rugbyunion
Latest News:

Quinssa WebsiteQuins News from News NowQuins Official Site

Saints Appoint Chris Boyd
Cookie (IP Logged)
29 January, 2018 16:37
Head Coach who led Hurricanes to the Super Rugby title in 2016 as a team playing some of the best rugby going.

Seek and ye shall find........

Re: Saints Appoint Chris Boyd
Boonie (IP Logged)
29 January, 2018 17:11
From Premiership Rugby:

Northampton Saints can today confirm Chris Boyd as the Club’s new Director of Rugby.

The 59-year-old Kiwi has agreed a three-year deal and will begin his new role at Franklin’s Gardens at the start of August 2018.

Boyd has coached the Wellington-based Hurricanes since the 2015 campaign, guiding the New Zealand franchise to their first-ever Super Rugby title the following year. He also has experience with South African franchise Sharks – working as an assistant coach in Durban from 2009 to 2010 – and coached the ‘Baby Blacks’, New Zealand’s under-20s side, between 2011 and 2014.

Boyd was also an assistant coach during Tonga’s 2011 Rugby World Cup campaign when the pacific island nation famously beat France – the eventual losing finalists – for the first time.

“We are absolutely delighted Chris has accepted our offer to join the club,” said Northampton Saints CEO Mark Darbon.

“The club conducted an extensive search and Chris stood out as the exceptional candidate.

“We said at the start of the process that we were looking for a world class director of Rugby, and we’ve secured one of the very best.

“Chris’ CV speaks for itself; his achievements in Super Rugby are notable and his experience with the New Zealand age group sides is impressive. His track record of building a championship-winning side with a mix of experienced and young players was exactly what we were looking for.

“His teams play attacking rugby and Chris is well known as a deep thinker with an immense rugby brain who communicates well with his players. We look forward to him taking charge later this year.”

Boyd’s Super Rugby record now stands at 43-11 in three seasons and, impressively, his side did not concede a single try in the 2016 playoffs. They made the semi-finals again in 2017, but with the call then coming from Northampton, Boyd admits he is relishing taking on a new challenge at Franklin’s Gardens.

“I am humbled and excited to be joining Saints,” he said.

“Northampton Saints is a Club I have admired all of my coaching career.

“I visited Franklin’s Gardens for a week in 2004 when Wayne Smith was head coach, and remember the passion of the Saints supporters and the strong culture at the Club.

“Franklin’s Gardens is an excellent stadium with first-class facilities, and when John White and Mark Darbon outlined the vision for Saints, it was a project I very much wanted to be part of.

“The Club’s ambitions match my own – I am confident I can help the Saints become one of the biggest and best teams in Europe.

“I have always aspired to coach in the Aviva Premiership and I am relishing the opportunity to work with this talented squad of players.”

The Kiwi has been coaching continuously for over 30 years and is one of the most experienced head coaches in world rugby. He began his career with nine years at Tawa Rugby Club before progressing from second XV coach to assistant coach at hometown club Wellington Lions, ultimately getting the top job in 2011 after his stint with the Sharks.

He steered Wellington to the 2013 Mitre 10 Cup final, but it has been his work with the Hurricanes since 2015 that has really thrust him into the limelight. Boyd so nearly completed a fairy-tale first season with the franchise – his side narrowly losing out to the Highlanders in the Super Rugby final after topping the regular-season table.

But despite losing the likes of Conrad Smith, Ma’a Nonu and Jeremy Thrush, the Hurricanes went all the way to the Super Rugby title the following season, with Boyd’s side – captained by Dane Coles and boasting World Cup winners TJ Perenara, Beauden Barrett, Nehe Milner-Skudder and Julian Savea – romping to a 20–3 triumph over the Lions in the final.

“Chris has an impressive record as a coach and getting him over to Northampton is a massive statement for the Club and confirmation of our determination to compete at the highest level,” added Saints Chairman John White.

“I know I am speaking for everyone at Saints when I say that we are very much looking forward to working with him when he arrives ahead of next season.”

CHRIS BOYD’S COACHING CAREER

Hurricanes: Head Coach (2015 to present – Super Rugby runners-up 2015, Champions 2016 & semi-finalists 2017)
New Zealand Rugby Union: Under-20s Head Coach (2013 – 2014)
New Zealand Rugby Union: Under-20s Assistant Coach (2011 – 2012)
Wellington Lions: Head Coach (2011 – 2014)
Tonga Rugby Union: Assistant Coach (2011 Rugby World Cup)
International Rugby Academy of New Zealand: Coaching Services Advisor (2006 – 2016)
Sharks: Assistant Coach (2009 – 2010)
New Zealand Academy of Sport : High Performance Coach advisor (2007 – 2008)
Wellington Lions: Assistant Coach (2003 – 2006)

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to bleat about it all over the internet"

Rocker (IP Logged)
29 January, 2018 17:16
Arguably a more impressive CV than JK.
I mean all he's ever since its sing songs in a silly hat....

DOK (IP Logged)
29 January, 2018 17:23
Apparently he was on the short list as a replacement as Wales coach post Gatland.

"The 59-year-old had been on a three-man WRU shortlist - along with Wayne Pivac and Dave Rennie - to replace Gatland as Wales boss after the 2019 World Cup."

Cookie (IP Logged)
29 January, 2018 17:45
Just goes to show, doesn't it.

Whenever anyone says 'who's available' I couldn't have come up with this fella's name. But now they've got him, I'm mightily impressed.

Nev's Left Boot (IP Logged)
29 January, 2018 18:22
It's still a tricky thing to do - sign a coach with no premiership UK rugby experience.

A number of coaches have tried and failed, alot have been successful mind.

It will be interesting to see? He certainly has a great CV.

Coaches that spring to mind that have been less then successful:
Gaffney
Kafer
Loffreda
Wayne Shelford
Aaron Mauger
Meyer
Pat Howard

Although that was essentially Saracens throwing money around before settling on a system and Leicester who gave up everytime a coach tried to move their back play forward at the expense of a teak tough pack......

Ol'oneeye (IP Logged)
29 January, 2018 19:31
Who did Wayne Shelford coach?

Quinten Poulsen (IP Logged)
29 January, 2018 19:33
Sarries.

Cookie (IP Logged)
29 January, 2018 19:56
Weren't most of those recently retired players who didn't transition to coaching well (sound familiar)?

Boyd has won arguably the strongest club competition in the world just 18 months ago.

blucherquin (IP Logged)
29 January, 2018 20:10
Quote:
Cookie
Whenever anyone says 'who's available' I couldn't have come up with this fella's name. But now they've got him, I'm mightily impressed.

You’re obsessed with this idea that someone somewhere has said there aren’t good coaches available and Quins didn’t look.

They picked Kingston, for whatever reason.

Cookie (IP Logged)
29 January, 2018 20:59
Quote:
blucherquin
Quote:
Cookie

You’re obsessed with this idea that someone somewhere has said there aren’t good coaches available and Quins didn’t look.

When people stop saying it, I'll stop challenging it.

talkshowhost86 (IP Logged)
29 January, 2018 21:48
Quote:
blucherquin
Quote:
Cookie

You�re obsessed with this idea that someone somewhere has said there aren�t good coaches available and Quins didn�t look.

To be fair lots of people have questioned the idea of getting rid of JK just because 'who else would we get?'

Cookie is just saying there are options if we care to look.

akb1 (IP Logged)
29 January, 2018 21:55
Quote:
talkshowhost86
Quote:
blucherquin
Quote:
Cookie

You�re obsessed with this idea that someone somewhere has said there aren�t good coaches available and Quins didn�t look.

To be fair lots of people have questioned the idea of getting rid of JK just because 'who else would we get?'

Cookie is just saying there are options if we care to look.

But it's all irrelevant. The club dont care to look!

QuinAlan (IP Logged)
29 January, 2018 22:18
Pat Howard was pretty successful NLB.

Months KYT (IP Logged)
30 January, 2018 07:33
Is Andy Friend still coaching?

PickledPelican (IP Logged)
30 January, 2018 08:05
But arriving August, not much of a pre season, no choice in squad, but may be poaching some of his current players as I type this!!

Bolly-Quin (IP Logged)
30 January, 2018 08:26
Quote:
Months KYT

KY Telly - he’s coaching Aussie 7’s team...

Months KYT (IP Logged)
30 January, 2018 11:25
Quote:
Bolly-Quin
Quote:
Months KYT

I see they won the 7s on Sunday in Sydney . Must be a consideration. I remember his kids used to come to minis at Teddington I think

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
30 January, 2018 11:48
Quote:
Bolly-Quin
Quote:
Months KYT

Haha

shendy (IP Logged)
30 January, 2018 13:03
Quote:
PickledPelican
not much of a pre season, no choice in squad

I bet he'll be having input into both of those.

There ain't no Sanity Clause

Fursty (IP Logged)
30 January, 2018 13:17
Quote:
shendy
Quote:
PickledPelican
not much of a pre season, no choice in squad

I bet he'll be having input into both of those.

It's a bit late for him to being having much input into next year's squad - most players contracts have already been tied down or are in fairly advanced negotiations.

30 January, 2018 13:31
Super rugby coaches don't always work in the premiership.

Look at Coventry at London Irish, also Blackadder is hardly the most successful yet.

Looking at Gloucester yes they have made improvements but hard to tell until the end of the season.

talkshowhost86 (IP Logged)
30 January, 2018 13:36
Quote:
unQUINtested scrums
Look at Coventry at London Irish, also Blackadder is hardly the most successful yet.

Looking at Gloucester yes they have made improvements but hard to tell until the end of the season.

I don't think anyone is guaranteed to succeed in the Premiership but that's also not really the point.

Sometimes you have to take a risk to improve, particularly if you've been treading water with the same people involved for years and years.

If it was a case of continue to be mediocre or take the chance to be great together with the risk of failure, I'd like to think we'd go for the latter.

Cookie (IP Logged)
30 January, 2018 13:52
Quote:
talkshowhost86
Quote:
unQUINtested scrums

I don't think anyone is guaranteed to succeed in the Premiership but that's also not really the point.

Sometimes you have to take a risk to improve, particularly if you've been treading water with the same people involved for years and years.

If it was a case of continue to be mediocre or take the chance to be great together with the risk of failure, I'd like to think we'd go for the latter.

Not sure comparing the relative strengths of Coventry/Irish with Bath/Gloucester is particularly fair, but either way Bath & Gloucester are having better seasons than last year, particularly Gloucester.

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
30 January, 2018 17:28
I heard that a super rugby coach once helped out at my local pub team, and they're not in the premiership.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net