rugbyunion
Latest News:

Quinssa WebsiteQuins News from News NowQuins Official Site

Indian Restaurant recommendation
wombles222 (IP Logged)
31 January, 2018 18:07
Good afternoon to you all!

Myself and my Pest loving friends will be infesting the Stoop again on the 11th for our next coming together. However I had a thought this afternoon, that even though I have spent a significant amount of evenings post England, Wasps, BaaBaas and Sevens tournaments in Twickers, I have no idea on the ratings of the Indian restaurants in the area. With that in mind is there any specific Indian that really stands out for us to book (Ideally with an outstanding Vindaloo and prawn puree!)

Thankyou in advance for your advice.

Chris

Re: Indian Restaurant recommendation
SiBolton (IP Logged)
31 January, 2018 18:18
Naz balti, church street, tried most and found this the best

blucherquin (IP Logged)
31 January, 2018 19:02
Green Spice on the Green

Quinten Poulsen (IP Logged)
31 January, 2018 19:20
If you're anti Trump and support illegal immigration/workers then Sheesh Mahal if it's still open.

blucherquin (IP Logged)
31 January, 2018 19:28
Quote:
Quinten Poulsen
If you're anti Trump and support illegal immigration/workers then Sheesh Mahal if it's still open.

Iím not sure hanging a ďbest restaurantĒ banner permanently outside actually makes you the best restaurant

Bolly-Quin (IP Logged)
31 January, 2018 20:20
Where are the Naz, Green Spice and Sheesh Mahal, curried chaps?

Bolly-Quin (IP Logged)
31 January, 2018 20:26
Have tried Little Mumbai and Athithi- a bit pricey but better than Moidals (now closed). Are those better than these? Not a touch on the punjabi restaurants in Southall, but much closer.

Quinten Poulsen (IP Logged)
31 January, 2018 23:24
Naz is in Church Street, I think the Green Spice is up near the green, and the Sheesh is London Road.

Stoopendous (IP Logged)
31 January, 2018 23:47
Delhi Durbar also in Church Street is good and I have always enjoyed the Regal Haandi near the Green.

Cookie (IP Logged)
01 February, 2018 00:26
Regal Haandi by a country mile. Itís up by Twickenham Green.

Months KYT (IP Logged)
01 February, 2018 06:31
Quote:
Quinten Poulsen
How do you know they employ illegal immigrants. Thatís a bit stereotypical isnít it ?

blucherquin (IP Logged)
01 February, 2018 07:07
Quote:
Months KYT
Quote:
Quinten Poulsen
How do you know they employ illegal immigrants. Thatís a bit stereotypical isnít it ?

While the sentiment and phrasing is a little odd, they were in the local rag because rather than sitting behind a closed desk deliberately doing nothing despite huge queues in terminal 5, immigration were allowed out to nick two people working there who didnít have work permits. I guess it give them a break from body cavity searches.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/02/2018 10:44 by blucherquin.

raedarius (IP Logged)
01 February, 2018 07:48
Quote:
blucherquin
Quote:
Months KYT
Quote:
Quinten Poulsen

While the sentiment and phrasing is a little odd, they were in the local rag because rather than sitting behind a closed desk deliberately doing nothing depicted huge queues in terminal 5, immigration were allowed out to nick two people working there who didnít have work permits. I guess it give them a break from body cavity searches.

Two different organisations. Border Force and Immigration Enforcement.

Fursty (IP Logged)
01 February, 2018 08:35
The Naz in Church Street would get my vote - Cookie I've got to say the Regal Haandi is just about the worst curry I've ever had.

Cookie (IP Logged)
01 February, 2018 09:21
Fair enough, Fursty. I've got a long a boring story about why I'll never go to The Naz again and why they missed out on long-term business from 2 local rugby clubs.

I guess we all have good and bad experiences.

Mayor West (IP Logged)
01 February, 2018 09:47
Modals closed down because it was named and shamed in the RTT for its dismal hygiene rating. Twice. This should be shown somewhere obvious , front boor or window. It's green and has 1 to 5 in black circles , 5 being highest . Normally a good indication of quality of chef. Just in case anybody didn't know.

Fursty (IP Logged)
01 February, 2018 10:03
Cookie you're probably right - I imagine every curry house has its moment where they don't get things right.

As for the Naz I can't comment on anything other that the food.

The Dead Baron (IP Logged)
01 February, 2018 10:05
The Naz is good.

blucherquin (IP Logged)
01 February, 2018 10:45
Quote:
raedarius
Quote:
blucherquin
Quote:
Months KYT
Quote:
Quinten Poulsen

While the sentiment and phrasing is a little odd, they were in the local rag because rather than sitting behind a closed desk deliberately doing nothing depicted huge queues in terminal 5, immigration were allowed out to nick two people working there who didnít have work permits. I guess it give them a break from body cavity searches.

Two different organisations. Border Force and Immigration Enforcement.

God so they donít even have the even have the cavity searches to get over not making it as cops.

DazzaS (IP Logged)
01 February, 2018 10:52
Twickenham Tandoori!

(Sm100)

West Stand Quin (IP Logged)
01 February, 2018 11:19
Naz Balti just got lowest health rating by the council 1/5

Adam Jones' Hair (IP Logged)
01 February, 2018 11:53
would thoroughly recommend Atithi in York St - many locals say the best in Twickenham

RocQuin (IP Logged)
01 February, 2018 12:23
My best experience was at:

Little Mumbai
92 Heath Road
Twickenham

Excellent food and service every time.

Would advise booking for a busy match day.

Brown Bottle (IP Logged)
01 February, 2018 13:37
We tried Aangan on Big Game day - wasn't particularly impressed.

Chose it over Kochi due to proximity but if you like Southern Indian food Kochi seems to be well recommended. It's towards the green.

Anyone been there?

BB

wombles222 (IP Logged)
01 February, 2018 13:54
Thankyou for the replies so far! really helpful!

I have to admit my ideal Indian is one where the chef really knows how to make their curry spicy and flavoursome! I am thinking Vindaloo level, however if there is one with a Madras or Jalfrezi that can create a large amount of heat that is what I am looking for! Also ones that make the Onion Bahji light, Some places seem to like doing flat, over oiled Bhaji's which I am not a fan of!

RocQuin (IP Logged)
01 February, 2018 15:28
Quote:
wombles222
Thankyou for the replies so far! really helpful!
I have to admit my ideal Indian is one where the chef really knows how to make their curry spicy and flavoursome! I am thinking Vindaloo level, however if there is one with a Madras or Jalfrezi that can create a large amount of heat that is what I am looking for! Also ones that make the Onion Bahji light, Some places seem to like doing flat, over oiled Bhaji's which I am not a fan of!
In which case, definitely Little Mumbai. Very knowledgeable and will give good advice on heat/taste etc when ordering.

Bolly-Quin (IP Logged)
01 February, 2018 21:44
Yup - Mumbai will also spice it up if you want. My vote goes to Atithi though...both good, if a bit on the pricy side, but I havenít tried the others mentioned...

poorfour (IP Logged)
01 February, 2018 22:50
Personally, I am quite fond of the Ghurka Inn - can't remember the street name, but it's the one that leads to Richmond.

West Stand Quin (IP Logged)
01 February, 2018 23:15
[ratings.food.gov.uk]

Based on this def avoid Naz Balti

TW Quin (IP Logged)
01 February, 2018 23:35
Ok forget Indian go Italian - Cafe de la mere brilliant pasta and pizza great service very traditional fresh food and wine

Scaramouche (IP Logged)
02 February, 2018 10:02
How do you Reserve an Indian? Isn't it the other way round?

Rodders you p-lonker!

RocQuin (IP Logged)
02 February, 2018 13:26
Quote:
poorfour
Personally, I am quite fond of the Ghurka Inn - can't remember the street name, but it's the one that leads to Richmond.
Oh that one, I know exactly where you mean now.

Ghurka Inn would normally indicate Nepalese cuisine, but, that can be excellent too.

poorfour (IP Logged)
02 February, 2018 13:37
Quote:
RocQuin
Quote:
poorfour

Ghurka Inn would normally indicate Nepalese cuisine, but, that can be excellent too.

It's definitely Nepalese - but the difference isn't that great between North Indian and Nepalese cuisine, and the restaurant is careful to have the usual Indian standbys on the menu.

kevin (IP Logged)
02 February, 2018 20:06
Indian Zest in Sunbury.

Bolly-Quin (IP Logged)
02 February, 2018 20:50
Quote:
poorfour
Quote:
RocQuin
Quote:
poorfour

It's definitely Nepalese - but the difference isn't that great between North Indian and Nepalese cuisine, and the restaurant is careful to have the usual Indian standbys on the menu.

Poorfour, your posts are always spot on but, there is some difference between Nepali (Gurkha) and N. Indian (Punjabi) tuck...

blucherquin (IP Logged)
02 February, 2018 20:52
Quote:
kevin
Indian Zest in Sunbury.

Yeah I know a good one in Edinburgh thatís an equally convenient walk from the Stoop

kevin (IP Logged)
02 February, 2018 20:58
Quote:
blucherquin
Quote:
kevin
Indian Zest in Sunbury.

Yeah I know a good one in Edinburgh thatís an equally convenient walk from the Stoop
Spiteful and childish. Made you feel clever?

blucherquin (IP Logged)
02 February, 2018 21:26
Quote:
kevin
Quote:
blucherquin
Quote:
kevin
Indian Zest in Sunbury.

The guy wanted a place for a curry to go after he game and you suddenly recommended somewhere in bloody Sunbury.

If thatís your genuine reaction to someone then making a joke about it, god know what happens if someone actually insults you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2018 21:31 by blucherquin.

kevin (IP Logged)
02 February, 2018 21:42
Quote:
blucherquin
Quote:
kevin
Quote:
blucherquin
Quote:
kevin
Indian Zest in Sunbury.

The guy wanted a place for a curry to go after he game and you suddenly recommended somewhere in bloody Sunbury.

If thatís your genuine reaction to someone then making a joke about it, god know what happens if someone actually insults you.
Donít recall time or place in op post. Before or after game. Your response to my offering in good faith an alternative to poor Twickenham was given in good faith. And you are a silly mind that for some reason is looking for an equally stupid response. Iím sure you will be appreciated for that! Now cuddle your teddy and sleep well.

blucherquin (IP Logged)
02 February, 2018 22:05
Quote:
kevin
Quote:
blucherquin
Quote:
kevin
Quote:
blucherquin
Quote:
kevin
Indian Zest in Sunbury.

Donít recall time or place in op post. Before or after game. Your response to my offering in good faith an alternative to poor Twickenham was given in good faith. And you are a silly mind that for some reason is looking for an equally stupid response. Iím sure you will be appreciated for that! Now cuddle your teddy and sleep well.

Sure. Iím ďa silly mind that for some reasonĒ.

Makes as much sense as your post on the other thread.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2018 22:08 by blucherquin.

kevin (IP Logged)
02 February, 2018 22:16
Ok . Slow on up take. I recommended a restaurant for someone. Easy to get to and from ground. Understand? What is your problem?

blucherquin (IP Logged)
02 February, 2018 22:48
Quote:
kevin
Ok . Slow on up take. I recommended a restaurant for someone. Easy to get to and from ground. Understand? What is your problem?

Youíve lost the ability to communicate.

Call a doctor.

Months KYT (IP Logged)
03 February, 2018 06:22
Quote:
blucherquin
Quote:
kevin

Call a doctor.
Ignore the troll Kevin . BQ just tries to antagonise everyone.

blucherquin (IP Logged)
03 February, 2018 06:43
Quote:
Months KYT
Quote:
blucherquin
Quote:
kevin

Call a doctor.
Ignore the troll Kevin . BQ just tries to antagonise everyone.

Irony is dead

Bolly-Quin (IP Logged)
03 February, 2018 21:56
Wholey trollely: OP clearly asks for local Indian! KY Jelly and Kevin - have a kit-kat!

kevin (IP Logged)
04 February, 2018 22:19
Quote:
Bolly-Quin
Wholey trollely: OP clearly asks for local Indian! KY Jelly and Kevin - have a kit-kat!

Does ďlocalĒ appear? Does before or after game? Is a mere few minutes drive not Ďlocalí?
And your post is truly strange.
Truly bemused by such strange responses to someone trying to enhance a visitorís day to a game.

Bolly-Quin (IP Logged)
04 February, 2018 22:29
In the area = local?

kevin (IP Logged)
04 February, 2018 22:32
Quote:
Bolly-Quin
In the area = local?

Do you have an obsession with KY jelly?
Sunbury is very easy to get to Stoop. Do you have geographical mental issues too? Sunbury on route to and from Stoop. What is your difficulty with that? I did point that out earlier. Or do you have literacy problems too?
BTW Indian Zest is a great restaurant folks!

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/2018 22:40 by kevin.

Bolly-Quin (IP Logged)
05 February, 2018 05:53
I love it when you get angry, Kevin.

blucherquin (IP Logged)
05 February, 2018 08:03
Ok Kevin. Letís end this bitter feud.

The OP said he often spends the evening in Twickers post match, but wasnít sure what the best curry house was ďin the areaĒ and could we recommend some.

So youíre right, he may not not have meant that this time he wants to go for a curry post match in Twickenham.

And yes, Iím sure the Sunbury one is lovely.

Only a 10 minute drive, 25 mins on a train or a one hour walk from the Stoop.

kevin (IP Logged)
06 February, 2018 20:49
Quote:
Bolly-Quin
I love it when you get angry, Kevin.
You are just strange.

SiBolton (IP Logged)
06 February, 2018 20:56
I imagine sometimes people may just think ďWhy didnít I ask trip advisorĒ

kevin (IP Logged)
06 February, 2018 21:00
Quote:
SiBolton
Dead right! But it is nice to be nice to help folks out .

Uncle Arthur (IP Logged)
06 February, 2018 21:52
Quote:
SiBolton

I bet the guy who started this thread wishes he had!

blucherquin (IP Logged)
06 February, 2018 22:30
Quote:
Uncle Arthur
Quote:
SiBolton

Heíll probably need a pint after reading all that - anyone know anywhere in Sunbury?

Scaramouche (IP Logged)
07 February, 2018 07:56
I don't like Sunbury. Place just makes me Cross.

Rodders you p-lonker!

wombles222 (IP Logged)
07 February, 2018 09:02
Quote:
Uncle Arthur
Quote:
SiBolton

Haha! I am not the greatest fan of tripadvisor, the problem being that it never covers every possibility, and the reviews can put you off good places and send you to bad ones. My wife and i noted this whilst in America, where we went outfor dinner with some of her Scottish relatives who were coincidentally over at the same time as us. They were obsessed with tripadvisor, and must of considered and rejected a dozen places simply by looking on the trip advisor site. We jut went up to a local, and asked her, and we got pointed to a place off the main area that did the best food i have tasted!

Thus with that in mind this is why i throw myself on your mercy, tripadvisor cannot replace local knowledge in my eyes, and thus i am grateful for your replies to date. (Sm128)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net