of the imagination but besides us only Salarycens have put 50 points on them

Sale Sharks 30-29 Harlequins
Losing by a point away at the AJ Bell was a decent result as we'd have won without the brain fart. They've only lost 2 at home on the AP this season and drew with Toulouse

Harlequins 33-28 Wasps
An amazing comeback from 0-21 so yes, inconsistency in defence but what a performance to do so!

La Rochelle 16-7 Harlequins
In a must win for La Rochelle, Quins held them to a much closer result than either Ulster or Wasps in a performance widely described as 'gutsy'

Harlequins 35-7 Scarlets
A great performance from a scratch team as described elsewhere. Defence was excellent and we looked dangerous in attack

I'd say that while we may not be quite as consistent as we'd all like, I think that considering the changes in personnel enforced on us by injuries and call ups, we have been pretty consistent since out European ambitions were quashed. Maybe that was a blessing in disguise as something of a wake up call for the squad and coaching team.

@JT075 #COYQ

28 January, 2018 14:11
Quote:
Cookie
A 'scratch team cobbled together with academy youngsters' isn't how I'd describe them. 17 of the 23 came through the academy, so will have been well drilled on our processes.
I think our regular strong performances in this competition is down to the strength of the academy. The bookies had us as 28 point favourites, so the result was exactly as predicted.

Still enjoyable, mind.

A mixture of youngsters and those returning from injury is what I was getting at. I was surprised to see how long Luke and Joe stayed on considering their long lay - offs

@JT075 #COYQ

T-Bone (IP Logged)
28 January, 2018 15:01
Hmmm, not convinced we've turned a corner yet. You can put a positive spin on the losses, but we've won three and lost three in our last six games I think. Not bad losses, and I do think we're improving, but think we're still too inconsistent. Hope we are getting there though

blucherquin (IP Logged)
28 January, 2018 17:04
Quote:
T-Bone
Hmmm, not convinced we've turned a corner yet. You can put a positive spin on the losses, but we've won three and lost three in our last six games I think. Not bad losses, and I do think we're improving, but think we're still too inconsistent. Hope we are getting there though

That is a bit harsh - we lost two of those away by one point at places where a win is hard and one was away to La Rochelle where we did better than anyone else and had njthingg to play for. One of our losses was because of one action by Marler.

Agreed if we were on form we wouldn’t have lost those games but still - it feels a lost more consistent to me.

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
28 January, 2018 19:29
Quote:
TeddingtonQuin
Yes, I think you're right and it seemed to me that the West won it but then they are nearest to my seat (Sm128)

They did, but they were much better choreographed. Good fun though, and the players seemed to enjoy it - Joe marchant was watching incredulously when we had a scrum over on the right. Hopefully it can become a tradition.

Nev's Left Boot (IP Logged)
28 January, 2018 19:35
Simply NO.

We are as inconsistent as we were at the start of the season.

However there is a good team spirit present and good competition for places with players returning from injury and others having had a chance to push their case, more than they may have expected.

I hope this can push us to a new level in terms of commitment and getting out of the rut of being able to get up for big/important matches whilst dropping off at other times. time will tell.

ChequeredJersey2 (IP Logged)
28 January, 2018 23:41
I think 3 good games in a row is the best we've managed this season and last so we are more consistent, by our low recent standards!

Boonie (IP Logged)
29 January, 2018 12:47
Quote:
blucherquin
Quote:
T-Bone

That is a bit harsh - we lost two of those away by one point at places where a win is hard and one was away to La Rochelle where we did better than anyone else and had njthingg to play for. One of our losses was because of one action by Marler.

Agreed if we were on form we wouldn’t have lost those games but still - it feels a lost more consistent to me.

Clearly, what we need is njthingg to play for each week...

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to bleat about it all over the internet"

Cookie (IP Logged)
29 January, 2018 13:11
Quote:
Boonie
Quote:
blucherquin
Quote:
T-Bone

One of the big problems last year is that dug ourselves a hole so deep, even the amazing comebacks fell short e.g. Newcastle, Exeter.

I'll be more convinced when we start winning convincingly from the front in competitions that matter e.g. Big Game 10 rather than needing to come back from big deficits to lose (Sale) or nick a win (Wasps), bearing in mind the latter of these two mattered not a jot.

Performances are improving, though, and wins of any nature build momentum.

Three of the next 4 games are at home and the other is away to a vulnerable Leicester side. To get back in the top 4 mix we need to be winning the home games and give ourselves a chance at Welford Road. Then we can talk about turning corners.

Scaramouche (IP Logged)
29 January, 2018 14:26
Its taken Deano some time to get Falcons going upwards.

Rodders you p-lonker!

Bolly-Quin (IP Logged)
29 January, 2018 15:20
Quote:
Scaramouche
Its taken Deano some time to get Falcons going upwards.

And Quins...

29 January, 2018 16:14
Quote:
Cookie
Quote:
Boonie
Quote:
blucherquin
Quote:
T-Bone

One of the big problems last year is that dug ourselves a hole so deep, even the amazing comebacks fell short e.g. Newcastle, Exeter.

I'll be more convinced when we start winning convincingly from the front in competitions that matter e.g. Big Game 10 rather than needing to come back from big deficits to lose (Sale) or nick a win (Wasps), bearing in mind the latter of these two mattered not a jot.

Performances are improving, though, and wins of any nature build momentum.

Three of the next 4 games are at home and the other is away to a vulnerable Leicester side. To get back in the top 4 mix we need to be winning the home games and give ourselves a chance at Welford Road. Then we can talk about turning corners.

Agree that the next 4 Premiership games will be a good indicator of where we are and whether we're moving forwards or not.

As you say we've got three home games, and Leicester are all over the shop at the moment, plus we've got quite a few players returning from injury. And whilst we will be hit by the internationals leaving for the 6Ns, so will the teams we're playing (bar maybe Newcastle) so we can't really blame that too much.

If we win three out of those four games (ideally all four but four in a row is always tricky) then I'll start to believe we've turned a corner.

If we continue our one win, one loss pattern then I think it'll show that we're still approaching the corner, let alone starting to turn it.

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
02 February, 2018 20:00
Evidently not.

03 February, 2018 13:12
Quote:
RodneyRegis
Evidently not.

Doesn't appear so.

Similar team. Completely different performance.

Was it just because we were playing proper opposition this time? Or was it that we yet again can't keep up our standards for two games in a row.

Possibly a combination of both but either way it's clear we're not around that corner yet.

DOK (IP Logged)
03 February, 2018 13:12
We were much better second half. I hate the way we can't seem to fix our problems on the pitch but have to wait until the coaches tell us what to do at half time.

It wasn't that Saints took their foot off the gas second half, they didn't.

Those individual errors in the first half that led to tries, they just killed the game for us.

This was how I expected us to play last week. So maybe it's the quality of opposition that made the difference.

I still think we will turn the corner in the premiership, but frankly I'd be happy if Exeter got 5 points today and we didn't have to worry about the AW.

kevin (IP Logged)
03 February, 2018 14:21
Don’t know about corners but we’re deffo round the bend!

Quinten Poulsen (IP Logged)
03 February, 2018 14:47
Quote:
DOK
We were much better second half.

I'm not so sure DOK. Maybe on the scoreboard we were.

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
03 February, 2018 15:05
Quote:
Quinten Poulsen
Quote:
DOK
We were much better second half.

I'm not so sure DOK. Maybe on the scoreboard we were.

Just wait. By Tuesday he'll be convinced we were the better side throughout.

DOK (IP Logged)
03 February, 2018 17:10
Better than than the way some people are permanently! smiling smiley

03 February, 2018 20:35
Well on today's performance it has to be a NO

Defence was back to it's worst with so many individual errors and little attacking threat. I think the attitude was wrong with 'only needing a point' and not up for winning it.

Selection wasn't an issue IMHO as I think our 1st (or best available) team) would have been more complacent thinking about the 50 points at BG10

@JT075 #COYQ

Stooperman (IP Logged)
04 February, 2018 10:21
I think you'll find that we are very nearly at the summit, then things will get easier on the downhill slope, after that its a short trip through the tunnel before we find the light at the end...from there its a short trip to sunny uplands...and I think the corner is 2nd on the left after the traffic lights.(Sm42)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net