rugbyunion
Latest News:

Quinssa WebsiteQuins News from News NowQuins Official Site

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Quins sign Max Crumpton
blucherquin (IP Logged)
05 February, 2018 14:57
HARLEQUINS IS TODAY (MONDAY 5TH FEBRUARY) EXCITED TO ANNOUNCE THAT MAX CRUMPTON HAS SIGNED UNTIL THE SUMMER OF 2020, WITH IMMEDIATE EFFECT.

On signing for the Club, Crumpton said: "I'm delighted to return to Harlequins. When I was here on loan, I held the Club in high regards and it was always somewhere I wanted to return to.

"Being a forward, I'm looking forward to working with Graham Rowntree, Nick Easter and guys that I knew here before in an environment that John Kingston is building."

A graduate of Saracens' Academy, Crumpton joined Harlequins on loan for the 2013/14 season before heading to Bristol in the Summer of 2014. In his time with the West Country club, Crumpton played 51 times over four seasons, scoring 18 tries in the process.

On the international stage, Crumpton has represented England at U16s, U18s and U20s level, playing in the Junior World Championships in 2012.

On his new signing, Harlequins' Director of Rugby, John Kingston, added: "I was hugely impressed with Max in the time he was at the Club on loan and I have watched his career with interest.

"He is a dynamic young English hooker who has a great future ahead of him and once again has the drive and determination to reach the very top, which is always so important."

Player profile

Max Crumpton
Hooker
D.O.B: 25/10/1993
Height: 5'11"
Weight: 102 KG

Re: Quins sign Max Crumpton
RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
05 February, 2018 15:05
Welcome Max. Let's hope he can throw. Remember the name but not a great deal about his performances.

Jim H (IP Logged)
05 February, 2018 15:15
If he can stay fit then he'll do alright, he's been good when fit for Bris, but not been able to stay injury free for long (seem to recall it's shoulder issues he's had).

leaves us a bit short though.

thomh (IP Logged)
05 February, 2018 15:17
18 tries in 51 appearances is a bizarre record for a hooker. Does he hang onto the back of Bristol's driving mauls?

Cookie (IP Logged)
05 February, 2018 15:29
Wouldn't be a standard Quins signing if he didn't a questionable injury record.

EverOptimistic (IP Logged)
05 February, 2018 15:35
Fairly stark statement from Bris

"Max Crumpton has joined Harlequins with immediate effect, the club can confirm.

The hooker who has been ruled out of action since October with a knee injury agreed to leave Bristol Rugby by mutual consent on Wednesday, 31 January.

Crumpton made 51 appearances for the club since his arrival in 2014."

Supporters had a lot of time for him here, when he was fit. He's very mobile for a hooker which may explain the tries.

Samquin (IP Logged)
05 February, 2018 15:38
Who will he be replacing assuming he can get fit.

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
05 February, 2018 15:42
Another sick note then?

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
05 February, 2018 15:43
Is a bit of a weird one. If he was any good surely he'd have got AP gametime whilst we had him on loan from sarries?

BuckQuin (IP Logged)
05 February, 2018 15:45
Quote:
Samquin

Joe Gray I would have thought. Also wouldn't be surprised to see Dave Ward leave - what with Buchanan, Elia and presumably Crumpton all ahead of him in the pecking order when all are fit...

Boffboy (IP Logged)
05 February, 2018 15:52
Well theres a signing to get people clambering for next years season tickets !!

blucherquin (IP Logged)
05 February, 2018 15:55
Quote:
Boffboy

Yes because we knew so much about Smith, Boyce, Bothma, Elia, etc etc

Bolly-Quin (IP Logged)
05 February, 2018 16:04
I'm sure we have heard this chap (6 posts to date) before, but with a different handle...

xxxxxsb?

T-Bone (IP Logged)
05 February, 2018 16:07
Quote:
BuckQuin
Quote:
Samquin

Joe Gray I would have thought. Also wouldn't be surprised to see Dave Ward leave - what with Buchanan, Elia and presumably Crumpton all ahead of him in the pecking order when all are fit...

Why would Crumpton be ahead of Ward in the pecking order, the player who has been first choice for a lot of this season, and captain? I think he recently signed a new contract too.

Gray probably leaving, and maybe one of the two academy chaps? Piper and someone else.

Doubt Buchanan is leaving as JK was picking him as first choice before his injury.

Don't remember much about this guy. Seems like a slightly odd signing given the numbers we have in the position, and his likely position in the pecking order, but I guess it'll become clearer when we know who's leaving.

Don't really remember him from before, just the name. Let's hope he can get fit, not be another injured player we sign who barely plays. Look forward to seeing how he goes. Welcome Max

never sleep (IP Logged)
05 February, 2018 16:08
Did anyone figure out if he actually played for us when he was last with the club.
I think he was injury cover for Grey and I see that he was listed as a replacement on the bench for the LI game at the end of March 2014. I think that he had already signed for Bristol at that point - so we probably were only going to use him in an emergency.
I think I have a recollection of him playing for an A-League match though.

thomh (IP Logged)
05 February, 2018 16:10
I've completely lost track of who we're currently missing at hooker. Anyone got the information to hand/mind?

never sleep (IP Logged)
05 February, 2018 16:12
BQ - just to save you a job
"Mr MacNutpox"

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
05 February, 2018 16:14
Quote:
blucherquin
Quote:
Boffboy

But we do know about crumpton, he was on loan with us and has moved clubs without ever doing anything special. We knew that Dave Lewis wasn't very good...

Guess we'll have to hope he's more of a molenaar than a pdj.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/02/2018 16:15 by RodneyRegis.

fandg2 (IP Logged)
05 February, 2018 17:06
Quote:
RodneyRegis

lol liked this, could see it becoming some sort of mantra

akb1 (IP Logged)
05 February, 2018 17:21
Quote:
thomh
I've completely lost track of who we're currently missing at hooker. Anyone got the information to hand/mind?
Buchanan and Elia injured. As far as I know everyone else is available.

New Forest Quin (IP Logged)
05 February, 2018 17:23
Quote:
thomh

Dave Ward, Joe Gray,Charlie Piper and Mike Meyhew-Available for selection
Elia Elia (foot op)out for 2 months and Buchanan not available for the foreseeable future due to long term injury.

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
05 February, 2018 17:30
Quote:
RodneyRegis
Quote:
blucherquin
Quote:
Boffboy

But we do know about crumpton, he was on loan with us and has moved clubs without ever doing anything special.

Context is important here. 51 games, 18 tries. That's pretty special for a hooker. Can't think of many to better that. Brits, maybe?

Jim H (IP Logged)
05 February, 2018 17:33
Quote:
thomh
18 tries in 51 appearances is a bizarre record for a hooker. Does he hang onto the back of Bristol's driving mauls?

Yes, he did.

Camquin (IP Logged)
05 February, 2018 18:46
FOur tries came in one match against Richmond,
Quote:

Crumpton touched down for the first of his four identical scores at the back of an impressive Bristol maul.

RleQuin (IP Logged)
05 February, 2018 19:01
Who keeps signing all these crocks?
RleQ

blucherquin (IP Logged)
05 February, 2018 19:15
Quote:
RodneyRegis
Quote:
blucherquin
Quote:
Boffboy

But we do know about crumpton, he was on loan with us and has moved clubs without ever doing anything special. We knew that Dave Lewis wasn't very good...

Thats not particularly fair to him, he was Sarries Academy, Short loan to us, then signed for Bristol where hes stayed. And he played at all England age groups.

Its not like hes bounced around from club to club.

quinsfan123 (IP Logged)
05 February, 2018 20:39
Perhaps Buchanan has a career ending injury and he is for him. Don't understand why we didn't try and poach a Scalk Brits to be honest who would have complimented Piper, Eilia et al.

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
05 February, 2018 20:42
Quote:
quinsfan123
Perhaps Buchanan has a career ending injury and he is for him.

I did wonder this. We haven't seen or heard of him in a long while.

Personally I think Elia is a great prospect, and Piper always looks handy when he comes on. Ward is a useful player to have for his utility value alone. Maybe Gray and Buchanan are both heading off.

QuinAlan (IP Logged)
05 February, 2018 21:38
Agree with Quinky here. On the subject of signing crocks, Ollie Kohn was a crock when Deano signed him & he turned out OK. You could argue that its perhaps fools gold but could turn into very shrewd business if we get these guys cheaper but have to fix them first.

PJ61Quin (IP Logged)
05 February, 2018 22:35
I met Rob Buchanan recently at my local club. The op on his neck didn't go as well as he would of hoped. He says he thinks that's it for this season, but he is putting all his focus on getting himself fit & ready for next. Certainly no indication that he considered his career was over, or that he would be moving away from Quins.

Scrumhead (IP Logged)
06 February, 2018 08:13
Quote:
PJ61Quin
I met Rob Buchanan recently at my local club. The op on his neck didn't go as well as he would of hoped. He says he thinks that's it for this season, but he is putting all his focus on getting himself fit & ready for next. Certainly no indication that he considered his career was over, or that he would be moving away from Quins.

Yep. He said pretty much the same to me when I saw him in the bar during the Champions Cup win against Wasps.

I’m assuming Crumpton will be replacing Gray. IIRC, Mayhew was only on a short term deal.

Cookie (IP Logged)
06 February, 2018 10:28
Quote:
QuinAlan
Agree with Quinky here. On the subject of signing crocks, Ollie Kohn was a crock when Deano signed him & he turned out OK. You could argue that its perhaps fools gold but could turn into very shrewd business if we get these guys cheaper but have to fix them first.

One or two is fine, but we're doing it an awful lot lately. It's a risky strategy.

talkshowhost86 (IP Logged)
06 February, 2018 11:10
Crumpton in for Grey is fine. Can't really get overly worked up over what is presumably a 3rd choice hooker at best.

The issue remains that we don't have a quality first choice hooker, and it seems a position we are unwilling or unable to rectify.

I think both Ward and Buchanan have shown their limitations meaning I don't think they would take us to the top 4 place that we are apparently aiming for.

I thought we were looking to deal with that situation internally by pushing Elia, but even before his injury we seemed to prefer Ward, so I'm not sure if he's seen as the long term option either.

So welcome to Max. I hope he does well and is able to develop and improve at Quins.

Now let's back that up with a real star in that position (though I suspect that is wishful thinking).

Scaramouche (IP Logged)
06 February, 2018 11:33
That phrase oft used "the environment that JK is building" is becoming very much like "there's something special happening".....

If at first you don't succeed, Try, Try and Try again.

Fursty (IP Logged)
06 February, 2018 11:40
I'd be happy to go into next season with Elia Elia as our 1st choice hooker - great round the pitch and seems to have pretty good darts. (No idea what is scrummaging is like)

Cookie (IP Logged)
06 February, 2018 11:52
Quote:
Fursty
I'd be happy to go into next season with Elia Elia as our 1st choice hooker - great round the pitch and seems to have pretty good darts. (No idea what is scrummaging is like)

Until you look at the top sides and see Cowan-Dickie, Dunn, Brits, George, Taylor, Hibbard etc. We simply do not compete in this position and it's a mental block we seem incapable of overcoming.

Fursty (IP Logged)
06 February, 2018 12:06
Quote:
Cookie
Quote:
Fursty

Until you look at the top sides and see Cowan-Dickie, Dunn, Brits, George, Taylor, Hibbard etc. We simply do not compete in this position and it's a mental block we seem incapable of overcoming.

Sure he won't be the best hooker in the league but the nature of the salary cap is that you can't have the best player in every position - going into next season we'll have the best prop options in the league (assuming with can keep them fit/not suspended) if that means we have to compromise at hooker a little then it's a trade off I can live with.

He's also only 22 with plenty of potential to become as good as some of the names you mention.

Cookie (IP Logged)
06 February, 2018 12:19
Quote:
Fursty
Quote:
Cookie
Quote:
Fursty

Sure he won't be the best hooker in the league but the nature of the salary cap is that you can't have the best player in every position - going into next season we'll have the best prop options in the league (assuming with can keep them fit/not suspended) if that means we have to compromise at hooker a little then it's a trade off I can live with.

He's also only 22 with plenty of potential to become as good as some of the names you mention.

2, 8, 9, 10 & 15 are the key positions. Still not sure we've sorted 8 and definitely haven't sorted 2. Rest are ok. It's one of the most important positions as there'll be around 15 times in a game when you're relying on him to retain possession from a lineout.

Fursty (IP Logged)
06 February, 2018 12:25
Quote:
Cookie

2, 8, 9, 10 & 15 are the key positions. Still not sure we've sorted 8 and definitely haven't sorted 2. Rest are ok. It's one of the most important positions as there'll be around 15 times in a game when you're relying on him to retain possession from a lineout.

From what we've seen so far his throwing is pretty good - more of an issue next season in the lineouts could be our 2nd row, with Matthews leaving that could leave us exposed there. Especially if you consider that our best backrow will likely be Robshaw, Chisholm & Bothma, none of whom offer a great deal in the lineout.

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
06 February, 2018 13:11
Quote:
Fursty
Quote:
Cookie
Quote:
Fursty

He's 24...

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
06 February, 2018 13:39
Quote:
talkshowhost86
Crumpton in for Grey is fine. Can't really get overly worked up over what is presumably a 3rd choice hooker at best.

Smith was 3rd or 4th choice flyhalf. Boyce was down the pecking order. I find it's best to see what someone has to offer before defining them as "3rd choice at best". These things have a habit of changing.

Quote:
talkshowhost86
The issue remains that we don't have a quality first choice hooker, and it seems a position we are unwilling or unable to rectify.

That's a big leap. Elia is an international hooker at the start of his career. I'd suggest he's quality. As for "unwilling or unable", that's a huge assumption.

Fursty (IP Logged)
06 February, 2018 14:27
Quote:
RodneyRegis
Quote:
Fursty
Quote:
Cookie
Quote:
Fursty

He's 24...

The oracle that is wikipedia says he was born January 1996....

thomh (IP Logged)
06 February, 2018 14:29
Quins website says October 1993

[www.quins.co.uk]

Fursty (IP Logged)
06 February, 2018 14:31
Sorry for any confusion .... I was talking about Elia Elia.

oakhaven (IP Logged)
06 February, 2018 14:55
If Buchanan gets back to where he was a couple of seasons ago he'd be head and shoulders above the rest of our hookers. That's a big "if" though - we seem to make a habit of getting 2 or 3 good seasons out of our hookers before they go off the boil a bit (thinking specifically of Brooker, Gray and arguably Ward in recent years).

thomh (IP Logged)
06 February, 2018 15:06
I don't the club can be blamed for Brooker. He was playing very well before the horror injury, unless I'm misremembering.

quinsfan123 (IP Logged)
06 February, 2018 15:24
Quote:
Fursty
Quote:
Cookie

From what we've seen so far his throwing is pretty good - more of an issue next season in the lineouts could be our 2nd row, with Matthews leaving that could leave us exposed there. Especially if you consider that our best backrow will likely be Robshaw, Chisholm & Bothma, none of whom offer a great deal in the lineout.

Both Robshaw and Bothma are pretty handy in the line out.

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
06 February, 2018 16:00
And horwill, and twomey.

06 February, 2018 16:03
Yeah I don't think the quality of our jumpers is the issue with our lineout.

It's been the throwing (at times) and the complete dogs dinner we often make of it even when we do collect the ball, which to be fair is also sometimes down to whoever is the hooker.

blucherquin (IP Logged)
06 February, 2018 16:23
Quote:
Fursty
Quote:
RodneyRegis
Quote:
Fursty
Quote:
Cookie
Quote:
Fursty

He's 24...

The oracle that is wikipedia says he was born January 1996....

Yeah on this point (this being Elia) - Im pretty sure hes going to end up comparing very favourably to all the players listed above. Hes only 22, already starting for Samoa, and has looked great for us this year.

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
06 February, 2018 16:59
Yep, looks the bees' knees to me.

06 February, 2018 17:03
It's why I was surprised Elia seemingly got dropped for Ward after his brief run in the team where he did pretty well.

Maybe he was carrying an injury, because if not it would have been a slightly odd decision considering the issues we've had in that position for so many years.

EverOptimistic (IP Logged)
06 February, 2018 17:51
Pat Lam has commented on Max's move in the Bristol Post:

"He said: "Max has been here since June 2014, hes had a total of 12 injuries, he has missed a total of 272 days and in the last six months since I arrived he has had four injuries and missed 165 days so it is a lot of time.

Hope he has better luck with you!

blucherquin (IP Logged)
06 February, 2018 17:53
Quote:
EverOptimistic
"He said: "Max has been here since June 2014, hes had a total of 12 injuries, he has missed a total of 272 days and in the last six months since I arrived he has had four injuries and missed 165 days so it is a lot of time.

Im beginning to think weve got a scam going on with hosipital services

RleQuin (IP Logged)
06 February, 2018 19:30
What person decided that he would be a good signing?
RleQ

kevin (IP Logged)
06 February, 2018 20:57
Quote:
Jim H
If he can stay fit then he'll do alright, he's been good when fit for Bris, but not been able to stay injury free for long (seem to recall it's shoulder issues he's had).

So he is injury prone from a second tier club? Hmmm!

quinsfan123 (IP Logged)
06 February, 2018 21:24
Quote:
kevin
Quote:
Jim H

Such a blatant example of a lack of research and coherent thinking from the Quins management. I don't know why you would consider adding a player who is so evidently injury ridden to are already injury-prone squad that we have at the moment.

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
06 February, 2018 21:37
Quote:
quinsfan123
Quote:
kevin
Quote:
Jim H

Such a blatant example of a lack of research and coherent thinking from the Quins management. I don't know why you would consider adding a player who is so evidently injury ridden to are already injury-prone squad that we have at the moment.

Have you considered that maybe a) they've done more due diligence than read an internet forum, or b) they know more/better than you, or even c) both?

quinsfan123 (IP Logged)
06 February, 2018 23:15
Yes, and JK has done neither

RleQuin (IP Logged)
07 February, 2018 00:53
Surely they had access to the info Pat Lam is quoting.
Would anyone employ someone with a sick record like that to do any job (apart from Quins of course!!)
RleQ

Boffboy (IP Logged)
07 February, 2018 06:35
Quote:
RleQuin
RleQ
Well if JK wasnt in charge of the team at the time of signing it wont be his call

blucherquin (IP Logged)
07 February, 2018 07:25
Quote:
Boffboy
Quote:
RleQuin
RleQ
Well if JK wasnt in charge of the team at the time of signing it wont be his call

Could you at least try to be witty or erudite, it would offset the tedium of the rest of your personality a little.

Scaramouche (IP Logged)
07 February, 2018 08:05
Quote:
Cookie
Quote:
Fursty
Quote:
Cookie
Quote:
Fursty

Think I might add tighthead to that list of key positions. They are highly prized and highly paid.

If at first you don't succeed, Try, Try and Try again.

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
07 February, 2018 09:33
Quote:
quinsfan123

You seriously believe that there was no medical, no due diligence?

Boffboy (IP Logged)
07 February, 2018 09:58
Quote:
blucherquin
Quote:
Boffboy
Quote:
RleQuin
RleQ

Could you at least try to be witty or erudite, it would offset the tedium of the rest of your personality a little.
Sorry BQ I didnt realise there was a benchmark set for wittyness. I apologise most sincerely to your better judgement

blucherquin (IP Logged)
07 February, 2018 10:20
Quote:
Boffboy
Quote:
blucherquin
Quote:
Boffboy
Quote:
RleQuin
RleQ

Sorry BQ I didnt realise there was a benchmark set for wittyness. I apologise most sincerely to your better judgement

Thanks.

07 February, 2018 10:23
Quote:
EverOptimistic

Sounds like an excellent signing for Quins then.

Not quite sure why we think he's suddenly going to be much less injury prone for us.

Maybe if he's simply going to be 4th choice hooker we assume he'll have plenty to time to heal up after the 2 or 3 games he'll play per season.

Fursty (IP Logged)
07 February, 2018 10:36
So before the last 6 months he’d missed 100 days in 3 years due to injury - which for a professional rugby player isn’t huge.

quinsfan123 (IP Logged)
07 February, 2018 11:54
Quote:
Scaramouche
Quote:
Cookie
Quote:
Fursty
Quote:
Cookie
Quote:
Fursty

Think I might add tighthead to that list of key positions. They are highly prized and highly paid.

Sinckler was sub for the lions so think we do have ability in this area plus Colier played for England on the international tour of Argentina and is recognised as one of the best scrummages in the AP. And Mcnulty has potential too.

Stooperman (IP Logged)
07 February, 2018 12:07
Quote:
Fursty
So before the last 6 months he’d missed 100 days in 3 years due to injury - which for a professional rugby player isn’t huge.

Bloody hell, that's 33 games a year. Or actually more games than most teams actually play! That's not such a good record!

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
07 February, 2018 12:10
Quote:
Stooperman
Quote:
Fursty

Bloody hell, that's 33 games a year. Or actually more games than most teams actually play! That's not such a good record!

Days I think, not match days.

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
07 February, 2018 12:10
But 12 injuries certainly demonstrates a pattern, not sure how anyone can say it's not more than average.

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
07 February, 2018 12:40
Quote:
RodneyRegis
But 12 injuries certainly demonstrates a pattern, not sure how anyone can say it's not more than average.

What is average? An injury could be a slight muscles strain meaning he's not fit for one game, or it could a season long injury. Players also play whilst carrying an injury, so the injury may not even rule him out of a game.

12 injuries doesn't demonstrate a pattern. They could be entirely unrelated.

It would be interesting to compare other players, see how many injuries they have, ho long they're out for etc, but I doubt that info is available.

07 February, 2018 12:45
To be fair, 272 days out from June 2014 (between 1250-1300 days in total) is not that bad, and must be in the fairly average allowance for rugby player injuries.

But 165 days out in six months (that's basically the entire time) is a concern, particularly when that's come from 4 different injuries rather than one long term injury.

But as I've said...4th/5th choice hooker probably so I imagine we've just taken a bit of a gamble that he'll be fine in the long term.

Cookie (IP Logged)
07 February, 2018 16:01
Quote:
Quinky Kin
Quote:
quinsfan123

You seriously believe that there was no medical, no due diligence?

Not sure how they did - hes currently injured.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net