rugbyunion
Latest News:

Quinssa WebsiteQuins News from News NowQuins Official Site


ITV Robshaw interview
Hellequin (IP Logged)
04 February, 2018 14:25
Interesting interview in the prematch buildup on ITV, comes across really well, a bit of sympathy about being blamed for the rwc 15 failures

 
Re: ITV Robshaw interview
simjam (IP Logged)
04 February, 2018 19:16
The decision to go for the try v Wales rather than take 3 points was wrong.But the draw would suit us more than them scenario should have been discussed prior to the game, it obviously never was so Robshaw getting lambasted for that decision by the media (Barnes in particular) was wrong. Blame the coaching staff for that one.

 
Re: ITV Robshaw interview
Roaming Quin (IP Logged)
05 February, 2018 07:19
Would have been wrong if we scored? Also if we went for 3 and Farrell missed would he have been receiving the same bad press? No so scapegoat springs to mind. Luckily 3 yrs have passed since and weve moved on and hes still 1st name on team sheet says something about the man.

 
Re: ITV Robshaw interview
Dave L (IP Logged)
05 February, 2018 09:38
He was a hide into nothing with that call. We were comfortably winning that game until the coaching team decided to make the Burgess / Ford sub. We should never have even been in that position.

Robshaw was never the fashionable choice as Captain. He wasn't a proper 7 (as is in vogue one year on, one year off and always with the likes of Stuart Barnes) and never comes across as a chest beating warrior type like Haskell for example. I kind of understand that - Lancaster's England did come across as a bit too nice at times when the Celts and not understanding of just how much the Celts upped their game when playing us.

In my opinion he can be proud of his contribution for club and country and the way every one of his coaches has treated him says more about him than any pundit could.



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/02/2018 09:40 by Dave L.

 
Re: ITV Robshaw interview
RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
05 February, 2018 12:19
Quote:
Dave L
He was a hide into nothing with that call. We were comfortably winning that game until the coaching team decided to make the Burgess / Ford sub. We should never have even been in that position.
Robshaw was never the fashionable choice as Captain. He wasn't a proper 7 (as is in vogue one year on, one year off and always with the likes of Stuart Barnes) and never comes across as a chest beating warrior type like Haskell for example. I kind of understand that - Lancaster's England did come across as a bit too nice at times when the Celts and not understanding of just how much the Celts upped their game when playing us.

In my opinion he can be proud of his contribution for club and country and the way every one of his coaches has treated him says more about him than any pundit could.

What was in his hide?

 
Re: ITV Robshaw interview
Dave L (IP Logged)
05 February, 2018 14:10
Quote:
RodneyRegis
Quote:
Dave L
He was a hide into nothing with that call. We were comfortably winning that game until the coaching team decided to make the Burgess / Ford sub. We should never have even been in that position.
Robshaw was never the fashionable choice as Captain. He wasn't a proper 7 (as is in vogue one year on, one year off and always with the likes of Stuart Barnes) and never comes across as a chest beating warrior type like Haskell for example. I kind of understand that - Lancaster's England did come across as a bit too nice at times when the Celts and not understanding of just how much the Celts upped their game when playing us.

In my opinion he can be proud of his contribution for club and country and the way every one of his coaches has treated him says more about him than any pundit could.

What was in his hide?

Ah pants. Hiding to nothing obviously! Stupid tablet keyboard and predictive text.

 
Re: ITV Robshaw interview
Yareet (IP Logged)
05 February, 2018 15:17
Quote:
simjam
The decision to go for the try v Wales rather than take 3 points was wrong.But the draw would suit us more than them scenario should have been discussed prior to the game, it obviously never was so Robshaw getting lambasted for that decision by the media (Barnes in particular) was wrong. Blame the coaching staff for that one.

A week before, Japan decided to go for the try against South Africa and it was lauded as a great move.

Higher risk decisions tend to be seen through the prism of the outcome.

 
Re: ITV Robshaw interview
poorfour (IP Logged)
05 February, 2018 19:25
Didn't the draw only work out for England because we had got 5 points against Fiji but Wales didn't - but we didn't actually know that at the time of the Wales game, as they didn't play Fiji until later?

Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

 
Re: ITV Robshaw interview
blucherquin (IP Logged)
06 February, 2018 06:59
Quote:
poorfour
Didn't the draw only work out for England because we had got 5 points against Fiji but Wales didn't - but we didn't actually know that at the time of the Wales game, as they didn't play Fiji until later?
Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Yes exactly that.

 
Re: ITV Robshaw interview
1908 (IP Logged)
06 February, 2018 07:15
If there is a rugby God then Robshaw will be holding the trophy up in Japan.

He is such a great ambassador for Quins, England and the game of rugby.

 
Re: ITV Robshaw interview
FGGQuin (IP Logged)
06 February, 2018 11:17
Chris Robshaw has spent the vast majority of, if not his whole England career either being fiercely criticised or at the most given grudging, half-hearted praise by large sections of the supposedly informed rugby media, especially certain part-time "pundits".

He was a convenient scapegoat for the RWC15 shambles (which was far far more deeply rooted than one decision on whether to kick to the corner). At the time, he was far too professional and decent a person to complain about his treatment. Instead he just got on with playing to a consistently high standard, as he has always done for Quins and England.

Funnily enough, it is the people who watch him most, i.e. Quins supporters, Quins management and successive England head coaches who rate him the highest. Lancaster made him Captain (quite rightly, I believe he should still be Captain of Quins and England) and now Jones picks him whenever he is available to play even though he was once one of those "pundits" who had a go at him.

As you can probably tell, this subject has annoyed me for many years!

P.S. Mike Brown is a similar target for the "pundits" who have been trying for years to get him dropped for whoever was or is now the flavour of the month; Ben Foden, Alex Goode, Anthony Watson etc.

 
Re: ITV Robshaw interview
Scaramouche (IP Logged)
06 February, 2018 11:34
I would definitely buy that man a pint!

It would have to be in 2 half pint glasses though I guess.



Rodders you p-lonker!

 
Re: ITV Robshaw interview
Squid (IP Logged)
06 February, 2018 22:14
Quote:
FGGQuin
Chris Robshaw has spent the vast majority of, if not his whole England career either being fiercely criticised or at the most given grudging, half-hearted praise by large sections of the supposedly informed rugby media, especially certain part-time "pundits".
He was a convenient scapegoat for the RWC15 shambles (which was far far more deeply rooted than one decision on whether to kick to the corner). At the time, he was far too professional and decent a person to complain about his treatment. Instead he just got on with playing to a consistently high standard, as he has always done for Quins and England.

Funnily enough, it is the people who watch him most, i.e. Quins supporters, Quins management and successive England head coaches who rate him the highest. Lancaster made him Captain (quite rightly, I believe he should still be Captain of Quins and England) and now Jones picks him whenever he is available to play even though he was once one of those "pundits" who had a go at him.

As you can probably tell, this subject has annoyed me for many years!


P.S. Mike Brown is a similar target for the "pundits" who have been trying for years to get him dropped for whoever was or is now the flavour of the month; Ben Foden, Alex Goode, Anthony Watson etc.

Agree 100%. Kvesic, Armitage, and even Wood - all touted for years as much better for England than Robshaw by the likes of Barnes and Jones, yet he's seen them all off.


Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net
 
 

Who is online?

Total users online:  

Most users online:  

Users on this site:  

Where are they?