rugbyunion
Latest News:

Quinssa WebsiteQuins News from News NowQuins Official Site

Saili
Cookie (IP Logged)
28 January, 2018 14:16
Was out on the beers with Zebo last night, apparently. Still can't train.

Re: Saili
SiBolton (IP Logged)
28 January, 2018 14:26
Heard last week, heís training, but not playing

Starting to make PDJ look like he was a good investment

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
28 January, 2018 14:29
Quote:
SiBolton

That's harsh... Sailli did more in his few minutes that PDJ did throughout his whole contract.

blucherquin (IP Logged)
28 January, 2018 14:47
Quote:
SiBolton

Well thatís harsh.

PDJ is a talentless bench filler grabbing whatever money he can while never making any effort.

Saili is a top class AB capped centre who took a horrible knock to the head - and sadly looks like he may never come back like Reddish.

SiBolton (IP Logged)
28 January, 2018 14:56
Blimey, a bit of humour doesnít travel well on here, it was a bit tongue in cheek

Ok serious mode, how many times have we heard he should be back, think itís 3 now.
You have to wonder when Easter mentioned certain players who didnt seem to want to play you have to wonder if heís one of them
Iím in no doubt he can be a real assets to the club, but at the moment heís just a drain on resources

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 28/01/2018 14:57 by SiBolton.

Quinten Poulsen (IP Logged)
28 January, 2018 15:15
You think he may not be playing because he doesnít want to rather than because of concussion issues?

Jus-Quin-Time (IP Logged)
28 January, 2018 15:21
Saili spoke in the members bar yesterday, before the game. He declared that it would be at least 6 weeks before he would be able to play again but he wasn't particularly convincing.

SiBolton (IP Logged)
28 January, 2018 16:24
Must be serious, another 6 weeks maybe see him in March then

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 28/01/2018 16:53 by SiBolton.

blucherquin (IP Logged)
28 January, 2018 16:59
Quote:
SiBolton

It was a brutal knock to the head.

Iím assuming calling him a drain on resource wasnít meant seriously as well.

As I say, only Reddish has been out for as long with a head injury and he was told never to play again.

Hope it isnít the same for Saili but fear it is.

HonkyTonk (IP Logged)
28 January, 2018 17:02
How long was Chisholm jr out??

blucherquin (IP Logged)
28 January, 2018 17:06
[quote HonkyTonk]How long was Chisholm jr out??[/quote

Over the summer - but Saili is now since start of October so itís four months already....

NicoWilson (IP Logged)
28 January, 2018 17:10
Quote:
blucherquin
<snip>
PDJ is a talentless bench filler grabbing whatever money he can while never making any effort.

<snip>

Not sure I completely agree that he's talentless. James Haskell did give him a leading role in a film he was making:

PDJ appears in a film

SiBolton (IP Logged)
28 January, 2018 17:38
Quote:
blucherquin
Quote:
SiBolton

It was a brutal knock to the head.

Iím assuming calling him a drain on resource wasnít meant seriously as well.

As I say, only Reddish has been out for as long with a head injury and he was told never to play again.

Hope it isnít the same for Saili but fear it is.

Saying about a drain on resources is just stating that I imagine his care is expensive and so far has made no impact for the club, hence a cost only
I really do hope he recovers and all is well and would love to see him on the pitch making an impact .
I imagine itís hugely frustrating for the coaching team that ( arguably) the two biggest signings for the season have been out for a long time and had very little game time

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 28/01/2018 17:56 by SiBolton.

quinsfan123 (IP Logged)
28 January, 2018 19:00
Feel like Saili is only here for the money. Happy to sit on the sidelines getting paid £280,000 + and pretending he is still injured - pathetic. If I was JK I would terminate his contract.

talkshowhost86 (IP Logged)
28 January, 2018 19:11
Quote:
quinsfan123
Feel like Saili is only here for the money. Happy to sit on the sidelines getting paid ÔŅĹ280,000 + and pretending he is still injured - pathetic. If I was JK I would terminate his contract.

Presumably not serious?

quinsfan123 (IP Logged)
28 January, 2018 19:05
Yes, but it is a shame with Saili as it would be nice to see what our strongest side is.

GrubbyQuin (IP Logged)
28 January, 2018 19:37
Presumably Sailliís cost to the club is being paid by an insurer who will quite possibly be monitoring the situation to make sure that he isnít ďpretending he is still injuredĒ.

Bellyfull (IP Logged)
28 January, 2018 19:48
Struggle to see how you could insure a player being injured and getting them to pay his wages. Can you imagine how much premium that would cost a rugby club. You may get insurance against career ending injuries but surely not the normal run of the mill injuries.

Rocker (IP Logged)
28 January, 2018 20:09
Quote:
GrubbyQuin
Presumably Sailliís cost to the club is being paid by an insurer who will quite possibly be monitoring the situation to make sure that he isnít ďpretending he is still injuredĒ.

No such insurance exists. Mark Evans was quite clear on that some years ago.

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
28 January, 2018 20:25
I believe footballers have insurance, specifically against career ending injuries.

Bedfordshire Boy (IP Logged)
28 January, 2018 20:34
Quote:
quinsfan123
Feel like Saili is only here for the money. Happy to sit on the sidelines getting paid £280,000 + and pretending he is still injured - pathetic. If I was JK I would terminate his contract.

Wow

Rocker (IP Logged)
28 January, 2018 23:02
Quote:
Quinky Kin
I believe footballers have insurance, specifically against career ending injuries.

That's the equivalent of personal accident insurance.

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
29 January, 2018 07:19
Quote:
Rocker
Quote:
Quinky Kin

That's the equivalent of personal accident insurance.

There is some logic to the club having that insurance, in case the player has a long term or career ending injury?

Bellyfull (IP Logged)
29 January, 2018 09:48
Itís only logical to have it if the premium is sensible. Personally I would have thought in most cases it would be as cheap to just pay the player for the duration of the contract.

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
29 January, 2018 10:20
Quote:
Bellyfull
Itís only logical to have it if the premium is sensible. Personally I would have thought in most cases it would be as cheap to just pay the player for the duration of the contract.

Indeed - if the premiums are prohibitive then it makes no sense to have them. I believe the footballer example is often paid by the player, to protect themselves against the loss of their future earnings potential. I was told that many years ago, so situations may be different now.

29 January, 2018 10:56
I imagine with rugby the premiums are comparatively higher, owing to the nature of the sport, and generally the wages are lower, so I'd imagine clubs take the risk themselves normally.

So technically, yes at the moment Saili is a 'drain on resources' but that phrase has very negative connotations towards him when none of it has been his fault.

I really hope those in here who have talked about him not wanting to play are joking. He's actually got an injury where we could get into significant legal bother if we sent him out when he wasn't ready, not to mention the risks to the player himself.

The only thing that has annoyed me about the whole Saili situation has been the continuous drip feed of the 'two weeks' mantra. Not sure if that's come from the club or from the player, but I think that whilst we do all want injury updates when available, seemingly over-optimistic updates don't really help anyone.

Anyway...I wonder if we'll just cut our losses and give him the rest of the season off at this stage. Hopefully have him back and firing for next season.

ArchQuin (IP Logged)
29 January, 2018 12:24
A real shame he can't play - he was the only signing I was excited about (Sm122)

Bolly-Quin (IP Logged)
29 January, 2018 14:43
If I am not mistaken, James Chisholm was out (end of the Gloucester game, early March 2017) until Worcester game this season (early October, 2017) - 7 months. Perhaps this puts Siali's absence in some/more context...

blucherquin (IP Logged)
29 January, 2018 14:57
Quote:
Bolly-Quin
If I am not mistaken, James Chisholm was out (end of the Gloucester game, early March 2017) until Worcester game this season (early October, 2017) - 7 months. Perhaps this puts Siali's absence in some/more context...

No less depressing.

Bolly-Quin (IP Logged)
29 January, 2018 15:21
Agree, but there is hope.

Mayor West (IP Logged)
29 January, 2018 17:46
I know this is a stupid question to ask on this site but is anybody on here a brain surgeon who could give us an idea about what happens with a concussion injury. It might help us understand the complications involved and stop people making daft accusations.

29 January, 2018 18:17
Come on, it's not exactly rocket science.

poorfour (IP Logged)
29 January, 2018 21:17
Quote:
Quinten Poulsen

No, but it is brain surgery.

You set 'em up. I'll knock 'em down.

29 January, 2018 21:24
Sorry Poorfour, you're too late. Mayor West set it up. smiling smiley

Roaming Quin (IP Logged)
29 January, 2018 21:31
Watch concussion with Will Smith.

I hope he does recover think heíll be one hell of a player for us.Although with recent announcements fear he may be gone.

Bolly-Quin (IP Logged)
30 January, 2018 08:18
Quote:
Roaming Quin
I hope he does recover think heíll be one hell of a player for us.Although with recent announcements fear he may be gone.

Ah, I see...

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
30 January, 2018 09:41
Quote:
Roaming Quin

What recent announcements? Did I miss something?

Roaming Quin (IP Logged)
30 January, 2018 18:15
The bath center coming in canít spell his name sorry. Offers the same as Saili. IMO. I hope to be wrong and he makes a full recover and becomes the player we all hope he can be for Quins.

godzilla73 (IP Logged)
30 January, 2018 20:14
Quote:
Roaming Quin
The bath center coming in canít spell his name sorry. Offers the same as Saili. IMO. I hope to be wrong and he makes a full recover and becomes the player we all hope he can be for Quins.

Tapuai is much more likely to be Roberts replacement, who I suspect will be off chasing the dragon...err, I mean, yen.

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
30 January, 2018 23:26
Quote:
Roaming Quin

Ah yes, thanks. On the other hand, maybe we're starting to build some strength in depth at long last? I wonder what the timing of any Tapui deal was, in terms of Sailli being injured?

30 January, 2018 23:48
May have had nothing to do with it, what with Roberts reportedly leaving. Seems like a decent and probably much less expensive signing.

Dave L (IP Logged)
31 January, 2018 09:14
Quote:
Quinten Poulsen
May have had nothing to do with it, what with Roberts reportedly leaving. Seems like a decent and probably much less expensive signing.

One in, one out I'd imagine. Logical to replace Roberts with someone who'll be around a far bit more.

Scaramouche (IP Logged)
31 January, 2018 11:00
Tapuai looked decent enough but maybe a little on the small side?

Rodders you p-lonker!

31 January, 2018 11:29
A lot will depend on the fitness of Sloan and Saili.

If we have those two, plus Tapuai and Marchant, then you can see why we may not want or need Roberts.

But if both Sloan and Saili continue with their current injury issues, then we'd be very light in that area. I assume we'll eventually usher Stanley quietly out the back door, and I suppose we have options in Lang/Cheeseman/Alofa, but you'd still be a bit worried with our lack of depth.

blucherquin (IP Logged)
31 January, 2018 12:30
I guess the club has to work for now in squad terms on the idea that Saili will be back. If he isn't, we will have to move for another centre.

Bolly-Quin (IP Logged)
31 January, 2018 17:13
I like the Smith-Lang 10-12 combo. The Tap for some ďfinishingĒ power and direct running?

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
31 January, 2018 22:22
Quote:
talkshowhost86
A lot will depend on the fitness of Sloan and Saili.
If we have those two, plus Tapuai and Marchant, then you can see why we may not want or need Roberts.

But if both Sloan and Saili continue with their current injury issues, then we'd be very light in that area. I assume we'll eventually usher Stanley quietly out the back door, and I suppose we have options in Lang/Cheeseman/Alofa, but you'd still be a bit worried with our lack of depth.

Who'd be a quins centre? Lowe, jth, smith, saili, Sloan.

PQ2 (IP Logged)
01 February, 2018 09:13
Quote:
RodneyRegis
Who'd be a quins centre? Lowe, jth, smith, saili, Sloan.

- But this is a fine old Quins tradition: Barry, Luscombe, Satala, Abbott.....

quinsfan123 (IP Logged)
01 February, 2018 17:46
Appears Sloan is being released at the end of the season. Which doesn't surprise me given the emergence of Cheeseman and the fact Sloan has always looked rather one dimensional and not even being big enough to do that role.

Fearless Fred (IP Logged)
01 February, 2018 18:26
Quote:
Quinten Poulsen

Ahem! Rocket Science is easy. It's Rocket Engineering that's hard!(Sm100)

Bolly-Quin (IP Logged)
01 February, 2018 21:48
Quote:
quinsfan123
Appears Sloan is being released at the end of the season. Which doesn't surprise me given the emergence of Cheeseman and the fact Sloan has always looked rather one dimensional and not even being big enough to do that role.

First weíve heard about his release. I donít agree with your judgement on him - he has looked the part, but has suffered some bad injuries that have held him back. Think youíre being harsh.

Stooperman (IP Logged)
02 February, 2018 00:24
Quote:
Bolly-Quin
Quote:
quinsfan123

First weíve heard about his release. I donít agree with your judgement on him - he has looked the part, but has suffered some bad injuries that have held him back. Think youíre being harsh.

Well it happens from time to time...but I have to agree with Bolly here. I first saw Sloan in the Quins A team which won the A league a few years ago & I thought then, & think now that he looks good enough. He has good hands, good awareness of space, doesn't shirk a tackle and fixes the opposition. He lacks pace, but so do many 12s. I'd like to keep him as a useful squad member and see how he develops.

oakhaven (IP Logged)
02 February, 2018 08:55
Quote:
PQ2
But this is a fine old Quins tradition: Barry, Luscombe, Satala, Abbott.....

Don't forget Daffydd James' illustrious career at 12 for us.

Rocker (IP Logged)
02 February, 2018 09:06
Other than Ceri (and Olly Kohn ;-) ) have we had a successful Welsh signing??

oakhaven (IP Logged)
02 February, 2018 09:42
We had Gareth Llewellyn for a few seasons. Apart from that I'm struggling to recall any half decent ones. Arwel Thomas, anyone?

Stoopendous (IP Logged)
02 February, 2018 09:50
Adam Jones, Jamie Roberts??

oakhaven (IP Logged)
02 February, 2018 09:54
Quote:
Stoopendous
Adam Jones, Jamie Roberts??

Well that's embarrassing.

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
02 February, 2018 10:13
Tony Copsey smiling smiley

Scaramouche (IP Logged)
02 February, 2018 10:53
Not forgetting Blodwyn Jones my favourite barmaid..

Rodders you p-lonker!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net