07 February, 2018 16:34
Quote:
Cookie
Quote:
Quinky Kin
Quote:
quinsfan123
Yes, and JK has done neither

You seriously believe that there was no medical, no due diligence?

Not sure how they did - he’s currently injured.

You can do a medical on an injured person. That's how you assess the injury.

Re: Quins sign Max Crumpton
T-Bone (IP Logged)
07 February, 2018 16:35
To me denying that his injury record is something of a concern shows a level of blind faith in JK and inability to be remotely objective about him generally that is just as silly as those who scream "JK out" at every opportunity.

Hopefully he'll come good and be a great signing, but it is clearly a big risk.

Cookie (IP Logged)
07 February, 2018 16:38
Quote:
Quinky Kin
Quote:
Cookie
Quote:
Quinky Kin
Quote:
quinsfan123
Yes, and JK has done neither

You seriously believe that there was no medical, no due diligence?

Not sure how they did - he’s currently injured.

You can do a medical on an injured person. That's how you assess the injury.

Only if there's an urgent need e.g. to make a transfer deadline. Where's the urgency here?

As T-Bone says, some comments need to be filed under 'Blind Faith'.

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
07 February, 2018 16:39
To me, the suggestion that any professional sports club would sign a player without a medical and due diligence, is blind criticism and shows a greater inability to be objective. This isn't about JK, it's about Harlequins.

T-Bone (IP Logged)
07 February, 2018 16:47
Quote:
Quinky Kin
To me, the suggestion that any professional sports club would sign a player without a medical and due diligence, is blind criticism and shows a greater inability to be objective. This isn't about JK, it's about Harlequins.

Alex Ferguson signed some chap, Bebe I think, without any DD.

I'm not for one moment saying I don't think the club have done DD and given him a medical, but just think that injury record is a big risk. As you say, it depends a lot on what those injuries are, but even if they're all unrelated, it would at least suggest he's rather injury prone. Who knows, they could all be freak and very minor injuries.

Pointing out that a player who has a track record of injuries is not criticismof DoR or club, in the same way that pointing out that such and such a player has never managed to be first choice for their previous clubs is not necessarily a criticism of DoR or club, just an observation.

JK's track record on signings is so far pretty good, and would be better still if three of the big ones hadn't suffered bad injuries, so I'm more than happy to acknowledge that, but stuill think this is a risk. Ho hum

Cookie (IP Logged)
07 February, 2018 16:50
Quote:
Quinky Kin

Not blind criticism. And not calling out JK.

But can you explain what the urgency was to sign someone currently injured?

talkshowhost86 (IP Logged)
07 February, 2018 16:56
Quote:
T-Bone
To me denying that his injury record is something of a concern shows a level of blind faith in JK and inability to be remotely objective about him generally that is just as silly as those who scream "JK out" at every opportunity.
Hopefully he'll come good and be a great signing, but it is clearly a big risk.

Quite.

HonkyTonk (IP Logged)
07 February, 2018 17:32
Quote:
Cookie
Quote:
Quinky Kin

Interest from elsewhere in him??

Steve05 (IP Logged)
07 February, 2018 18:26
Quote:
RleQuin
Surely they had access to the info Pat Lam is quoting.
Would anyone employ someone with a sick record like that to do any job (apart from Quins of course!!)
RleQ

Ok so lets think rationally here, The lad has been released from a club mid-season, who has released a very blunt statement regarding his release. Something has obviously gone on here and it mustn't be as amicable as it has been made out to be. Lets also be reminded that players sign contracts, Max wouldn't have been able to just 'decide' to leave Bristol like some of you are insinuating, this would have had to have been initiated by Bristol. They're reasons for release are unknown, but i don't think we should delve too deeply into statements and comments made by a club who have just released a player. I will remind you, a player that has made 51 appearances, 18 tries. A pretty decent record for a hooker! Give the kid a chance instead of pre judging him and lets see how he does for us. He played all age levels for England, and maybe just hasn't been given the exposure he deserves at Bristol.

With regards to injuries, i think we should look at this in more detail. Pat Lam stated he has had 12 injuries since being with them? So, from a bit of research i can see he has had two 'serious' injuries. First being a knee injury back in December 2014 which ruled him out for 5 months and then another knee injury this season from Sept til now, another 4/5 months. Those two in itself are the approx 272 days, so whatever the other 10 injuries he felt relevant to mention, they were clearly only niggles and nothing to be concerned about. Look at facts before judging a young player, whom from his actual playing record look rather promising!!

T-Bone (IP Logged)
07 February, 2018 20:48
People aren't writing him off in terms of his ability, just stating that his injury record is a concern. Not sure why that is do controversial or how it suggests we're looking for any old stick to beat the club with

kevin (IP Logged)
07 February, 2018 21:41
Quote:
Steve05
Quote:
RleQuin
Would anyone employ someone with a sick record like that to do any job (apart from Quins of course!!)
RleQ

Ok so lets think rationally here, The lad has been released from a club mid-season, who has
Are you his agent?

blucherquin (IP Logged)
07 February, 2018 23:58
Quote:
kevin
Quote:
Steve05
Quote:
RleQuin
RleQ

Ok so lets think rationally here, The lad has been released from a club mid-season, who has
Are you his agent?

And if you are, has he considered Sunbury as a place to live?

fandg2 (IP Logged)
08 February, 2018 08:20
I haven't seen my thought posted here, so thought I'd just throw my bit in. I guess we are actually paying him?

It may be that JK has just thrown him a lifeline that's costing us zip but may pay dividends if 'we' can get him fit to play. Only needs a clause in his contract ie paid so much IF fit.

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
08 February, 2018 11:56
Quote:
talkshowhost86
To be fair, 272 days out from June 2014 (between 1250-1300 days in total) is not that bad, and must be in the fairly average allowance for rugby player injuries.
But 165 days out in six months (that's basically the entire time) is a concern, particularly when that's come from 4 different injuries rather than one long term injury.

But as I've said...4th/5th choice hooker probably so I imagine we've just taken a bit of a gamble that he'll be fine in the long term.

The season is not 365 days a year.

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
08 February, 2018 13:39
Quote:
Cookie
Quote:
Quinky Kin

No. But we don't know if it was urgency, or if there have been discussions going on for a long time. He was released with immediate effect - that's Bristol's decision. Quins may have been looking to sign him from next season, but brought that forward to provide emergency cover, or to get him fit and training with the squad sooner.

None of us know, and we likely never will. He may turn out to be just not good enough, or injury prone, or fourth choice and rarely seen; he may also find the inspiration and coaching that he needs, and become the next Keith Wood. Time will tell.

fandg2 (IP Logged)
08 February, 2018 14:29
Quote:
Quinky Kin
......and become the next Keith Wood. Time will tell.

Oh, don't get me dreaming ;-)

Good post as well

never sleep (IP Logged)
08 February, 2018 16:09
Quote:
fandg2
Quote:
Quinky Kin

Good post as well

Its a pity he isn't a prop - then he could have been the next John Kingston :-)

RleQuin (IP Logged)
09 February, 2018 00:09
I reckon Bristol couldn’t believe that anyone wanted him!
The whole thing makes no sense at all to me.
This is just the latest in a long line of “Harlequins is excited to announce the signing of....” another injured player.
Surely you are better off signing someone who is fit and able?
RleQ

talkshowhost86 (IP Logged)
09 February, 2018 06:45
Quote:
RodneyRegis
Quote:
talkshowhost86
To be fair, 272 days out from June 2014 (between 1250-1300 days in total) is not that bad, and must be in the fairly average allowance for rugby player injuries.
But 165 days out in six months (that's basically the entire time) is a concern, particularly when that's come from 4 different injuries rather than one long term injury.

But as I've said...4th/5th choice hooker probably so I imagine we've just taken a bit of a gamble that he'll be fine in the long term.

The season is not 365 days a year.

True but I'm not sure if Lam is making that distinction.

Obviously it's even more worrying if he was.

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
09 February, 2018 08:57
Quote:
RleQuin

You think they seemed glad to be rid of him?

Cookie (IP Logged)
09 February, 2018 11:54
Quote:
Quinky Kin
Quote:
RleQuin

Teams don't let players go mid-season. Unless..........

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
09 February, 2018 13:36
Quote:
Cookie
Quote:
Quinky Kin
Quote:
RleQuin

Teams don't let players go mid-season. Unless..........

They didn't seem too happy to me. Players may be released for a number of reasons. Perhaps they're saving money, and if he's not playing that make perfect sense. Or they could be sending a message to others that they don't like talks going on mid-season. I guess we'll never know.

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
09 February, 2018 13:37
Quote:
fandg2
Quote:
Quinky Kin

Good post as well

Thank you smileys with beer

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net