rugbyunion
Latest News:

Quinssa WebsiteQuins News from News NowQuins Official Site


Horwill returns - Team is up
akb1 (IP Logged)
01 February, 2018 11:59
[www.quins.co.uk]


John Kingston names his matchday squad to travel to Franklin's Gardens on Friday for the final Pool match of this year's Anglo-Welsh Cup (kick-off 19:45)

Looking to continue their perfect form in this year's tournament, Harlequins travel to Northampton to face the 2013/14 Aviva Premiership Champions, just over a month since their victory against them at Twickenham Stadium at the end of December.

In the pack, James Horwill returns to the side at second row, his first run-out since suffering an injury against Saracens at the beginning of December, whilst James Chisholm makes his 50th appearance for the Club at number eight. Josh McNulty also comes in at tighthead for Phil Swainston.

Out in the backs, following his selection for England U20s, Ibitoye gives way to utility back, Alofa Alofa who starts on the left wing. Aside from this, the backline remains unchanged following the victory against Scarlets.

Ahead of the match, Director of Rugby, John Kingston rsaid: "I'm proud of the whole group at the moment. The whole squad have been playing well. We've got a group of players who are training really hard, and we're clearly delighted to have done as well have we have in the Anglo-Welsh competition.

"Last week there were a few players that hadn't been around for a while, and they reacted brilliantly, so its on to the next one on Friday night".

Harlequins Team to play Northampton Saints (Harlequins Appearances)

15. Aaron Morris (13)
14. Ross Chisholm (87)
13. Joe Marchant (47)
12. Henry Cheeseman (12)
11. Alofa Alofa (46)
10. James Lang (16)
9. Dave Lewis (8)

1. Mark Lambert (224)
2. Joe Gray (143)
3. Josh McNulty (4)
4. Stan South (10)
5. James Horwill (50)
6. Archie White (14)
7. Luke Wallace (153)
8. James Chisholm (Captain, 49)

16. Charlie Piper (6)
17. Cameron Holenstein (2)
18. Josh Ibuanokpe (2)
19. Sam Twomey (55)
20. Mat Luamanu (59)
21. Jono Kitto (5)
22. Ian Prior (4)
23. Cadan Murley (1)



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/02/2018 11:59 by akb1.

 
Re: Horwill returns - Team is up
T-Bone (IP Logged)
01 February, 2018 12:01
Good to see him back, but also pleased to see Chisholm retains the captaincy. Looking forward to this

 
Re: Horwill returns - Team is up
SpanishQuin (IP Logged)
01 February, 2018 12:02
Match
Northampton Saints v Harlequins, Anglo-Welsh Cup Round 4, Friday 2nd February (kick-off, 19:45)
Live on BT Sport

 
Re: Horwill returns - Team is up
Almost quin (IP Logged)
01 February, 2018 12:05
We have traditionally had a different captain for this comp

 
Re: Horwill returns - Team is up
never sleep (IP Logged)
01 February, 2018 12:47
Saints team

SAINTS V HARLEQUINS TEAM NEWS
Anglo-Welsh Cup, Round 4
Franklin's Gardens
Friday 2nd February, 2018
Kick-off: 7.45pm

SAINTS
15 Ahsee Tuala
14 Ken Pisi
13 Nafi Tuitavake
12 Tom Stephenson
11 George North
10 Piers Francis
9 Cobus Reinach

1 Francois Van Wyk
2 Mikey Haywood
3 Kieran Brookes
4 Api Ratuniyarawa
5 Christian Day (capt)
6 David Ribbans
7 Jamie Gibson
8 Teimana Harrison

Replacements
16 Reece Marshall
17 Campese Ma’afu
18 Jamal Ford-Robinson
19 Mitch Eadie
20 Heinrich Brüssow
21 Nic Groom
22 Stephen Myler
23 Ben Foden



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/02/2018 12:48 by never sleep.

 
Re: Horwill returns - Team is up
fandg2 (IP Logged)
01 February, 2018 12:54
It's worth clicking on the quins link, at the bottom JK gives a comprehensive injury update

 
Re: Horwill returns - Team is up
talkshowhost86 (IP Logged)
01 February, 2018 13:00
Strong team from Saints...well on paper anyway.

But our team looks fairly well balanced so we shall see how it goes. Great to see Horwill back, and I hope we can give Twomey some more minutes as well.

 
Re: Horwill returns - Team is up
T-Bone (IP Logged)
01 February, 2018 13:54
Saints are taking this one pretty seriously clearly

 
Re: Horwill returns - Team is up
Scaramouche (IP Logged)
01 February, 2018 14:07
Another losing bonus point would be quite sweeeeet!



If at first you don't succeed, Try, Try and Try again.

 
Re: Horwill returns - Team is up
blucherquin (IP Logged)
01 February, 2018 14:19
Quote:
fandg2
It's worth clicking on the quins link, at the bottom JK gives a comprehensive injury update

Collier available next week
Swiel two weeks away
Waters back mid Feb
Clifford - 4/5 weeks
The Cat, taking more impacts in training, but its a confidence thing with the extent of the damage and how he got the injury
Saili, off to see specialist again — Chis was out 7 months, so we have to wait to see
Elia — two months out
Merrick - two months out
Walker — back shortly, 2/3 weeks

 
Re: Horwill returns - Team is up
talkshowhost86 (IP Logged)
01 February, 2018 14:48
Quote:
T-Bone
Saints are taking this one pretty seriously clearly

Yeah I'm not sure if they're desperate to win it or if they just don't have anyone else.

Still...makes for an interesting contest. Always tough to get a win at Franklins Gardens so we'll do well to get a win, but if we play like we did against Scarlets we'll be okay.

 
Re: Horwill returns - Team is up
RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
01 February, 2018 16:21
Quote:
Scaramouche
Another losing bonus point would be quite sweeeeet!

Would much prefer to knock saints out. Fielding a side like that is not really on.

 
Re: Horwill returns - Team is up
T-Bone (IP Logged)
01 February, 2018 17:25
Quote:
blucherquin
Quote:
fandg2
It's worth clicking on the quins link, at the bottom JK gives a comprehensive injury update

Collier available next week
Swiel two weeks away
Waters back mid Feb
Clifford - 4/5 weeks
The Cat, taking more impacts in training, but its a confidence thing with the extent of the damage and how he got the injury
Saili, off to see specialist again — Chis was out 7 months, so we have to wait to see
Elia — two months out
Merrick - two months out
Walker — back shortly, 2/3 weeks

thanks for that. Good to hear Collier, Walker and Swiel are back soon.

Cat is an odd one. Missed Merrick getting injured. One back, one out.

Shame about Elia


As for Saints fielding a strong team, could be that they want to maintain momentum under Gaffney after their bad patch. But yes, could also be just because they want to qualify, or picking whoever is available, rather like us at times

 
Re: Horwill returns - Team is up
Saint.Kenneth (IP Logged)
01 February, 2018 17:43
We've been terrible for ages... just as we start to get some momentum, this tournament comes along. So with a new coach, trying new things in training, trying to get the team to gel, is he supposed to just wait a couple of weeks for the Premiership to re-start?

The idea is clearly to get the senior players playing well, to then try and push on in the Premiership to try and gain a top 6 place. Saying that, there are at least 6 players who have played far more 'A' league this season than the main competitions.

To do well in the Anglo-Welsh, just may boost morale in the whole squad which will naturally help in the Aviva. I'm sure after the season we've had, if we can win the 'A' league again, win the Anglo-Welsh and try and secure a Champions Cup place, then there is a base for the new DoR to work from.

 
Re: Horwill returns - Team is up
quinsfan123 (IP Logged)
01 February, 2018 17:44
That bloody dead rubber La Rochelle game proved costly - Elia and Merrick for two months apiece was very unfortunate.

 
Re: Horwill returns - Team is up
Fearless Fred (IP Logged)
01 February, 2018 18:24
Quote:
T-Bone
Quote:
blucherquin
Quote:
fandg2
It's worth clicking on the quins link, at the bottom JK gives a comprehensive injury update

Collier available next week
Swiel two weeks away
Waters back mid Feb
Clifford - 4/5 weeks
The Cat, taking more impacts in training, but its a confidence thing with the extent of the damage and how he got the injury
Saili, off to see specialist again — Chis was out 7 months, so we have to wait to see
Elia — two months out
Merrick - two months out
Walker — back shortly, 2/3 weeks

thanks for that. Good to hear Collier, Walker and Swiel are back soon.

Cat is an odd one. Missed Merrick getting injured. One back, one out.

Shame about Elia


As for Saints fielding a strong team, could be that they want to maintain momentum under Gaffney after their bad patch. But yes, could also be just because they want to qualify, or picking whoever is available, rather like us at times

To be fair, I can see why he may need to get back some confidence. When he was injured, he had an extended peiod on the floor where he couldn't breathe anywhere near properly. That's enough to put the screaming heeby-jeebies up anyone, I'd say. Yes, it was a freak injury, but as PTerry Pratchett one said: "Million to one shots can happen nine times out of ten" so in the back of the Cat's mind will be the thought that it *could* happen again...

 
Re: Horwill returns - Team is up
SiBolton (IP Logged)
01 February, 2018 19:14
Can understand why Saints want to build some momentum, and I’m sure someone better at it than me can compare the numbers first team starts per team
But isn’t that about the strongest Saints team available bar Harley and Horne? So can’t see they are only picking who is available, they’ve gone for the win and momentum.
Should be a limit on the amount of 1st team players in any AW game, if this tournament is really about building players for the future

 
Re: Horwill returns - Team is up
Saint.Kenneth (IP Logged)
01 February, 2018 19:32
This thing about the tournament being for up and coming players...... is that in the rules of the competition or a gentleman's agreement between clubs?

It's such a shame the tournament is so devalued from the competition that the domestic cup used to be.

 
Re: Horwill returns - Team is up
blucherquin (IP Logged)
01 February, 2018 20:10
Quote:
Fearless Fred
Quote:
T-Bone
Quote:
blucherquin
Quote:
fandg2
It's worth clicking on the quins link, at the bottom JK gives a comprehensive injury update

Collier available next week
Swiel two weeks away
Waters back mid Feb
Clifford - 4/5 weeks
The Cat, taking more impacts in training, but its a confidence thing with the extent of the damage and how he got the injury
Saili, off to see specialist again — Chis was out 7 months, so we have to wait to see
Elia — two months out
Merrick - two months out
Walker — back shortly, 2/3 weeks

thanks for that. Good to hear Collier, Walker and Swiel are back soon.

Cat is an odd one. Missed Merrick getting injured. One back, one out.

Shame about Elia


As for Saints fielding a strong team, could be that they want to maintain momentum under Gaffney after their bad patch. But yes, could also be just because they want to qualify, or picking whoever is available, rather like us at times

To be fair, I can see why he may need to get back some confidence. When he was injured, he had an extended peiod on the floor where he couldn't breathe anywhere near properly. That's enough to put the screaming heeby-jeebies up anyone, I'd say. Yes, it was a freak injury, but as PTerry Pratchett one said: "Million to one shots can happen nine times out of ten" so in the back of the Cat's mind will be the thought that it *could* happen again...

Totally agree - must have been terrifying.

It sounds like he’s wary of contact - which isn’t surprising considering he might have thought he was going to die.

 
Re: Horwill returns - Team is up
01 February, 2018 20:18
I understand he’s had to have speech therapy as his vocal chords were so bashed about too.

 
Re: Horwill returns - Team is up
Bellyfull (IP Logged)
01 February, 2018 20:56
Well if the cat is fit but not right mentally, how long do you give him before you get rid?

 
Re: Horwill returns - Team is up
blucherquin (IP Logged)
01 February, 2018 21:02
Quote:
Bellyfull
Well if the cat is fit but not right mentally, how long do you give him before you get rid?

Lovely stuff.

 
Re: Horwill returns - Team is up
Bolly-Quin (IP Logged)
01 February, 2018 21:57
Quote:
quinsfan123
That bloody dead rubber La Rochelle game proved costly - Elia and Merrick for two months apiece was very unfortunate.

Sure - we had lots of hookers and locks spare and resting...

 
Re: Horwill returns - Team is up
ballsout (IP Logged)
02 February, 2018 11:35
Quote:
fandg2
JK gives a comprehensive injury update

Not like Kingston to give a comprehensive update on injuries. Oh wait.

 
Re: Horwill returns - Team is up
HonkyTonk (IP Logged)
02 February, 2018 11:39
Quote:
Bellyfull
Well if the cat is fit but not right mentally, how long do you give him before you get rid?

You dont, you help the bloke out

 
Re: Horwill returns - Team is up
Fursty (IP Logged)
02 February, 2018 11:49
Quote:
blucherquin
Quote:
Bellyfull
Well if the cat is fit but not right mentally, how long do you give him before you get rid?

Lovely stuff.

Quite - the mental aspect is just as much a part of the injury as the physical.

 
Re: Horwill returns - Team is up
Bellyfull (IP Logged)
02 February, 2018 12:52
But how long do you give him? Quins are not a charity and when you play rugby you should be aware of the risks.

 
Re: Horwill returns - Team is up
HonkyTonk (IP Logged)
02 February, 2018 13:12
Quote:
Bellyfull
But how long do you give him? Quins are not a charity and when you play rugby you should be aware of the risks.

As I said, you give him as long as it takes. The mental side is just as important as the physical side. Until both are right he is still injured. Should we get rid of Bothma, Salli while we are at it?? Maybe we should have told Twomey to clear off as well??

 
Re: Horwill returns - Team is up
blucherquin (IP Logged)
02 February, 2018 13:38
Quote:
Bellyfull
But how long do you give him? Quins are not a charity and when you play rugby you should be aware of the risks.

I’d be more than a little surprised if a professional rugby player doesn’t know he could in principle die playing rugby.

I’d say experiencing an injury that makes you think you’ve broken your neck or are going to choke to death on the pitch however isn’t something that you can really mentally prepare for

Bizarre that you want him out of the club who owe him a duty of care within a few months.

Twomey had an injury that meant he was out for 15 months - presumably we should have sacked him too.



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2018 13:40 by blucherquin.

 
Re: Horwill returns - Team is up
Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
02 February, 2018 13:43
Didn't Robshaw have a long term injury, early in his career?

 
Re: Horwill returns - Team is up
Bellyfull (IP Logged)
02 February, 2018 14:31
But they were physical injuries. You are now dealing with mental illness which he may never get over

 
Re: Horwill returns - Team is up
Quinten Poulsen (IP Logged)
02 February, 2018 14:52
Yeah he should be in the nut house.

 
Re: Horwill returns - Team is up
Almost quin (IP Logged)
02 February, 2018 15:01
Come on guys bellyfull May be being premature but like it or not there will come a time that a decision will have to be made just as it would if it was a physical injury that was not healing but we are some time off that yet

 
Re: Horwill returns - Team is up
Duckonstilts (IP Logged)
02 February, 2018 15:24
None of my business being a Saints fan but You stick by a player as long as it takes. Duty of care is a moral obligation and if you want another reason, players wont want to sign with a club that wont have their back during the dark times.

As for our team? Its a bit stronger than most of us predicted. We do have quite a few injuries but its clear we are putting the Win ahead of development. But when your first team are so poor you work on developing them first ;-)

 
Re: Horwill returns - Team is up
blucherquin (IP Logged)
02 February, 2018 17:14
Quote:
Almost quin
Come on guys bellyfull May be being premature but like it or not there will come a time that a decision will have to be made just as it would if it was a physical injury that was not healing but we are some time off that yet

Three years for Lowe - so I’d say we check back in 2021.

 
Re: Horwill returns - Team is up
Mayor West (IP Logged)
02 February, 2018 17:59
Would you expect to get sacked after being badly hurt in the workplace Bellyfull?

 
Re: Horwill returns - Team is up
RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
02 February, 2018 18:43
Lowe wasn't out for 3 years straight. Think steggers was the longest single injury since I've been watching.

 
Re: Horwill returns - Team is up
blucherquin (IP Logged)
02 February, 2018 19:07
Quote:
RodneyRegis
Lowe wasn't out for 3 years straight. Think steggers was the longest single injury since I've been watching.

No sure, but the point from bellyful is silly - of course if his playing career is over Quins would handle it properly but we’re hardly there yet. Reddish, Lowe etc etc

Clearly they’ll give him until next season minimum and see where things are.


Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net
 
 

Who is online?

Total users online:  

Most users online:  

Users on this site:  

Where are they?