rugbyunion
Latest News:

Quinssa WebsiteQuins News from News NowQuins Official Site

Haskell to leave Wasps
ironquin (IP Logged)
31 January, 2018 10:06
James Haskell: England forward to leave Wasps at end of season

England forward James Haskell will leave Wasps when his contract expires at the end of the season.

The 32-year-old back row, who has made 75 international appearances and played 190 games during two spells with Wasps, is yet to decide on his next move.

He said: "I have had a fantastic career at Wasps and would like to think I have played a part in the club's success."

Haskell has been added to England's squad for the Six Nations opener with Italy on Sunday despite being banned.

He was not part of England's 34-man training camp in Portugal but has joined the squad even though he was suspended earlier this month for a dangerous tackle.

Haskell, who made his debut in 2002 at the age of 18, spent two seasons with French side Stade Francais from 2009 and also played in Japan and New Zealand before returning to Wasps in 2012.

Wasps director of rugby Dai Young told the club website: "Hask goes back a long way with Wasps.

"I have no doubt whatsoever, given his character and loyalty to this club, that he will remain fully committed until the end of the current campaign.

"On behalf of everyone at Wasps I'd like to thank James for his efforts and wish him well for the future."

Re: Haskell to leave Wasps
ironquin (IP Logged)
31 January, 2018 10:11
matt777 has posted in the comments on the BBC article

'He's going to Quins'.

Could be a WUM or he knows something

thomh (IP Logged)
31 January, 2018 10:28
I'd be surprised if we were looking to spend much in that area but you never know.

GP2110 (IP Logged)
31 January, 2018 10:29
I would definitely be happy if we signed him.

DamonQuins (IP Logged)
31 January, 2018 10:45
Can't hurt can it.....

Might be cheap as he'll want one more season in Eng before RWC 2019.

We get a lot of injuries (Clifford, Chis, Wallace, Bothma) in that area and a year of Hask before promoting from academy (White has not done enough yet) might be a v good idea.

On a terrible PR basis he would be good at promoting the club too.

I say see what his price is and if not too extortionate then why not.

T-Bone (IP Logged)
31 January, 2018 10:46
Other rumours have him going to Bristol, which I'd have thought more likely.

I'm not sure if these are all staying and under contract, but with Robshaw, Clifford, Chisholm, Wallace, Bothma, Luamanu, White and Lamb I'm not sure it's an area we need another player on a very high salary who might have international commitments.

Rumours of Clifford going and not sure about Wallce and Luamanu's contract status.

Almost quin (IP Logged)
31 January, 2018 11:02
Pretty sure Wallace and Luamanu are with us next year

Scaramouche (IP Logged)
31 January, 2018 11:06
I did bump into the Brand at the A3 services just north of Guildford on a midweek evening a little while ago.....

Rodders you p-lonker!

talkshowhost86 (IP Logged)
31 January, 2018 11:24
With Robshaw, Clifford, Luamanu, Wallace, Chisholm and Bothma, plus the likes of White and Lamb having had minutes this season, it would seem odd if we were in for Haskell.

I would think Bristol is far more likely with the money they are likely to throw around once promotion is secured.

ironquin (IP Logged)
31 January, 2018 11:31
He does a lot of PR and Media so London might be the city he would like to be in.

blucherquin (IP Logged)
31 January, 2018 12:35
If we're serious about building and sustaining a new Quins side, Haskell, for all his good qualities isn't the right player as far as I'm concerned.

As above really, he's got 2 years left in him max, and we've got Robshaw doing the experienced/teaching role and we've got Clifford and Chisholm in the "could be great" category, Luamanu, Wallace and Bothma as excellent Premiership-level players and White and Lamb on the way up and already playing 1st team.

Can't see what he adds.

RugbyMarvel (IP Logged)
31 January, 2018 12:46
Shame that Haskell is struggling to find a new side. Think he has a lot to offer but understand that might not be the case with the gameplan Wasps want to follow. I do think though that some of the work he does for the side will be hard to replicate, Haskell is a selfless workhorse, but maybe not quite as effective as Dai Young wants him to be around the park. I put some thoughts here:

[rugbymarvel.wordpress.com]

HonkyTonk (IP Logged)
31 January, 2018 13:35
Stole this from Bristol board

Saw this on the Wasps Message Board ( haven't got access to the times so can't check)-

Article in the times stating that Hask has not been offered a new contract by Wasps, even though he's willing to take less cash (how much less it doesn't say). Also states that he's struggling to find another English club to play for, which puts his England career in jeopardy. Only London Irish seem interested, but as they as likely to be relegated, he doesn't fancy it.

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
31 January, 2018 15:16
Quote:
DamonQuins
Can't hurt can it.....

We get a lot of injuries (Clifford, Chis, Wallace, Bothma) in that area and a year of Hask before promoting from academy (White has not done enough yet) might be a v good idea.

I've been quite impressed with White so far. He hasn't looked out of place and will only get better, with the guys that are around him on the pitch.

Dave L (IP Logged)
31 January, 2018 15:58
It's a no from me. I don't think he has been the same player since the last couple of injuries. Additionally, I think we're starting to get the balance right between youth and experience in the squad and I'm not sure what Haskell would add beyond what the likes of Robshaw, Horwill and the recently retired Minty could.

T-Bone (IP Logged)
31 January, 2018 16:48
Quote:
Quinky Kin
Quote:
DamonQuins
Can't hurt can it.....

I've been quite impressed with White so far. He hasn't looked out of place and will only get better, with the guys that are around him on the pitch.

Yep, agree with that. I must admit that for the first couple of games he played, I think Dino Lamb played too, and I was never sure which was which as they were both two unknowns to me, but I think he looks like a decent prospect. As does Lamb!

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
31 January, 2018 17:15
If Clifford goes I will eat my hat. Bookmark it.

Bolly-Quin (IP Logged)
31 January, 2018 17:28
Quote:
Scaramouche
I did bump into the Brand at the A3 services just north of Guildford on a midweek evening a little while ago.....

Are you after a new butler?

Quote:
RR
If Clifford goes Iíll eat my hat.....

I hope youíre not wearing a tasty sombrero...

thomh (IP Logged)
31 January, 2018 20:22
Quote:
Scaramouche

Isnít he historically a client of Margot Wells? Could just be that.

Bolly-Quin (IP Logged)
31 January, 2018 20:32
Quote:
thomh
Quote:
Scaramouche

Isnít he historically a client of Margot Wells? Could just be that.

Dame Margot Fonteyn-Wells, the well known ballet dancing sprinter - now thereís a brand...

arniepie (IP Logged)
01 February, 2018 14:18
No chance of RR doing a paddy ashdown, cliff going nowhere, however gray lambert Sloan and apsland Robinson are being released

blucherquin (IP Logged)
01 February, 2018 14:21
Quote:
arniepie
No chance of RR doing a paddy ashdown, cliff going nowhere, however gray lambert Sloan and apsland Robinson are being released

From the one who always knows,,,,

Bedfordshire Boy (IP Logged)
01 February, 2018 14:45
Quote:
arniepie

Very surprised at Sloan (injury related?), Lambert hanging up his boots (?), not surprised about Gray, don`t know enough about Apsland Robinson.

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
01 February, 2018 14:45
Sloan? That's a real surprise. And SAR.

Gray threw really well on Saturday. Not allowed at Quins.

arniepie (IP Logged)
01 February, 2018 15:06
Yes gray is a surprise, best line out thrower at Quins, shoe shine man reckons max crumpton filling the slot

talkshowhost86 (IP Logged)
01 February, 2018 15:25
If we're releasing Sloan that has to be injury related. Otherwise it makes no sense at all.

With Roberts likely to leave, and Saili still having not played more than about 10 minutes for us, that would leave us incredibly weak in that area even if we did bring in Tapuai. Would need another centre on top of him certainly.

Similarly with Grey you wonder if that means we need someone else in who can throw. I suppose it elevates Elia up the list which a lot of us have asked for, but I suppose regardless of Grey leaving or not, it's still an area we need to improve on.

Lambert I'm not surprised by, and I haven't seen enough of SAR to know what has caused that.

T-Bone (IP Logged)
01 February, 2018 15:38
Not surprised by Lambert retiring, and Boyce looks ready to step up and become the clear back up now.

SAR would be a shame. I suppose we have quite a few back 3 players in the academy, but odd to release an England u20s player. Depends on the reasoning I suppose. Might be the long term injury.

Sloan is an odd one unless it's injury related. Think he's a really good player.

As for Gray, he went somewhat off the boil. Used to be easily our best thrower. Not really much point in having 4 hookers all of a similar standard. His lineout throwing was always his point of difference to the others. He's played very well for us at times, but wouldn't be gutted to see him go.

HonkyTonk (IP Logged)
01 February, 2018 16:11
Crumpton played on loan for us before???

TitusQuin (IP Logged)
01 February, 2018 16:19
Quote:
blucherquin
If we're serious about building and sustaining a new Quins side, Haskell, for all his good qualities isn't the right player as far as I'm concerned.
As above really, he's got 2 years left in him max, and we've got Robshaw doing the experienced/teaching role and we've got Clifford and Chisholm in the "could be great" category, Luamanu, Wallace and Bothma as excellent Premiership-level players and White and Lamb on the way up and already playing 1st team.

Can't see what he adds.

I always have thought Haskell overrated and do even more so now. He has never been the smartest rugby player, just a gym monkey. His highlight being the Aus tour 2 years ago where he was excellent but employed as a one trick pony( v well) to smash any australian in sight. Before and since he flatters to deceive and think he is on borrowed time as his body is letting him down. Better back rowers at Wasps include: Hughes,Thompson,Young,Johnson and the new safer No 8 I liked when we played them last month.

quinsfan123 (IP Logged)
01 February, 2018 19:40
I can certainly see the reasoning behind releasing Sloan. First, he is a very one dimensional player, simply used as a battering ram but he isn't big enough to perform this role effectively. And second, the emergence of Cheeseman and Hennessy in the academy plus Tapuai, Saili and Lang, and his injury prone tendencies have made JK think - do we really need him?

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
01 February, 2018 20:26
Sloan was playing at a very high level before his long lay-off. I'd have rather had him starting than Roberts. He was certainly not being used exclusively as a battering ram, and he had also turned himself into a very strong defender.

T-Bone (IP Logged)
01 February, 2018 22:43
Sloan was a very good player before injury. Should have started ahead of Roberts when he was fit

HonkyTonk (IP Logged)
02 February, 2018 09:05
Quote:
arniepie

Any news on Stanley or Mulchrone???

Scaramouche (IP Logged)
02 February, 2018 10:42
Buchanan?

Rodders you p-lonker!

Scaramouche (IP Logged)
02 February, 2018 10:45
Quote:
talkshowhost86
If we're releasing Sloan that has to be injury related. Otherwise it makes no sense at all.
With Roberts likely to leave, and Saili still having not played more than about 10 minutes for us, that would leave us incredibly weak in that area even if we did bring in Tapuai. Would need another centre on top of him certainly.

Similarly with Grey you wonder if that means we need someone else in who can throw. I suppose it elevates Elia up the list which a lot of us have asked for, but I suppose regardless of Grey leaving or not, it's still an area we need to improve on.

Lambert I'm not surprised by, and I haven't seen enough of SAR to know what has caused that.

I know I said he was a bit small but really.....?

Rodders you p-lonker!

Dark Pies (IP Logged)
02 February, 2018 11:07
Quote:
quinsfan123
I can certainly see the reasoning behind releasing Sloan. First, he is a very one dimensional player, simply used as a battering ram but he isn't big enough to perform this role effectively. And second, the emergence of Cheeseman and Hennessy in the academy plus Tapuai, Saili and Lang, and his injury prone tendencies have made JK think - do we really need him?

That's a strong opinion. And an erroneous one. Sloan was looking really good before getting injured.

The guy is mid 20's (i.e. should be hitting his prime) was out for 18mths, came back for 60-ish mins and then hobbled off in tears looking like he knew it was really bad news. We've then had no updates or mention of him since.
So likely nothing to do with his ability, simply seems like a career-ending injury that he and the club have been reviewing as his contract inevitably comes up for renewal. Shame - very similar to GLowe but we may never know how great he could have been.

Hellequin (IP Logged)
04 February, 2018 12:42
Looks like Haskell has a something lined up already to keep him busy next season. [www.bbc.co.uk]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/2018 12:42 by Hellequin.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net